HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 11:18 PM

M a l a y s i a

This thread will be part 1 of maybe about 5 of an epic South East Asian travel through Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. Unfortunately I only made it to peninsular Malaysia (want to go to Borneo next time). Beginning in the capital, Kuala Lumpur I headed down to the colonial city of Melacca, before heading back up to KL. From here I had some much needed beach time in Pangkor before heading up to the even better colonial town than Melacca, georgetown (Penang). I loved this place and would recommend it to anybody. Following Penang I got a good second dose of beach at Langkawi before heading to the world's oldest tropical rainforest, Taman Negara.

I don't think these are the greatest photo's (expect better from Indonesia), but i hope you all enjoy.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 11:31 PM

Wow, such an exotic looking city. Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see the rest! Love the b&w of the child looking at you.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 12:28 AM

Awesome, brilliant, beautiful, professional looking thread, 5 stars! Epic.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:10 AM

Holymotherfusdfj9wiroeiroweir4498030948530kwjdflsdfskljdflksjdf shit.

This thread was amazing!!! Your pictures left me breathless...I can't wait to be back in SE Asia in 6 weeks - it is truly my most favorite area of the world and this thread reminds me of that once again.

I've heard mixed reviews on Malaysia; that it is sterile and lacks a specific culture. Is this true in comparison to surrounding countries? These photos don't show that, that's for sure.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:27 AM
It could be worse!

Fantastic photos! Can't wait for the rest of the tour!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:36 AM

Great photos! This is such an epic thread, a truly fascinating and dynamic country. Thanks for the images of daily life that usually don't get much exposure.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 7:51 AM

Fantastic photos! reat portrait of a country.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:17 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

Malaysia: truly Asia (pardon pun).

It's an absolute cracker for diversity. I've only ever been to Johor Bahru, and I too hope to do Peninsula Malaysia as well as Borneo one day... phuck, it's practically next door, should do it sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:18 PM

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I've heard mixed reviews on Malaysia; that it is sterile and lacks a specific culture. Is this true in comparison to surrounding countries? These photos don't show that, that's for sure.
I hate to say it, but to be honest there is some truth in that. My personal favorite South East Asian countries are Cambodia, Indonesia and Laos. I have never been to the Philippines though, but I think I would love it. But Malaysia is ONLY lacking if you are comparing to other South East Asian countries. Having travelled all over the region, Malaysia is certainly the country that seems to lack a specific culture as you say. However that is not necessarily a bad thing. What makes Malaysia interesting is the multiculturalism. There is an effortless blend of the ethnic muslim Malays, Indians and Chinese, all with a healthy dose of colonial Britishness. I dont think there are many other places on earth where you can so effortlessly see the 2 great Asian cultures (India and China) side by side. In Malaysia there are Hindu temples in chinatown, chinese temples in Little India, it is quite amazing.
Also the food in Malaysia is great!
The fact that it is strict Muslim makes it less wild than other places, which can be a good or bad thing. Certainly if you enjoy wild partying then Malaysia is no Thailand thats for sure.

So I would say, whilst still a great place, I preferred other South East Asian countries, and if you have never been to Asia you will probably be mindblown. That said, there is certainly something to be enjoyed in Malaysia for everyone.

If you go, make sure you visit Penang, I loved it. Also, I haven't been but the Eastern half of Malaysia on Borneo is supposed to be pretty amazing.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:40 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

My God. This was incredible.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:15 PM
3rd Coast King

Great tour.

love this....

My Book

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:21 PM

Diskojoe, that guy (and all the others around it) were a tribe of indigenous people's living in the middle of the world's oldest tropical rainforest. They live off the land and river until they have exhausted the place, then move on, like nomads. It was raining heavily that day which really ruined the opportunities for photography. Also I felt that there was something almost voyeuristic about pointing cameras at them so I became limited to sheltering under a banana leaf roof, shooting through the rain whenever I could. Interesting experience, but under different conditions I certainly could have got better shots.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:43 PM
3rd Coast King

Really i just loved that he was rockin a slayer shirt. and no big deal if a few shots are a little soft. we still get the essence of the scene and these people.

I see you really took advantage of all malaysia has to offer too. We got to see it from all sides here. very cool. I would love to travel through Asia one day.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post

Really i just loved that he was rockin a slayer shirt.
haha, well then the fact that this kid had probably never left the jungle or gone to civilisation in his life makes the fact he is wearing a slayer shirt even funnier.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander202 View Post
I have never been to the Philippines though, but I think I would love it.
I went to the Philippines for 2.5 weeks in July of 2008, and it was a really wonderful country. What really makes the country special is the people - they are the friendliest, most relatable and open people I've encountered in Asia. Everywhere you go you meet a new friend, people are randomly singing aloud in supermarkets (Whitney Houston and Celine were the most commonly heard on my trip) or finding some reason to celebrate in the streets. What makes them relatable though, is that nearly everyone is to some degree fluent in English, which allows for easy communication. In addition, the island of Palawan which is perhaps my most favorite place in the whole world, has the most unspoiled and pure beaches I've ever seen. The Philippines has an extremely underdeveloped tourist industry, in fact almost none at all with the exception of Borocay.

Bad elements though are that the food is pretty terrible (and there is a sore lack of street food, or Filipino restaurants - just American chains and junk food), it's more dangerous than the other SE Asian countries, and it's clearly much poorer than say Thailand/Malaysia etc., which really surprised me. And the Catholic element provides a stark contrast from the serene Buddhist/Hindu vibes one finds in other SE Asian Countries. If anything, The Philippines seems to have more in common with Mexico culturally than it does Asia.

Anyway, don't mean to stray off topic, but definitely visit the Philippines!

PS - what is Malay food like? I've had food in Singapore, is it the same?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 5:04 PM

I would love to go to the Philippines. i think it is maybe quite similar to Indonesia maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
PS - what is Malay food like? I've had food in Singapore, is it the same?
Yeah pretty much the same. Singapore used to be part of Malaysia so it makes since.

Georgetown, Penang is THE best place to eat in Malaysia. better than Singapore even.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:02 PM

Wow, that was great. Nice mix of rich, poor, and everything inbetween. Some really great compositions throughout. I loved that one of the full person sized poster.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:37 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander202 View Post
haha, well then the fact that this kid had probably never left the jungle or gone to civilisation in his life makes the fact he is wearing a slayer shirt even funnier.
it would be even cooler if he was a slayer fan.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 8:44 PM

Your pictures are nothing short of epic. Lovely thread. I look forward to others to come. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2011, 3:32 AM

keep up these photo threads

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos