HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerx View Post
Providing the reaction rails perhaps?
That's just a piece of metal bolted to the middle of the track. Nothing special - can be easily made to spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Just reading all these posts. So essentially, by "early 2012", all those prep work (i.e. North Road widening, CPR track relocating) will start happening and once the contract is awarded by summer, construction of the actual Evergreen Line will begin shortly after?

Am I misinterpreting or misreading anything? So essentially starting "early 2012", we'll be seeing some actual digging, physical signs of progress and all?

Just need to be sure if I got this right...

Sounds right.
That work is "by others" - so they'll be under separate tender and given the "small" scope of each project, can probably be awarded quickly.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:57 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

I would say within 4-5 months we should see some action!

Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 11:20 AM

Here are some interesting tidbits in the summary of the scope of the project in the RFP.

Quote:
SUMMARY DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION SCOPE
 Obtaining necessary permits, approvals and authorizations, including those required pursuant to applicable federal and provincial regulatory requirements and legislation
 Site preparation including, where applicable, demolition of existing buildings
 Design and Construction of Guideway along the approximately 11-kilometre-long Alignment, including a combination of elevated and at-grade Guideway for approximately nine kilometres and approximately two kilometres through Bored Tunnel
 Design and Construction of an expansion of the existing Lougheed Town Centre Station and five new Stations and associated facilities
Design and Construction of a Vehicle Storage Facility
 Design, supply, installation and integration of Systems
 Road and other civil works required to accommodate the Project
 Utility relocations and other Utility Work
 Traffic Management, including maintenance of residential and commercial access along the Alignment
 Integration of the Evergreen Line with the Existing SkyTrain System including the existing Systems and the Existing SkyTrain System vehicle fleet
 Testing, commissioning and integration of all Evergreen Line components including necessary coordination with TransLink personnel
So the 3 platform station at Lougheed is for sure. And a storage facility? It also mentions that they need to plan for 3 potential future stations. Hmmmm, I wonder where they are.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 3:19 PM

It sounds like the Columbia to Lougheed section will be a shuttle.

I wopnder if the expo Line serice in 2016 shorrt trurns at Metrotown?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Sigh. Canada Line just feels so corporate and non Vancouver.
Umm, why exactly?

Because it doesn't run on elf tears and unicorn farts?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:43 PM

Any reason why they wouldn't construct the station with the millennium spur ending in the middle allowing passengers to disembark from either side of the train to go into Coquitlam or Vancouver?

In this sort of configuration:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry if it has already been discussed but I don't remember seeing anything about it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 4:45 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Here are some interesting tidbits in the summary of the scope of the project in the RFP.

So the 3 platform station at Lougheed is for sure. And a storage facility? It also mentions that they need to plan for 3 potential future stations. Hmmmm, I wonder where they are.
The PDFs showed reserved spots in West Port Moody, Falcon, and Lincoln

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:08 PM
Mac User

Quote:
Sigh. Canada Line just feels so corporate and non Vancouver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Umm, why exactly?

Because it doesn't run on elf tears and unicorn farts?
The Canada Line branding doesn't fit. The colour scheme, typography, symbols and information design don't conform to Trans-Links standards. I understand Canada Line is operated by a separate company but it's still part of Trans-link and the look and feel should seamlessly integrate with the rest of the system. The Canada Line has a very conservative and bland look.

Not to mention the stations were built to minimum standards. All stations look identical, but the real issue is the platforms are too short to accommodate future expansion and most stations only have up escalators, which is a pain especially for airport travellers with luggage.

At the end of the day the line is functional and as a regular user I'm very happy with it for the most part, but some aspects could be better.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
The Canada Line branding doesn't fit. The colour scheme, typography, symbols and information design don't conform to Trans-Links standards. I understand Canada Line is operated by a separate company but it's still part of Trans-link and the look and feel should seamlessly integrate with the rest of the system. The Canada Line has a very conservative and bland look.

Not to mention the stations were built to minimum standards. All stations look identical, but the real issue is the platforms are too short to accommodate future expansion and most stations only have up escalators, which is a pain especially for airport travellers with luggage.

At the end of the day the line is functional and as a regular user I'm very happy with it for the most part, but some aspects could be better.
The short stations are un-Vancouver? The city where small is somehow holy? Say it isn't so!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:

I use the Canada Line everyday now, and I actually love it! To me the stations are clean and very functional, all I want from a station! (trust me, the vast majority of metro stations in the world are conservative / bland, look at any JR or Hankyu station in Japan).

I actually prefer the rolling stock (for someone over 6 feet tall the leg room is great and the wider cars make it feel far more comfortable physiologically IMO)

As for capacity, I am not worried at all, I believe that it has been shown on here several times that ridership can comfortably nearly triple if the third C cars are added and the trains are run at their minimal headways (of course this will require the ordering of more A/B cars as well).

Also, not having down escalators is quite common on most metros i have ridden, unless they are hub stations. With that said, outside of the airport stations, Bridgeport, Waterfront and Vancouver City Centre should all have down escalators, the rest don't need them, the elevators are enough. (maybe Broadway when the M line is extended and it becomes a true hub).

Overall i would give the C-line a score of 8 out of 10, which is pretty good. (comparatively I would only give Seattle's new LRT line a 5 out of 10)

In fact, nothing sucks more now than transferring at Waterfront form a nice C-Line car to shitty old Mark 1 Expo line car with layers of newspapers thrown throughout it. (that being said I do love the new Mark 2 cars, and would rank them on par with the C-Line cars).

just my 2 cents, i feel when it comes to mass transit we get spoiled in Metro Vancouver (especially in North American terms). The C-Line is better and more "big city" IMO than any of the new LRT projects built throughout the US.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:42 PM

Anyways, back on track, it looks like to me according the this diagram that Officedweller posted that the M line will not be a shuttle between Columbia and Lougheed but will interline with the Expo Line and run from Waterfront to Lougheed.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 7:49 PM

If the minimum headways are 90s on the c line than capacity won't be an issue for a while. even 108s (combined e&M line would be a 65+ % increase in capacity, so the short platforms are not that much of a problem.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Any reason why they wouldn't construct the station with the millennium spur ending in the middle allowing passengers to disembark from either side of the train to go into Coquitlam or Vancouver?

In this sort of configuration:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry if it has already been discussed but I don't remember seeing anything about it.
That would function well for transfers in both directions, but would require them to build over/demolish the pre-built north guideway and switch (which are currently configured for a "side platform" arrangement.

Your arrangement would also require criss-crossing of trains east of the station (although the original plans for the routings also involved criss-crossing of trains, so that may not be a big deal).

The RFP asked for innovation in the bids - so maybe (hopefully) one of the proponents will suggest this.
One aspect I would hope they preserve is the ability to run through trains bteween New West and VCC-Clark.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 8:16 PM
loafing in lotusland

agreed od,

The m-Line should still be capable of running through to New West.

It adds flexibility if something happens on the EG Line.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
agreed od,

The m-Line should still be capable of running through to New West.

It adds flexibility if something happens on the EG Line.
The proposed 'Coquitlam' platform (unfinished north platform) has this in mind. Current VCC-bound trains will still use that inbound track, it will be fed by the transversed train from North Road, and when needed, by the current alignment from Braid.

For Douglas and/or Braid bound trains, it is still served with existing alignment. For Douglas, it'll level cross (both the VCC track and into the side platform track) at the switches in place. Should it continue to Braid, it'll maintain the current alignment.

That brings, in my mind, two points. 1st, the current alignment requires a double switch of the trains to shunt properly at the platform (I believe OD illustrated this waaaay back in the thread). A new switch should be installed to eliminate this double switching.

2nd, passengers waiting on the 'Millenium' platform will have to be aware of the trains coming from both directions - the usual one from Braid, and in certain situations, coming from Production Way.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Every C-Line station has elevators between the street level and the mezzanine, and between the mezzanine and the platforms.

There's no excuse for people to *clunk* clunk *clunk* their over-stuffed heavy suitcases down the stairs, or clog up the escalators so nobody can get past them.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:25 PM

2016? Wow.
I'd love to get a shirt made with all of the various 'promised' completion dates for this skytrain line...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:46 PM

global reported things will start going summer 2012, ie when we will finally see some actual work starting

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 10:52 PM
Mac User

I wasn't criticizing the functionality of the Canada Line, only the inconsistant branding, short platforms and lack of escalators. I don't get the small being holy in Vancouver reference, but I don't agree that an extra Canada Line car will meet growing demand long term I think the short platforms were short sighted. My experience having lived in Europe is that bland stations is not the norm, I appreciate how the Millenium Line stations integrate well with the neighbourboods. I hope the Evergreen Line looks and feels more like the Millenium Line than the Canada Line.

Last edited by crazyjoeda; Nov 11, 2011 at 1:48 AM. Reason: Correcting iPhone auto correct error, I have both lived and loved in Europe but in this post I was referring to living there.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 11:40 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Separate tenders will be issued in the near future for advance works such as road widening,
building removal, moving utilities such as electrical and natural gas lines and the relocation of
CP Rail tracks. In preparation for construction, advance works are expected to start in early
Sounds encouraging!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure