HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 11:12 PM

^^

while i agree that the 2.5 space per unit is excessive, in this case it is warranted to help increase the use of the subway. even though the macarthur park station is used pretty extensively, this is room for more people.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 7:02 AM

^ Actually...it's more like 1 space per unit. 100 spaces will be for Metro patrons and you have to think about 43 spaces will be used for retail parking.

I still agree..pretty darn high for "TOD". Plus, I get pretty annoyed that LA still builds trains for cars and not people. We can't keep using precious space for parking garages. We need to build more apartments/homes/businesses for people to use the Metro system..not automobile drivers.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:20 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Expo Line - Phase 1

From the western edge in Culver City about 2 weeks ago. Crossing the intersection of Jefferson and National right over Ballona Creek.

Coming back down from the crossing.

Then going back up to cross over National again near the intersection with Washington. This shot is looking east towards Ballona Creek from National.

Looks like it will stay elevated all the way over Washington and Venice. This is looking west from the same spot on National, just southeast of the intersection of Washington and National.

"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:25 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Gateway Art Tower

And right across the street from the Expo Line construction is Eric Owen Moss's crazy Gateway Art Tower. This is all down the street from my office, so I've been watching it go up for over 2 years now.

"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:38 AM
Pacific Wonderland

I have pictures just like yours from 2-3 months ago, they still haven't opened or finished it yet?

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 6:41 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Nope. It's been more or less dormant for a few months. Still has the fencing around it and looks, well, unfinished. But they've had a few periods during the construction where they seemed to pause for a few months, so it's nothing too out of the ordinary, really. Unless you count the entire structure as out of the ordinary. For which you wouldn't be wrong...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 7:46 AM

I am really curious what kind of TODs and other pedestrian oriented linkages Culver City plans on doing to really take advantage of their future light rail station. (BTW, what color are they going to designate the Expo Line since it'll be combined with the future Eastside Gold Line to Boyle Heights?)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 1:23 PM

^ I think Aqua is the automatic choice.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 2:35 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I do believe JDR is right. All indications I've seen are still an aqua color. Station canopies even have an aqua theme to them.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Wasn't Expo going to be the called the "aqua line" before all the yada, yada?

btw, I am beginning to think that Eric is done with the tower. That's it. There will be occasional changes of fencing or moving a truck around but that's part of the art object/process/experience.

Gives CC a European kind of vibe. They may turn into a fun and funky neighborhood with some international appeal.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 6:10 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

If they call the expo line the "Expo Line" as its official name, then they might as well name all the other lines based on where they go like in London. Probably not the most efficient naming system for metros (I like numerical and color codes) but might as well be consistent if that is what ends up happening. Otherwise they should start calling it the "Aqua Line" so that they aren't sending mixed messages and confuse people.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
If they call the expo line the "Expo Line" as its official name, then they might as well name all the other lines based on where they go like in London. Probably not the most efficient naming system for metros (I like numerical and color codes) but might as well be consistent if that is what ends up happening. Otherwise they should start calling it the "Aqua Line" so that they aren't sending mixed messages and confuse people.
Yeah, I know Aqua Line was initially the first color designated for the Expo Line, but Metro board members couldn't agree on a color to go with. I remember Bernard Parks wanted to call it the Rose Line for going past the Rose Garden (even though Pasadena is known more for being the "City of Roses").

Anyway, as we inch closer to the opening of the "Expo Line," I would hope that they (Metro) figure it out BEFORE the opening of the line and start pushing a new ad campaign to promote the decided color.

I personally think Aqua is a perfect color since it'll eventually end up in Santa Monica and the beach. That also means that the Gold Line Eastside Extension through East LA will be renamed as the Aqua Line when the Downtown Connector is completed.

This also leads to the question of what color will be REMOVED from the system since the Pasadena to Long Beach line will be either Gold or Blue.

We'll have essentially 6 lines in operation within the next decade possibly:

1) Aqua Line - From Santa Monica to East LA

2) Blue or Gold Line - From Long Beach to Azusa

3) Red Line - Union Station to North Hollywood

4) Purple Line - Union Station to Brentwood (possibly Santa Monica as well)

5) Green Line - Norwalk to LAX?

6) Crenshaw Line - Maybe this line can be renamed the Gold or Blue Line?

Am I missing anything?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Yeah, I know Aqua Line was initially the first color designated for the Expo Line, but Metro board members couldn't agree on a color to go with. I remember Bernard Parks wanted to call it the Rose Line for going past the Rose Garden (even though Pasadena is known more for being the "City of Roses").

Anyway, as we inch closer to the opening of the "Expo Line," I would hope that they (Metro) figure it out BEFORE the opening of the line and start pushing a new ad campaign to promote the decided color.

I personally think Aqua is a perfect color since it'll eventually end up in Santa Monica and the beach. That also means that the Gold Line Eastside Extension through East LA will be renamed as the Aqua Line when the Downtown Connector is completed.

This also leads to the question of what color will be REMOVED from the system since the Pasadena to Long Beach line will be either Gold or Blue.

We'll have essentially 6 lines in operation within the next decade possibly:

1) Aqua Line - From Santa Monica to East LA

2) Blue or Gold Line - From Long Beach to Azusa

3) Red Line - Union Station to North Hollywood

4) Purple Line - Union Station to Brentwood (possibly Santa Monica as well)

5) Green Line - Norwalk to LAX?

6) Crenshaw Line - Maybe this line can be renamed the Gold or Blue Line?

Am I missing anything?
wasn't the original blue line supposed to be from long beach to pasadena? so naming the pasadena leg blue would stay with the original plans of the mta.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 12:54 AM

Azusa is further East of Pasadena. They'll use the same ROW.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 2:06 AM

I'm hoping in time they just switch to letters and or numbers. There's only so many colors that don't sound ridiculous. What will we call the reseda line? crenshaw line? sepulveda line? van nuys line? santa ana line?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:45 AM

Metro has stated several times that they will likely go to either letters or numbers when the time is right, but when that time is no one knows. To me if you know that you will most likely do that anyway, then the sooner the better. Maybe they will decide to keep the same colors on the maps and just phase in the numbers or letters.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:48 AM
BANNED

i prefer names instead of letters or numbers. more placemaking

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 3:02 AM

^ The Gold Line already has a long name

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 3:30 AM

It's already been decided by Metro back in 2007 that the official name is "Expo Line". The Aqua Line was killed by Bernard Parks, and the Rose Line never saw the light of day.

Expect the next reorganization of lines to be in 2019 when the Connector opens. Just recently, on the Metro Source it was commented from Metro officials that the line references will change. Expo Line will be the name until 2019..after that I can see Expo going away and we only having the Blue and Gold light rail lines going through downtown (outside of Red and Purple subway lines)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 6:27 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

London's system works just fine with names, New York's works just fine with a number and letter system. For me the naming convention is not nearly as important as getting a working, comprehensive, and usable rail mass transit system in place. Once we have that, we can worry about how/what to name the lines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations