HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Krell58, if I might follow your example, I'll climb out on a different limb and guess that we're looking north across Santa Monica Blvd. in West Los Angeles between the 20th Century lot and Westwood Blvd.

My source for L.A. street lighting options didn't make mention of the fixtures shown in the photo, but the railway right-of-way and ground contour look familiar.
I'm getting closer.

If the top globe of this three globe street light was replaced with a lantern shape I thought I had a match.

http://hdl.huntington.org/alhambra/1913

"Ornamental Streetlight Post. Alhambra Type - 11/22/1913"

Alas, even if the top globe was replaced with a lantern shape there are still major discrepancies from the street light in our mystery photo.

eBay

Of course it's impossible to see the bottom half of the streetlight...the street and sidewalk are below grade (from where the photograph was standing)
(unless it's just an extra-short street light )

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 14, 2015 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 11:27 PM

Thank you for the "CHiPS" screen grabs Hoss. The first one includes a bit of the great "Union Jack" railing at the tunnel entrance. It's now chain-link.

The second image really took me back. DTLA was a wasteland then with adobe dust storms kicked up by any wind. It was so disorienting without addresses or buildings, we took to calling areas by their plat numbers. The plat maps were the only ones that made any sense. In the evenings, people would get attacked by marauders while trying make it across the expanses from one building to another. Strange times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
In the second episode there's another chase through the Civic Center (even though they leave the freeway at the Fairfax Avenue exit). Here's the parking garage of the State of California Building as seen from the entrance of the 2nd Street tunnel.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

The chase ends when they pull over the drunk driver on 2nd Street between Figueroa and the Harbor Freeway. Just for fun I thought I'd include this shot looking south-west from 2nd. The view was completely clear to the far side of 4th Street. It's likely that this episode was filmed in early 1977, so the Westin Bonaventure Hotel on the left would have only been about a year old at the time.

MGM TV/Rosner TV
East entrance to the Second Street Tunnel from above:

gsv

The history of the southwest corner of 1st and Broadway is here and here. (I shoulda found this before asking for help)

The first link also contains a bit of info on the Public Service Building (1928) and the Broadway Investment Building (1911), both of which can be seen in the gsv immediately above.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 16, 2015 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 11:28 PM

Greta & Bill Watson's Steak House
Beverly Blvd. at Robertson

eBay

I was curious to see if this quaint building with the enormous sign had survived.

Nope, it was replaced with this.

GSV

Here's the rest of the 1950s matchbook.

very fancy matches!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 15, 2015 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:01 AM

"The day thirteen Ford V-8s were delivered to the Los Angeles Police Department."

eBay

I'm intrigued by the location of this press photo. I can't quit figure out where it was taken (what parking lot?). The ramshackle buildings in the upper left corner
have thrown me for a loop.

Does anyone have an idea where this was taken?

Here is the full description from eBay.

The "Order of De Molay"?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 15, 2015 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:12 AM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:32 AM

Regarding the Bohemian Cafe CRestview-9414 Edit: in a later post the article mentioning Roscoe Arbuckle is from 1932, as Arbuckle was mounting a short lived comeback. He died in '33.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...uckle-1921.jpg

It may be interesting to note that the somewhat easy-to-confuse La Boheme was proverbially around the corner at the 8614 Sunset location, later to be occupied by the Trocadero. There have been several Bohemian Cafes, clubs as well as La Bohemes in the LA area. There was even a Bohemian Tavern in Pasadena. I have never noticed the Bohemian Cafe mentioned on any maps, but that was probably because the Bohemian Cafe probably predated most Hollywood tourist maps. Curious when the first tourist maps for Hollywood first appeared. The wonderful amusement map we have viewed a few times apparently dates to 1929. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=8036

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20189

Los Angeles "Fools Night?"

Quote:
[Leading businessmen] John G. Francis (in foreground) and others, as clowns in the La Fiesta de Los Angeles Fool's night, ca.1900-1911. On parade at the corner of 5th Street and Hill Street looking east from Hill Street.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...HS-1454%29.jpg

Last edited by Tourmaline; Mar 15, 2015 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Wonderful Post David-3940dxer!!

I wasn't aware of a Bungalow Land until that map...very cool find. I get confused with the area at the top of Laurel Canyon. I still wouldn't be able to point out where the 'Lookout Inn' used to be. I would find it interesting to see a photo taken from Hollywood and looking up into the Laurel Canyon area and have a X to mark the spot (hint hint)

Sorry I can't answer your question about the locations of the Log House and Tavern Inn.
It would be fun to find out more about the remnant of the stone fireplace.

When you're up in that area have you noticed a building that kinda looks like an elementary school?
Here's a photo of it from the late 1970s or early 80s.

Back in the day it was a secret film studio that produced government films (atomic films during the Cold War). It's been mentioned briefly in the thread a few years back. Anyway, I just thought it would be cool to see more recent photos of this mysterious place.
Everyone loves a mystery....right?

Curious about the not-so-secret Laurel Canyon locations allegedly used for WW1 scenes in Chaplin's the Great Dictator.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/PS-RvJVqvhU/hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS-RvJVqvhU

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 7:31 AM

Quote:
"The day thirteen Ford V-8s were delivered to the Los Angeles Police Department."

eBay

I'm intrigued by the location of this press photo. I can't quit figure out where it was taken (what parking lot?). The ramshackle buildings in the upper left corner
have thrown me for a loop.

Does anyone have an idea where this was taken?

Here is the full description from eBay.

The "Order of De Molay" -what the heck is that?
__
I believe this photo was taken looking west on 1st Street from Spring, or from between Spring & Main. The building on the right is the State Building, and the ramshackle-ish building at left is the side of the building(s) that sat next to the old Times Building. The brick building with double windows is the back corner of the Times Building itself, which (as has been discussed a few times) jutted out from the rest of the building at the inside corner of their property. That whole conglomeration of buildings sat on the State building's front lawn until they were torn down about 1938.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 8:17 AM

Tyrone Daily Herald 30 March 1932, pg. 4
Roscoe Arbuckle will do 2 weeks at Stark's Bohemian Cafe before he starts that vaudeville tour.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Thx, I couldn't get around to posting the recipe for concrete, so I'm glad you did. My contractor grandfather couldn't stand people referring to concrete as "cement". I gotta admit though, people do use the terms interchangeably. As long as they're not making the stuff, no harm done.
Well, like the lady with the trowel picture, if one wants a sidewalk or a patio, one hires a SEE-mint contractor, all others ask for concrete.
Regards to you and your grandfather.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:03 PM

Actor/singer/Oscar winner Jared Leto is the new owner of that Laurel Canyon ex government building.
http://tinyurl.com/muc4u4g

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:03 PM

Quote:
I thought I'd start this post with a picture of the Hollenbeck Hotel which once stood on the corner of 2nd and Spring Streets. From what I can find, it was demolished in 1931.

The photo below shows the same corner in 1939. USC currently have the location wrong in their description, but I'll be sending an email to fix that. The 1938 CD lists 201 S Spring as the address for the Federal Building and the Los Angeles Post Office. By 1939, the building is just listed as a Post Office. It didn't last long - the 1942 CD has the Post Office at 312 N Spring, and a confectioner named Sol Rubin at 201 S Spring. Skipping on a few years, the 1956 CD lists Walt's Auto Parks & Garages at 201 S Spring, so I'm guessing it was a parking lot by then.

The tall, white building is labeled the Civic Center Building, although I believe it started out as the California Building (going by the Baist maps) and tovangar2's recent post names it as the 1911 Broadway Investment Building.

Above the entrance to the tunnel is the Northern Hotel at 420 W 2nd, and on top of the hill is the pointed turret of the Dome Apartments at 201 S Grand.

USC Digital Library

And here's today's view of 2nd and Spring.

GSV

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:16 PM

Very interesting HossC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
I believe this photo was taken looking west on 1st Street from Spring, or from between Spring & Main. The building on the right is the State Building, and the ramshackle-ish building at left is the side of the building(s) that sat next to the old Times Building. The brick building with double windows is the back corner of the Times Building itself, which (as has been discussed a few times) jutted out from the rest of the building at the inside corner of their property. That whole conglomeration of buildings sat on the State building's front lawn until they were torn down about 1938.
Thanks ProphetM....that helps a lot!
__

I don't believe we've seen this color pic before, but I could be wrong (of course ).

-mystery location-

old file of mine/possibly from eBay

I've been trying to figure out the name on that roof-top sign in the distance.
Is it _ _ _ _ CH'S or ER's FOODS 'something' market?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 15, 2015 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
ER....The Bohemian Cafe looks like it was a cool place.

Back in 1959 Rockabilly singer Tommy Facenda recorded a series of popular songs about local high schools nationwide.
Here's his Los Angeles version... to play, click You Tube link:

https://youtu.be/aIaGA6k6E5Q

waybackattack
Interesting info about Tommy Facenda. I find these lesser known rockabilly characters much more fascinating that famous 50's rock n' roll stars.
I saw Tommy Facenda live with rest of the at the time still-living members of Blue Caps at the Derby (Hillhurst & Los Feliz Blvd) around 2002-2004. I don't remember if he performed his own songs at the show. The evening was sort of Gene Vincent tribute.
I've tried to track down Gene Vincent & Blue Caps L.A locations for a while. While they were recording at the Capitol, they supposedly lived at the Knickerbocker Hotel. In 50's Gene had a place on Ocean Ave, Venice. Later on he lived near Cahuenga and Yucca. Not much before his death, he lived in West Hollywood, just north of Santa Monica Blvd. This is the only address that can be verified, can't remember it right now, but details/info is relatively easy to find.

Elvis did some recording not too far from Bohemian House:
http://tinyurl.com/kxex6rj
Can't remember the source or the details, but Johnny Burnette Rock N Roll Trio also recorded at this same 7000 Santa Monica Blvd address.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:37 PM

re: S-line on Gage Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
IIRC, these diversions were made to provide space for small structures that housed pumps in the center of the right-of-way. The pumps and the structures that housed them subsequently were removed, but I don't believe that the tracks were ever straightened.
Here's another photograph showing the 'curved' tracks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30993133@N04/

This view also shows the Pacific electric freight tracks that crossed the S-line tracks.

Wenders, I had no idea Jared Leto bought the 'secret' military compound on Lookout Mountain.

http://www.mygen.com/users/ufo/Laure...stract%20.html

I imagined it being full of mold and detritus. -little did I know (see below)

http://variety.com/gallery/jared-let...-canyon/#!15//

http://variety.com/gallery/jared-let...-canyon/#!21//

just amazing!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 15, 2015 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agakhan61 View Post
Tyrone Daily Herald 30 March 1932, pg. 4
Roscoe Arbuckle will do 2 weeks at Stark's Bohemian Cafe before he starts that vaudeville tour.
Thanks. As Arbuckle passed in June '33, his attempted comeback was relatively short-lived. One has to wonder about the venue that booked him and the audience he drew. Intimate refined setting or raucous roadhouse? Although things may have been relaxed/damp in unincorporated West Hollywood, Prohibition was still in effect until early '33.

"Fatty" with third wife prior to his death . (Reading his Bohemian reviews?)
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics05/00022072.jpg

The article also mentions the "Frolics Cafe." No listing available for this establishment. Not to be confused with the Frolic Room, next to the Pantages.

1932 - Proposed plans for Frolics Cafe - a "dining and dancing garden."

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...ll170/id/32826

Last edited by Tourmaline; Mar 15, 2015 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 5:58 PM

Thanks to everyone who's posted pix and info about the old electric cars. I was not much familiar with them as a kid as my parents went everywhere by automobile.

I read every post and your expansive knowledge has finally started to sink in which is much appreciated. I'm looking forward to more.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:55 PM

"Slow-moving Mountain" / Elysian Park Landslide

Herman J. Schultheis/LAPL

In the first months of 2011, 2012 and 2013 there were singular posts (links below) by Westcork, E_R and Chuckaluck, mentioning a landslide that occurred in Elysian Park in November of 1937. (A couple photos in this post are from these previous postings.)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2719
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7234
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12957

from E_R's post/ebay

I discovered a recent online article describing this event and the fact that it became
nationwide news and over a half-million people came to witness it. From the article:

Sensational news reports, printed in papers and broadcast on radio nationwide, described it as a "moving mountain," and tourists came from afar to witness the geologic curiosity. One Oklahoma City police officer took a leave of absence to watch the slide. Two boys hopped freight trains from New York to see it. Some 10,000 sightseers came by the hour. Spectators pressed against police barricades along Riverside Drive, and enterprising vendors worked the throng like a baseball game, hawking peanuts, popcorn, and soda. Some even sold field glasses. Everyone acknowledged that it was a sight to behold, but no one could agree on its cause.

Caption: Cracks slowly became crevasses, and then eventually the entire hillside slid in one violent moment on the night of Nov. 26. Courtesy of the Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive, Department of Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.

Caption: As the landslide crept toward the river, the forest atop the mass remained more or less intact. Courtesy of the Los Angeles Times Photographic Archive,

LAPL

Riverside Drive and onlookers:

The online article is HERE. Finally, here's a 40 second video of this news event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6KS...ature=youtu.be

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
First, welcome to the forum. I hope you'll hang around. As I think I've mentioned, I grew up in and around the several grocery stores my father operated in Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, primarily the original store at Burton Way and Doheny Drive. We delivered groceries and liquor all over the west-side and when I got my drivers license (1960) I was recruited to be the vacation relief and back-up driver. I vaguely remember the Bel Air Sands going in but I don't remember exactly when but sometime before I got my license. Here's a goofy publicity shot announcing the opening but it is not dated, but still interesting in a kitschy kind of a way. I remember a story that went around about this place in the old days. Someone pointed out to me there was virtually no sign on the exterior. From the freeway, you couldn't see a name of any kind. So, the story goes, the place was built by one of the big chains (Holiday Inn when I heard the story) and in a major faux pas they had failed to note Bel Air had a very strict sign ordinance and were going to be prohibited from having any substantial corporate signage. As this played against their hidebound branding culture the hotel was sold off (maybe even before it opened) to the Bel Air Sands interests. I have no way of knowing if it's a true story but I did hear it several times over the years (Holiday Inn was interchangeable with other chains in the retelling). I remember a murder there in maybe '62 or '63 but I think you might safely say that about any semi-high profile hotel.

BEL AIR SANDS HOTEL OPENING CHARLES COBURN & WEIBEL WINE

eBay
Isn't it called the "Luxe" now?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 8:54 PM

Friday night, the entire route of the 30th Los Angeles Marathon was to be lit up by searchlights
to advertise the event and as a reminder of where roads would be closed for today's marathon.

This is a rendering of how that might look.

NBC Los Angeles

I was out Friday night, but I didn't see this happening and haven't seen any actual
photos of this as yet.

Unlike other cities, the Los Angeles Marathon has altered the route each year a bit.
This year it began at Dodger Stadium and started a half-hour earlier as a response
to the 93 degree temperatures predicted for today.

Getty Images

This is the view from Dodger Stadium in 1877, known as Mount Lookout, as drawn by an artist named Eli Sheldon Glover Full article HERE.

The Daily Star

The Daily Star reported: The drawing was executed from a point which presents a beautiful view of Los Angeles proper and the delightful and growing suburbs of East and West Los Angeles [present-day Lincoln Heights and University Park, respectively]. On the whole, it presents a truthful picture of the city looking south from the hill north of town, with the ocean and intervening objects in clear perspective.

Mt. Lookout overlooking "Sonoratown" in 1892.
USC Libraries

The Downtown Los Angeles skyline as seen from Mount Lookout in 1951.
USC Libraries - Los Angeles Examiner Collection

Though Dodger Stadium's construction eventually shaved some elevation off its summit, the truncated hill remains one of the best places to gaze at the downtown Los Angeles skyline. [...] Dodger fans -- Instagram users or otherwise -- can stand outside the top deck and recall the Herald's description of the site: "a beautiful mount of vision for those who delight in scenes of beauty."

at "blue hour"...

And speaking of Instagram, the latest list of 2014's most geotagged locations on Instagram photos:

1. Disneyland, Anaheim, CA
2. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, CA
3. Times Square, New York, NY
4. Siam Paragon shopping mall, Bangkok, Thailand
5. Gorky Park, Moscow, Russia
6. Musée du Louvre, Paris, France
7. Red Square, Moscow, Russia
8. Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
9. Yankee Stadium, New York, NY
10. The Dubai Mall, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/20...es_more_gl.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos