HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:24 PM

Hyperbole much? They seem to spend plenty of time and money fixing the roads here, if I was to speculate the weather is more of a factor in claimed poor road conditions, not that I really see much evidence of them being worse than elsewhere. Some newly built roads do seem to take a few years of work before the bumps get settled out, which might be avoidable with different construction methods but I imagine a cost analysis has been made.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:28 PM
HVAC guru

^ Roads in BC are generally in far better condition than in Alberta

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Once AB got serious about Highway 63 to Fort Mac they started awarding contracts for long segments. No reason why B.C. and the feds couldn't do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Blah blah. How many times we gotta hear that excuse. Doesn't stop the rest of the world with similar geography to build freeways that make BC's look like goat's trails.
Name an example of other countries that have upgraded roads carrying similar volumes to the fairly light amount carried by the TCH, in similarly tough terrain. I doubt there is much.

I do agree that more money should be spent upgrading highway 1, but comparing it to the 63 is unfair also. The 63 is the main artery to the economic engine of Alberta, carrying large numbers of enormous peices of equipment. Keeping it as an undivided highway was not an option. Even still though, there still isn't divided highway all the way from Edmonton to fort Mac.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ roads in bc are generally in far better condition than in alberta
OK. Do you have any evidence of numbers on maintenance costs?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 3:35 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
OK. Do you have any evidence of numbers on maintenance costs?
Nope. But I'm sure if you were so inclined you could dig up some data.

But I do know that I drive thousands of km's in BC every year on major highways from the Kootenays to the Okanagan to the Cariboo. Notwithstanding the lack of divided highways, the roads and road infrastructure in general are in much better shape in BC.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 4:04 PM

I can't look it up right now, but just saying there could be many other factors than just 'alberta doesn't like taxes hence the roads are bad'. I've driven plenty too, while I wouldn't say the roads here are A+, they're not awful either especially given the harsh conditions and huge amount of roadway.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 4:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.thegoldenstar.net/news/k...sures-in-2020/

Oh yea don't forget... TCH to be possibly closed between West Portal and Parks Bridge next spring. Detour via 93 then 95 (and vice versa). Since 93 can get dangerous in the parks, stay safe.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 6:03 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.thegoldenstar.net/news/k...sures-in-2020/

Oh yea don't forget... TCH to be possibly closed between West Portal and Parks Bridge next spring. Detour via 93 then 95 (and vice versa). Since 93 can get dangerous in the parks, stay safe.
That'll be a bloody nightmare. 93 is bad enough as it is, I can only imagine if all the TCH traffic is routed through there.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 6:59 PM
Near Generational

Quote:

But I do know that I drive thousands of km's in BC every year on major highways from the Kootenays to the Okanagan to the Cariboo. Notwithstanding the lack of divided highways, the roads and road infrastructure in general are in much better shape in BC.
HWY 3 from the border to Sparwood was a frickin worn out goat trail until they fixed it a few years back.

BC is more recently through an investment cycle, particularly in the areas you mentioned, nothing more nothing less.

AB has been pouring money into the highway to Ft Mac and the ring roads. That's behind us. TCH and 16 will be next.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
HWY 3 from the border to Sparwood was a frickin worn out goat trail until they fixed it a few years back.

BC is more recently through an investment cycle, particularly in the areas you mentioned, nothing more nothing less.

AB has been pouring money into the highway to Ft Mac and the ring roads. That's behind us. TCH and 16 will be next.
Lets get that last section of 16 done to JNP gates at least.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
^ Roads in BC are generally in far better condition than in Alberta
LOL! You used this claim once before when attempting to defend the pathetic state of roads in B.C.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 10:41 PM
HVAC guru

it’s the truth though

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 12:33 AM

Roads in Quebec are the worst I’ve ever driven. Especially between Montreal and Sorel.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 12:40 AM

Try driving a secondary highway in Saskatchewan if you really want to see what bad highways look like.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Roads in Quebec are the worst I’ve ever driven. Especially between Montreal and Sorel.
Stats Canada started compiling info on national infrastructure in 2016 by asking provinces, municipalities, etc. to provide info on their roads, etc. The percentage of Quebec roads rated as "very poor" or "poor" is easily the worst in the nation. I believe the percentage is twice as high as the national average. Quebec blames it on 30+ years of corruption where they paid way too much for contracts b/c of kickbacks, bribes, etc. New Brunswick also rated their roads as being very bad.

What's most interesting is that Ontario and Alberta account for nearly 50% of the nations roads which make up about 25% of the nation's road network.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 6:11 AM

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Name an example of other countries that have upgraded roads carrying similar volumes to the fairly light amount carried by the TCH, in similarly tough terrain. I doubt there is much.

I do agree that more money should be spent upgrading highway 1, but comparing it to the 63 is unfair also. The 63 is the main artery to the economic engine of Alberta, carrying large numbers of enormous peices of equipment. Keeping it as an undivided highway was not an option. Even still though, there still isn't divided highway all the way from Edmonton to fort Mac.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNqcNH7ez4k

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 3:58 PM

And how do traffic volumes on that section of the I-70 compare to the TCH?

I don't disagree that we should invest money in the TCH, but the claims people make that every other country would have built a freeway through the mountains are not backed up with any empirical evidence. Primarily because there are few good comparisons.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 4:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If anything, US might be the only reasonable (not necessary good) comparison simply because everywhere else that has freeways by or through mountains also has tax rates that are ridiculously high by North American standard.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 4:24 PM

It's more population density than taxes I would think. Imagine if Canada fewer road kms with the same budget, our roads would be better.

I was just looking at the E25 north of Genoa. Looks like an epic road, and it almost looks alien, like can you imagine a Canadian government ever commiting to build all that at once? But the return on investment there per vehicle km is probably much higher.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia