HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 3:25 AM

Arrow • National Capital Region I •

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:20 AM

Gotta love that city.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 5:39 AM

Great pictures! I have quite a few questions and comments.

~I liked your nature pictures. Those were different and cool. Where were the hilltop pictures from? What lake is that with the boats on?
~I liked your picture of the Rideau Canal heading towards the Ottawa River. Is that picture towards the end of the dry canal with the boat in it also the Rideau?
~What part of town is that Zells place on Sparks Street (almost at the end of the thread) in?
~Your title implies, at least to me, that this is inside and outside of Ottawa (pretty obvious given the natural pictures), and maybe even Ontario and Quebec. What was the geographic range of these pictures?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

~I liked your nature pictures. Those were different and cool. Where were the hilltop pictures from? What lake is that with the boats on?
~I liked your picture of the Rideau Canal heading towards the Ottawa River. Is that picture towards the end of the dry canal with the boat in it also the Rideau?
~What part of town is that Zells place on Sparks Street (almost at the end of the thread) in?
~Your title implies, at least to me, that this is inside and outside of Ottawa (pretty obvious given the natural pictures), and maybe even Ontario and Quebec. What was the geographic range of these pictures?
I'll second your opinion on these wonderful pictures.

And I can help with some of the answers.

The picture of the dry canal with the boat is the northern end of the Rideau Canal, where it empties into the Ottawa River. The building on the left is the Chateau Laurier and the small stone building on the right is the Bytown Museum, an original building that was part of the engineering effort to build the canal in the early 1800's. Check out the main page at http://www.bytownmuseum.com/ for a view from near the top of the locks, looking down instead of up.

Zellers is a department store chain. I don't think the building is still used for that though. It's at the corner of O'Connor and Sparks in downtown Ottawa. Sparks Street is a pedestrian-only street. Check it out on google streetview http://maps.google.ca/maps?cbp=12,19...699364&layer=c .

The sail-boat lake is the Ottawa River, or a widening in it that is sometimes called Lac Deschenes. See the wider part of the river on the left half of this picture http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...41513&t=h&z=11

Some of the pictures are from nature trails in Ottawa or Gatineau, others I don't recognize. At least one was from elevation in the Gatineau Park. You can see it on the previous google map. The tip of the Park is a thin wedge of green pointed at downtown Ottawa and comes in from the northwest (top of the picture, on the left).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:

RTWAP answered most of the questions.

The hills are just across the Ottawa river on the Quebec side, they are part of the Canadian Shield.

A lot of the nature pics are from trails in the National Capital Commision's Greenbelt that stretches around Ottawa. If you look at a map, you'll note that there are several suburbs separated from the city by the Greenbelt (the largest are Kanata, Orleans and Barrhaven).

And yes, some of the photos are in Quebec and on the outskirts of Ottawa (the National Capital Region is a large area around Ottawa). Most of the shots are within Ottawa and Hull, but the ferry pictured crosses the Ottawa River to Quyon, Quebec, about 40 minutes west. The aerial shots are from Place du Portage in Hull.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 2:06 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:07 PM
Eurosceptic

this is one kickass photo collection...

I love the dense grey skies... I love the Canadian Shield pics... I love the farms and rivers...

and this photo... Ottawhoa!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post

Zellers is a department store chain. I don't think the building is still used for that though. It's at the corner of O'Connor and Sparks in downtown Ottawa. Sparks Street is a pedestrian-only street. Check it out on google streetview http://maps.google.ca/maps?cbp=12,19...699364&layer=c .

The Zeller's store is 100% operational at that location. It is probably one of the most compact Zeller's stores around. Two floors ground and basement. Very narrow escalators to get down stairs. Sells a wide variety of the regular Zellers stuff for it's size. They basically eliminated large items.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 8:27 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I was going to say that it was still a Zellers when I was there, though that was 2006.

Great thread flar. I'm glad we'll get to see more of Ottawa now that you're there.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 9:06 PM

Quote:

The outer neighbourhoods of the city are separated from the inner city by large areas of undeveloped land, mostly forest. So, almost all of the natural photo's are within the city of Ottawa. I live near Lac Deschenes, which is the area of the Ottawa River with the sailboats. The title refers to the fact that some of the pictures are from Gatineau, which is part of the national capital region, but distinct from the city of Ottawa. Actually, it looks like the picture with the ferry is the only picture that isn't from Ottawa or Gatineau, but flar could correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 10:31 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Looks like you're getting quite handy with that camera thingie. Beautiful set of pics flar. Great city too. Love the locks. Thanks for the tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 1:00 AM

Zellers is a Canada-wide discount department store chain, competing against Wal-mart and owned by the Hudson's Bay Company, North America's oldest company established in 1670. The Zeller's store in the photo is Ottawa's first, and it opened in 1932. I accidentally came across the store opening ads. That building had served as another retail store before that. My mother worked in that store many years ago. The building was lovingly restored in the 1990s as part of the construction of a new adjacent building.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 2:33 AM

Excellent set! I had the pleasure of driving from Quebec to Wisconsin (via Sault Ste Marie) about seven Octobers ago. I remember the Ottawa River Valley as being spectacular. I really like those ridges on the QC side, especially the proximity of the rocky uplands and the flatter agricultural areas.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 8:04 AM

Superbly constructed thread - the maple leaf at the beginning and the 'fin' sign at the end made me smile, and the pictures of the parliament building lit up in different colours throughout were great. Hard to pick a favourite amongst such a great set, but this one is very memorable.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 9:30 AM

Proper.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 9:41 AM
arf

So many memories in these images for me. Nice.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 6:36 PM

This is quite stunning and diverse.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 7:30 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Stunning photography!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 8:58 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Those pictures made me feel energetic and at peace. Great job!! I love that city. Unfortunately I was only there for one day to tour the center block of the peace tower and walk around downtown.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 12:56 AM

Thanks for the replies!

More Ottawa threads to come....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos