HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:21 PM
Editor

I'm liking the way the Flames are playing this year. Yeah, their record doesn't show it, but they are more interesting to watch, and have actually dominated play more often than not......something you rarely saw in the last few seasons. Hartley's coaching seems to have made a difference with some of more skilled guys like Hudler, Backlund and Tanguay.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:53 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I'm liking the way the Flames are playing this year. Yeah, their record doesn't show it, but they are more interesting to watch, and have actually dominated play more often than not......something you rarely saw in the last few seasons. Hartley's coaching seems to have made a difference with some of more skilled guys like Hudler, Backlund and Tanguay.
Among the top five teams in the league for most shots per game and fewest shots allowed per game. Just need the goaltending to be better and a little more luck around the net.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 5:50 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I dunno, I still maintain that with fewer than 10 games played, a record is meaningless. Just look at all those years Toronto went 4-0 (or whatever) to start the season.

The Flames have been playing a pretty aggressive puck possession game practically all season and it shows, as Reesonov mentions. We're up there with the most shots, and fewest shots against. It's too bad our D is letting in QUALITY shots, but that can be addressed with practice.

It's way, WAY, WAAAAAY too early to hope for much, but... this team might end up surprising a lot of people. The raw talent has always been there, but the coaching has never let it come out. People forget just how good these guys are - on paper. We'll see if enough Sutter years have destroyed them.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I dunno, I still maintain that with fewer than 10 games played, a record is meaningless. Just look at all those years Toronto went 4-0 (or whatever) to start the season.

The Flames have been playing a pretty aggressive puck possession game practically all season and it shows, as Reesonov mentions. We're up there with the most shots, and fewest shots against. It's too bad our D is letting in QUALITY shots, but that can be addressed with practice.

It's way, WAY, WAAAAAY too early to hope for much, but... this team might end up surprising a lot of people. The raw talent has always been there, but the coaching has never let it come out. People forget just how good these guys are - on paper. We'll see if enough Sutter years have destroyed them.
It's definitely too early to judge the Flames. They have a new coaching staff and system, and have only played 8 games. I'm liking what I'm seeing on offense, but they are still pretty sloppy in their own end.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:20 PM

I just checked the standings and never mind Pittsburgh.

Chicago in the West are destroying.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:28 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

If Glencross didn't have the worst luck in the NHL with regards to burying chances we'd have a couple more wins (Chicago for sure (he could've had a hattie if things bounced his way), last night in regulation). I can't imagine how frustrated he's gotta be getting! At least he got one in Detroit.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:32 PM

Glencross has 4 goals and 2 assists in 8 games, I think he's doing pretty well.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:38 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yeah, but how many posts? And against Chicago he had more close calls than I've ever seen a player get in a game without scoring. It was unreal.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:46 PM
Khan

If there was any justice in this world, Calgary would have beaten Chicago 8-1 that night.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:52 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
It's definitely too early to judge the Flames. They have a new coaching staff and system, and have only played 8 games. I'm liking what I'm seeing on offense, but they are still pretty sloppy in their own end.
It's stuff like this why I have no problem judging this early.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 6:56 PM

An overzealous article written by some guy on a website I've never even heard of?

He's using comic sans or some shit.. You can do better than that. How far down are you reaching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Yup. Jets lost. And rightfully so. Congrats on the win Loafs. But it doesn't detract from my point. Your team is still 47 years cupless and still falling. Once they win the cup, then I won't rag on you anymore. Until then, you are still a garbage team with a annoying hot garbage fanbase.
Speaking of hot garbage fanbases... When's the honeymoon over anyway?

Rather be in a drought than be a virgin. Maybe a Winnipeg team should at least make the finals (or the 3rd round) before talking about other teams not winning a cup.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 7:21 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Among the top five teams in the league for most shots per game and fewest shots allowed per game. Just need the goaltending to be better and a little more luck around the net.
Yeah, Irving wasn't bad, but the first one was a marshmallow. That said, he made some good saves. And Kipper wasn't exactly tearing it up.

Last night they hit those three goalposts in a row....I was thinking, not this again! Without trying to sound too much like a homer, I agree 100%, they have had a lot of bad bounces...especially Glencross, who could have 20 goals by now if just a bit better luck.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Speaking of hot garbage fanbases... When's the honeymoon over anyway?

Rather be in a drought than be a virgin. Maybe a Winnipeg team should at least make the finals (or the 3rd round) before talking about other teams not winning a cup.
No such thing as a honeymoon in hockey markets, IMO. Only self-rightious, pompous people from fanbases who can hear a pin drop at their own morgue-like arena atmospheres say things like that. No worries, I'm used to Torontoians thinking their hot shit, even though the rest of the country knows they are not. I don't normally talk smack about other teams, but I make the exception for Torontonias because, well, quite frankly, it's fun (It's all in good fun )

Anyways, I'm done now. The game is over and in the history books. Feel free to banter away with yourself if you'd like.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
If there was any justice in this world, Calgary would have beaten Chicago 8-1 that night.
If there was any justice in the world Chicago would lose by 8 goals every night.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Glencross has 4 goals and 2 assists in 8 games, I think he's doing pretty well.
He's played well, and if not for a couple of unlucky bounces and some goal posts he would likely be one of the media stories thus far.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 8:09 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
An overzealous article written by some guy on a website I've never even heard of?

He's using comic sans or some shit.. You can do better than that. How far down are you reaching?
I'm not reaching - I'm comparing myself, some random dude posting on the Internet (in a construction forum of all things), to some other random dude on the Internet posting on his blog.

It's just funnier because his blog gets picked up by news services (Google) where my rumblings are limited to the 20 or so of us here who actually read this otherwise off-topic thread.

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that this guy is the Toronto Sports Network (4-0 start! Playoffs in sight!) or the mayor (plan the parade boys, Darcy Tucker will get us a cup!).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 8:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

OK, I need some help here.

Dear Francophone SSPers - is this name as funny in French as it is in English?

I swear, sometimes you just can't make up shit this good. What's next, Vancouver will sign a dude actually named Johnny Canuck? (Yes, I realize the joke isn't 100% until this guy plays for the Habs or the incoming Diques)

Last edited by freeweed; Feb 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:08 PM
Community Guy

Lander out for oil with a broken foot...

Well if anything, the injuries for the Oil have been taking more of the ineffective people out.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:25 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
OK, I need some help here.

Dear Francophone SSPers - is this name as funny in French as it is in English?

I swear, sometimes you just can't make up shit this good. What's next, Vancouver will sign a dude actually named Johnny Canuck? (Yes, I realize the joke isn't 100% until this guy plays for the Habs or the incoming Diques)
I always liked Richard Zednick. Did he change the way he pronounced his name when he played in the U.S.?

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 10:14 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
If Glencross didn't have the worst luck in the NHL with regards to burying chances we'd have a couple more wins (Chicago for sure (he could've had a hattie if things bounced his way), last night in regulation). I can't imagine how frustrated he's gotta be getting! At least he got one in Detroit.
Haha, kind of like Bourque. He has 7 pts in 10 games but he could easily have more. He must have been injured last season (had surgery this summer) because he looks like a completely different player.

Quote:
Through 10 games, Rene Bourque is only 2 goals and 1 point short of his 38-game total with Montreal last season. Bourque leads the Canadiens with an incredible 18 to 1 scoring chance ratio. Expressed simply, this means that Bourque helps produce 18 scoring chances, for every 1 scoring chance he is responsible for.
http://www.boucherscouting.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada