HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:41 PM
The Man

Santa Fe, the Rail Runner, and the Isotopes.

Photothread

Hey, I went up to Santa Fe a couple days ago and thought I’d share some of my pictures of the city. I skipped most of the big tourist spots this time since it was a quick trip, but I got a bunch of pictures of the cathedral and around the plaza. I also got some pictures of the rail runner and a couple pictures of the Isotope’s stadium before the rain cancelled the game.

The Santa Fe cathedral

Inside the cathedral

Looking out towards the plaza from the front of the cathedral.

There are a bunch of plaques like this on buildings around the plaza. There are quite a few newer buildings too, but building codes require them to blend in with the older buildings.

One of the best parts of Santa Fe is the public art on almost every corner.

Coming up on the plaza.

The Santa Fe plaza

Selling jewelry in front of the Palace of the Governors. Never accept their first offer, and if you have the time to spend, go to Gallup where most of this stuff gets made and you can buy the same jewelry for a fraction of the price... of course the tradeoff is that Gallup is in the middle of no where and there is absolutely nothing to see or do there except buy jewelry.

Stagecoach advertising some sort of western adventures tour.

The Santa Fe Palace of the Governors was built between 1610 and 1612 and is the oldest public building in the US.

Looking at the plaza from the front of the Palace fo the Governors

Looking back at the Palace of the Governors. It’ very imposing looking for the title “palace” isn’t it?

The monument in the middle of the Santa Fe plaza

The plaques on the 4 sides of the monument.

A plaque in front of the monument.

The guy with the guitar was actually pretty good

The historic La Fonda hotel on the southeast corner of the plaza.

The south side of the plaza looking west.

Walking away from the plaza looking west at the Jemez.

Looking back at the plaza and cathedral.

The New Mexico capitol.

The raging Santa Fe river after a rain storm.

Looking across the park down at the river.

Qhen you go to Santa Fe be sure to go to the Zia Diner for breakfast (it’s about 100 yards north of the Rail Runner station). Their lunch and dinner are great, but the breakfast is life changing. Eggs Benedict over a platter of potatoes and all smothered in hollandaise sauce and red chili.

The Santa Fe Depot is the end of the line.

The Santa Fe depot.

This is about 15 minutes before the train gets here. This street will be packed with busses and shuttle busses of all sizes when the train gets here. Albuquerque and Santa Fe really do a great job of coordinating bus and train schedules.

Now that sounds like a fun train.

My ride.

Still love the paint scheme. They would have had a tough time doing a better job.

There were a few people waiting for the train.

This is a non-holiday friday at 4:00.

Ridership was so much higher than initial estimates projected that they’ve been running trains too long for most of the platforms to accommodate all the people. They announce that you need to move out of cars xxxx to exit at the next station because the doors will not be opening at that station. It’s got to be a bit annoying for all the cars though because they leave the train blocking the road while it’s at quite a few of the stations because it is too long.

Santa Fe

Looking south across the desert at the Sandias.

More Santa Fe. The train is in the middle of the freeway now.

They’re going to announce to stop taking pictures in another couple of miles because part of the deal with the reservations to allow the trains to cross their land is that their would be absolutely no photography of the reservations.

The pedestrian bridge across half the freeway at the NM 599 station.

The old state prison where the new version of “The Longest Yard” was shot.

The Paseo del Norte/Journal Center station with the train hanging across the road while it loads and unloads.

The Isotopes stadium!

I moved under the cover as it started to sprinkle. I was planning on getting more pictures of the stadium, but the sprinkle is going to turn into a torrential downpour in about a minute.

The Sandias behind the stadium.

Rain!

And yes, we were down by 4 in the top of the 1st inning. The rain saved us (for now) from what was starting off as a very ugly game.

To add insult to injury they started playing “I’m Singing in the Rain” and other such songs.

Anyway, there’re my way too many pictures of Santa Fe, the rail runner, and the Isotopes’ stadium. Enjoy.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 3:46 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great tour!!!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 8:55 AM
robert die katze

This thread is great!

Santa Fe, I effin' love you.

Last edited by OfCourse; Aug 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:38 PM

Great thread. I knew that Santa Fe had some buildings from the 1600s but I didn't realize that everything looked so different. The expansive use of adobe, whether on old buildings or new, is a nice change in a relatively big city. also enjoyed seeing the cathedral, being a Catholic myself and all.

The Rail Runner and Isotopes pictures were interesting. I've heard good things about the Isotopes' stadium, mainly because they renovated the old stadium and continued the 1960s architecture theme instead of building a new stadium that looks like all other new stadiums.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:48 PM

Looks like a really nice city to visit... I'll have to add it to the list! So what drives the train ridership?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:34 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Looks like a really nice city to visit... I'll have to add it to the list! So what drives the train ridership?
A combination of factors that I don't think even the planners understand. Like I said, they immediately had to add capacity to make the trains longer than the platforms because ridership was so much higher than expected. I believe the original plan was to start out with 2 car trains, and now most of the trains have 5 cars, oftentimes with standing room only, which is phenomenal for a commuter train that only has 1 mid-day train.

The biggest ridership drivers are probably the freeway congestion, the distance between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, and the extremely high cost of living in Santa Fe. Santa Fe is the state capitol and has a ton of government jobs, but because of a variety of factors (it's a historical city inhabited by snobs and movie stars ) it is very expensive to live in, so many of the government employees and others work there, but live in the north end of Rio Rancho or Albuquerque, which is an hour away. The area in between is all Indian reservation, so most people can't live there. As a result, I-25 has been getting increasingly congested, but the reservations have repeatedly denied permission to widen the freeway, so that congestion probably isn't going to get better anytime in the near future. Combine that with cheap prices on the train ($7 round trip with advanced purchase), a fast ride (about the same as driving), stations DT and near the capitol, and the comfortable train ride v stressful drive, and train ridership is through the roof.

That's my theory anyway

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 7:07 PM

Hey! I appreciate the pics - I live in Albuquerque, and frequently take the RailRunner to Santa Fe. It's a beautiful trip, one that's difficult to capture in photos. Also really like the pics of the isotopes park as it's really a great place to see a game and the design is fantastic (in contrast to the design of the new ballpark being built for the college world series in my hometown of Omaha).

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 7:21 PM
Registirred User

Great pics. I say good on the rez people not allowing the freeways to be widened. I guess this also prevents urban sprawl from getting carried away.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 9:51 PM

The Land of Enchantment is apply named.

Did you get a picture of the stairwell in the Santa Fe cathedral? It's a spiral staircase without a central column. It's pretty famous.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
The Land of Enchantment is apply named.

Did you get a picture of the stairwell in the Santa Fe cathedral? It's a spiral staircase without a central column. It's pretty famous.
No, I didn't feel like going into the Loretto Chapel this trip. It's not in the cathedral, it's a private chapel about a block away. It is a very cool staircase though.

Source

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos