HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 5:27 PM

Minneapolis has Gold Medal park...which is pretty boring really. Better than the empty parking lot that was there before, but not all that interesting really. It's surrounded by new condos and the Guthrie Theater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GoldMedalPark.JPG

This photo is by Chris Grergerson
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/pics/7425.jpg

http://www.cynthiafroid.com/about/neighborhood/

A memorial for the 35w bridge victims is supposed to be added...and perhaps as the park ages other intersting things will be added.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
We really should do more capping of expressways like this one and even on much larger scales in the future. This idea around my parts have been floated for decades but the cost seems to be the stumbling block. These must be very expensive.

http://www.oak-park.us/public/pdfs/N...ke%20Study.pdf
Yes, especially around most major cities' CBD's.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
We really should do more capping of expressways like this one and even on much larger scales in the future. This idea around my parts have been floated for decades but the cost seems to be the stumbling block. These must be very expensive.

http://www.oak-park.us/public/pdfs/N...ke%20Study.pdf
I think it's really only feasible for expressways that are below grade. I wonder what percentage of urban expressway meet that basic requirement.

I would really like to see I-70 in St Louis decked over for at least the 3 or 4 blocks at the Gateway Arch. It would have a huge positive effect:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...12628&t=h&z=17

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 9:23 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
There is no such rule at Jamison Park in Portland.
We probably have it here in AZ b/c of all of our pools theres a high rate of child drownings. So reactionary politicians went too far with a law like they often do and stopped using common sense. Its very frustrating to see a nice water feature on in such a limited capacity.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2010, 11:10 PM
Be Happy!

Winston-Salem is currently renovating existing park spaces over 25 years old and building a new park on the east side of downtown.

Cloverleaf Park is a linear park through downtown Winston-Salem's Research Park. It will include a pedestrian bridge, bike paths, amphitheatre and waterway restoration project. It's currently under construction. I don't know if it's among the best, but it will look impressive when it's completed and will look great from the highways, including the long bridge leading into downtown.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
Minneapolis has Gold Medal park...which is pretty boring really. Better than the empty parking lot that was there before, but not all that interesting really. It's surrounded by new condos and the Guthrie Theater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GoldMedalPark.JPG

This photo is by Chris Grergerson
http://www.phototour.minneapolis.mn.us/pics/7425.jpg

http://www.cynthiafroid.com/about/neighborhood/

A memorial for the 35w bridge victims is supposed to be added...and perhaps as the park ages other intersting things will be added.
It's simple and pretty. Very well-manicured.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 7:07 AM

Also in LA is the Baldwin Hills park plan. Not quite a park in the center of the city, though surrounded by development. Basically it already exists, though a road cuts through it, and this plan would revamp it to more of a traditional park:

via robertbecker.com

Currently:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
I think it's really only feasible for expressways that are below grade. I wonder what percentage of urban expressway meet that basic requirement.

I would really like to see I-70 in St Louis decked over for at least the 3 or 4 blocks at the Gateway Arch. It would have a huge positive effect:

Atlanta's Downtown Connector (I-75/I-85) would be a great candidate for capping...it's all below grade through Midtown and Downtown. The new 5th Street Bridge over the Connector in Midtown Atlanta is a good start at capping the entire highway. It's like a miniature park, with bike lanes and plenty of greenspace:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattwil...92292/sizes/o/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 1:30 AM
BANNED

I wanted to mention this but didn't want to go search for images, but today the Chronicle published some so here it is:

The rooftop park to be on the new San Francisco TransBay Terminal:

replacing this

Source all images: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNGS1D2189.DTL

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Just north of Grant Park is Lakeshore East Park. It's evolving as there is still quite a bit of future development around it including more towers, a large retail center, and probably a new school.

Matt Cornish/ flickr

ArchDaily
I want to live there someday

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 12:20 PM

that new 5th street bridge in atlanta is pretty cool. a much better entryway to the Georgia Tech campus than what was there before.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
E pluribus unum

Pretty sure there's been talk of capping Fort Washington Way in Cincinnati, essentially connecting downtown to the riverfront (which should've been done ages ago)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 2:16 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post

Theres an organized push to remove I-70 completely from downtown once the new I-70 bridge is completed north of downtown - in favor of an at grade boulevard. The depressed lanes of I-70 are bad enough, but the elevated portion of I-70 slices off Lacledes landing from downtown/washington ave as well.

http://citytoriver.org/images/front_...ruce-after.jpg

http://citytoriver.org/
To some America first rap country song”

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 2:29 PM

Of course, Boston has the Rose Kennedy Greenway built atop the big dig and replaced the central artery. It's still very much unfinished, and not exactly a success story. Like most things in Boston, this'll be unfinished 50 years from now.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 3:34 PM

Heh, I wish they'd cap I-35 through downtown Austin. Oh man, the views would be sweet. Imagine a 20+ block long park on the east side of downtown. That "freeway park" in San Francisco is beautiful. I wish they could do that here.

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful. - Edward R. Murrow

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 11:42 PM

The most important parks for the entire city of LA will really be the Civic Center park and the Park 101.

They would pretty much be adjacent to each other and provide the urban connective tissue for some of LA's most revered landmarks and institutions.

The Civic Center park, if done right by tearing down the two imposing County Buildings on each side, would be surrounded by some of LA's incredible cultural venues and other worthy establishments. We're talking the Music Center (LA Opera, Center Theater Group, Ahmanson, etc.), the Walt Disney Concert Hall (home to the LA Philharmonic and conductor Gustavo Dudamel), Los Angeles Times, the LAPD Headquarters, Thom Mayne's Caltrans HQ, LA City Hall, one of Richard Neutra's only commerical structures (Hall of Records IIRC), Moneo's Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, and the prestigious conservatory Colburn School.

Imagine all of those surrounding a civic park? Wow.

Then with Park 101, you are connecting the oldest and most historic section of LA (El Pueblo, Chinatown, and Union Station - future hub of the high speed rail) with the Civic Center and the new proposed civic park.

I believe if and when that happens, LA will quickly gain a much stronger center of gravity with a well connected urban core that contains many of the best of what LA has to offer, which will undoubtedly change the reputation of LA from a city of freeways and sprawling suburbs, to a city with an actual urban core that rivals some of the best!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 12:08 AM

^ Don't forget LA State Historic Park (aka The Cornfield)...

From Angelenic

From Angelenic

From Angelenic

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 12:35 AM

^ Yes, and the Cornfield park will be very important as the entire area is connected to the rest of Downtown LA by capping the freeway. As it stands now, the area of El Pueblo, Chinatown, and Union Station are way too weak on their own. It just doesn't have enough to be wonderful by itself (not in an LA context). However, once connected, the situation quickly changes as it becomes a bona fide extension of Downtown LA. Not to mention Union Station playing a much more important role in the region if the high speed rail ever gets built.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
that new 5th street bridge in atlanta is pretty cool. a much better entryway to the Georgia Tech campus than what was there before.
Agreed.

It also helped to connect Georgia Tech to Midtown more. Georgia Tech seems more willing to be a part of Midtown community more so than 15-20 years ago. GT Barnes&Noble Bookstore, Technology Square, etc on the eastside of the Downtown Connector serve as evidence of this. Where as 20 years ago, GT investments, expansion would more likely to have occurred west and north and away from Downtown and Midtown Atlanta.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 1:03 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Awesome list, but two very new, awesome parks that deserve mention

Jamison Square, Portland, OR
Tanner Springs Park, Portland, OR
Millennium Park is an obvious first, I'd switch the Dallas and St. Louis ones up, put Jamison at number 3, bumping all the ones past back one, and Tanner Springs just after that Dallas Arts one. The Seattle one I'd put after Tanner Springs, which is after the Dallas Arts.
I live in Chicago now, but I grew up in and around Portland. I was there last year, and I have to say that if the success of a park can be measured by how crowded it is, both of the above-mentioned Portland parks are enormously successful. I took time to just stay and enjoy both of them, and I have to say that from a neighborhood livability standpoint, they're even better than Millennium Park here in Chicago. I would absolutely LOVE to see a park like Jamison located across the street from me - and I only live about a 20 minute walk from Millennium Park.

Certainly aspects of Portland's urban planning is overblown, but these parks, if anything, aren't given anything like the fame they deserve. Portland in general has some great parks, but even in that context, these two new ones really do shine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions