HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 6:01 PM

The Comin' Home Series part 1... Benton, AR

What better way to start the new year than to look back at where you came from. My hometown and birthplace, Benton Arkansas.

This is a shot from my grandparent's house of Ralph Bunche park. Ralph Bunche is the town's black community (yes it is still very segregated), but ironically is some of the best real estate in Central Arkansas. Huge lots, built on a hill that overlooks the rest of the city.

My "first" home

Well anyway, on to what's important... Benton has slowly transitioned itself from a small, backward southern town into one of Little Rock's premier suburbs. Target, Kohl's, Old Navy, Applebee's it's all right here, and all built in the last five years. But what's special about Benton is the quiet little downtown that's hanging on to life somehow.

The Gann house and Gann museum... great places to learn the history of Benton and Saline County

The Royal Theater... eventhough it's went through continuous changes, it's been fully in operation since the 1920s. Today, it is the home of a Community Theater troupe.

I'm guessing that this used to be a theater as well. When I was growing up, this was the Saline County Library. I'd love to see it restored as a theater again.

It's funny to me how much the Republicans advertise their dominance...

Yet the Democrats just want to hide away in a corner

First Methodist of course

Well thanks for checking out my hometown. I'll leave you with the iconic small town symbol.... the Saline County Courthouse

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 6:15 PM
Austinite

Thanks for sharing! Benton is a quaint southern town. I've passed through many times on the interstate, but never ventured into the heart of the city. I really like that courthouse.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 7:52 PM

Cool photos. I love that Gann House. In the fourth photo from the bottom, what's the name of that store on the right hand side? I can't make out the name - kinda looks like Gringle's or something. Is that a local department store?

Also, did anyone notice the far left hand side of the courthouse photo? Looks like Benton has a smaller version of Austin's Zilker Christmas Tree.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 11:21 PM

Correct, it's Gingles'... that store has been open since the 30s or 40s.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 12:15 AM
Remember

Cool. Always interesting to see smaller towns we don't see often.

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful. - Edward R. Murrow

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 11:56 PM

Looks like an interesting place. I love the shot of the courthouse. Nice pics.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:09 AM

I love it. Reminds of Van Buren but a lot of stuff needs a fresh coat of paint. By the way I love your signature 'In Houston, we like our urban planning the way we like our music... CHOPPED and SCREWED.' :lol:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral