HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 8:57 AM

MAKKAH | The Sacred Mosque Largest Expansion

Saudi Arabia / Makkah

The Sacred Mosque Largest Expansion

Makkah in 1850

Makkah in 1910

Wiki: Al-Masjid al-Ḥarām (Arabic: المسجد الحرام‎, pronounced [ʔælˈmæsdʒɪd ælħɑˈrɑːm], "The Sacred Mosque") is the largest mosque in the world. Located in the city of Mecca, it surrounds the Kaaba, the place which Muslims worldwide turn towards while offering daily prayers and is Islam's holiest place. The mosque is also known as the Grand Mosque.

It's formal name, Makkat il-Mukarrama results from the conversion of the last letter of Mecca, the ta marbuta (ة), into a ta (ت) in the idoffa format.

Every year, millions of Muslims (3.7 million this year) perform the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca walking seven times around the Kaaba and more than 13 million people visit Mecca annually.

the new expansion of the Grand Mosque, currently under way as the largest and the largest in the history of expansions since its inception in the reign of the Caliph Omar Bin Al Khattab may God be pleased with him.

[COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"]Current Expantion[/COLOR]

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...9_409207_n.jpg

OLD RENDERS:

OLD RENDERS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibib View Post
Thanks again asyqulhuur

I will update it with more pictures, info and renders later today.

Last edited by GulfArabia; Dec 15, 2010 at 6:58 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 11:49 AM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
Great thread gulf arabia thanks alot for the info and digging up those very old pictures

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 2:46 AM
The way to really fly

Boooo!!!!!!

~Nowhereman1280

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 3:33 PM

Mecca development promises pilgrims better hajj

This aerial image made from a helicopter taken on Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010, shows Muslim pilgrims moving around the Kaaba, the black cube seen at center, inside the Grand Mosque, during the annual Hajj in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The skyscrapers, sporting towering glass facades and luxury shopping malls with international brands, have sprouted up in recent years around the esplanade in front of the sprawling, multi-level Haram Mosque. The mosque surrounds the Kaaba, the cube-shaped shrine that Muslims around the world face during prayers and pilgrims circle seven times during the hajj rites.

These aerials images made from a helicopter taken on Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010, shows Muslim pilgrims moving around the Kaaba, the black cube seen at center, inside the Grand Mosque, during the annual Hajj in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The skyscrapers, sporting towering glass facades and luxury shopping malls with international brands, have sprouted up in recent years around the esplanade in front of the sprawling, multi-level Haram Mosque. The mosque surrounds the Kaaba, the cube-shaped shrine that Muslims around the world face during prayers and pilgrims circle seven times during the hajj rites.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ae01465e2de1cf
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...tter-hajj.html

Last edited by GulfArabia; Dec 15, 2010 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 5:39 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29070131@N02/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukaya19 View Post
Great Pics from brother 'asyiqul^huur

1st Muharram 1432 ~ 7th Dec 2010

Old Posted Dec 14, 2010, 8:10 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
Great finds there Gulf Arabia that build site is huge. give it a few years and the core of Makkah will be looking as good as the older parts of the Sacred mosque does now.

And i also hope that all of this expansion wont totally destroy the soul and ancient role of Makkah as a place of worship for the muslims.

As mentioned in the article above it seems that many are trying to drain more money from the pilgrims than is necessary and fair. And i dont think glitzy and flashy buildings and big malls with alot of advertisement and such has any place in this city. But dont get me wrong towers like the Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel is absolutely necessary because of the enormous amount of pilgrims. But i think most buildings should keep the style of the clock tower and dont go more glitzly and bling bling than that.

And in the long run i fear it might go like it has unfortunately gone with other cultures where very important moments has turned into just a money maker and the real reason and meaning is long gone. But with some good thinking and control from the Saudi Arabian royal family this wont happen.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 6:44 AM

i'v been there, and i'm glad change is coming, the place looked very poor, the only ppl complaining are the "shia" they worship graveyards and they take blessings from stones and places "rituals" which are against the authentic islamic teachings. hajj was expensive this year because of the thousands of hotels demolished, they will be replaced with better ones in this and next year which will lower the prices. the city will never loose its soul role, as u can see in the old pictures it changes every decade. the only major "old building" they removed is a 100 year-old sand castle.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 6:47 AM

Jabal Omar Project: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=300295

more updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'asyiqul^huur View Post

13 Dec 2010

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 8:14 PM
Metal Up Your !

When is the entire supposed to be finished?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 2:28 AM

Mecca Holy Mosque expansion

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 5:07 AM

Are there rules/guidelines in terms of what can be done to the holy site itself in terms of expansion? I have seen articles on how much it is grown in the last decade or so (more capacity, security, etc.) - but at the end of the day, will everyone be able to complete the defined rituals?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 8:25 PM

as long as we can circle the ka'ba and walk in the safa and marwah , there is no problem:

it takes a long hard study and research from muslim scholars around the world (mostly in saudi and egypt) for an expansion to get approved, it brings nothing new, it just makes it easy and bigger.

1) around the kaahba 7 time.

2) walk up and down the safa and marwa 7 times.

3) and praying is no problem, we can do it any where. but in this mosque it would be great to be able to see the kaaba (its not necessary to see it, we just pray towards it)

4) under the kaaba there is a water source (zam zam water) you can access it thru the basement... that won't be a problem, it will needs expantion

it just needs smart architecture to keep/serve 4 million (soon to be 10 million) pilgrims happy and SAFE.

the black cube is just a direction, it doesn't have super powers..., it was demolished more than once:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 7:43 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 8:41 PM

I'm going to shut this thread down unless you can properly credit these image sources. . . please let me know if you need direction on what this entails. . . thanks. . .

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 6:16 PM
No pets allowed

Read me:

Please make sure that any photos you post in this thread are properly credited like this:

1 - Include the photographer's name/screen name.

2 - Include a link to the page where you found the photos. An image link is NOT enough. You must post a link to the actual page where the photo is located.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development