HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:23 AM
ARTchitecture

Probably because the only two stations actually under construction at the moment are the two being added to the existing Trillium Line work? Though I'm not sure if that's actually the case. Everything else going on for phase 2 is just utility relocation work right now. If we're gonna consider that as "construction," then Calgary would have 14 as well.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Probably because the only two stations actually under construction at the moment are the two being added to the existing Trillium Line work? Though I'm not sure if that's actually the case. Everything else going on for phase 2 is just utility relocation work right now. If we're gonna consider that as "construction," then Calgary would have 14 as well.
Frankly, I don't trust any of the report. It refers to -5 for Light Metro for Toronto as UC. I presume that this is referring to the Scarborough RT but there is no replacement going on at the present time.

Phase 2 in Ottawa is under preliminary construction. It is not just utility relocation. There is real construction going on. I drove by some of the work on new train overpasses today. This will accelerate once the 2020 construction season begins. The two stations on the existing Trillium Line are not to be built until the line is shutdown in May. We have to understand that this project, while all one package, will be constructed by a plan. Not everything is being built at exactly the same time. But because it is being funded all together, the entire project should be considered as under construction.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:54 AM
ARTchitecture

Lol ok. I literally said in my post that a guy on another forum drew it up. Take from it what you will, or nothing at all. Doesn't matter the slightest

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:33 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 18, 2020 at 1:39 AM. Reason: Updated link

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
there is no construction going on within the current line until it shuts down in may. The airport and other areas south of South Keys are in the works thoug.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:44 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 18, 2020 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:00 PM

Has anybody seen the Metrolinx Crosstown commercial with awkward teens talking about going through puberty referencing the Eglington Crosstown? It's a great ad I'm trying to find it.

Metrolinx puts out some great ads, too bad they can't stay on schedual.

From last Feb
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:09 PM

Found them.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:12 PM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:12 PM

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 2:39 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 18, 2020 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Montreal's REM project will change the landscape of transit in the city, province, and even in the whole country, and we made a video detailing why! Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/6C3qvq0bhm8
C'est très bien expliqué! Je pense que tu va être très intéressé par le projet de réseau de transport structurant de Québec (Incluant un Tramway) qui sera également intégré au futur projet autoroutier de 3e lien entre les deux rives afin de relier Québec et Lévis du côté sud.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 5:09 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
C'est très bien expliqué! Je pense que tu va être très intéressé par le projet de réseau de transport structurant de Québec (Incluant un Tramway) qui sera également intégré au futur projet autoroutier de 3e lien entre les deux rives afin de relier Québec et Lévis du côté sud.
Don't think he speaks french

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Montreal's REM project will change the landscape of transit in the city, province, and even in the whole country, and we made a video detailing why! Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/6C3qvq0bhm8
Excellent video. Absolutely correct: why extend the Montreal Metro or the Toronto subway, with their giant trains and giant stations when you could just build a lighter system and, when that reaches capacity, build another line that covers another part of the same catchment area?

I think both the Toronto subway and, especially, the Zmontreal Metro are obsolete tech and, if they were to build new lines from scratch, they wouldn’t build them like that anymore.

No wonder they’re kicking the can down the road with the Scarborough subway extension and Yonge north extensions. The writing was on the wall when the Ford government decided to kill the DRL (traditional subway tech) for the Ontario line (light metro).

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 6:35 PM
Your SSP Comical Relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Ça me semble que le 3e lien ne sera pas une autoroute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Don't think he speaks french
Yea I was like, “Huh I didn’t know Reece speaks French too.”
Seriously though, FrAnKs, what’s with you replying in French when we comment in English and replying in English when we comment in French these days... Usually I don’t call people out for these kinds of things.
Disclaimer: Most of it is pure pie in the sky, so there's no need to be up in the arms about it <unless you own properties along Whiteshell (MB) - Shabaqua Corners and/or Sault Sainte Marie - Renfrew Corridor(s)>.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 7:12 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Excellent video. Absolutely correct: why extend the Montreal Metro or the Toronto subway, with their giant trains and giant stations when you could just build a lighter system and, when that reaches capacity, build another line that covers another part of the same catchment area?

I think both the Toronto subway and, especially, the Zmontreal Metro are obsolete tech and, if they were to build new lines from scratch, they wouldn’t build them like that anymore.

No wonder they’re kicking the can down the road with the Scarborough subway extension and Yonge north extensions. The writing was on the wall when the Ford government decided to kill the DRL (traditional subway tech) for the Ontario line (light metro).
Absolutely. The Ontario Line will hopefully get built fast enough to take the urgency off the over crowding and lack of inner-city coverage, and hopefully as soon as it opens, another line will start construction. There's no reason why a city/metro area with a constant high level of growth shouldn't continually have large scale transit projects in the works to cope with it. Expecting to build something perfect enough in terms of capacity and function that you're all set for 50 or 100 years and you can just sit back take a break isn't realistic.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

If that is the case, what would they be using?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Absolutely. The Ontario Line will hopefully get built fast enough to take the urgency off the over crowding and lack of inner-city coverage, and hopefully as soon as it opens, another line will start construction. There's no reason why a city/metro area with a constant high level of growth shouldn't continually have large scale transit projects in the works to cope with it. Expecting to build something perfect enough in terms of capacity and function that you're all set for 50 or 100 years and you can just sit back take a break isn't realistic.
I think most major cities should always have lines under construction. So, for example, once the tunnel has been bored, they move that crew to another line to bore the tunnel. Once tracks are down, the crew move to another line to lay track.

If this were done for the next 20 years, we might finally have enough transit for the major cities. In a way, ignoring the current issues, Ottawa almost is doing it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Ça me semble que le 3e lien ne sera pas une autoroute.
Oui oui, il y aura 4 voies autoroutières reliées à l'A973 au nord et l'A20 au sud et dans le même tube, tu aura du transport en commun, c'est ce qui a été présenté par le ministère des transports.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Yea I was like, “Huh I didn’t know Reece speaks French too.”
Seriously though, FrAnKs, what’s with you replying in French when we comment in English and replying in English when we comment in French these days... Usually I don’t call people out for these kinds of things.
I rarely do that but I didn't felt to write in English this morning lol Tho I don't think it's too bad these days when there are alot of online translators/technologies lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada