HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Form Lost Ottawa Facebook page;

Ottawa from the Air in this photo dated to September of 1955.

You can see a lot of the old city in this one, including the Eddy Plant, the Printing Bureau on Nepean Point, the temporary buildings on Sussex, Elgin and Wellington, etc.

There's quite a few buildings where Confederation Park and the NAC are now, but if you look along Slater and Albert half of downtown seems to be a parking lot!

(Photo: Harold Mayer, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee catw-5248)

https://www.facebook.com/LostOttawa/...type=3&theater

Similar view about 6 years ago.

https://www.ottawatourism.ca/ottawa-...e-ecodistrict/
What building was that where the Supreme Court is now?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:02 PM

One of the tempo buildings that were put up on empty lots around town during WWII. Basically identical to the one sitting on the site where the RMOC built what is now City Hall at the bottom of the photo. There was a big one at Dow's Lake, too.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
One of the tempo buildings that were put up on empty lots around town during WWII. Basically identical to the one sitting on the site where the RMOC built what is now City Hall at the bottom of the photo. There was a big one at Dow's Lake, too.
Ah, gotcha.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:02 PM

The Supreme Court is already there; it was completed in 1939ish.

But yes, to the west side of the Supreme Court square is one of the wartime "temps", now an important, nationally-significant heritage surface parking lot for all the Canadians.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The Supreme Court is already there; it was completed in 1939ish.

But yes, to the west side of the Supreme Court square is one of the wartime "temps", now an important, nationally-significant heritage surface parking lot for all the Canadians.
Not all Canadians. Just VIPs.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 4:22 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Hey guys, can someone help confirm with me something? I seem to recall seeing (perhaps even on this site) an image of a proposed rail spur in Ottawa leading to what looked like proper docks somewhere in Gloucester. Can anyone confirm this was ever a proposal?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Hey guys, can someone help confirm with me something? I seem to recall seeing (perhaps even on this site) an image of a proposed rail spur in Ottawa leading to what looked like proper docks somewhere in Gloucester. Can anyone confirm this was ever a proposal?
There was once a rail spur where the Vanier parkway is that led to docks on the Ottawa River in Lowertown

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
This would be of great interest to me. With all my knowledge of Gloucester, I cannot think of where this would have been practical. In general, in the Ottawa area, railways replaced water transport quite early. Steamer service on the Ottawa River and Rideau Canal gradually died out as more railways were built. The only thing I can remotely think of is the Ottawa-Morrisburg electric railway, which would have taken us to a ferry dock in Morrisburg although a bridge had been also proposed. The project did begin construction in Gloucester just before WWI but was never completed, sometimes regarded a project designed to attract money with no real intention to complete it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
This would be of great interest to me. With all my knowledge of Gloucester, I cannot think of where this would have been practical. In general, in the Ottawa area, railways replaced water transport quite early. Steamer service on the Ottawa River and Rideau Canal gradually died out as more railways were built. The only thing I can remotely think of is the Ottawa-Morrisburg electric railway, which would have taken us to a ferry dock in Morrisburg although a bridge had been also proposed. The project did begin construction in Gloucester just before WWI but was never completed, sometimes regarded a project designed to attract money with no real intention to complete it.
Was it Noulan Cauchon's plan for Ottawa that you are thinking of:

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2018/10/...-and-good.html

It's approximately the 8th picture down that seems to show what you are describing.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:55 PM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
CFB Rockliffe at the top there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Wow. They planted a lot of trees over the years. Usually the opposite happens, like all the trees removed from downtown.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Wow. They planted a lot of trees over the years. Usually the opposite happens, like all the trees removed from downtown.
Might just be neglect, like the forests that regrew near Ogilve and the AP.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Might just be neglect, like the forests that regrew near Ogilve and the AP.
Forest regeneration in Eastern Ontario does not take long if you don't keep fields mowed.

I see it in my own yard. Trees grow up everywhere in places that are not lawn. I need to pull out young seedlings constantly. In a way, it is interesting to see what pops up, even Hickory and Walnut.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:00 PM

Maple trees seed quite aggressively if you leave soil alone.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Maple trees seed quite aggressively if you leave soil alone.
Sugar Maple is the dominant tree in our climax forest and very shade tolerant waiting for something to come down to open up a bit of sunshine, and then boom, up the tree goes. Yes, maple seedlings are everywhere.

In the city, it can be Manitoba Maple that grows everywhere, a true weed tree. Not truly native as it cannot outgrow our climax forest species.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:16 AM

I stumbled upon something quite interesting today. It seems that in 1976, a design competition was held for the new National Art Gallery, proposed behind the National Archives Building on Wellington.

As we know, Moshe Safdie designed the current building on Nepean Point, completed in 1988.

https://www.ccc.umontreal.ca/fiche_c...cId=30&lang=en

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:29 PM

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 2:14 AM

Rue Principale in Hull was decimated by federal projects.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 5:16 AM

They're mistaken about which view the old image corresponds to. Here should be the right angle: correct view. That factor is beside the Museum of History, not at Terrasses de la Chaudiere. You can see where Promenade du Portage meets rue de l'Hotel de Ville at an angle, and College Saint-Joseph de Hull in the right of the old picture.

Could someone with Twitter let the Ville de Gatineau Twitter account know about their mistake?

Quote:

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 24, 2019 at 5:27 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Ottawa Photos