HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 3:35 AM

I think Miami is trying for the South American or Brazilian look with all of the tropical towers.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 3:43 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I think Miami is trying for the South American or Brazilian look with all of the tropical towers.
That influence is very strong here, so I'm not surprised! The founders of the prestigious Miami architectural firm Arquitectonica are from Peru. They now have projects all over the world as well as all over Miami. They like the way I capture their projects, which is how I got to be one of the photographers working on Miami the Magic City.

This was my first experience of shooting from a boat, and needless to say, it is not easy shooting a guy on the move on the water when you're on the move yourself on a rocky boat. Therefore, this first shot is the shot of the day. I didn't know I had actually pulled it off until I downloaded the pics at home and displayed this on my flat screen. I'm sure the neighbors heard me! "WOW!!! YES!!! YES!!!"

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/...343afcc9_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3151/...85f24d8f_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/...fc8c15aa_b.jpg

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 3:55 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

This one I overlooked in the first run-through. This is Miami Beach in front of Continuum from out at sea on Blaster before it turns back inland.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/...6128eab3_b.jpg

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 9:25 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 6:20 PM
Zazi Dans le Miami Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
The founders of the prestigious Miami architectural firm Arquitectonica are from Peru. They now have projects all over the world as well as all over Miami. They like the way I capture their projects, which is how I got to be one of the photographers working on Miami the Magic City.

\[/IMG]
I am a big fan of that firm, however , it seems that Miami is the only city getting tropical looking buildings.

All of their buildings around the world (Peru, Argentina, China, US, Italy?, New York, etc..) are far from being tropical.

Why can't we have good looking office towers? I don't know, maybe that's the language of the city, but again, Wachovia, Bank Of America, ONE fOUR SEASONS, ETC.. are far from looking tropical.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 2:56 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMISKYLINE View Post
I am a big fan of that firm, however , it seems that Miami is the only city getting tropical looking buildings.

All of their buildings around the world (Peru, Argentina, China, US, Italy?, New York, etc..) are far from being tropical.

Why can't we have good looking office towers? I don't know, maybe that's the language of the city, but again, Wachovia, Bank Of America, ONE fOUR SEASONS, ETC.. are far from looking tropical.
This is true, but I think they still fit in well with the new architecture and were ahead of their time.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/...041b8ab6_b.jpg

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 1:47 PM
Zazi Dans le Miami Metro

BTW, how could we classify the Icon complex?

It is not tropical, yet it is not an office looking building. Doesn't look like a hotel or a residencial tower.

Its not avant-garde and still looks good on both cold and hot climates. It fits well in New York, Buenos Aires, Lima, Santiago, London, Moscow, La defense- Paris (especially this one) and also Malasya, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sao Paolo, etc..

Never seemed something like this in America.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 5:50 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
BTW, how could we classify the Icon complex?

It is not tropical, yet it is not an office looking building. Doesn't look like a hotel or a residencial tower.

Its not avant-garde and still looks good on both cold and hot climates. It fits well in New York, Buenos Aires, Lima, Santiago, London, Moscow, La defense- Paris (especially this one) and also Malasya, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sao Paolo, etc..

Never seemed something like this in America.
Icon Brickell is in a class by itself. I have this pic up as my wallpaper now with Plaza at Brickell beyond to the left of it. I like that perspective. Icon Brickell turned out a lot better than I expected. Thought it was kind of bland-looking from the renderings, but I don't feel that way anymore.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/...5909d20a_b.jpg

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Sep 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 9:23 PM
Zazi Dans le Miami Metro

Back in 2004 ( yeah, that old) I don't know if you remember, the Miami Herald came up with a poster of Icon Bricell. Back then I did not know its name. I thought it was going to be taller though.

Gosh, I just love that building.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 9:30 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Great pix, I got to tour some of those buildings including Icon last spring. Its looking really good down there.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 10:30 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Great pix, I got to tour some of those buildings including Icon last spring. Its looking really good down there.

Thanks! I don't copy anybody elses pics of Miami anymore. I just go out and make my own. All of these, including the aerials were done by me just this summer after not owning a camera in 25 years. Having studied skyscraper history and architecture as a hobby for over 30 years, I finally decided to go out and capture the new Miami my way. I succeeded beyond anything I could have ever imagined. I never saw myself taking shots like these myself one day until I actually did it. It's like I never imagined myself flying to another country just to go scuba diving until I actually started doing it. Now this summer I actually did my own aerials? It's like having an out-of-body experience. I can't believe it's me. I look at my own pics and think somebody else did them, but it's me alright.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 10:32 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Back in 2004 ( yeah, that old) I don't know if you remember, the Miami Herald came up with a poster of Icon Bricell. Back then I did not know its name. I thought it was going to be taller though.

Gosh, I just love that building.
All 3 Icons were originally planned at just over 600 feet tall.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 11:02 PM

I think people shouldn't bash these beautiful pictures but should be happy someone is posting this many. They all look good to me. I'm don't think a lot of creativity went into some of these but I still love a big great skyline being from a small city I wish I had this many oppurtunities to take these pics. Great pics aren't that hard to take if you love what you are doing.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 11:05 PM
Zazi Dans le Miami Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1964 View Post
I think people shouldn't bash these beautiful pictures but should be happy someone is posting this many. They all look good to me. I'm don't think a lot of creativity went into some of these but I still love a big great skyline being from a small city I wish I had this many oppurtunities to take these pics. Great pics aren't that hard to take if you love what you are doing.

......And.......

who is bashing these pictures?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 11:47 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket1964 View Post
It does take an artistic eye to know what to shoot and when to shoot it and from what angles to shoot it. There is often creativity where noncreative people don't see it. But my 30 years of studying skyscraper architecture and history as a hobby and studying postcards and picture books for all this time as well as my artistic eye all do show up in many these photos. My photos look completely different from the guy who told me about the camera I use. I do have some idea of what I want to achieve and usually I'm able to do it when I take a photograph. That is why I have a prestigious architectural firm interested in my work, and why they referred me to a renowned Miami historian, and why the booking agent for the ultralight operation wanted to use some of my photographs on the ultralight website. Some thought goes into every pic I post whether anybody sees the method in the madness or not. If an architectural firm asked me to go out and shoot a project. I know how to make that project look as powerful and dynamic and as beautiful as it can look. Not everybody can do that. Most people just point and shoot, and sometimes, they get lucky.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
......And.......

who is bashing these pictures?
I mis-typed. It should have read "bashing the architecture". If you can make so-so buildings look great than all the better. Either way, I am happy to see great photos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos