HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 3:17 PM

Taken June 28, 2021

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 4:03 PM
It's a nickname from work

It's really added to the skyline when you see it from Westdale, just wish it looked better

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
It's really added to the skyline when you see it from Westdale, just wish it looked better
Aye, perhaps when it's all said and done, the outcome will be more desirable and settled.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 6:03 PM

First picture from my office, second driving up Queen taken by my passenger. Seems like the last few pieces of precast going up.

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 10:36 AM

The corner of this building facing Queen and King is nice looking.... why the heck didn't they do the same thing on the corner facing west on King.... you know...where thousands of cars are driving towards it daily and now have to see a bland white panel wall with no interesting features at all

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:51 PM

I like the big giant black #1 on the tower

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 1:20 AM

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 3:26 PM

6/27/2021 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 3:35 PM

Great shot. Is that taken from St Joe's Trail? That's such a lovely new path, albeit short. Wish they'd make the Bruce Trail that nice.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 3:41 PM

I didn't take the photo, but I believe it was taken from the new Keddy Access Trail.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 3:48 PM

some great sightlines from keddy for sure of the bay and on clear days, Toronto is easily viewable in the background to the north-east.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Wish they'd make the Bruce Trail that nice.
Three-metre-wide asphalt trail over 890km? Would be easier to pave the Hamilton-Brantford Rail Trail.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 4:45 PM

Sorry, should clarify, inferring to the Hamilton Lower City portion, not the aggregate 890km of trail.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 4:48 PM
Ham-burgher

Paving the trail through Hamilton would go against the very nature of the Bruce Trail (pun intended!)

I think there are reasonable paved or graded alternatives that one could use through the city though, and still reconnect with the Bruce at either end (e.g., the rail trail, Chedoke radial trail, the paved walkways along the top of the escarpment, etc.). I believe sections of some of them are part of the Bruce Trail... the eastern rail trail for example?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Paving the trail through Hamilton would go against the very nature of the Bruce Trail (pun intended!)

I think there are reasonable paved or graded alternatives that one could use through the city though, and still reconnect with the Bruce at either end (e.g., the rail trail, Chedoke radial trail, the paved walkways along the top of the escarpment, etc.)
I figured that the /s was implied. Paving any permeable trail strikes me as a dubious undertaking for a host of reasons. Violation of nature is certainly one. The engineering challenges from topography would be another.

Also hugely impractical from a jurisdictional standpoint (Bruce Trail Conservancy, NEC, HCA, private landowners providing linkage under informal and non-binding agreements that could be revoked if a single-lane road were proposed).

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 5:22 PM

Sorry I should double clarify, I meant things like the rail trail where portions are paved from before but are in bad shape or have gravel already. Like Corktown Park to say Mohawk Park stretch.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 5:27 PM

I'd love for the Escarpment Rail Trail to be paved, the southern half already has been with some terrible condition asphalt. Same with the Red Hill Valley Trail.

Generally I'm not a fan of those types of gravel trails, which always just seem like a cheap way of avoiding paving it.

The Bruce Trail for most of it's length is more of a true hiking trail and would involve a lot of work and environmental damage to turn into a paved 3m multi-use trail. I'd avoid that.

I would like them to fix the Red Hill Valley Trail's climb up the mountain north of it's connection to Pritchard Road though, it turns from a 3m gravel path to a hiking trail to climb the escarpment and then back to a 3m gravel path at the top. They need to install a proper switchback to support cycling through there which isn't possible right now.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 6:23 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I would like them to fix the Red Hill Valley Trail's climb up the mountain north of it's connection to Pritchard Road though, it turns from a 3m gravel path to a hiking trail to climb the escarpment and then back to a 3m gravel path at the top. They need to install a proper switchback to support cycling through there which isn't possible right now.
In my teens and 20s I spent a lot of time walking the trails in the Red Hill Valley (on some of the steeper ones I'd sprint up as many times as I could... I'm not in that kind of shape now! ). This was about mid-1980s to 2000 or so. Some of the paved sections were in rough shape back then, and I haven't been back in a while so I have no idea if they were ever repaved; I would guess not. The city had a small tree farm in King's Forest, though I can't recall exactly where; it's probably gone now, since construction of the parkway.

It was a bit dangerous on some hills with blind curves. Cyclists would bomb down them, hitting quite high speeds, so if you were walking as they were coming down you had to be ready to jump out of the way. Most that I recall were good at letting you know with a bell or even a yell, but there were a few a-holes who would not, then blame you for being in their way.

I don't know if the NEC would allow the city to build a switchback, but maybe a stairway with a bike trough?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 6:24 PM
Ham-burgher

MODS: do we have a Hamilton Trails thread? Perhaps some of this discussion could be moved there, or one created for this conversation??

Edit -- I created one called Hamilton area trails: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=247532

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jul 5, 2021 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 10:57 AM

Our views from the parking lot has changed so much in the last few years, it will be great when we are surrounded with a few more high rises in the area.
If only the local nimby people with the signs in their yards would be more inviting to change...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton