HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 5:59 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Junction House

Well, I hope I stick with this house. The last one I promised to finish failed. So I went onto another project. Plus I got my wisdom teeth pulled out which meant I had A LOT of spare time. And I came up with this.

Anyways, this is the Junction House. I call it the Junction House because it is four blocks away from a major transportation Junction in the neighborhood and in Seattle. I've put a lot of thought into it so I hope my inspiration will be around for the boring parts and I can actually finish this house.

Here's the first sketches!

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 11:39 AM
Closed account

Really like what you have so far Aleks.

Are you planning to be a architect??????

Looks really nice so far!!!!111

Also is that just the first floor?

Last edited by Flamesrule; May 23, 2010 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 9:07 PM

Good luck to you. It looks nice, and is a very Seattle-typical design if I may say so. As a citizen of the Seattle Metro Area, it would be shameful for me to do anything less than root 100% for this project. :-)

Old Posted May 23, 2010, 9:15 PM
World Machine

Very cool and unique design. Looking forward to updates.

Old Posted May 26, 2010, 10:46 PM
Ω

The entrance could use some work, you have a kind of 'tunnel effect'. The first floor bathroom is too small (assuming this is 1/8th scale) and badly placed. I would want to push those stairs east.

otherwise very cool especially if you haven't been to school.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 5:33 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Really like what you have so far Aleks.

Are you planning to be a architect??????

Looks really nice so far!!!!111

Also is that just the first floor?
haha, thanks, but i'm not a real architect! i will. i hope! both floorplans for the first and second floor are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
Good luck to you. It looks nice, and is a very Seattle-typical design if I may say so. As a citizen of the Seattle Metro Area, it would be shameful for me to do anything less than root 100% for this project. :-)
haha, thanks. yeah, i took the ain into consideration and since the house is really close to it's neighbors (like 4-7 ft on each side(btw this is the distance to the edge of the neighboring lot not the house on it)) i had to add large windows and an atrium-like cutout full of windows. i also wanted a flat roof where i could place plants and whatnot, but i decided to go with partially sloped and a deck area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Very cool and unique design. Looking forward to updates.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The entrance could use some work, you have a kind of 'tunnel effect'. The first floor bathroom is too small (assuming this is 1/8th scale) and badly placed. I would want to push those stairs east.

otherwise very cool especially if you haven't been to school.
yeah i tried doing something with the entrance but this was the best solution. i can't move the stairway to the east because a car wouldn't fit in the garage (i should've labeled it!). at my house the garage is currently 25x17 ft or so but there's a whole bunch of junk in the garage. on this house i made the garage 20x20 and it will have storage space on both north/south walls.

the tunnel entrance bothered me for a while, but i kinda like it now. and i added a large window to minimize claustrophobia. once you enter the main house there are large floor-to-ceiling windows though. the bathroom (which is beneath the stairs) is only a power room. i think 9x4'6" is actually pretty large for a powder room.

i'll make a clearer, labeled sketch which i'll post later on.

i wont update every week, but i want to update with work instead of only showing the final product. thanks everyone!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 10:26 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

so, i'm still working on this house and i'm trying to focus. here's a little sneak-peek of the house.

it's the downstairs bathroom and just like Zerton said, it was too small. So i ended up adding a few more feet to the east. the stairs remain above the toilet/sink while the new area is only for the entrance and a window (because imo EVERY bathroom needs a window)

ps. the shadows aren't final. i'll edit the settings to make them softer once i finish the house itself. then i'll eventually furnish it, etc...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 10:49 PM

Cool bathroom..love the wide angle its like something
you would take with the tokina...sorry to hear your
camera got nicked.....Im sure when you sketchup
your drawing it will look good.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 9:37 PM

That new render is really pretty impressive. The mirrors are a great touch. All you need is a tube of Crest on the counter next to the sink. I love seeing people's high quality indoor renders. It is really amazing what the design and rendering options are for home design these days. It sure beats the heck out of those old home architect software programs that they used to sell in boxes back during the early computing era.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 2:42 AM
Making hell of a noise...

I like how you actually execute the design. Really speaks for itself! Great work!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:20 AM

I'm liking this!

Keep up the great work

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 9:16 AM

I really like the sink-faucet-mirror combination plus the dark window frames. I think you need better tile material, though. The one you're using already has shadows on it, but they're off. I think you would be better off if you just made the material yourself. A simple black and white checkerboard texture with appropriate bump and specular maps wouldn't be too laborious.

They show a lot of Anglo-American interior design shows on TV here in Finland and I always wonder how carelessly the bathrooms are made with minimum attention to waterproofing. You're floor tiles are so big that the floor must be level. Here in Finland a floor drain is required in bathrooms and all other "wet areas". A bathroom floor can't be level, so that water drains towards the floor drain. Therefore the floor tiles can't be bigger than 10 cm x 10 cm. When I watch the shows I always think that you must have a lot of mildew problems.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
Here in Finland a floor drain is required in bathrooms and all other "wet areas". A bathroom floor can't be level, so that water drains towards the floor drain. Therefore the floor tiles can't be bigger than 10 cm x 10 cm. When I watch the shows I always think that you must have a lot of mildew problems.
No kiddn'? Somebody overflowed the bathtub in one of the upstairs bathrooms in my house and that water immediately soaked right down through the ceiling into the kitchen. It isn't an old house, either. It is one of the new suburban jobs. Thankfully it is the middle of summer, and it wasn't really that much water; but having a drain in the floor would definitely have prevented some minor water damage. Here in the States, I haven't seen any homes with drains in the floor, though most public facilities do.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 7:37 PM
Future architect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
No kiddn'? Somebody overflowed the bathtub in one of the upstairs bathrooms in my house and that water immediately soaked right down through the ceiling into the kitchen. It isn't an old house, either. It is one of the new suburban jobs.
Same thing happened to me last week! But it was the toilet that overflowed

The house looks great!!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:08 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Everyone in general-yeah I noticed that in many foreign countries the bathrooms floors slope to prevent water damage/mold. In my current house we have no sloped bathroom floors but we're very clean people. The only time when water reaches the floor is when we take showers but that's easily cleaned up with a mop.

Bathroom-That last bathroom is only a powder room which means no shower/bath. I'm very fond of good work, which means this house would have good plumbing, hopefully decreasing the chances of overflowing and clogs.

So I thought I was finished with that bathroom but I'll go back to working on it because there's something about it that bothers me. Maybe it's the tile. Vellu, I haven't made any textures, ever. Do you just use an image-editing program to create the texture/bump? I'm not sure how to create the bump but recently I started experimenting with solid-materials so maybe I'll move on to making my own textures.

Update-So here's what I have of the kitchen. I had to edit the appliances because they don't have enough geometry and look square-ish in renderings (ex. dishwasher and fridge's handles).

Like I said before, I still need to add more things but once I'm finished I'll make better renderings. I won't furnish the house until AFTER I finish it so you guys will have a pretty clear view of what the house looks like empty.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 11:11 AM

Wow, very impressive.

Can't wait to see your finished design. Good luck on becoming an architect. I wanted to be an architect myself, but I didn't have the money, nor did I want to spend 7 years in university.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 4:21 AM

It's definitely a rewarding career. I love my job everyday. Just think, you are designing the house like you are, except getting paid

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 1:26 AM
Closed account

Awsome Job Aleks. So could you tell me how many square feet the house would be?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup