HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 9:54 PM

A bit of Phoenix nostalgia...

Ran across these on Flickr and I didn't recall ever seeing these particular ones before. Oh if Phoenix could just get it's downtown to be what it once was...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 9:59 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Those are some lovely drawings, I wish I could travel back in time and check it out. Though I've never heard the South Mountain range referred to as "The Salt River mountains", does anyone know if thats their actual name?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 6:00 PM

I want everyone to look at how stately and serene the palms look. Admittedly, the stumpy type is not my personal favorite, but they actually do look pretty nice. Green downtown is not so bad after all.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 7:30 PM

I love those pictures. Reminds me of a "kinder and gentler" time (my youth). The orange groves in front of Camelback take me back to my first home at 5431 E. Exeter Blvd, about a half mile south of Camelback Road.

My dad bought that house brand new for $29,000 in 1959 and it is still there, but today they are scraping them off and building $3-$5 million mansions. The neighborhood was brand new at the time and represented the eastern most extreme boundary of Phoenix. There was a bit of a gap between Phoenix and Scottsdale at the time.

Across the street, on the north side of Exeter, it was Orange groves all the way north to Camelback Road. We used to spend all day in there playing "army" and "fort". What a great place to grow up!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 11:22 PM
I like this much better

Kill me if I ever have to wear a suit in Phx in the summer.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 11:46 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Also speaking of Phoenix nostalgia, on AMC last night as I was falling asleep I was sort of half watching "The Gauntlet" with Clint Eastwood where he's on the run and trying to make it to Phoenix. Ill have to rent it sometime to check it out more, but there was definitely a shot of him driving by the Federal Building downtown. Also, in one scene he's talking on the phone about the route he's going to take to City Hall and says "Im going to take the 7th Avenue exit, go over Mesa Rd, then turn on Adams" or something. I thought it was interesting that the screen writer just made up "Mesa Rd", though I suppose in 1977 it wasn't possible to look up Google Maps and be super accurate.

EDIT: VVV I never saw "Bad Santa" though I know it took place in Phx, was there a particular reference you're referring to?

Last edited by HooverDam; Oct 17, 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 12:44 AM
I like this much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Also speaking of Phoenix nostalgia, on AMC last night as I was falling asleep I was sort of half watching "The Gauntlet" with Clint Eastwood where he's on the run and trying to make it to Phoenix. Ill have to rent it sometime to check it out more, but there was definitely a shot of him driving by the Federal Building downtown. Also, in one scene he's talking on the phone about the route he's going to take to City Hall and says "Im going to take the 7th Avenue exit, go over Mesa Rd, then turn on Adams" or something. I thought it was interesting that the screen writer just made up "Mesa Rd", though I suppose in 1977 it wasn't possible to look up Google Maps and be super accurate.
My favorite PHX movie reference was in Bad Santa.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest