HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 9:18 PM

City of Winnipeg is starting a pilot project to replace parking signage with easy-to-parse diagrams. They're starting out with just the Exchange.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7928669/n...g-spot-easier/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
City of Winnipeg is starting a pilot project to replace parking signage with easy-to-parse diagrams. They're starting out with just the Exchange.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7928669/n...g-spot-easier/
Nice to see this being tested. The idea has been around for a while, but I'm not sure how many cities have actually taken the plunge.

Definitely a huge improvement in the treatment of snow routes. The current "Snow Route No Stopping" signs are not very informative -- what is a "snow route", and when can't you stop there? It's much clearer in the new sign.

Slightly concerned that the general No Stopping sign is just a tiny red strip on the bottom of the parking guide. Seems easy to miss.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 9:41 PM

Lagimodiere Blvd to get another set of traffic signals in near future. Red River co-op is putting in a Gas Bar / C store at 717Lagimodiere @ Cottonwood and is going to pay the bulk of the cost to signalize and do intersection improvements. The traffic volume from the CO-OP will exceed the requirements to warrant installing signals.

There is a concern that the signals may cause an increase in east west traffic thru Windsor Park. As well it is noted that they "may" slow down traffic on Lagimodiere

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Lagimodiere Blvd to get another set of traffic signals in near future. Red River co-op is putting in a Gas Bar / C store at 717Lagimodiere @ Cottonwood and is going to pay the bulk of the cost to signalize and do intersection improvements. The traffic volume from the CO-OP will exceed the requirements to warrant installing signals.

There is a concern that the signals may cause an increase in east west traffic thru Windsor Park. As well it is noted that they "may" slow down traffic on Lagimodiere
Might as well wreck the only stretch of Lag where you can consistently get to 80 kmh even if its rush hour.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Might as well wreck the only stretch of Lag where you can consistently get to 80 kmh even if its rush hour.
As its going to be done with on demand signaling sensors there will be times when the signals will stay green for north south traffic for longer periods of time and the speed should be maintained.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 11:30 PM

This had better not happen.. people need to contact the councilors and express the hate for this.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 12:36 AM

There is also a 5 story office building proposed for the NE corner of Cottonwood and Lag.

Ironclad Developments

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
This had better not happen.. people need to contact the councilors and express the hate for this.
I know I just complained about it myself but this is essentially inevitable. The intersection was dicey as it was so I'm not surprised that simply putting a gas station in will push traffic count above signalization thresholds. Our expressways are a lost cause anyhow. There's lights all over Lag, what's another infrequent light going to change.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Our expressways are a lost cause anyhow.
My thoughts exactly.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 3:39 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
My thoughts exactly.
I always find myself shaking my head in disgust. How is it that we can't get our shot together for even one thing
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 4:51 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
There is also a 5 story office building proposed for the NE corner of Cottonwood and Lag.

Ironclad Developments
Right next to Springs Church?

Oh boy...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 4:54 AM

It’s time the city starts setting down the blueprints for the required infrastructure that needs to come with these proposals. Ie diamond interchange.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
It’s time the city starts setting down the blueprints for the required infrastructure that needs to come with these proposals. Ie diamond interchange.
That would take a huge shift from the current state of affairs at city hall, and there's no way they would implement that for cottonwood lol.

This is the city that scaled back the demands on waverley west developers to not need to grade separate (or pay part of) the 6 intersections on Kenaston.

Also the city that is happy with making the Sage Creek developers pay for only one lane per direction of the Bishop eastward extension to blvd des hivernants, nevermind even considering some sort of grade separation at des hivernants, warde, or Lag/Bishop. You can read about this requirement on the same agenda as the cottonwood lights, and how the city has to do fiscal juggling to find the money for the other lane and services.

And lastly, the same city that had a construction company brag that building the SB kenaston to EB bishop flyover was the first non-rail grade separation in the city for over 20 years. That thing was built 5 years ago and it doesn't look like we're getting anything in the foreseeable future.

End rant.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 8:00 AM

That is so embarrassing on so many levels. When is this city going to evolve into the future?? Make a service road from the springs church lights northbound along 59. Absolutely no need for any more lights especially in that span. What is that like a half a km span… if you look at satellite view on google maps a service road is started to the left of the church along 59. It’s niakwa rd East.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 1:39 PM

The city won't evolve transportation standards because there isn't enough money to do so and there is no political will to raise taxes, end of story. The city doesn't have much room to borrow additional funds to cover massive infrastructure costs like grade separations, there is not enough tax dollars to build more than one interchange every decade, and council is keen on keeping property taxes low.

The average Winnipeg voter would gladly take a low property tax environment in exchange for a very inefficient transportation network. In general, a 1% property tax increase can buy Winnipeg roughly $100 million in debt - assuming creditors, investors, and council all approve it. So if the ring road needs $1 billion in upgrades all covered by city taxpayers, you'd need at least 10% property tax increase dedicated solely towards that initiative if it was all on borrowed cash. And if not borrowed, taxes would need to be even higher in the short run.

Of course, a willing federal and provincial government would cover 50 to 60% of costs but the current provincial government isn't in spending mode, and the feds prefer green transit over road infrastructure. In short, the city probably won't ever get a proper inner ring road network due to the astronomical costs associated and frugal tax base.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
The city won't evolve transportation standards because there isn't enough money to do so and there is no political will to raise taxes, end of story. The city doesn't have much room to borrow additional funds to cover massive infrastructure costs like grade separations, there is not enough tax dollars to build more than one interchange every decade, and council is keen on keeping property taxes low.

The average Winnipeg voter would gladly take a low property tax environment in exchange for a very inefficient transportation network. In general, a 1% property tax increase can buy Winnipeg roughly $100 million in debt - assuming creditors, investors, and council all approve it. So if the ring road needs $1 billion in upgrades all covered by city taxpayers, you'd need at least 10% property tax increase dedicated solely towards that initiative if it was all on borrowed cash. And if not borrowed, taxes would need to be even higher in the short run.

Of course, a willing federal and provincial government would cover 50 to 60% of costs but the current provincial government isn't in spending mode, and the feds prefer green transit over road infrastructure. In short, the city probably won't ever get a proper inner ring road network due to the astronomical costs associated and frugal tax base.
Interesting point of bringing finances into this. I had a thought the other day that with the province gradually removing the education tax from the property bill, I wonder if there will be more openness to city tax increases, or at the very least, it wouldn't be political suicide for councillors to push that through, which would add to general revenues.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Interesting point of bringing finances into this. I had a thought the other day that with the province gradually removing the education tax from the property bill, I wonder if there will be more openness to city tax increases, or at the very least, it wouldn't be political suicide for councillors to push that through, which would add to general revenues.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?
You would think that the City must be smacking its lips looking at the potential property tax dollars that will be sitting on the table once the province completes its plan. I don't think it would be political suicide to jack up municipal taxes but I think a strong case would have to be made for it.

If the City puts an increase in terms of supporting infrastructure construction or renewal that will help improve Winnipeg's long term economic competitiveness, or something that will lead to tangible quality of life improvements, then it might be an easier sell.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 3:32 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post

Ironclad Developments
And a lumber yard similar to Star Building Materials
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
You would think that the City must be smacking its lips looking at the potential property tax dollars that will be sitting on the table once the province completes its plan. I don't think it would be political suicide to jack up municipal taxes but I think a strong case would have to be made for it.

If the City puts an increase in terms of supporting infrastructure construction or renewal that will help improve Winnipeg's long term economic competitiveness, or something that will lead to tangible quality of life improvements, then it might be an easier sell.
Trending off-topic here....

But, the City is really handcuffed if they don't have partners in the upper levels of government. This is on both the operational and infrastructure sides.

The City could drastically cut operations costs in terms of public safety/health services they must fund, but they need a Province to play their role in terms of funding proactive and preventative measures that lessen the need for crisis services the City is tasked with providing or even basic services like Transit. This isn't happening at all, which is a shame because there are billions and billions each decade we are losing in this political blame/vote buy game, billions that could be used to actually improve our communities. This is the problem as opposed to taxation at the municipal level IMO, but there is room to raise property taxes in Winnipeg too.

The Feds just have to be willing to spend. Right now they are but our City/Province relationship basically doesn't exist, and the Province has an ideological stance against accepting Federal money unless they can squirrel it into general revenue (why Pallister clamors for higher health transfers while he uses what he gets to fund tax cuts) and use it to cut taxes to seem heroic to their base.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 4:10 PM

Quote:

I don't think we need to be taxed anymore. Let's be honest. When you look at there all the cities cash flow goes. It's quite clear where the issue lays. And I'd imagine raising taxes would just get that certain sector of the cities budget even more money.

I pay $6800 in taxes. And I don't live in tuxedo. My street does look like a street from a war torn country. Still a combined sewer. So where's my $6800 going in an old neighborhood now less. Sure isn't here.

Places that needed the higher taxes were the new developments. And it should not have been a tax on the homes. But on the developers period. Like you have said and many others. All developments should be made to pay for proper intersections and of needed flyovers. Sure they would have to raise the price of home.

And the province needs to start taxing people that move out of the city yet work in it. If you cross the perimeter Highway to get to work in the city. Then you need to pay higher taxes .

But I don't think this will ever happen. We have a sewage treatment plant that needs billions. And I'm sure there are more ticking time bombs in the city that will need money.

Roads will never get attention.

However that stretch of 59. It actually could use lights as that corner is dangerous as ever in the winter. And the accidents there are high. Luckily not fatal ones that I know of. But that stretch carries way more traffic then it is built for.

As for Bishop. We have to accept that the south east Portions will be just like 59. I think the only section that might ever be grade seperated now maybe from St Anne's to Mgillvery. And that's in 50 years or more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan