HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 11:57 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The top view on their page is the 60th floor. Weird.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 12:01 AM
Avon calling

I would imagine that's because the 60th floor is the last residential floor. I think the 61st is going to be the amenity floor just like the top floor of the Austonian is. By the way, it's awesome that residents will have a view of the Capitol even from the 10th floor. Since there's a view corridor through there, that view is not going anywhere. There are some interesting sightlines from that floor.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 12:06 AM

Can't wait to see your diagram on here...SOON?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 12:12 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I would imagine that's because the 60th floor is the last residential floor. I think the 61st is going to be the amenity floor just like the top floor of the Austonian is. By the way, it's awesome that residents will have a view of the Capitol even from the 10th floor. Since there's a view corridor through there, that view is not going anywhere. There are some interesting sightlines from that floor.
The Austonian is listed on wiki as being 56 floors. Is that wrong?

If this one is 1 more than Austonian, then is it 57 or 61 or what?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 12:14 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Nevermind. Didn't see your reply to jdawg slip in there.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 2:47 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I noticed that. If they have their facts straight, that would mean it can't be taller than the Austonian. As it is now, the Austonian is the tallest all residential building west of the Mississippi. In fact, it's taller than any residential building west of Chicago - about three quarters of the western portion of the country doesn't have a taller residential building.
The Austonian is the tallest "all residential" building west of the Mississippi. If there is still a roughly 180,000 SF office component to this tower, it is considered mixed-use...thus, "one of the tallest 'residential' towers west of the Mississippi." It is not in the same "category" of building as the Austonian.

Again, if SCRAPERWILL's specs are true...the roof of the highest occupied floor of this tower will be higher then that of the Austonian (roof height of highest occupied floor = 664' vs. 622'). The Austionian's "crown" structure begins at 622'.

Please stop looking at these massing models as if it were perfectly accurate. It is a marketing tool and a tool used to see how a rough design "may" look amongst its surroundings. Furthermore, the "view" section of the Independent's website is only there to give you a reasonable idea as to what the view may look like from a rough height. Again, it is not the rule. It is a marketing tool...and absolutely not meant to be used to decipher the actual height of this tower.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; Dec 18, 2014 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 4:40 AM

It looks like an uneven stack of boxes to me. I have almost the exact design in my closet where I stacked 3 packages from Amazon and one from QVC. As usual, I'm gonna go against popular opinion and say I'm not going to let the height hype pull me into liking this rendering as is. But I suppose a more refined rendering with different angles could change my mind.

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 18, 2014 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:35 AM

Wow! This is a building to truly get excited about. If the final product represents this render, it will be the new signature building for Austin. The design is on a much higher caliber than most of the other buildings going up. It's awesome.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It looks like an uneven stack of boxes to me. I have almost the exact design in my closet where I stacked 3 packages from Amazon and one from QVC. As usual, I'm gonna go against popular opinion and say I'm not going to let the height hype pull me into liking this rendering as is. But I suppose a more refined rendering with different angles could change my mind.
I tend to agree with you, Genral. I wish there were more real details about this project. Information about financing might be useful in order to guage whether or not this thing is likely to get built. Their website is really nothing more than a puff piece video featuring the developers and their hired hands talking about how amazing it is all going to be. Other than that, the "view" photos are kind of cool. You can check out the same view from heights ranging from 10 floors up all the way to 60 floors up. I would get a nosebleed anywhere past the 30th floor.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:19 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It hasn't been officially announced yet. They just recently created a facebook, twitter and instagram account in addition to that site. I think they're just getting ready to announce and we found it sooner than expected.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 3:14 PM
Avon calling

Yeah, I forgot about the office component. Besides, LA is about to pass everyone with Wilshire Grand.

Still, I was also basing the height estimations off of the aerial drone photos they took. Those drones now are capable of hovering in place at a precise altitude that could represent the floor height they're planning. Anyway, we'll see. Part of the fun of it is the guessing game. 61 floors would have me assuming it's much taller than 674 feet judging from other buildings, especially since the parking will be below ground. Parking levels are much shorter than any other floor type. 10 floors of parking sometimes don't even crack 90 feet in height.

What makes this project more than just some fluffy marketing job is it's actually going through the development process with the city, and that's a lot more than ever happened with the failed tower at 501 Congress. The condo market right now is strong and of course the office market is, so I'd say as long as they can get approval from the city and funding for it, I wouldn't worry too much.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 6:44 PM
Member since 2001

Regarding the video on The Independent's website: Did anyone else notice the other massing models on the table in the background? One of those seemed to be taller than the one at which Rhode, Lorenz and Burns were looking.

To those of you who may have more intimate knowledge of this project...was there a taller version ever envisioned/massed (i.e., 65-75+ stories)?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Regarding the video on The Independent's website: Did anyone else notice the other massing models on the table in the background? One of those seemed to be taller than the one at which Rhode, Lorenz and Burns were looking.
I didn't notice that but did notice that the web address that flashes on the screen at the end of the video has a typo

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 9:13 PM
Avon calling

I did read on Kevin Burn's Facebook page: "quite possibly the tallest in downtown Austin!"

Anyway, I took some screenshots of the model to post here.

http://www.rhodepartners.com/#profile

http://www.independentaustin.com/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
From the image provided by Rhode Partners, there seems to be a substantial architectural piece (crown) at the top of this tower.
I wonder if that little crown emblem of one of the logos is a clue as to what the actual crown of the building may resemble.

Logo from The Independent's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/independentaustin

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 10:46 PM
Member since 2001

Just to be a little more clear...when I mentioned: "crown," I was in no way referring to something resembling a royal headpiece.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Just to be a little more clear...when I mentioned: "crown," I was in no way referring to something resembling a royal headpiece.
I always thought the Frost Bank Tower's crown kinda resembles a royal headpiece.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I always thought the Frost Bank Tower's crown kinda resembles a royal headpiece.
It's an owl

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
It's an owl
No, It's a nose and ear hair clipper.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 2:10 AM

For some reason I feel like playing a game of Jenga.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin