HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 2:40 AM
Fourth and Main

This is an interesting project for the corner of Spruce Street and Holly Avenue, across from Winston Square Park. The Arts Council created detailed plans for these lots and acquired them for arts development.

Downtown Art & History Museum:
Metropolis is the architect for this project. The site is owned by The Arts Council of Winston-Salem. According to the architect "The museum is designed as a complement to the strong arts presence along Spruce Street and the Stevens Center on Fourth Street. By day, the building silhouette complements the sawtooth profile of the Milton Rhodes Center. The sawtooth profile includes solar panels oriented to the south and skylights facing north. The combination of art and lighting will bring the streetscape alive with an extraordinary visual display. Along with state of the art exhibition space, the building will include a retail shop and a Spruce Street restaurant with a dining terrace." Innovative features include a living wall on the spruce street facade, nanotechnology based building materials, and LED light panels for digital art murals and animations.

Credit: Metropolis Architects

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 6:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money doing this. This thread is for those of us who live in other states and want to 'see' what is happening and for those who live in Winston-Salem and want to know about that construction site they noticed or what is next for downtown. It's for those thinking of moving here or attending college here. Thank you, again, to all of our photographers for helping with this! Please continue to help with this project. Please find this thread useful in learning about this city and its construction.

Are you ready for another performing arts center in downtown? We are seeing a nice increase in the number of new proposals and there is a nice vareity in what is proposed and under construction.

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
My source was right and the restaurant and wine loft opened on Thursday. Reservations required. The hotel is expected to open today. I guess we only have one more post remaining on this project? I'll miss posting on Hotel Indigo. This was one of my favorite construction projects. Everything looks great and this will be a nice addition to downtown. I would like to make the last post on this project a big photography post, with only this project in the post, if possible.

Cladding the stair tower:

Credit: vincerabil

Credit: linvilleteam

Workers haven't installed the marble below the windows, on Thursday:

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

A rare view of the two front sides, showing the painted windows:

Credit: winston_360

Art-O-Mat installed at the new hotel:

Credit: hotelindigowsd

Art-O-Mat is headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem and has art dispensing machines around the world.

Credit: artomat

Ice Maker Cabinet:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

The quotes above the tables of the original 1960s Sir Winston Restaurant are reused in the new Sir Winston Restaurant along the soffit:

Credit: copperhead.studio

Credit: sirwinstonwineloft

The original 1928 terrazzo floor shows where rooms and walls once stood in the former 1920s luxury department store:

Credit: artomat

I think they did restore (partially reconstruct) the transom above the stair entrance (brick building on far left):

Credit: airbyalkali

The new sign is now installed and it looks different from the renderings:

Credit: hotelindigowsd

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
The opening date has changed to June 30. So, it does appear as if Hotel Indigo will open before the Hampton Inn & Suites, though the Hampton Inn & Suites started construction long before Hotel Indigo. I was guessing we would see this happen. I've heard they had to bring-in other contractors to fix the work of previous contractors and some of them said it was mess? I don't know if that is true or not?

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Bottom left corner:

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
Downtown Winston-Salem has zero lot line rules, however it appears as if they allowed the hotel developer to create space between their hotel and the neighboring buildings so all of the hotel rooms could have windows and they could also create outdoor amenity spaces, including an actual courtyard. An artist will paint a mural on the neighboring Foothills Brewing Company Building, in one of these narrow spaces. It should be interesting to see these spaces during construction.

Now in blue:

Credit: CRA

Merschel Park:
A new park located above a large underground parking deck.

Credit: jhize

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:
Installing signage for the creative agency moving into the downtown office space at this office/hotel/restaurant/conference center project. A true mixed-use project! The creative agency said they will move-in to the office space, in this adaptive-reuse project, in a few weeks.

Credit: nu.agency

Theatre Alliance Building:
The Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance is moving to downtown. They received a significant donation to purchase the former Blue Bird Cab Building on Sixth Street and have taken out a loan. They will renovate it into a performing arts complex. The building is around 70 years old. When we have more details, I'll add it to our first post list.

500 West 5th:
Renovating a former 21-storey life insurance company headquarters into Flow's headquarters, with a startup incubator, college student startup spaces, tech company office space, and retail on the lower floors.

A look at the entrance courtyard work:

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
And now this project is appearing in our updates! Two shipping containers will be transformed into a beer garden. One of the shipping containers will be used for cold beer storage and the other as a bar.

Bailey South:
An update on this office and retail development. Still waiting to see a crane rise above the site! They will restore the 1926 power plant building for two floors of retail and construct a new 6-storey office building behind it, with access to the under construction Low Line pedestrian and cycling path.

The original windows are still in place, under the plastic:

Credit: mapmic12

The other side:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

311 East Third:
The development team is confident they will commence work on this 12-storey office and retail project, with underground parking, in the next fifteen months. Atrium Health is believed to be the lead tenant and may announce their lease of this space at the end of this year or early next year. This project is part of $1.5 billion in development, nationwide, this developer would like to begin work on by Summer of next year. The timeline is accelerated. Their other downtown Winston-Salem office developments have leased-up and they are ready to start on the next project.

LJVM Renovation:
These are new renderings for the war memorial. The current 1980s war memorial, with its 500 granite obelisks, will be replaced by this $17.5 million Veterans Plaza. The State of North Carolina has agreed to offer $10 million toward this project. This project includes bronze statues representing the five branches of service, standing guard around the plaza. Statues of Lawrence Joel will be placed in the lobby and in the plaza. A bronze battle cross will also be included in the plaza. Look for historical displays in the lobby, which will become a Hall of Heroes, with banners for each branch of service. In place of the obelisks, Forsyth County veterans' names will be etched in a black granite monument in the shape of the Pentagon. Visitors can make rubbings of the names from the monument. This is expected to become a class field trip destination and it is very classy. The coliseum will also add restrooms with this renovation.

Thank you for your service!

Credit: WFU

Main & Third:
This is an office, retail, and shared parking deck project, discussed as two projects in this thread.

You can see the tower crane and notice the buildings around it are taller than the 110 foot / 33.6 metre tall crane:

Credit: dsagws

A late-night concrete pour at 5 a.m.,:

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Reynolds Place Arts Theatre:
A 350 seat performing arts theatre, constructed inside a former downtown textile factory from 1911.

Credit: stitchdesignshop

First Baptist Church Restoration:

Credit: muffysmitty

St. Pauls Restoration:
Our first photograph update on this exciting project, restoring a church designed by architect Ralph Adams Cram (Cram & Ferguson) from 1928.

Workers are restoring the stained-glass windows:

Credit: femenellaandassociates

Centenary UMC Renovation:
Updating the interior of a church designed by architect Bertram Goodhue in the 1920s. Sadly, the architect didn't get to see the ground breaking. A similar church was built in New York City (Church of the Heavenly Rest), with the same architect using a slightly modified version of this design. The New York City church scaled-back their building, due to the Great Depression. The Winston-Salem church stopped work during the Great Depression and continued raising money until they could complete the church as it was originally designed.

Credit: lambert_architecture

The Exchange at Oak Street: Built!
I think this downtown project was completed a few months ago, but there was never an official announcement? It appears as if the condominiums were very popular.

Credit: GSV

Dave & Buster's:
This entertainment / barcade venue will have a soft opening on May 9 and their official opening is scheduled for May 13.

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:

On the Skyline: Look for the tower crane

Credit: dominicgraymedia

They completed that side, but still haven't started on the front facade:

Credit: rita.bottoms

Alternative Transportation:

East-West Expressway Demolition:
The new Main Street Bridge will open on Wednesday and the Cherry Street Bridge will close for demolition on May 5. On May 11, the new Church Street Bridge will open. The bridges are designed for pedestrian enhancements, expected to start construction next year, and are designed for a future streetcar system.

Pouring the deck on the Church Street Bridge:

Credit: jamesp6460

Low Line:
Transforming a former elevated rail line into a pedestrian walkway.

No construction workers on a Sunday morning:

Credit: rideshareray

Off-Subject:

Thunderbirds Hockey Team Wins FHL Championship:
Winston-Salem's Thunderbirds hockey team has won the FHL Championship! The last time a Winston-Salem hockey team won a league championship was in 1989, when the Thunderbirds won the ECHL Championship. The old Thunderbirds won five league championships in the 1980s. Since so many northern transplants say the hockey games in Winston-Salem have the feel/atmosphere of something from Upstate New York, it's fitting for them to win the championship in Upstate New York. Yes, there is a hockey team in Winston-Salem, if you're interested in seeing them next season. They seem to be very popular. There is also amateur hockey, college hockey, and youth hockey in Winston-Salem, if you're interested.

Winston-Salem Skyline in 1929:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

Credit: higuysimbri

Fun Downtown Alleys / Laneways:

Credit: catbirdartevents

Credit: penny.converse

Your City

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 6:46 AM
Fourth and Main

Hotel Indigo: Built!
Oscar H. Davis, president of Gilmer Inc., moved to Winston-Salem in 1925 with a vision of building a high-class department store. At the time, Winston-Salem was North Carolina's largest city and one of the nation's richest cities. United Stores Realty Corporation funded the project, architects Northrup and O’Brien designed the building, while the Grand Rapids Store Equipment Corporation planned the interior. Contractors Walter Kidde & Co. Inc., employed 250 workmen and began construction in early April 1928. With its lion’s head spouts, it would become one of the first buildings in North Carolina to be built in the Art Deco style. The structure consisted of steel, concrete, terracotta, brick, and pressed brick for the outer walls. The basement excavation was at a depth of twenty-six feet and took 30 days to complete. By late July of 1928, the outside was completed and workers turned their attention to finishing the interior. Upon completion it was hailed as one of the largest and most beautiful mercantile buildings in North Carolina. The Davis-McCollum Company department store opened on October 29, 1928. Davis (company president) and Clifford W. Van Dyke (manager) enticed the public: “Think of it — your very first really high-class, completely cosmopolitan department store — the store you’ve been in dire need of — hoping for, waiting for, is HERE, splendidly ready to serve you.” In July 1929 the Davis-McCollum Company changed their name to Van Dyke’s and Clifford W. Van Dyke became president. At that time the store was recognized in New York as one of the finest department stores in the two Carolinas. It was considered one of only two upscale department stores in the Carolinas. The other was in Charleston.

Credit: Forsyth County Library / N.C. Room

See the storefront window on the far right side:

Credit: Forsyth County Library / N.C. Room Blog

You can see the storefront windows in this photograph:

The department store became a victim of the Great Depression. The building was renovated into a high-end furniture store and office building in 1938. In 1953, when the furniture stored moved to a new location, the entire building was renovated into an office building, with retail only located on the ground floor.

In 1963, the basement found a use. Originally built as department store offices, inventory storage, and a place for sale items, it was renovated into an upscale restaurant and live music venue for young professionals. The quotes you see, on the soffit in the hotel lobby, are from this 1960s basement venue. It would change names three times, known as The Beefeater, The Red Lion, and finally, Sir Winston.

Sadly, between 1953 and 2017, this building was never renovated again. It was badly out-dated and eventually fell into decline. A proposal to demolish it for a new bank headquarters led to many offices moving out. In 1979, local preservationists rescued the building from the wrecking ball, but no efforts were made to renovate/restore it. It would later become a vacant / abandoned building. It survived several more attempts to demolish it, including a proposal for a 23-storey glass-clad apartment building with retail. A proposal that became a victim of the Great Recession a few years ago. It seemed as if no one would ever reuse it. Attempt after attempt were met with failure. Finally, a developer from another country discovered it and moved here to renovate it as Hotel Indigo. He would also bring back Sir Winston Restaurant. The city's tech boom is credited with attracting this developer to work on several big projects. So many of the original Art Deco details were hidden under the 1953 renovation, including the original Art Deco ceiling. They would find the department store's inventory storage space intact with the original glass light globes on the shelves. It even had a working original elevator, but this was not kept in the current renovation/restoration.

Credit: nicholelivengood

Credit: riggsagr

Credit: riggsagr

Credit: furnituresolutionsplus

Your City

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:55 AM

I've enjoyed watching this project proceed virtually through your posts, Matthew. Thanks so much for your efforts on keeping this page updated. Those historical pictures were fascinating and I appreciate the effort the developers have put into this refitting/renovation. Look forward to staying here when I'm back home visiting W-S.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:43 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

I should add more historic photographs to this thread.

Yes, this is the number one city for small business growth!

Video Link

I wanted to wait until this weekend, but this post is getting too big! There are now three times as many projects, on average, compared to this time last year. This city is really booming right now!

Bailey South:

Credit: jake.the.not.so.great

Credit: forsythtechatinnovationquarter

This is guarding the construction site... I love Winston-Salem!

Credit: optlock

I get to post on the state's fun city. For that, I'm thankful.

Main & Third:

Credit: winstonwatchman

A nice tower crane reflection! partnc said, "Currently construction on every corner, but that means progress and growth right?"

Credit: partnc

Merschel Park:

Credit: jonr1022

You can see where they are digging below the road surface:

Hyatt Place Hotel:
A proposed 9-10 storey building with office space for a bank headquarters and a hotel on the upper floors. This building will have underground parking.

Egger North American Headquarters:
Egger purchased five additional houses for executives moving to the area.

West End Station Apartments: Built!
I think this project is now completed? Their second phase is now leasing and this developer is acquiring other sites to build more apartments on neighboring sites. If it's still under construction, I'll add it back to the list. They are filling the pool and preparing to open the common areas.

Credit: brunette.blueprint

I'm sure Second & Green Tavern (on the right of this photograph) loves this:

Credit: westendstationapts

Credit: rclopez79

St. Pauls Restoration:
Some of the stained-glass windows are from the 1800s, according to the restoration team.

Credit: leahtutu4

Credit: buttsyb

Veterans Nursing Home:
This project could receive $5.2 million in the state budget.

Robert Hall Hotel & Conference Center:

Credit: aarongibbonsartist

Credit: linkaptsiq

Tower crane, as seen from the John Gold Expressway (I-285):

Credit: james.z.smith.7

Workers remove the tower crane:

Work begins on the front facade:

Credit: bethesdactr

A concert at The Coal Pit, across the street:

Credit: lchapman49

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
An effort is currently underway to add the historic terminal building to the National Register of Historic Places, as they prepare to restore the Streamline Moderne terminal building to the original 1939 plans from original architect Howard Cheney. There is some concern this may limit expansion.

Workers will connect the current end of the expressway to new ramps on Main Street in six weeks. The segment of expressway through downtown is now removed from city maps.

Credit: turnepf

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
State lawmakers are seeking state approval to make Smith Reynolds Airport the state's first legacy airport, which is expected to bring Federal funding and will help to bring more jobs to the airport and attract low-fare carriers.

Low Line:

Credit: bakinglawyer

Downtown Streetscape:
Be sure to attend the downtown streetscape meetings on May 15 at Footnote. It's your chance to share ideas and view documents on this major downtown project. The meeting times are 11:30 a.m., to 1:30 p.m., and 5:30 p.m., to 7:30 p.m.,.

Off-Subject:

Bee City USA:
Winston-Salem became a Bee City USA. "Bee City USA fosters ongoing dialogue in urban areas to raise awareness of the role pollinators play in our communities and what each of us can do to provide them with a healthy habitat." The city will hold a pollinator party on June 22, to celebrate, if you're interested. That week is National Pollinator Week. I'm sure we've all seen the bee hives on building rooftops in downtown and the honey they sell from the rooftop hives. Winston-Salem also has a Honey Bar, with different honeys on tap, and stores for urban beekeepers. This is a Bee City.

Zombies going out for a drink in the Downtown Arts District:

Credit: blkhorsejenn

The new Hotel Indigo:

Credit: linvilleteam

Moravian Cookie - The New State Cookie:
House Bill 394 would make Winston-Salem's unique thin cookies the official state cookie of North Carolina. The bill describes the tourism and economic impact of these cookies in Winston-Salem. It passed the House unanimously and is on its way to passing in the State Senate. I think this will happen!

Unusual Museums - Did you know downtown Winston-Salem has a chair library for researchers:

Credit: nicholelivengood

India Fest:

Credit: kj_jiang

Winston-Salem has Highest Growth in Small Businesses:
According to WalletHub, Winston-Salem is tied with Austin for first place in the United States in highest growth in number of small businesses! That is awesome! Winston-Salem is fast becoming one of the top cities for startups.

Your City

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:07 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. Please support the businesses and craftsmen providing us photographs and updates.

Happy Bike to Work Day!

Did you know: Downtown Winston-Salem is the world's leading regenerative medicine research center!

Video Link

Bailey South:

Compare this photograph with the photograph below:

Credit: benssink91

Windows and doors removed and workers are enlarging second floor window openings:

Credit: nurseparks

From yesterday morning (5/16):

Credit: whateyesee13

"Art Revolve exhibit - three panels with local artwork and poetry are displayed around our construction site!"

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Credit: authoringaction

Efird Block Restoration:
Demolition contractor M.B.H. Enterprises was hired to begin interior demolition for the 601 North Liberty Building, on the corner. This building will have office and retail spaces when completed. I'm guessing GBX Group met their pre-leasing requirement for this building? Workers spent the past week or two cleaning-out the interior, in preparation for interior demolition. This project is interesting, since the building had a partial interior collapse and this Cleveland, Ohio-based developer is rescuing it before it falls-down. A storm 30 years ago opened holes in the roof and no one repaired them. It's great to see someone saving this beautiful historic building! They have worked on several historic buildings in Cleveland, OH., and I welcome them to downtown Winston-Salem.

Credit: Meridian Realty

They are currently completing the lobby, which will have a bar. As was previously posted in this thread, this hotel could open at the end of next month.

Credit: TBJ

Credit: miguelcruz6442

Novant Health Neurosciences & Spine Center:

Credit: espinosaarchitecture

Radar Brewing Company:
Three craft breweries are currently under construction in Winston-Salem. This brewery is located on Ninth Street in downtown Winston-Salem.

Constructing the craft brewery's cooler:

Credit: Radar Brewing Company

Hyphen Hops Brewing Company & Mixed-use:
This craft brewery will grow its own hops on site. It's one of the more interesting breweries under construction in Winston-Salem right now. This adaptive-reuse project also includes restaurants, a bar, deli, vendor market, and apartments.

Preparing the hops growing operation at the craft brewery:

Credit: Hyphen Hops Brewing Company

New Tech Jobs:
App SwipeBy will be hiring in downtown Winston-Salem very soon. They are closing on additional funding for expansion.

Winston Junction:
Adaptive-reuse of an old downtown produce warehouse for an entertainment, office, market, and retail development.

Update on retail tenant EMBER Audio + Design

Credit: emberaudio

Update on retail tenant EMBER Audio + Design

Update on entertainment tenant Axe Club of America axe throwing:

Credit: 8lincoln30

Update on entertainment tenant Axe Club of America axe throwing:

Credit: 8lincoln30

500 West 5th:
The renovation of this 21-storey office building is looking good!

Fitness Center:

The Lobby:

The Lobby:

The Entrance Courtyard Construction:

Morris Building:
Adaptive-reuse of an historic building for office and retail space, with a possible expansion.

It's the red brick building to the right of the Planters peanut mobile (Planters Lifesavers Co., was headquartered in Winston-Salem until the late 1990s):

Credit: wb256

They had a Mr. Peanut Convention at the Benton Convention Center every year, attracting fans from around the world to downtown Winston-Salem.

New Jobs & Office Tenants:
Miami-based law firm Akerman LLP is opening new offices in Winston-Salem and Atlanta. Andrew Smulian, chairman & CEO, said “We continue to aggressively expand in major business centers across the country to accommodate the needs of our growing client base."

Robert Hall Hotel & Conference Center:
This project is the adaptive-reuse of three attached buildings. The project includes office space for a creative agency, a restaurant, a hotel, a bar, and a conference space. Next to the site is a new craft brewery.

This is the office space next to the hotel:

Credit: nu.agency

The stairs are beautiful!

Dave & Buster's: Built!
This sports bar, restaurant, and entertainment venue is now open. They are marketing themselves as a super-regional attraction that can attract people from, roughly, half-an-hour away. This was an adaptive-reuse project.

Soft opening for area executives to talk them into holding corporate events at Dave & Buster's:

Credit: jenyerkes

Credit: jenyerkes

Yes, they covered the brick facade with this material and closed-in a few windows:

Credit: itsitony

Credit: itsitony

Installing a waterproofing membrane and a new copper roof on the dome:

Merschel Park:

Science & Office Building:

Credit: viethshots

Main & Third:

Building a concrete form for a floor (You can also see the renovation of the Federal Courthouse Plaza to the right):

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

You can see part of the 110 foot / 33.6 metre tall tower crane in the middle of this photograph, taken from Wells Fargo's Tech Center in the IQ District:

Credit: themodelactorradioguy

The first residents could move-in at the end of July and the building could be completed by Hallowe'en.

Condenser (HVAC) installation, from a few weeks ago:

Credit: longhvacmultifamily

The view of Bailey Park and the Wake Forest University School of Medicine in downtown's IQ District:

Installing COR-TEN Steel cladding (far left side of photograph below):

Credit: pattihamlin

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:

Credit: Spectrum

Now the exterior is cleaned:

Off-Subject:

Installing a new copper roof on a Second Empire house from 1873:

Credit: thatblondegirlvikki

Free movies in the park are back:

Credit: penny.converse

Credit: dagreatest_eva

Original Formal Gardens Design at James Hanes House: (They are restoring this garden)

Credit: seccacontempart

"Formal gardens designed by Ellen Biddle Shipman, one of the first women to break into the male dominated field of landscape design. In 1938 she said "... before women took hold of the profession, landscape architects were doing what I call cemetery work."

Downtown's IQ District:

Credit: tincanlove

Venture Cafe is a gathering of innovators, entrepreneurs, and incredible individuals just like you!
Video Link

Quote of the Week:
Regenerative Medicine Foundation Executive Director Bernard Siegel said, “It is not widely known, but many of the novel concepts and timely discussions presented at the annual World Stem Cell Summit have their genesis from the carefully crafted and innovative course curriculum taught in Winston-Salem.”

Home Prices Increase in Winston-Salem:
As Winston-Salem gains more attention for its growth in tech jobs and for its arts scene, home prices are increasing and increasing very quickly. These are the price increases, over the past year, in North Carolina. Winston-Salem is number one in price increases.

Home Price Increases Over the Past Year:
Winston-Salem: 6% Home Price Increase
Charlotte: 5.26% Home Price Increase
Raleigh: 4.66% Home Price Increase
Greensboro: 3.36 Home Price Increase

Your City

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:53 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

If you visit on Memorial Day weekend, downtown Winston-Salem is taken-over by bicycles. Winston-Salem is home to the country's most-prestigious professional cycling event, covering several days, and it also includes a music festival organized by the Winston-Salem-based National Cycling Center.

This band played Bailey Park in downtown Winston-Salem last weekend:
Video Link

A photograph of the band, on stage, at Bailey Park in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District:

Credit: travis stewart

Bailey South:
Completion was pushed-back to April 1, 2020. The developer has leased all of the office space and only retail space is available. If you're interested in opening a restaurant, retail, or entertainment business in this building, call: (336) 724-1715

Credit: whatwherewinston

Credit: Joshua Shelton

This should be completed by next year's cycling and music events:

Credit: andreaeller007

An updated rendering, showing more of the building, from Team Skyline Cycling (Great team name!):

Credit: teamskylinebike

Reading, PA., based Team Skyline Cycling has the only two Americans with type 1 diabetes with professional cycling licenses. WOW!

Bunzel Building: Built!
This building is now completed.

Winston Junction:
An exciting downtown adaptive-reuse project! Axe Club of America is now open. Ember Audio + Design will open on June 21.

The axe throwing bar is now open:

Credit: wsnc.adventures

Credit: allmypantsaresassy

Credit: axeclubofamerica

Ember Audio + Design will open June 21:

Hoots Brewing Company on Trade:
This downtown craft brewery now has construction permits. I will add it to our first post construction list. It's at the corner of Seventh Street and Trade Street, in the downtown Arts District.

St. Timothy's Church Renovation:
The renovation of St. Timothy's Church and a look at the work of Cram & Ferguson Architects.

Renderings of the Cram & Ferguson renovation:

Credit: St. Timothy's

Liberty Park:
This is what the city will demolish to build the new downtown park. This 1973 Brutalist 2-storey office building with rooftop park is currently vacant. It was originally built as an office building in a park. The spaces are built into the city's rough terrain. I'm sure it was beautiful when it was new. It's one of those hidden places in the middle of downtown that few people know about.

1973 downtown office building in a park to be demolished for a new park:

Credit: mackenziecatesallen

You can see the neighboring skyscrapers around the site, in the photographs above and below:

Thank you to the photographer for sharing this, so the forum can see it before it's gone.

What is your opinion on this? Do you think it should be demolished for a new park or restored? I've heard the office space has deteriorated to a point that requires demolition. The demolition is funded and I think it's set for demolition later this year. If you want photographs of this, take them before it's gone.

Merschel Park:
A celebrity photograph of a construction site! Patterson Hood, lead singer for the Drive-by Truckers, had a nice view of the Merschel Park construction site.

Credit: dbtph

UNCSA Student Apartments:
A new $46 million 444 bed student apartment building will be constructed for the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. Construction will start in Fall 2020 and completion is set for September 2021.

Architect Robert A.M. Stern seems to be working on plans for the entire campus and some individual buildings, so he could be the design architect for this project and maybe the project below?

UNCSA Performing Arts Center:
I removed the proposed 3,000 seat UNCSA Performing Arts Center from the list of projects, due to no updates in a few years, but it does appear as if the project is still active and the university will begin demolition for the project in late-2021 or early-2022. I have decided it's best to wait for a big announcement before it returns to the proposals/construction list. The original information source was someone involved in the Washington Park Neighborhood Association and I think it was brought to them due to the massive size of the performing arts center and potential impact on their neighborhood. I don't know if anything has changed in the past few years, so it's best to wait on an official announcement from the university.

Main & Third:
They have poured a floor and added height to the tower crane. The crane is now visible in some skyline views.

Looking over the construction fence:

Credit: hailos

The tower crane was raised and now appears on the skyline: (look on the far left side)

Credit: rosiecotton_24

110 South Broad Street:
This project is now under construction and will appear on our first post construction list.

A medical emergency at the construction site:

Credit: WSFD

Fortune 500 Headquarters:
Winston-Salem is second in North Carolina in the number of Fortune 500 headquarters.

1815 John Blum House Restoration:
Restoration of a 204-year-old house.

New shutters:

Credit: wellswt_

Credit: tannerlutheran

Credit: samflowerslsa

Crystal Towers:
A local newspaper is reporting this Mid-century Modern building will become luxury apartments. They have a buyer, but they are waiting on federal approval to sell the property.

Copper installation: (Crystal Towers, from project above, is in the background)

First Baptist Church is located between 500 West 5th and Crystal Towers, which are all projects we are following in this week's update!

Link Apartments 4th Street:
We have an updated rendering for this project! This is the final rendering and features nice lighting around the cornice, parapet, and southeastern corner balconies. A full-height lighted fin, rising above the cornice, and up-lighting on the south facade, are also included. This design also adds a pop of color, with yellow accents. The first residents will move-in around August 2020 and completion is set for December 2020.

Credit: BB+M Architects

500 West 5th:

Work on the entrance courtyard:

One 77:
Wow, that was fast! This developer now has saw-service and is starting construction on this apartment and retail development! I will add it to our first post construction list.

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Credit: jonathan.riddle

Credit: rideshareray

Credit: boostcyclingteam

Credit: melodyhook

A look at the entrance:

Credit: nannultera

Credit: flowauto

Low Line:

Progress on the conversion of an old elevated rail line, in downtown's IQ District, into an elevated retail/restaurant-lined boardwalk:

Credit: the.traveling.kind

Credit: chaffeetyler

Off-Subject:

Gears & Guitars is multi-day music festival in Winston-Salem for fans of bicycles and music:

Credit: kikid84

The Vintage Theatre is the adaptive-reuse of an old Art Deco church to a dance & art venue (it has a nice view):

Credit: teamtypenone

Old Nick Williams Distillery:

Credit: oldnickwhiskey

Credit: fourthandtrade

Your City

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 10:17 AM

Any idea if the apartments on 4th will have retail?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Yes, it will have a retail space at Fourth and Poplar streets, facing the Fourth Street side. The retail space is larger in the most recent plans, which is good news. It's a great proposal.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 9:44 PM

The Liberty Park question....part of me says no. But since they are replacing the building with green space...yes.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:01 PM

Video on the possibilities and challenges in the current resurgence of Winston-Salem

Interesting article (with embedded video) on the cultural and economic growth of Winston (especially downtown) in the past decade that also describes the ways in which racial divides keep too many from benefiting from that growth. The article profiles Goler Community Development Association, which is working to bring the benefits of economic development to more of the city's citizens.

"America Resurgent: Winston-Salem" by Sean Ryon and Hallie Steiner, NationSwell, February 22, 2019.

http://nationswell.com/america-resurgent-winston-salem/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Have a great Pride Month and enjoy the new apartment proposals in today's update!

Still looking for late-night / midnight themed songs for this thread...
Video Link

Bailey South:

The other side:

Credit: thestarvingtourist

Poetry on the construction fence: (That is so Winston-Salem!)

Credit: phorever_jenn

As I said before, I get to post on North Carolina's fun city!

Global Institute of Innovation Districts:
Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District was selected with five other innovation districts in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Melbourne, St. Louis, and Amsterdam to form the Global Institute of Innovation Districts. Innovation districts in these cities will become the steering committee that will create the organization's agenda. The six cities selected are globally recognized as leaders in how to build innovative ecosystems. Downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District has become a model for other innovation districts and as more companies and organizations want to be in these districts, downtown's IQ District will be seen as an ideal place to locate. Graydon Pleasants, head of real estate development for downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District and Global Institute of Innovation Districts Steering Committee member, said “More and more, we are seeing our approach of mixed-use, knowledge-based economic development to be a dynamic force in cities around the country and even the world. We have been fortunate enough to share a vision of this approach with our development partners as well as with our city, county governments and state partners. All of our partners have helped us become a model for other innovation districts as they establish and grow.”

Hyatt Place Hotel:

Brookstown Apartments:
FNB / First National Bank will provide financing for this project.

Merschel Park:
The three finalists to design the artwork at Merschel Park are David Dahlquist (from Des Moines), Molly Mason (from Long Island), and Koryn Rolastad (from Seattle). These sculptors will now submit a proposal for a sculpture at the park space by August 31, 2019.

Quarry Park Phase II:

Rendering of proposed park shelters:

Winston Junction:

Ember Audio + Design is now open in downtown's Winston Junction:

Credit: lmi.builders

This old truck body, from the former produce warehouse they are converting into Winston Junction, will become a food stand at Winston Junction:

Credit: industryhillwsnc

East 5th Street Apartments:
Demolition has started on a project to replace older apartments in East End with new and more urban apartments that fit with the East End Plan. The proposed apartments will have a great skyline view!

Main & Third:

Credit: bless_up_ppl

Crystal Towers:
The developer's proposed conversion of this building to upscale apartments is confirmed. This developer agreed to add a few affordable units, as part of the sale agreement, but most apartments will be upscale. The developer buying the property loves the Mid-century Modern design and will restore and modernize the exterior.

A look at the building when it was under construction, with a tower crane:

Credit: State of North Carolina

A look at the building when it was under construction, during cladding installation:

Credit: State of North Carolina

If you are the buyer, it gives you a look at the reinforced concrete skeleton and how it was built.

Shah Basketball Complex:

Credit: coachdmanning

Bailey Power Plant Complex:
The Center for Equity + Success (ACCESS) will open June 20, at 5 p.m.,. ACCESS helps minority and woman-owned businesses and startups. If you're interested, be there at their grand opening to learn more. They are on the second floor (Suite 241).

310 West 7th Apartments:
Development company BGP, a partnership of Ben Bloodworth from Linville Team Partners and Gerstmyer & Perkins, has this former 1950s service station under contract with plans to demolish it for a new 4-storey downtown apartment building with parking under the apartments. The eastern end is 3-storeys and the western end is 4-storeys.

Credit: BGP

500 West 5th:
Private equity firm Teall Capital will move their corporate headquarters to the 12th floor of this building. Teall Capital invests in innovative, high-growth-potential lifestyle brands and services.

Credit: starryeyedseal

Radar Brewing Company:
This new brewery, on Ninth Street, will have an open fermentation room you can see into while you're in the taproom. The new brewery will also use positive pressure to pull-out air and carbon dioxide, creating what the head brewer calls 'clean beer.' It will be one of only three breweries in the Carolinas to use positive pressure.

The downtown neighborhood this brewery is located in was home to several defense contractors during World War II and the Cold War. These companies, designing / engineering missile guidance systems, became the largest employment sector in Winston-Salem for several decades. They also had a small Air Force Base in Winston-Salem to protect them. The brewery is named for this.

Credit: radarbrewingcompany

Hard hat tours are now available, by appointment only, for potential tenants.

Installing appliances:

Low Line:
According to Viator Design & Construction, they removed the railroad tracks on June 1, but they will be reinstalled as part of the new elevated walkway.

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

The regional transit authority has reported ridership increases as high as 79% on some routes, since this project started. The demolition of the East-West Expressway also helped to reduce carbon monoxide emissions by 2.2 tons in April. Carbon monoxide was reduced by 46 tons for the year. WOW!

Credit: WSSU News

Your City

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:33 AM
Fourth and Main

Sentinel Commons:
This new proposal will transform a mostly vacant former newspaper building, across from the convention center on Fifth Street, into office space, Gray Taproom & Beer Garden, Pressworks Co-working space, Ledger Leagues Bowling Alley, Broadsheet Food Hall, and space for the arts. According to the announcement, the office space is leased by two developers and an architect. GEMCAP Development will move their headquarters to this space and 'new urbanist' home developer Arden Communities will move their headquarters here. They have met their pre-leasing requirement to start construction. Completion is set for December 2019.

Fifth Street View:

Credit: sentinelcommons

Beer Garden and Entrance to Bowling Alley & Food Hall:

Food Hall & Ledger Leagues Bowling Alley:

Co-working Space:

Your City

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:10 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

Bailey South:

Credit: adam___reid

yadkinv, at the WSTB Forum, is reporting this hotel will open in October 2019.

On the right side of this rainy photograph:

Credit: dvelphoto

Hyatt Place Hotel:
This project is moving very slowly. I expect completion to be delayed / pushed-back. I noticed they are reapplying for some permits? Recently shared massing studies have shown a taller building than what we've seen in previous renderings and recent numbers show more hotel rooms than originally planned, so maybe this project is scaling-up? I guess we will have to wait and see. This is an office and hotel project with underground parking. A bank has already pre-leased all of the office space.

Merschel Park:
Since part of the Hyatt Place underground parking deck is also under the eastern third of this park, construction of Merschel Park has slowed and completion will likely be pushed-back by a few months.

Credit: idkhowtotakeaphoto

Credit: rupertredbeard

Main & Third:

Credit: roghughe

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

Liberty Park:
Forsyth County Commissioners authorized an agreement between the City and County for this $2 million demolition, design, and construction project. It will be constructed with the science museum by Frank L. Blum Construction. Work is expected to begin in the Fall. I'm guessing it will cost more than $2 million.

Sentinel Commons:

Video Link

A better rendering of the building's food hall:

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:
A regenerative medicine company will double their space at Whitaker Park. Their entire space is used for research and development. They expect to double their employment in Winston-Salem in the next few months and are talking about more than tripling their number of employees in Winston-Salem by 2020.

Installing the copper roof:

Crystal Towers:
The Arden Group will be the developer. They expect to begin design work on the building around January 2021. This building requires a major renovation.

Radar Brewing Company:

Beer is at the end of the rainbow:

Credit: blackwellmb

This building features a 240-seat flexible auditorium, over 30,000 square-feet of traditional and investigational lab spaces and a grand staircase that serves as a focal point of the atrium.

Credit: designcollectv

Grand Staircase:

Credit: designcollectv

Brickwork on the front of the building:

Credit: gtascione

Credit: blkappceo

Credit: adam___reid

Credit: tim_hutch

Zagster Bike Share Expansion:

Bike share is now at Quarry Park:

Credit: usnccws

Low Line:

Credit: itsjustmewoo

Credit: randomrockstar

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:
This bicycle commuter bridge, designed by California architect Walter Hood, is moving forward. It will have tall trees and landscaping on both sides of the bridge, to give cyclists the appearance of downtown emerging from a forest. It will be the first and only urban land bridge in the United States, so this is an exciting project to follow! Still waiting for the bicycle flyover ramps!

Credit: blkflycreative

Off-Subject:

Arts District, from Reboot Arcade Bar:

Credit: chriswself

Credit: marcus__shockley

A middle school, by famous Northeastern mansion architect Charles Barton Keen, on Silver Ridge in Winston-Salem's West Highlands Neighborhood:

Video Link

Pride Month:

Sauratown Mountains (Highest elevations in the Winston-Salem Metro Area):

Credit: jwlindsley

If you like outdoor sports, such as mountain climbing, kayaking, mountain biking, rowing, fishing, hiking, etc., Winston=Salem has mountains, rivers, lakes and state & national parks inside its metro area. Winston-Salem is also located in the Carolinas' wine country.

Your City

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:05 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Is engineering work starting on a possible new third tallest in downtown Winston-Salem? See this and other exciting project updates in today's update!

Video Link

Main & Third:

Credit: ayohewitt

Tower crane on the skyline:

Bailey South:
Steel should rise very soon at this site for the new six-storey office building addition.

A rare look inside:

An opening cut into the 1926 power plant building:

815 North Trade Office Building:
This project had a few small design changes and is now moving forward again.

Credit: nikkodesigns

Credit: nikkodesigns

500 West 5th:
Work is now starting on the eighth floor.

Credit: yung_coog

One Research Tower:
Workers are soil testing where this building is proposed, by developer Wexford Science + Technology. The project is proposed to include an underground parking deck, an outdoor space with a restaurant and a view of the Bath Waterway & Park, a 15-25 storey skyscraper fronting the waterfront park, and a new park will be constructed along the Bath Waterway in downtown's IQ District. If built to the maximum proposed height, this building would become a new third tallest for downtown Winston-Salem. The site is proposed with multiple buildings around the linear waterfront park.

Soil Testing:

Credit: tlburriss

Massing study of proposal at 25-storeys:

Credit: WSTB

Morris Building:
They are starting design on this adaptive-reuse project and are already talking with potential tenants.

Woodruff Aviation College:
This project has a name, a GC, a new rendering, and an architect. It's the Woodruff Aviation College, designed by Walter Robbs Architects, and the GC is Virginia-based Branch Builds. Expect two floors of classrooms and labs. They have approval from the State of North Carolina and are working on full approval from the Federal Aviation Administration. This building is expected to become a major asset in attracting new aerospace jobs to Winston-Salem.

Credit: Walter Robbs Architects

Major Tomms Oddity Shop: Built!
This project is now completed and open!

Credit: majortomms

Credit: majortomms

More than one building is proposed for a new development project at Whitaker Park. It may add as many as four new buildings to the site, each reaching the height of a six-storey building and using a crane reaching 130 feet / 39.7 metres tall. There aren't many details at this time.

Credit: ehren.yeater

Quarry Park Phase II:

Rendering of planned shade structure:

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:
Truliant Credit Union will double the size of their headquarters with a major project, recently announced. They will also more than double the number of headquarters employees as part of this project.

Completion is set for July 29.

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-reuse:

Credit: southernhistoric

Efird Block Restoration:
According to rumors, a bakery and a bar will move into two of this building's retail spaces. It's great to see work starting on this project! The Ohio-based developer will restore these buildings to their original 1920s appearance.

Removing a collapsed section of the ceiling and floors:

Credit: print_winston_salem

I like the original pressed-tin ceiling:

Found on the roof: (Part of collapsed parapet to be reconstructed to original appearance)

Found on the roof: (Part of collapsed parapet to be reconstructed to original appearance)

Credit: allurecontract

Original 1925 water heater:

Workers removed collapsed sections of the floors:

I like the skylights:

The two retail spaces are being considered by a few restaurants, a bike store, and a wine bar.

Credit: pacorivera95

Credit: a.taylorsview

I didn't know these windows could be opened:

New signage:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
The city has approved a 20% match to receive a Federal grant to move this project forward. It will transform a former rail line into a grade separated bicycle commuter path, from the airport to downtown's IQ District. It's an extension of the existing cycling and pedestrian path in the IQ District. They will also preserve the rail line to reuse for future light rail transit (LRT).

Low Line:
The ties are now removed.

Off-Subject:

Credit: yogammunitytribe

Winston-Salem Homes Becoming More Expensive:
Homes in Winston-Salem are only becoming more expensive, as people discover the city.

Home Price Increases for May 2019 (CoreLogic):
Winston-Salem - 5.14%
Charlotte - 4.16%
Raleigh - 4.15%

Someone loves Mid-century Modern! They also have the matching car:

Credit: glitterbyrd

Credit: zach9ts

Credit: wfugradschool

Your City

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 6:34 PM

Keep it up!

Hey Matthew,
Thanks for the exciting updates you post here. I look forward to reading these every week and seeing all the cool photos of development in Winston Salem. Keep up the great work!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super72 View Post
Hey Matthew,
Thanks for the exciting updates you post here. I look forward to reading these every week and seeing all the cool photos of development in Winston Salem. Keep up the great work!
I agree. Thank you, Matthew!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:39 PM

NY Times article on Winston-Salem

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/b...nvergence.html

Why Midsize Cities Struggle to Catch Up to Superstar Cities
For decades, smaller metropolitan areas closed the income gap with bigger, richer ones, but no longer. So places like Winston-Salem, N.C., are trying to lay a new foundation for prosperity. Officials in Winston-Salem, N.C., are trying to transform the local economy, which was once dominated by the tobacco industry, into a biotech center.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:50 AM
Fourth and Main

I noticed the article seemed light on quotes and the quotes didn't seem to match what those people usually say about the city...

Everyone quoted in the article said the reporter refused to use any of the positive statistics they spoke of or any of the positives happening in the city. Stats such as Winston-Salem having a higher job growth rate than the state, which is one of the fastest growing states in new jobs, or that Winston-Salem is tied with Austin in startups, as examples. Dr. Nathan Hatch said most of his conversation with the reporter focused on the multi-billion-dollar transformation of downtown, how the city successfully addressed challenges, and the bright future ahead and none of it was used. They also point-out the contradictions in the story. This explains why there aren't many quotes and it's something to think about when reading future news articles like this on the forums. The stats and quotes didn't line-up with what the reporter wanted to say, so they weren't used and what was used was taken out-of-context, from what those interviewed are saying about the article? The reporter still spoke of how hot the local housing market is, how easy it is to attract highly educated people here, and that Winston-Salem is the small city most likely to make the transition to a tech economy. It's happening, as you can see in this thread. That is likely why Winston-Salem was the main city of focus for the article. Winston-Salem is the city people believe will actually make it happen. We are already talking about two potential high-rises in the city's downtown tech district, including soil testing at one of the two sites.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 6:23 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support the businesses taking the photographs seen here.

Yes, this is one of the "4 walkable U.S. cities for history buffs to explore."

These construction photographs make it easy to do...
Video Link

Bailey South:

Credit: cherokeepeoples

A concrete truck at the site on Wednesday morning (7/17):

Credit: winstonsalemchamber

View from the Patterson Avenue entrance on Thursday morning (7/18):

Credit: cherokeepeoples

Hyatt Place Hotel:
A truck and workers were on site Thursday morning (7/18).

Dirt lot on the left side of this photograph:

Credit: drk_spade

Main & Third:

Crane View:

Crane Aerial:

Credit: the_biz_traveler

Joyner's Bar:
The Flatiron Restaurant & Bar is now called Joyner's Bar. Work has started on this project, in the historic 1890s Flatiron Building. A restaurant is no longer a part of this project. The same development team from New York City and Los Angeles are working on this.

Depot District:

Breeden Insurance Ampitheater:

Credit: lmi.builders

More conversions of vacant tobacco offices and industrial buildings. If you toured this complex decades ago, on a vacation, this is the building you visited. It once had streams and arched mini-bridges in the lobby, which you can see in the photograph, below. Now it's under renovation to become an 850,000 square foot medical device company building. It was designed in 1958, so it's Mid-century Modern.

A progress update on the adaptive-reuse project for Cook Medical Devices:

Credit: twincityroses

It's not lost on anyone that these old tobacco company buildings are being converted to life-saving medical research buildings. It seems to be all bio-tech / life science companies leasing here.

500 West 5th:
Remember the news, from the previous update in this thread, on work starting on the 8th floor? Flywheel Co-working was recently announced as the tenant upfitting the 8th floor for their new space. This will place Flywheel Co-working, New Ventures Accelerator, Winston Starts, and the headquarters for a venture capital company in the same building, where they will collaborate on startup support to make Winston-Salem a stronger startup community. Workplace Strategies will be the architect for this co-working space upfit. CBRE said to look for more announcements this summer on new tenants. This building is leasing fast, as it nears completion this Fall! The building also has a new conference center and several university startup offices.

If you would like to lease a restaurant space in the building's beautiful lobby, opening to the new outdoor plaza, a restaurant space is available!

Rendering of Flywheel Co-working on the 8th floor:

Credit: Flywheel

Exterior View:

Credit: DWSP

A look at the entry plaza:

Credit: alecgrossman

It's being described as more 'skateable' than before by local skate borders:

Credit: alecgrossman

New Insurance Jobs:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina is expanding in Winston-Salem, leasing an additional office building and adding hundreds of new employees.

Twin City Motors Adaptive-reuse:

A look inside the former Model-T Ford Factory & Dealership:

Credit: nctriadgirl

Winston Junction:

Sign Painting:

Credit: chuckjohnson

Link Apartments 4th Street:
Demolition of the 1951 Security Life & Trust Building is moved back to October 2019 (according to someone working for Grubb Properties) and some news reports are saying possibly November or December? The wait is financing related.

Sentinel Commons:
Fox 8 had a great story on this project. If you're interested, visit their site and watch it. I'll share a few images from it, since I can't embed the video.

Food Hall Interior:

Credit: Fox 8

Food Hall Interior:

Food Hall Interior:

Co-working Space:

Co-working Space:

Courthouse Parking Deck:
This $13 million project is now pulling permits. It will have 669 parking spaces and rise around seven floors in height. It is the beginning of the Forsyth County Courthouse project. The Courthouse will have both a jurors / visitors parking deck and a secure underground parking deck, below the building, for employees. Since jurors / visitors can't park under the building, for security reasons, they must build this parking deck for them. I think other government offices will use it as well?

Hoots Brewing Company on Trade:
You can already see the transformation of the front of this building into a covered outdoor area. Sadly, this is the only photograph I've found of the progress at this downtown brewery. Yes, our first photograph update for Hoots Trade Street craft brewery!

It's the grey building in the lower left corner:

Credit: bobby_barz87

Shah Basketball Complex:
This project is almost completed.

Merschel Park:
Updated renderings from DWSP.

311 East Third:
Wake Forest University has received $25.4 million from the National Institutes of Health (NIH Funding) for the creation of the research center believed to be the anchor tenant in this proposed 12 storey building.

Credit: sully_xxi

Credit: studio_seo

A nice aerial of Link Apartments and downtown's IQ District:

Credit: NY Times

A look at the pool (It doesn't appear to be very deep?):

Low Line:

Rails at the paint shop, preparing for sand blasting, primer, and paint:

Painting the rails:

Viator Design & Construction said "Train track is nearly refinished having been media blasted and sprayed with a paint as thick as pudding. Just in time... concrete was poured today!"

Pouring the Low Line's elevated walkway - Thursday morning (7/18):

The owner of the Zesto restaurant chain, headquartered locally in Winston-Salem, is considering opening a restaurant in one of the retail/restaurant spaces at Union Station.

One of the three-storey sides of the building:

Credit: nonotwashington

The one-storey sides of the three-storey building:

Credit: algenoncash

Proposed restaurant entrance:

The proposed restaurant space:

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:

Credit: Clark Harper

Off-Subject:

Credit: logan_hvac

Wise Man Brewing - A Top-10 Brewery:
Wise Man Brewing Company, in downtown Winston-Salem, was ranked as one of the top-10 breweries in the world at the recent U.S. Open Beer Championship, with breweries competing from around the world.

Not a food truck, but a clothing truck in Winston-Salem's Brookstown Neighborhood:

Credit: nolandvannoy

Waterfalls of the Winston-Salem area:

Credit: claymccreary

Your City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations