HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:07 AM

OTTAWA | Centretown 1

OTTAWA: Centretown 1

This is a late Victorian to early 20th century neighbourhood just south of downtown Ottawa. The neighbourhood features some great
looking townhouses and nice leafy streets. Centretown covers a large area and contains some of Ottawa's best Victorian housing, so
I'm doing it in parts. This part covers the area between Bronson and Kent.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:32 AM
sick transit, gloria

Great pictures! My favourite neighbourhood in Ottawa, and so many places I remember so well.

I've always liked this place, and went to a party in one of the buildings next door:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...own1/00098.jpg

Always wondered what the deal with these places was too:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...own1/00101.jpg

Obviously the siding belies their true age, which I'd guess to be in the 1880s or 1890s. The middle one may even be earlier.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 4:48 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Well done!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 6:11 AM

Welcome to my 'hood!
Great pics!!!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 6:17 AM

Very nice!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 11:30 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Fantastic urban neighbourhood!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Great pictures! My favourite neighbourhood in Ottawa, and so many places I remember so well.

I've always liked this place, and went to a party in one of the buildings next door:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...own1/00098.jpg

Always wondered what the deal with these places was too:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...own1/00101.jpg

Obviously the siding belies their true age, which I'd guess to be in the 1880s or 1890s. The middle one may even be earlier.
I think these small frame houses were once plentiful in the areas around the fringe of downtown now covered by highrises. I was looking at some old pictures of Ottawa showing a rather haphazzard array of small wooden houses surrounding the downtown area, much like Hintonburg.

A couple other observations:
I love the look and colour of Ottawa's old brick. It looks like a fairly hard brick that stands the test of time well. Either that or gentrification has led to a lot of expensive brick cleaning. It looks like there was a concerted effort to plant trees sometime in the last 20-30 years, many of the trees are not that old. These kind of neighbourhoods look so much better with trees and greenery.

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of these houses have very high foundations, which adds to the "tall" character that gives late-Victorian neighbourhoods their urban presence.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:23 PM

Some really great looking homes. A lot of these brick structures look like they've been maintained pretty well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 3:43 PM

Nice pictures. If you had told me that this was Hamilton, I would've believed you. It looks much more similar to Hamilton than that other Ottawa neighborhood that you showed. Why do you think that is? Maybe the same developer or designer? Maybe just similar tastes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
This building is interesting. Not only can you see the faded painted sign for the store, but you can see where the door at the corner of the building used to be (probably diagonal to make it easy for people comign from both directions to go in).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. If you had told me that this was Hamilton, I would've believed you. It looks much more similar to Hamilton than that other Ottawa neighborhood that you showed. Why do you think that is? Maybe the same developer or designer? Maybe just similar tastes?

This particular neighbourhood is definitely southern Ontario in style. It has very little Quebec flavour, it's more English, like Toronto and Hamilton. A lot of the similarity comes from the bay and gable townhouses.

Some of the many late Victorian townhouses with bay and gable in Hamilton

On the flip side, Hamilton also has a some of these Ottawa style houses. It's just a basic house, but I call them Ottawa style because they are everywhere in Ottawa, one of the generic filler houses here. The first pic is Hamilton, the second is Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 7:02 PM

Now this is a nice looking neighbourhood! Wow, it amazes me the beautiful old neighbourhoods out east. Definitely a different pace and style from the Prairies. Look at all that brick! Beautiful, beautiful housing! Is it a wealthy area? It must be a verrrrry nice area to walk through. And your pictures quality could not be better (what cam do you use?)!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 9:24 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Is it a wealthy area?
Sort of. The area has definitely gentrified and the houses that are well maintained aren't cheap. There are plenty of places that have been subdivided into apartments (or retained the original division from when they were built) that rent for a pretty reasonable rate.

Historically I think Centretown (Uppertown) was the wealthier English section of Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 2:24 AM

great picture quality

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 1:11 PM
SkyscraperSunset.com

Beautiful neighborhood and photos. I always liked Ottawa when I was there, very photogenic, but my trips have been to short...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 10:48 PM

Nice tour as usual, Flar. There are some beautiful homes up that way.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 11:43 PM

Great name for a bike shop! (last photo)

What a cool neighborhood. It definately has a strong Hamilton/Toronto vibe with the brick Victorians.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Sort of. The area has definitely gentrified and the houses that are well maintained aren't cheap. There are plenty of places that have been subdivided into apartments (or retained the original division from when they were built) that rent for a pretty reasonable rate.

Historically I think Centretown (Uppertown) was the wealthier English section of Ottawa.
To a degree, but I believe Sandy Hill used to be Ottawa's wealthiest neighborhood, up until the 1920s or so. There are some incredible old mansions tucked away in there.

And flar, I found what you called the "Ottawa-style" house interesting, because it's different from how I use the term. I've always considered this to be Ottawa-style, since they're all over the older parts of town and I haven't really seen any similar examples outside of the city:

The style I'm referring to is the one on the right. Tall, narrow profile, arched roof, and often with balconies right over the door. They're very distinct, and very Ottawa, IMO... nearly every older neighborhood in the city has examples of 'em.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 1:16 AM

^^I would agree those gambrel roof houses are quintessential Ottawa, they're very plentiful and unique to Ottawa and one of the first things I noticed when I moved up here. They were mostly built around 1905-1920ish I think. But you do see that gambrel element even in some of the Victorians. They even start to show up in the later south and west parts of Centretown. I was thinking about Ottawa's Victorian-era styles in this thread for the ones I called Ottawa-style above, since there are so many of them in Ottawa's 19th century neighbourhoods like Lowertown, Sandy Hill and Centretown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Now this is a nice looking neighbourhood! Wow, it amazes me the beautiful old neighbourhoods out east. Definitely a different pace and style from the Prairies. Look at all that brick! Beautiful, beautiful housing! Is it a wealthy area? It must be a verrrrry nice area to walk through. And your pictures quality could not be better (what cam do you use?)!
This is my favourite kind of neighbourhood, a great pleasure to walk through. I think part of what makes these neighbourhoods so walkable is the architecture and aesthetics, not just the physical layout.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 1:54 PM

Fantastic Tour!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 2:20 PM
Corporate logo

Wow. Another awesome Ontario neighborhood. Some of those houses defy description.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos