HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:21 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Looks like a copy of a similar tower that just opened in Denmark
Probably and yes very similar. They say the Malahat SkyWalk was inspired by ones in Europe, which have become popular around the world. It is also very similar to this one in Austria (except the one has a slide!):

https://www.baumwipfelpfade.at/en/sa...eetop-walk.php

Kinda like how those glass bottomed platform/walkways at high elevations have become popular tourist traps, too.

https://www.tourismontheedge.com/get...s-around-world

Last edited by craneSpotter; May 9, 2019 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:30 PM
is watching.

Scary stuff - glad all the tourists are safe!

Updated: Rescue underway for Victoria whale watching boat off U.S. coast
Seattle Search and Rescue running rescue of 45 people on board

Black Press - May. 9, 2019 2:00 p.m.
https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/ne...off-u-s-coast/

Quote:
At approximately 12:35 p.m. Thursday, the Eagle Wing whale watching vessel 4Ever Wild came in contact with a rock near Smith Island, in U.S. waters off the Washington coast. The vessel sustained damage so the captain brought the vessel safely to shore on Smith Island, according to Eagle Wing Tours.

Seattle Search and Rescue is running the rescue that involves the US Coast Guard, Victoria Lifeboat Cape Calvert and numerous other Canadian whale watching boats that were in the area.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 10:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Believe it or not, this is actually an upgrade. We've replaced our old bus painted to resemble a tram with this... it just drives around between sites of interest. Tourists will be able to just get on and off at any of them. And, of course, I strongly approve of the Republic flag colours.

For reference, this is what it's replacing (the below will still exist, I think, but the above is going to win, lol):

Which was intended to resemble this:

Video Link

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 14, 2019 at 11:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:03 PM
is watching.

First Quarter (Jan - Mar 2019) international Canadian tourism statistics are out.

Some highlights:
  • Total arrivals over the first quarter of 2019 were the second highest on record following the peak achieved in 2018.
  • Arrivals from China over the first quarter of 2019 stayed in positive territory (+0.5%), in spite of a slip in March 2019 (-1.5%). This slight decline was primarily driven by a double-digital contraction in air arrivals via the US (-20.1%), along with a more subdued decline in air arrivals direct from overseas (-0.4%).
  • India (+16.3%), France (+ 6.2%) and Australia (+2.7%) gained ground in March 2019, thanks to strong arrivals by air direct from overseas. Over the first quarter of 2019, all three markets expanded (India +12.6%, France +6.4%, and Australia +3.2%), adding to gains from Mexico (7.8%) and China (+0.5%), as well as US Air (+5.1%).

source: https://www.destinationcanada.com/en...ourismincanada

Last edited by craneSpotter; Jun 28, 2019 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:21 PM
is watching.

New federal whale watching regulations came into effect Jun1, 2019. https://www.timescolonist.com/busine...ons-1.23855586

Victoria whale watching company launches newest vessel

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/v...ssel-1.4443320

Quote:
...The newest vessel, Salish Sea Eclipse, has a 96-passenger capacity, reducing the number of vessels needed for tours...

..The ship runs on water-jet engines, which the company says are quieter than vessels that use propellers...

The new ships were designed in Victoria and built in Vancouver.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 11:33 PM

I've never once thought there are too many tourists when I'm DT at work or on the weekend or on a day trip to NF on a summer weekend or when walking around Old Montreal or Old QC.

Have you been in Banff or Whistler or Peggy's Cove or whatever city and thought this is way too many tourists?

One way it has affected me is the two times I wanted to book a hotel in NF in the summer on the weekend and prices were too crazy and had to settle for some sleaze bag motel one night with some drunk, wife beater wearing, backwards ball cap douche mouthing off next door at 3am lounging outside the room beside us.

The other time, even the motels were completely booked and we gave up and drove back home. This was before smart phones so the search wasn't exhaustive.

But even then, I was happy that NF was such a happening place because lots of vacancy in the summer would mean it would be more like Niagara Falls, NY instead of Niagara Falls, ON.

Booking a hotel DT TO in the summer is a joke with those prices, but that doesn't affect me so whatever.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2019...touristed-city

Quote:
In order to understand the struggles these cities could face in coming years and how they might address them, the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) and real estate firm JLL recently put together the Destination 2030 index as a way to measure tourism readiness, based on tourism growth and the cities’ ability to manage that growth. The index measures 75 tourism indicators – including the concentration of visitors, urban readiness and local policy engagement – to determine the challenges ahead for 50 of the world’s major cities.

In the report’s ‘Managing Momentum’ group, cities with high growth in tourism numbers were flagged as potentially causing strain on existing infrastructure if steps aren’t taken to manage the growth. We talked to a few residents in these cities to find out how the influx of travellers in recent years has affected them, how authorities are responding and how visitors can remain respectful of the people who live there year-round.

Toronto

Not every city sees the growing number of visitors as a bad thing. “Personally, I love seeing more people flocking to our great city of Toronto,” said Kyle Collier, founder of tech startup Phaze. “I've lived in Shanghai, China, so from my standpoint Toronto has lots of space.” That doesn’t mean Toronto doesn’t face challenges ahead ­– the index ranks the city in the highest quartile for overall ‘crunch’.

Personally, I love seeing more people flocking to our great city of Toronto

While the tourism industry seems ready to take on the influx of visitors, according to locals, it’s housing where residents are feeling the real pressure. “Toronto was already facing an affordable housing shortage. Especially in the downtown core, this has been exacerbated by the advent of holiday rentals (such as Airbnb),” said resident Eric Wychopen, who blogs about the province at Ontario Away. “It’s common now to see condo terms and conditions prohibiting renters from posting their properties for holiday rent. However, it’s also common knowledge that some tenants still illegally rent their properties.”

For tourists, a little respect for the environment goes a long way for locals. “Littering is something that disappoints me,” Collier said. “You certainly wouldn't want people littering in your home, so why do it to everyone else? Respect the planet, and people, especially those you don't know.”

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 12:15 AM
Reason and Freedom

Three Canadian cities ranked among the top 10 destinations in North America for global travellers this year, according to Mastercard’s 2019 Global Destination Cities Index:

Source: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...-north-america

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Three Canadian cities ranked among the top 10 destinations in North America for global travellers this year, according to Mastercard’s 2019 Global Destination Cities Index:
That shouldn't be a surprise. There are 327 million Americans who might visit Canadian cities but only 37 million Canadians who might visit USA cities. It's easier for our cities to find International Visitors.

Much more interesting would be rankings by visitors from outside North America.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:56 PM

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:06 PM

The only good thing about this virus is that, due to social distancing and far less travellers, air travel might actually become enjoyable again. Back in the day, air travel was a delight and pleasant experience as opposed to the Chinese water torture it has become today.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
The only good thing about this virus is that, due to social distancing and far less travellers, air travel might actually become enjoyable again. Back in the day, air travel was a delight and pleasant experience as opposed to the Chinese water torture it has become today.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but WestJet and Air Canada announced last week that they will packing their planes to the brim once again starting Canada Day.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/westjet-a...ly-1-1.5001550

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:03 AM

Oh well, one could at least hope.

Air travel is one of the few services that has gotten noticeably worse over the last 40 years and every decade it seems to hit a new bottom. It's gone from being a delight to being nothing more than a Greyhound bus that flies.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:17 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Oh well, one could at least hope.

Air travel is one of the few services that has gotten noticeably worse over the last 40 years and every decade it seems to hit a new bottom. It's gone from being a delight to being nothing more than a Greyhound bus that flies.
Pay for more than a Greyhound and the service will come back.

Most don't want to. Simply because being mildly uncomfortable for a few hours is a small price to pay for inexpensive travel.

Is modern-day flying that bad? Maybe things were slightly better in the past, but even then it's not like economy passengers were getting champagne and caviar in the 1970s and 1980s. All the while paying more while adjusted for inflation.

At the end of the day, being seated in an aluminum tube is basically mildly unpleasant. At least now you can watch your choice of movie and decide if you want to pay for food on the flight between Winnipeg and Toronto. Personally, I'll save that money on the fare and get better food and drink on the ground, thanks.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:44 PM

^ Yeah, relatively speaking 1970s style commercial air travel is still available for anyone who wants it at adjusted 1970s prices... aka business class. And if someone says that business class is prohibitively expensive, so was air travel for most people back in the 70s. The choice is a reasonable one in my view... either pony up for comfort, or get a deal and endure it for a few hours until you reach your destination.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:07 PM
the first stamp is free

^ 80's too.

When I was growing up, we didn't fly anywhere for family trips. Always road trips.

I didn't fly on a commercial flight until I was in grade 6 for a school trip.

Comparatively, my two kids have both flown for family trips at least 6 times each, and the oldest is in grade 4. We certainly aren't any more well off than my parents were.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:24 PM
A Better Place

High speed rail should be the answer to crappy flying experiences. I realize it would be outrageously expensive to build a cross-Canada HSR line (I loved taking the Shinkansen 800km from Tokyo to Hakodate in under 4.5 hours), but one can dream.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 11:32 AM

Thankful to call this country home. Happy Canada Day everyone!
Here is a winter landscape of Algonquin Provincial Park. Took this one last year as well on a Canoeing trip just before the lake froze over.

https://imgur.com/CJp7Z09

Last edited by cowolter; Jul 9, 2020 at 8:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:28 PM

Definite uptick in the amount of tourists in town with Albertans and Vancouverites. Its nice that people from Vancouver aren't just driving to Kelowna and turning around.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 1:41 AM

Saw my first Ontario license plate in Castlegar today. That's a very long drive but I've done it myself.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 3:21 PM

Travel & Leisure has just published its top 5 cities in Canada for 2020 :

https://www.travelandleisure.com/wor...9O_AXNxBHDpiSc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada