HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 8:08 PM
andydie's Avatar
andydie andydie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hannover, Germany
Posts: 587
Smile

this is some great news, i might be able to finish my Video Series for this building after all, tho it will come out different than we thought. Still its great that this eyesore finally gets out of Chicagos Riverfront. It was pretty noticeable in Transformers 3´s end battle. I always thought why couldnt they use some CGI on that one, lol
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 11:14 PM
Onn Onn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,937
So 65 stories. How tall are we potentially talking, based on the 25 stories which are already there?
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:41 AM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,936
Here's the official press release.

They're really hyping this project up, so we better not end up with another SCB box.

http://www.related.com/ourcompany/pr...NTAL-BUILDING/

RELATED COMPANIES ENTERS INTO JOINT VENTURE ON 111 WEST WACKER DRIVE, FIRM TO REDEVELOP PROPERTY AS LUXURY RENTAL BUILDING
7/27/2011


Related Companies today announced that it has entered into a joint venture agreement with Clark Wacker LLC on a development site at 111 West Wacker Drive in Chicago, Illinois. Related plans to redevelop the property as an approximately 500-unit luxury rental complex that will include on-site parking. Clark Wacker LLC will retain a participation in the deal structure. The joint venture formation is part of Related’s fund management platform which seeks to unlock value by utilizing the firm’s vast real estate expertise.

Curt Bailey, President of Related Midwest said, “111 West Wacker Drive is a tremendous development opportunity and a perfect fit for Related, drawing on our decades of experience building some of the nation’s finest rental and condominium complexes. Chicago’s rental market is strong and demonstrating healthy rent growth. 111 West Wacker Drive offers an ideal location for best-in-class rental product.”

Sean McMahon from Clark Wacker LLC said, “We are thrilled to partner with Related Companies and create a statement rental development. We have always believed in the great potential of this site and the formation of this joint venture with such a prestigious estate organization with a track-record of successful residential developments will only further ensure the project’s success.”

Justin Metz, Managing Principal of Related Companies said, “111 West Wacker Drive is a perfect fit for our expertise in, and focus on, execution projects. We look forward to developing a marquee building for this important location, bringing new resources to the development and maximizing value for our partners and investors."

111 West Wacker Drive is located on the Chicago River at a signature crossroads that bridges the north end of the Loop business and financial district and is directly across from the vibrant river north cultural and lifestyle district. Construction is projected to begin in the first quarter of 2012.
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:20 AM
Alliance's Avatar
Alliance Alliance is offline
NEW YORK | CHICAGO
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
They're really hyping this project up, so we better not end up with another SCB box.
Maybe its just the cynic in me, but I totally can see this happening. Too many proposals being beaten to death with hype only do deliver mediocre or sub-par results. Especially with Related's current portfolio....

We could do worse than SCB, but I hope the decrease in height will be off-set with an increase in design.
__________________
My: Skyscraper Art - Diagrams - Diagram Thread
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:54 AM
Rizzo Rizzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post

We could do worse than SCB, but I hope the decrease in height will be off-set with an increase in design.
Unlikely. I see glass box and maybe some silver applied fins to add "pizzazz." I can only hope I'm wrong. It can be more forgiving when a mediocre tower is buried deep within the loop, but to be visually front and center there is much higher expectations. This is a really big opportunity to have some architectural impact, hope they don't mess it up.
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:03 PM
george's Avatar
george george is offline
dream fast
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east village, chicago
Posts: 3,289
At 65 stories, this is what the old Waterview design would look like (give or take a few floors) compared to the original proposed height. Of course, the design will change.



Rendering from post #1 @ http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=303473
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:05 PM
nergie nergie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
At 65 stories, this is what the old Waterview design would look like (give or take a few floors) compared to the original proposed height. Of course, the design will change.

Still like the design even if it is a bit squat
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:23 PM
Nowhereman1280 Nowhereman1280 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pungent Onion, Illinois
Posts: 8,492
I'm not concerned that we'll be getting a shoddy design here especially the way things have been going design wise lately in Chicago. Last time SCB and Related teamed up we got 340 OTP which is one of the best buildings of the boom. Related is a tight development team that generally aspires to excellence. The only real turd they've produced here was 60 West Erie (which is pretty bad), but I'll give them a pass as it was one of their first projects here.

I would be thrilled if SCB came up with some sort of funky 340 OTP like, hyper modern, design. I really like the "high tech" look of 340 and think that's just the kind of zap that's missing on this stretch of the canyon. It would only increase the amazing variety of architecture that the river tours see already.
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:24 PM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
tilted & shifted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
This is a really big opportunity to have some architectural impact, hope they don't mess it up.
Yeah, they better not Block 37 this site. It's far too prominent for an underwhelming building.
__________________
flickr
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:34 PM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,088
any guesses what height range were looking at here?... perhaps 700ft plus?
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:44 PM
meh_cd meh_cd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 571
I'd be more than happy with the squat version of the original design.
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:46 PM
Nowhereman1280 Nowhereman1280 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pungent Onion, Illinois
Posts: 8,492
It will probably be about 700. Hope it breaks into the mid to upper 700's though because it would seperate it visually from what's there already, though a 700 foot wall of buildings is pretty impressive.
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 9:05 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I'm not concerned that we'll be getting a shoddy design here especially the way things have been going design wise lately in Chicago. Last time SCB and Related teamed up we got 340 OTP which is one of the best buildings of the boom. Related is a tight development team that generally aspires to excellence. The only real turd they've produced here was 60 West Erie (which is pretty bad), but I'll give them a pass as it was one of their first projects here.

I would be thrilled if SCB came up with some sort of funky 340 OTP like, hyper modern, design. I really like the "high tech" look of 340 and think that's just the kind of zap that's missing on this stretch of the canyon. It would only increase the amazing variety of architecture that the river tours see already.
Don't forget they also teamed up for the Streeterville site on Pesthigo. I'm somewhat underwhelmed by that project.

This is what I'm wondering, are we talking 65 additional floors aor 65 total floors because this hasn't been stated yet?

These are going to be 'luxury' units. We aren't talking about a ton of studios and remember how small this site is.

Not only that, the hotel floors are already built and there are many voids and vaulted spaces as they didn't want a lot of the hotel rooms to face the alley and face the Transportation Building. It's not clear if the currently built hotel space will be converted or remain hotel.

These units I think will be built and have the appointments so that it can be converted to condo at a later date.
__________________
titanic1

Last edited by BVictor1; Jul 30, 2011 at 9:25 PM.
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 9:46 PM
RobertWalpole RobertWalpole is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,911
I'm guessing 650 feet.
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 10:40 PM
Rail>Auto's Avatar
Rail>Auto Rail>Auto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 499
I'm pulling for the original design no matter what height is finally selected.
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 12:29 AM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Don't forget they also teamed up for the Streeterville site on Pesthigo. I'm somewhat underwhelmed by that project.

This is what I'm wondering, are we talking 65 additional floors aor 65 total floors because this hasn't been stated yet?

These are going to be 'luxury' units. We aren't talking about a ton of studios and remember how small this site is.

Not only that, the hotel floors are already built and there are many voids and vaulted spaces as they didn't want a lot of the hotel rooms to face the alley and face the Transportation Building. It's not clear if the currently built hotel space will be converted or remain hotel.

These units I think will be built and have the appointments so that it can be converted to condo at a later date.
well if it was 65 stories on top was curretnly there it would be a 90 story building..i wish it was still in the plan but it think its a pretty safe based on the articles to assume the total height will be 65 stories (25 stories currently there plus 40 stories built on top)...hoping that the "ultra luxury" units will result in higher floor to ceiling heights..givies up a building in the mid 700 ft range.
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 3:34 PM
chi-arch chi-arch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 266
I thought the development team(Teng) was completely out of this thing. I see the same players here with the Clark Wacker, LLC. firm. I think there is a pretty high probability that we will end up with the squat version of the original design based on that alone.
__________________
Never argue with idiots - first they drag you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 7:13 PM
patriotizzy's Avatar
patriotizzy patriotizzy is offline
Metal Up Your !
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,585
So would the redesign be the tall one or the short one?
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 7:49 PM
Rizzo Rizzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,918
^ The short one
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 8:09 PM
Alliance's Avatar
Alliance Alliance is offline
NEW YORK | CHICAGO
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
So would the redesign be the tall one or the short one?
Its not even a redesign. Its a mock-up of what the building would look like if they completed using the original massing and cladding. They' haven't told us what their actual plan is.
__________________
My: Skyscraper Art - Diagrams - Diagram Thread
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:10 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.