HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

View Poll Results: Umm? Who's gonna win?!?!
100 North Franklin Building 7 21.88%
Traxx 22 Tower 5 15.63%
Untitled 3 9.38%
Deck13 Office Tower 2 6.25%
Wacker Tower 4 12.50%
Untitled 0 0%
Untitled 3 9.38%
Q Building 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 7:28 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

SSP Competition: In Chicago Voting

Congratulation to Austin55 for winning the past competition, Canyon Bridge.

Now it's time for the In Chicago voting thread. At first this competition started out slow but in the end we got a fair amount of people. Again, no names will be put on the entries.

1. The 100 North Franklin Street Building. Modern Scandinavian simplicity meets Chicago School. This office building has 30 stories and is 427 ft (130 m) tall.

Renders:

Google Earth shots:

2. Traxx 22 Tower

3. Untitled

4. Deck 13 Office Tower
215m roof
42 stories

5. Wacker Tower

Description: I wanted to make something that screamed bad 1980's Postmodernism and offsetted the Sears Tower and 311 Wacker Drive. So this is the Wacker Tower, 1152' to the roof, 1295' to the spires. The entrance facing Northeast is a curved facade while the Southwest side is a mess of setbacks. It would stand in 3rd place as tallest in Chicago counting spires, 86 stories high. The building is completely office space, with an exception for the retail space on the ground floor.

6. Untitled

credit for last image http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch...ine_Hi-Res.jpg

7. Untitled

8. Q-Building

The Q-Building is a 63 story building with a height of 894 feet. The building is designed to be both a minimal distraction to the skyline but to draw attention from those who see it up-close. The building is a simple rectangle shape but the curved corners minimize the "square effect" of the building.

The Q-Building is located on Magnificent Mile.

The building takes up a small footprint which means more public space. This of course leads to smaller floorplates, but the columnless floors allow tenants to have a flexible environment. The base is clear glass to allow a maximum amount of light to enter and the 13'6" office floors are designed to allow light in but cool/warm air in.

The facade is over 90% glass with stainless-steel window frames, small "wings" on the side of the building which light up at night with LED lights, and horizontal tubes between floors.

All we can do now is VOTE!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 7:31 AM
<:

but wheres the poll aleks?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 7:37 AM
<:

beautiful entries!

i decided to vote #3 because its unique and modern, i love it.

I really like the rendering and modelling of the Q but im not gonna vote for it,. im sorry but Q tower really looks like the cheung kong center, even the facade details and the red logo on the top, its totally a rip-off.

Last edited by Skyscraper100; Mar 27, 2009 at 2:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 8:16 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Woops! Forgot poll!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 8:27 AM
<:

im gonna vote onthe poll now....

Last edited by Skyscraper100; Mar 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 1:28 PM

i went with the q tower,looks great in the 4th shot and on closer inspection it has quite alot of detail and could easily be built...out of all entries there are about 3 or 4 really strong entries...qtower gets the irish vote

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:05 PM

I went with building 1. It really fits the style of buildings in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 2:59 PM
i like stuff

I like wacky stuff so I chose number 3

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 3:25 PM

nice entries! not as much as i expected but nevertheless some great towers.

1. good work and great detail but overall too ordinary and a bit too small

2.too futuristic for me

3.nice idea but also too much

4.great tower but the presentation sucks ;-P

5.looks really good in the skyline but not one closer shot...however:my favorite

6.way too big but a great shape

7.brilliant sketchup skills but i can't say i like the tower

8.fabulous base and a great presentation but somehow it's only #2 for me

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Congratulation to Austin55 for winning the past competition, Canyon Bridge.
I thought Jahogs was the winner, but he couldn't choose this competition, since he had won two in a row. Anyways, great entries. I think this competition has had the best quality of entries of all the comp's I've seen here. Great job, everyone who took part!

I had a clear top three favorites. Choosing between them was hard. Here's my thoughts on the entries:

1. Okay.

2. Great futuristic vision, once again. I think it fits that site perfectly and I guess it fits the skyline as well, but the shots don't tell. Ground level work is best of all entries. This was at my top three favorites, but didn't get my vote, 'cause I fancy simpler and not so futuristic style.

3. This feels more like a giant sculpture than a building. Not my taste in architecture. That doesn't make it bad. It's a bold and creative vision.

4. Good design on its own, but the competition is too tough. The detail is great, but I would have liked to see some variance in the base compared to the rest of the facade. Anyways, it would be a good fit in Chicago.

5. Here's another of my top three favorites. Great addition to a great skyline! Very good counterpart for the soon-to-be Willis Tower. Unfortunately it's a bit too complex for my simple mind to get my vote. Best photoshopped shots in this comp!

6. A great design! Elegant detailing and nice shape. I think it's a bit too massive, though. If downsized, it would be a perfect fit in Chicago.

7. Beatiful design and a skillful model. A bit too futuristic and complex for my taste. In the skyline shot it seems a tad massive. I think this building would be perfect for a city on a beach in the southern hemisphere.

8. My favorite in the end. Simple, elegant and beatiful - just how I like them. This might be what Mies van der Rohe's (my favorite architect) buildings looked, if he lived today. The detailing is astonishing and it looks very good in the skyline. This gets my vote.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 2:28 AM
<:

the one who wins will decide whats the nwxt comp right?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 3:09 AM

My thoughts on the first few

1-Simple, pretty cool, funky, well built

2 and 3, these are both very nicely modeled and rendered, but to funky for my taste.

4. Simple, its ok

5. Hmm, very postmodern, almost to much for me, I think it would have been nice closer to Sears.

6. Umm, this is the worst one, total fail. I wonder who made it?

7. Wow, very nice, lots of cool curves and edges. Looks "stealth".

8. This is awesome, probably the most detialed entry, its just not very original, looks to much like the Chueng Kong.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 12:21 AM
i like stuff

has anybody ever thought about putting the actual poll in the skybar?
it seems like there could be a lot more votes there and more people may want to get involved in the future if it was there

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 2:14 AM
<:

^^ great idea!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 3:40 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I haven't thought about it but it wouldn't work. Well, we might get more voters, but it just doesn't make sense. It would be like putting the Photocontest Threads on the skybar, it just wouldn't really fit.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 4:53 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Okayy, here's my official rating! And although we didn't have as many people enter as we originally hoped, we got some good models out of this comp!

1. Good building. I had mixed feelings about it. It's very realistic, clean, and well cut! I like that it's not too modern, reminds me of something that would be built in the 80's or 90's. This is why this was my first choice.

2. I actually like it a lot. The roof needs a little work, and yes, it does look very futuristic but the base is pretty nice and the overall shape looks good too. Looks like a very modern 1980's post-modern building. This was my second choice.

3. I like the concept, but the way the boxes are laid out didn't convince me enough. Also, maybe another location would be nice.

4. Simple, but awesome. I like the color, I like the simplicity of it. It's pretty good! BUT! It needs base work, badly. I like the location, it's almost as if it was meant to be a modern twin of the NBC Tower.

5. I like the design, simple and elegant. I really like the way it looks from the back side, but the front could've looked better. Good location and good design. Third choice, it was pretty hard choosing my top three!

6. I like this building and I think it would've been one of my favorite three is if was downscaled a lot. It's too fat and tall for the area, but then again, it could just be the pictures.

7. I like the funky shape but it looked too fat. Something less sharp and more curvy would've looked better. Or is the white, solid parts were thinner and more even. I liked this a lot too.

8. Looks good and yes, it does remind me of a modern Mies!

So anyways, the poll closes on Monday and yeah! Btw, I think that after this comp I'll take a break because Chemistry, US History, LA, these three classes make up like 80% of my homework! And it drives me nuts! So I'll have to focus on school work.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 6:46 AM
i like stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
I haven't thought about it but it wouldn't work. Well, we might get more voters, but it just doesn't make sense. It would be like putting the Photocontest Threads on the skybar, it just wouldn't really fit.
I think it would work, I feel like there might be more insight in how to improve our projects which will ultimately make us better designers I really dont see why it wouldn't work, the people in skybar understand architecture just as much as we do

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 9:25 AM

i think you have a point but instead of putting the voting poll in the skybar , why not just alert or advertise comps and voting dates in other sections.people might take a look.plus i think sketchup being in a section called miscellaneous sucks,who wants to look through miscellaneous....but at the end of the day i agree with the way the voting went above because you can see who made the effort........boo to the the word micellaneous,get rid or it we deserve a better section name!!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 1:42 AM
<:

when is the deadline of voting? its not finished yet?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 2:05 AM

Wacker Tower was my pick, In my mind seems very approprate for Chicago. Is not showing the username a new rule in the voting?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup