HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 6:10 PM

deleted

Last edited by rgarri4; Feb 8, 2021 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
New permit for a 4 story, 9 unit res building (with 9 parking spaces...) at 2343 N Elston, near the future driving range at Damen/Elston. Nice to see infill here, even if this area is sort of a lost cause from an urbanist standpoint. I was actually just driving by here a couple of weeks ago reflecting on this large empty lot.

Currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...!4d-87.6760154
I talked with the owner of the furniture store right there about a month ago. He is going out of business and cursed Chicago and it's taxes and anti-business atmosphere and said hes selling what he can and is heading to Florida.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I talked with the owner of the furniture store right there about a month ago. He is going out of business and cursed Chicago and it's taxes and anti-business atmosphere and said hes selling what he can and is heading to Florida.
he should be cursing the internet

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

Wayfair's got just what I need....

...says a whole lot of people that used to pay more for less selection at mom n pop furniture stores. Sad but true. But sure, blame it on democrats. Enjoy Florida.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
he should be cursing the internet
Bingo. Haven't shop owners realized this? Some of us like going into stores to try things out but we've had great luck buying online lately with way more selection. It's not the 80s anymore. Consumers have widely adopted online shopping for everything now unless they need something literally right now and can't wait. Moving to another state isn't going to change this. Maybe the shop owner should move to another country which doesn't have great online shopping.

I feel for local businesses always, but how much longer would many of them truly be in business anyway if the pandemic didn't happen? To me, the pandemic basically sped up the inevitable for many mom and pop shops regardless of where they operate out of (low tax or high tax). Very sad but true.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Bingo. Haven't shop owners realized this? Some of us like going into stores to try things out but we've had great luck buying online lately with way more selection. It's not the 80s anymore. Consumers have widely adopted online shopping for everything now unless they need something literally right now and can't wait. Moving to another state isn't going to change this. Maybe the shop owner should move to another country which doesn't have great online shopping.

I feel for local businesses always, but how much longer would many of them truly be in business anyway if the pandemic didn't happen? To me, the pandemic basically sped up the inevitable for many mom and pop shops regardless of where they operate out of (low tax or high tax). Very sad but true.
Not to mention the massive demographic changes in the neighborhoods on all sides of this area. Someone paying $1m+ for a single family on Southport or $400K for a condo by Milwaukee Ave. is not furnishing it from an old furniture outlet. If they are shopping in person, at a minimum they're checking out Bob's Discount across the river, or more likely heading to Blu Dot or Room and Board for higher end options.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWeb View Post
Not to mention the massive demographic changes in the neighborhoods on all sides of this area. Someone paying $1m+ for a single family on Southport or $400K for a condo by Milwaukee Ave. is not furnishing it from an old furniture outlet. If they are shopping in person, at a minimum they're checking out Bob's Discount across the river, or more likely heading to Blu Dot or Room and Board for higher end options.
Thats true too. Evolve or die, basically. I think a lot of businesses have been successful because of their context they live in (time, place, etc). A truly smart business finds ways to evolve when the world has all or mostly left them behind. Let's remind everyone that part of IBM used to make butcher meat scales. Imagine if they never evolved the business (butcher meat scales are still needed so its not the best analogy...maybe an analogy about horse drawn carriages is much better ).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm just speaking from personal experience, but of all the mom-n-pop independent retail stores of all kinds out there, THE most likely to look and feel "sad" to me have almost always been furniture stores. Perhaps it's just the nature of the product they are selling (high up-front cost, large physical size, hard to liquidate) that lends itself to a feeling of stale inventory. I cannot tell you how many times I've been in an old established middle-of-the-road family owned furniture store and they have a loft or lower level that is still trying to clearance out furnishings they likely ordered when Bill Clinton was still president.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:09 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

...says a whole lot of people that used to pay more for less selection at mom n pop furniture stores. Sad but true. But sure, blame it on democrats. Enjoy Florida.
This is becoming a common response from the elitist crowd to business owners in Chicago who are legitimately being run to the ground by taxes, rent, decreased foot traffic, etc. The whole "don't let the door hit you on the way out!" snide attitude.

Is that the only response you guys have any more?

Lets not forget that the replacement for these furniture stores is probably going to be something far less authentic, if anything at all. Mostly what we are seeing is condos and chains, and another H&R Block or something.

Small business ownership has been a path for many to the middle class. There used to be a "support small business" spirit here on these forums earlier on when I joined, but increasingly that's given way to "Ha ha, you aren't cut for the times!" kind of attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This is becoming a common response from the elitist crowd to business owners in Chicago who are legitimately being run to the ground by taxes, rent, decreased foot traffic, etc. The whole "don't let the door hit you on the way out!" snide attitude.

Lets not forget that the replacement for these furniture stores is probably going to be something far less authentic, if anything at all. Mostly what we are seeing is condos and chains, and another H&R Block or something.

Small business ownership has been a path for many to the middle class. There used to be a "support small business" spirit here on these forums earlier on when I joined, but increasingly that's given way to "Ha ha, you aren't cut for the times!" kind of attitude.
right - because reselling junk furniture from china is so authentic

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Laugh it up. I'm in Florida right now because we enrolled our kids in school here to avoid the insanity up north. Condos in our building are doubling in price and our realtor friends say that they cant even answer all the calls every day from Blue state refugees. I am literally surrounded by business owners and former business owners who have packed up and moved out of MA, CONN, NJ, NY & IL. This is no longer funny, it is very real. I also know of 2 billionaires who re-domiciled out of IL in the last few months. One of them sat down to lunch with JB and told him he cant make up the revenue and never will and urged him to change course because IL is going to be the first state to test the constitutionality of state bankruptcy. Its that bad. Laugh at FLorida but it's growing and accelerating that growth while IL is shrinking. In fact the year I was born, IL was larger than both TX and FL. Now TX is 3 times the size of IL and FL is 2x while IL is literally the same population. Thats 50 years of stagnation.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out" is a poor response and I agree. At the same time though, the bigger point is that this is not a problem with taxation or anything like that. These businesses which are not evolving are sadly going to be run out of business sooner than later. COVID-19 definitely sped it up - maybe they could stay afloat even with thin margins but still. I feel GREATLY for them, but at the same time they're not understanding how the world has changed while they've sat idly by not understanding the shift.

I have the utmost respect for anybody who runs a nice, clean business. I have the utmost sympathy for any business that can't make ends meet in any situation. However, I do not have as much respect for business owners who do not understand why they are losing business (non luxury retail is a huge example in modern days) and go and blame things like taxes on the fact that consumers have completely and utterly shifted how they shop now.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
but at the same time they're not understanding how the world has changed while they've sat idly by not understanding the shift
This is not entirely true. Some customers prefer to shop online, its very socioeconomic. Your lookign at this from a place of privilege as most likely a professional class member. There are a lot of blue color or working poor immigrants who still demand to handle merchandise in person, inspect, know the owner and delivery drivers. They are just as much part of the market as Wayfair. The city and state have increased the burden so much there is no hope for these shops. I can tell you there are plenty of mom and pop furniture stores all over where I am in FL catering to lower income buyers with custom lay away, rent to own and financing here. I haven't seen a single empty storefront the whole half a year I've been here.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
right - because reselling junk furniture from china is so authentic
^ I don't know about that particular business, but a lot of the stores (chain or online) are selling junk from China.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
Laugh it up. I'm in Florida right now because we enrolled our kids in school here to avoid the insanity up north. Condos in our building are doubling in price and our realtor friends say that they cant even answer all the calls every day from Blue state refugees. I am literally surrounded by business owners and former business owners who have packed up and moved out of MA, CONN, NJ, NY & IL. This is no longer funny, it is very real. I also know of 2 billionaires who re-domiciled out of IL in the last few months. One of them sat down to lunch with JB and told him he cant make up the revenue and never will and urged him to change course because IL is going to be the first state to test the constitutionality of state bankruptcy. Its that bad. Laugh at FLorida but it's growing and accelerating that growth while IL is shrinking. In fact the year I was born, IL was larger than both TX and FL. Now TX is 3 times the size of IL and FL is 2x while IL is literally the same population. Thats 50 years of stagnation.
Now I don't know all the information on this topic so please correct me if I am wrong, most of this is my own observation as a single man in his late 20's.

Chicago itself in the past few years has seen a growth in young educated professionals, and has been offsetting the natural population aging and loss of other areas in the state, hence the stagnant growth. Predictions do have its population growing up to 12+ mil metro in the next few years to become the only US entry to the mega city category. This of course was pre-pandemic.

I myself grew up in South Florida and let me tell you, I dislike it, to me it feels stagnant, and I have spent 6mo here now due to the pandemic WFH visiting family, and it feels the same (it is currently a big laughing stock among many young people due to its poor leadership with Covid as well). It's growing but with a population that is older, and don't stimulate the economy as much as I'd like to see or find super beneficial for locals. In my field, staying in SFL was not an option for long term growth, and the livability of a place like SFL for a young person with student loan debt is not ideal. There is no public transit, a lower base pay, a high cost of living (unless we're talking moving to places like Port St. Lucie or other smaller towns which again, great for some but for people looking to grow offer next to nothing) and frankly not many cultural institutions.

I wouldn't trade my life in Chicago for a few less tax dollars in SFL (though I could do without the -10 degree days) as it would lower my quality of life which I can afford comfortably in Chicago. Like me there are many, I can tell you almost everyone that I went to High School with (class of '12) who were pursuing complex careers or had big aspirations left and none of us have/plan to come back, (in fact when we talk one of the first topics we bring up is how happy we are that we left). We've gone to Chicago, NY, DC, LA/SF, Seattle, and some to Texas, we also grew up in a nice suburb with a well funded school. Now this isn't a thing that can't be reversed, but I have found myself seeing a brain drain occurring there in my opinion. However I will say I find public schools, in certain counties here, far better than Chicagoland.

I do think Florida will continue to grow, and let me tell you if I hear one more New Yorker here say how much they miss New York I will scream. But I think you gotta look at how Chicago is setting itself up for the future (life science and tech hub) and how it is handling it current growth, I think its being done well and in fact its gaining traction amongst the younger professionals which I'm afraid will raise prices.

One must also look at the climate issues threatening both places as it starts to play an even bigger role for the coming generations, Chicago sits at the best odds globally along with Toronto, not to mention the great lakes megalopolis is already one of the most populated mega regions in the world with over 50mil people. Meanwhile, dealing with constant flooding (more so in the actual suburbs not so much the condos on the barrier islands) is getting to be excessive, excessive heat (in 2001 our summer highs were around 80-90 to now around 90-100+ many days), we still have people with roofs that haven't been repaired or in insurance claim disputes from Hurricane Wilma in 2005, which was only a category 3.

Businesses are closing in Chicago, due to the pandemic and our tough restrictions, which are warranted, but I have also seen a plethora of businesses surprisingly opening, not to mention the amount of major corps in Chicago and start-up attitude the city has which is appealing to many. I think Chicago will have a tough time in the near future, as most major cities will, but will still come up on top later. There is a lot more that people look at aside from taxes when choosing where to move, and for many in the under 30 category thats not something we really look at in general for now. Not to mention that nothing compares to a Chicago summer, the festivals, events, the general atmosphere, really unmatched.

But that is my 2 cents based on my observations, you make valid points as well, but again 2 sides to every story.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
This is not entirely true. Some customers prefer to shop online, its very socioeconomic. Your lookign at this from a place of privilege as most likely a professional class member. There are a lot of blue color or working poor immigrants who still demand to handle merchandise in person, inspect, know the owner and delivery drivers. They are just as much part of the market as Wayfair. The city and state have increased the burden so much there is no hope for these shops. I can tell you there are plenty of mom and pop furniture stores all over where I am in FL catering to lower income buyers with custom lay away, rent to own and financing here. I haven't seen a single empty storefront the whole half a year I've been here.
I understand what you are saying, 100%. You should know that personally, I like going in person to stores. I refuse to buy clothes or shoes online unless it's some simple black t-shirt but even then thats stretching it. I usually like to try it on and would only buy it I know already how it fits on me.

This extends to certain furniture. We bought a new mattress last year. My wife wanted to buy online. I refuse and went into a store. Why? Because actually feeling it is extremely important. The only things I buy online are those I cannot get easily near me. We've ordered a shoe cabinet and media cabinet online but not much else. My wife orders clothes online sometimes but she also prefers brick and mortar.

But we are in the minority and thats the problem. There's nothing I'd like to see more than these businesses succeed (for selfish reasons too). The world has changed and is changing though. Seeing this and being stagnant doesn't earn respect in my book. And as you brought up, it is a place of privilege and its not good these things happen for those who might not even have a credit card, let alone a checking account. That's a larger issue for another day.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
This is becoming a common response from the elitist crowd to business owners in Chicago who are legitimately being run to the ground by taxes, rent, decreased foot traffic, etc. The whole "don't let the door hit you on the way out!" snide attitude..
What would your solution be? Flirting dangerously close with encouraging governments to interfere with a free market here. Lowering taxes isn’t going to solve rising rents in desirable areas or the siren song of online shopping. Evolve or die... I hope the furniture store owner finds great success in Florida, it often takes risks (like moving) to find a new edge.

Or alternatively, building more affordable housing to increase foot traffic to budget furniture stores in rapidly changing neighborhoods could do the trick. But that’s often seen as the final step to 1917 Russia to pro-capitalist folks in Chicago, so it’s sort of a rock and hard place.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
One man's trash is another man's Florida.

Seriously, though, I'd consider moving to Florida myself if I smoked, jet-skied and was named Tammy. There's no better place to be if you enjoy hearing people complain about walking. Plus you get to shoot whomever you want as long as you say they were threatening you!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD2010 View Post
Now I don't know all the information on this topic so please correct me if I am wrong, most of this is my own observation as a single man in his late 20's.

Chicago itself in the past few years has seen a growth in young educated professionals, and has been offsetting the natural population aging and loss of other areas in the state, hence the stagnant growth. Predictions do have its population growing up to 12+ mil metro in the next few years to become the only US entry to the mega city category. This of course was pre-pandemic.

I myself grew up in South Florida and let me tell you, I dislike it, to me it feels stagnant, and I have spent 6mo here now due to the pandemic WFH visiting family, and it feels the same (it is currently a big laughing stock among many young people due to its poor leadership with Covid as well). It's growing but with a population that is older, and don't stimulate the economy as much as I'd like to see or find super beneficial for locals. In my field, staying in SFL was not an option for long term growth, and the livability of a place like SFL for a young person with student loan debt is not ideal. There is no public transit, a lower base pay, a high cost of living (unless we're talking moving to places like Port St. Lucie or other smaller towns which again, great for some but for people looking to grow offer next to nothing) and frankly not many cultural institutions.

I wouldn't trade my life in Chicago for a few less tax dollars in SFL (though I could do without the -10 degree days) as it would lower my quality of life which I can afford comfortably in Chicago. Like me there are many, I can tell you almost everyone that I went to High School with (class of '12) who were pursuing complex careers or had big aspirations left and none of us have/plan to come back, (in fact when we talk one of the first topics we bring up is how happy we are that we left). We've gone to Chicago, NY, DC, LA/SF, Seattle, and some to Texas, we also grew up in a nice suburb with a well funded school. Now this isn't a thing that can't be reversed, but I have found myself seeing a brain drain occurring there in my opinion. However I will say I find public schools, in certain counties here, far better than Chicagoland.

I do think Florida will continue to grow, and let me tell you if I hear one more New Yorker here say how much they miss New York I will scream. But I think you gotta look at how Chicago is setting itself up for the future (life science and tech hub) and how it is handling it current growth, I think its being done well and in fact its gaining traction amongst the younger professionals which I'm afraid will raise prices.

One must also look at the climate issues threatening both places as it starts to play an even bigger role for the coming generations, Chicago sits at the best odds globally along with Toronto, not to mention the great lakes megalopolis is already one of the most populated mega regions in the world with over 50mil people. Meanwhile, dealing with constant flooding (more so in the actual suburbs not so much the condos on the barrier islands) is getting to be excessive, excessive heat (in 2001 our summer highs were around 80-90 to now around 90-100+ many days), we still have people with roofs that haven't been repaired or in insurance claim disputes from Hurricane Wilma in 2005, which was only a category 3.

Businesses are closing in Chicago, due to the pandemic and our tough restrictions, which are warranted, but I have also seen a plethora of businesses surprisingly opening, not to mention the amount of major corps in Chicago and start-up attitude the city has which is appealing to many. I think Chicago will have a tough time in the near future, as most major cities will, but will still come up on top later. There is a lot more that people look at aside from taxes when choosing where to move, and for many in the under 30 category thats not something we really look at in general for now. Not to mention that nothing compares to a Chicago summer, the festivals, events, the general atmosphere, really unmatched.

But that is my 2 cents based on my observations, you make valid points as well, but again 2 sides to every story.
Ultimately, the grass is greener on the other side. I've experienced it personally and I have friends who have experienced it. At the end of the day, people are pretty bad with calculating the total costs of where they're at currently vs. where they'd be at if they move. Sometimes it works out but other times people realize they made a decision based on incomplete data. Sometimes it works out - and that's awesome when it does wherever someone moves to.

A lot of people will put up with the high taxes in various places depending on what they do for a living and how much they make as well. Like if I made less than $100K/year, I wouldn't live in NYC or SF, but Chicago? As long as it was above $50K I probably would. There are just some industries that aren't present or very large in Florida, Nevada, Texas, etc that are only really present big time in cities like NYC and Chicago. There might be finance in Miami, but you're going to have a much harder time finding a job in a hedge fund or prop trading firm (yes even with a few moving there) today vs. NYC or Chicago.

The smartest things that cities in those 0 income states could do is attract those businesses. They have a little, but not that much in the grand scheme of things. Things might be shifting but it's not to the point where people just move. You find billionaires moving to places like Florida. Why is this news? They've been doing this for awhile and it's not indicative of a normal, every day person. The reasons for their move might both be financial in nature but they're both very different situations in reality.

I think the cities in the south have an opportunity to really "steal" a lot of people away but I think people believe it's further along in terms of making people forget where they came from than reality.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 10:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORD2010 View Post
^ No offense, you seem very nice and genuine, but therein kinda lies the problem. We hear these perspectives from "late 20s" or "30 something" whipper snappers all day every day and it's the same clueless perspective. I know that most of that demographic is ignorant about running a business. I was one once.

Many have their neat little software-tech-whatever consulting job which somehow is now happening from home, and pay rent, and all is well. Never fear, the "educated bright elite are all still coming to the city in droves" and everybody who complains, well, "don't let the door hit you on the way out" as you go to backwards Trumpist Florida.

It's the old and tired routine, but it's completely off. It's not telling anything close to the complexity of the real story.

I'm not saying that I have the answers, but post-COVID Chicago needs a new formula. Because at least for some proportion of the population, work from home is here to stay--and "work from home" can mean suburbs, or maybe it can mean Missouri.

These small businesses are mostly owned by people who aren't 33 years old, they are older and more cynical, but that doesn't make them all 'mean Trumpist assholes' or whatever they are falsely being characterized as. They are a huge part of Chicago's tax base that are not as mobile as the "work from home" types who can do their job from anywhere. This year has been enormously painful for them, perhaps destructive, and they deserve better than some asshole with the whole "enjoy Florida, you won't be missed!" nonsense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest