HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 10:04 AM

I n d o n e s i a - Part 1: JAVA

TO VIEW ALL MY INDONESIA THREADS

PART 2 (SULAWESI)
PART 3 (BALI)

Continuing my epic South East Asian journey through Malaysia and Singapore, Java represents the 3rd part of my series, and part 1 of 3 Indonesia threads. Part 2 will cover the island of Sulawesi, and part 3 will cover Lombok and Bali.
Java is the most populous island of Indonesia and without wishing to sound too extreme, having flown from squeaky-clean Singapore arriving in Jakarta was like a smack over the back of the head with a baseball bat…. initially. It is like the rest of Java, big, dirty, hectic, hot, crazy. However get under its skin and you find an exotic and up-beat warren of happy, smiling and very welcoming people. Actually the people is what made Java for me, always shouting “hello misterrrr” and ready to smile or chat. The rest of java is also pretty dirty, but the landscape is stunning. Picture rice terraces and volcanoes.

From Jakarta I explored the countryside of West Java before heading to the cultural central region, to Yogyakarta and Surakarta (aka Solo), and to the ancient temples of Borobudur and Prambanan. From here I went to East Java to visit the incredible and very active Bromo, before finishing in East Java’s largest city, the massive and intensely hectic Surabaya, from which I flew out to Sulawesi.

Anyway, enjoy, and wait for part 2!

Last edited by Xander202; Dec 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 12:39 PM

The world is a fascinating place. Thank you for sharing your splendid photographs.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 2:18 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

You and Okayyou have really brought the world into SSP. This is another fantastic tour/collection.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 2:52 PM

Incredible photos!!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 2:00 PM

Amazing shots - those landscapes are breathtaking.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 3:57 AM

Stunning, amazing, and just plain jaw dropping.

It's a rare thing for me to say this but definetely in the bests of the best catogory of photos I've seen on this forum.

I'm glad I decided to check it out, and part of my interest is I have a colleague who is from Indonesia so we talk about it quite a bit. The funny thing is every one I known from here looks nothing like the people in these photos. My colleague is very light skin and I think he's told me he 1/4 or 1/2 Chinese.

He did tell me because he looks Chinese (to me only somewhat) he had to fight a lot in school. He was born there but moved to the USA when he was 5, but sent back during his teenage years because his family thought he was out of control living too fast in Los Angeles. Anyway what he did say was the Chinese people was looked down upon and seen as those who had money. Because of this they would be teased, or harassed, he also mentioned many lived in gated like communities that had guards surrounding their development.

So listening to his experiences of living there, seeing some photos he's shared and a couple other Indonesians (Dutch Indo's) caught my interest. Again thank you for sharing these beautiful and interesting photos.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 5:04 PM

Great photos

You are an artistic photographer. The photos you took and shared with us are such interesting ones, which an average tourist never can get. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 4:03 PM

So many different landscapes!!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 7:11 PM
Khan

Amazing work. Thank you so much for posting it.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos