HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 2:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by reencharles View Post
Every time I come to this topic, the height of this building decreases. Nearly 50 meters of height reduction. Unfortunate...
Maybe you should go back to an earlier point, when the height was increasing. Maybe that will help offset any feelings of loss. Probably why most don't feel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
1,227ft is still an incredible height for an office building of all things.
As I said earlier, outside of New York City, there is only one tower in the entire western hemisphere with a higher roof height, and that's the Sears in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Can someone dig up a "before" look of the base along 11th pretty much from that same angle? I remember it looked cold and uninviting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm pissed of at the height reduction, but this building looks spectacular at street level.

The changes as street level are what's making me really like this building as opposed to just liking it. I remember someone at KPF saying they didn't really know how the 10th Ave side would transition, but they've done an excellent job so far.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 7:25 PM

For now least, across the street on 10th isn't very attractive. It's ugly actually. Let's see what Brookfield does with it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
For now least, across the street on 10th isn't very attractive. It's ugly actually. Let's see what Brookfield does with it.
Brookfield just has to redevelop that property, eventually. You aren't going to have the dumpiest office building in the city across from the best office complex in the city, especially when you have tons of capital, demand, and air rights.

You could build a 3.1 million square foot tower on that Brookfield site.

Also, my guess is that the USPS complex to the south eventually is sold and redeveloped. It no longer makes sense to have these sorts of functions in such a district, especially with the USPS struggling and desperate for cash. They're sitting on a goldmine, and can relocate activities to Jersey or the Bronx or somewhere nearby.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 6:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Also, my guess is that the USPS complex to the south eventually is sold and redeveloped. It no longer makes sense to have these sorts of functions in such a district, especially with the USPS struggling and desperate for cash. They're sitting on a goldmine, and can relocate activities to Jersey or the Bronx or somewhere nearby.
Don't count on that closing anytime soon, or in the future really. That's one of the large facilities that can absorb smaller operations. (They were planning to ship operations from the Bronx there, but politicians from the Bronx stepped in), one concern among them the extra truck traffic. You won't see anything going to Jersey for at least that reason. And a lot of people don't know this, but they were considering adding 2 floors on to that building during the Penn Station redevelopment planning.

If Brookfield develops anything at 450, that would be years off.

Meanwhile, the opening of the 7 extension this year changes the game for everybody...

http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/th...new-no7-subway

Quote:
Hudson Yards, an area isolated for decades by a massive, open rail yard, is transforming into one of the city's most convenient neighborhoods with the historic introduction of new mass transit into the neighborhood. The centerpiece is the extension of the No. 7 Subway from its current terminus at Times Square to a new station between 10th and 11th avenues at West 34th Street.

Visitors can access 30 Hudson Yards at Hudson Yards directly from the No. 7 Subway station. With this new subway station at the front door of Hudson Yards, the new No. 7 Subway will link the neighborhood to the 8th Avenue, 7th Avenue, 6th Avenue and Lexington Avenue subway lines.

Service on the new No. 7 Subway will begin in 2014—more than a year before the first building at Hudson Yards opens.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Good company...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 3:42 AM

That is the collage made in heaven.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 1:03 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Skyscraper heaven.

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...st-side-story/

Stephen Ross’ West Side Story

By Gus Delaporte
1/28/14

Quote:
The deal bringing Time Warner to Hudson Yards had been rumored for some time. Can you describe the process of bringing the company to the Far West Side?

Obviously, we know the company pretty well having built its last headquarters. We moved them from Rockefeller Center to Columbus Circle, but this time, they had a [request for proposal] and consultants, and we had to be patient enough to go through what was a long process in understanding their needs, where they wanted to be and what would best suit the company.

Was there ever a moment when it looked like it wouldn’t happen?

I think in any process of this size that you go through, there’s competition, and you never underestimate the competition. We’re very competitive, but we felt this would be the best place for them. And because they were selling their space, we thought it made a lot of sense to buy it and dovetail the occupancy dates to work together. We have a lot of faith in the Time Warner Center, and we were very happy to purchase back their space. They made a great deal when we sold it to them originally.

This is the second time you’ve done a significant deal with Time Warner, which is a rare double feat. Can you speak to that relationship?

We were dealing with totally different people this time. We dealt with [then Chief Executive Officer] Dick Parsons the first time, and this time it was a different administration. They look at life differently, but both had a lot of foresight. Dick saw that Time Warner was just one tenant at Rockefeller Center and they could showcase their company by being in Columbus Circle and getting in on the ground floor.

[Time Warner Chief Executive and Chairman] Jeff Bewkes saw that business has changed, how businesses operate, how businesses use space and how companies relate to each other. He had the foresight to look ahead and see where trends are today and realized it would be much cheaper to relocate rather than redevelop their offices.
He also saw our vision and the ability to attract the young tech demographic as opposed to the old existing way of doing business. His charge is keeping them in the forefront.

What is the significance of securing Time Warner in terms of the broader development process?

Right now, we have under construction and will open next year the first building with Coach, L’Oreal and SAP. Construction is well underway, and the building will open next year.

We always believed we would start this year with 30 Hudson Yards, and we were speaking with a number of potential tenants, but once it became clear that Time Warner was moving ahead, we focused on that. Doing that deal allows us to do the entire eastern yards and move forward with the retail component, the cultural center and our residential developments.

You’ve secured a number of high-profile office tenants for the Hudson Yards development. Do you feel a sense of accomplishment or even vindication?

I always believed what I was saying, and I believed that we were able to communicate our vision of where the city was going. With these tenants signing on and the mixed-use nature of the project, the project has expanded. We have another residential building under construction, and we hope to start 55 Hudson Yards, which is another 1.35-million-square-foot building. We are negotiating with several tenants for that.

People will wake up and see the city has made a dramatic movement to the west. It will be a new city within New York City. There is a shifting of gravity in terms of where the center is. Chelsea has been the area of choice for young people—it’s where we get the highest rents for our residential buildings today—and by connecting to the High Line, there will be an expansion of that.

Related has partnered with the sovereign wealth funds of Abu Dhabi and Singapore to acquire the office space at the Time Warner Center. Since sovereign wealth funds have shown an increased appetite for U.S. property deals, was that a sector of the market you targeted to help close the deal?

We’ve been in the Middle East and around the world talking to funds. We have to look at sourcing equity on a global basis, and I think people today are attracted to that because of our reputation and the projects we are developing. We’ve done business with sovereign wealth funds in the past and will continue to do so.

For the first time since you built the Time Warner Center, space will be made available to outside tenants. The Columbus Circle area has been transformed since the building came online in 2004. Can you describe what the opportunity there will be for potential tenants?

This building is the next great landmark that has been built in the city. It holds its own with any building in New York. We think it’s a great building for corporations or service firms to occupy in a preeminent location. Not everyone will go downtown, so it’s about satisfying the tastes of different people. The space here in the building will be the equivalent to a new building. It has never been open to tenants and has never really been on the market. There is every redundancy and amenity that you would find in a new building.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:24 PM

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 2:55 AM

Now.

In a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 3:01 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Too bad Verre got a hair cut (1250 in this pic, right?) .....

©Hudson Yards New York on Facebook

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Feb 8, 2014 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
Too bad Verre got a hair cut (1250 in this pic, right?) .....

©Hudson Yards New York on Facebook
Yet another NYC tower that didn't get to live up to it's potential. Meanwhile, that pic is wonderful. I can't wait until this view is real.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

We are lucky that 111 W. 57th will pick up where the Tower Verre left off, and then some.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
We are lucky that 111 W. 57th will pick up where the Tower Verre left off, and then some.

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/154431375/original.jpg
Do you think 111 W. 57th will surely get built? I try to temper my excitement for that one because I don't want to be let down.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 9, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
Do you think 111 W. 57th will surely get built? I try to temper my excitement for that one because I don't want to be let down.
I'm sure it will get built, it seems like the demand is there. Just not really sure it will be done by 2016. Probably more like 2017.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 10:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
Then just wait for it. I see no reason why it wouldn't be built. The smaller version was supposed to be under construction already, and would have been had they stayed course. Currently, Steinway Hall is the focus of activity and filing for excavation is also underway.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:54 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.fastcompany.com/3025550/h...a-digital-city

How Huge NYC Development Hudson Yards Is Solving Its Infrastructure Issues
New York's Hudson Yards will shoot garbage through tubes and stay lit in a blackout. How does it all work?

By Skylar Bergl

Quote:
When the first of its 17 buildings opens in 2015, Hudson Yards--a $20 billion office, retail, and residential complex on Manhattan’s West Side--will feature an impressively complex infrastructure. Here’s a look at some of the issues involved in designing and implementing the 18-million-square-foot development’s technical underpinnings.

1. Challenge:
The mini city will create tons of trash.

Solution:

To streamline disposal, Hudson Yards will use a special vacuum system. Waste will travel at 43 mph through 1.5 miles of underground tubing to a central terminal. "We're not putting garbage on the sidewalk like usual," says Jay Cross, president of Hudson Yards' lead developer, Related Companies. "This is cleaner, and we're doing it on a very large scale."

2. Challenge:
Cellular antennas in packed areas often get overloaded. Hudson Yards expects 40,000 daily occupants and shoppers.

Solution:

Every building will include a platform-agnostic distributed antenna system. Whether you're on AT&T, Verizon, or another carrier, the signal will be strong. "You'll never be disconnected," Cross says. "It's the closest you can be to a central telecom office."

3. Challenge:
Plugged-in residents expect a sophisticated digital experience.

Solution:

Owners can manage their apartments' utilities via smartphone, of course. And using voluntary, anonymous data and thousands of sensors, Hudson Yards will measure everything from shopping habits to energy use. That data will help improve things such as air quality, noise levels, and energy performance throughout the site.

4. Challenge:
Heating systems for big buildings typically waste lots of energy.

Solution:

Hudson Yards' natural-gas-powered cogeneration (CoGen) system produces heat and electricity at the same time, a far more efficient approach. And integrated thermal-recovery loops capture excess energy for hot water and other uses.

5. Challenge:
The complex would be devastated by a Hurricane Sandy–style blackout.

Solution:

The 13.2-megawatt-capacity CoGen system enables Hudson Yards to function entirely off the electrical grid. "If [power] goes down, we can become a refuge for others," Cross says.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 1:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:

1. Challenge:
The mini city will create tons of trash.

Solution:

To streamline disposal, Hudson Yards will use a special vacuum system. Waste will travel at 43 mph through 1.5 miles of underground tubing to a central terminal. "We're not putting garbage on the sidewalk like usual," says Jay Cross, president of Hudson Yards' lead developer, Related Companies. "This is cleaner, and we're doing it on a very large scale."

By Skylar Bergl
As a frequent visitor to NYC, the curbside trash system is one of my very few peeves of the city. While I love the density you get in a city without alleys, it's really nice when trash remains out of sight and out of smell. This innovation is impressive.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:30 PM

Quote:

How Huge NYC Development Hudson Yards Is Solving Its Infrastructure Issues
New York's Hudson Yards will shoot garbage through tubes and stay lit in a blackout. How does it all work?

By Skylar Bergl
Wow all awesome. Stoked about the pneumatic garbage system. These kinds of progressive bonus features are going to set the area apart and make it highly desirable.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:59 PM
BANNED

A great way to collect garbage from office buildings but why worry about the western yard residential side? It will be a bunch of 2/3/4th homes i,e. few people will actually live there..

Last edited by Perklol; Feb 11, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive