HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 7:53 PM

i fail to see how hillside homes 1000 feet up and 1/2 a mile away will have their views obstructed or ruined. in fact, this will improve their views. these nimbys are just being misled by greed and robert silverstein or whatever the lawyers name is

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:12 PM

Right, I was just talking about the idea of property value in the abstract. I have no idea where posters on this site are seeing these complaints. Without some context about which people are complaining, who they are complaining to, and what they are complaining about, it's hard for me to really comment either way. I would just advise against painting all suspected NIMBY's with one broad brush, which tends to be a popular pastime of urbanophiles (i.e. if you don't like a project, screw you, you're automatically a NIMBY). Perhaps they do have legitimate concerns, I'd just need to know more info.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Complaints dealing with hillside views of Hollywood should be laughed out of any community meeting. But most complaints I read about in the news almost always have to do with traffic congestion and urban blight (because we gotta preserve the charm of chain link fences and surface parking lots). That's why the Casden project near the future Expo extension got shrunk by more than half.

The longer I live in LA without a car, the less I'm likely to sympathize with the complaints of car drivers in LA. I know traffic is frustrating but I would be more sympathetic if these NIMBYs were actually about smart growth instead of trying to preserve some version of the city that ceased to exist in the 1950s. If they were truly concerned about their neighborhoods they would have allowed a top-down implementation of metro's rail system, allowing subway construction of the most dense/high priority corridors in the city so that when the system expands, people would already have at least the core of the metro system built as an alternative to driving in place to get around city. But these same people sabotaged the Wilshire subway in its early days so we have them to thank for this piecemeal, haphazard way Metro's rail system is being built.

Developers are also at fault for building such ugly, pedestrian-phobic buildings. It's nice that L.A. is urbanizing and densifying but too much power is given to developers, businesses, neighborhood associations and other private entities in the process.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 11:38 PM

The Vermont 7/26/13

Glass is almost all the way up on both of the Vermont towers. At this rate, it'll probably be done in about 2 weeks.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 6:34 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The gas station and Denny's days are numbered at that corner. That land is simply too valuable.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Right, I was just talking about the idea of property value in the abstract. I have no idea where posters on this site are seeing these complaints. Without some context about which people are complaining, who they are complaining to, and what they are complaining about, it's hard for me to really comment either way. I would just advise against painting all suspected NIMBY's with one broad brush, which tends to be a popular pastime of urbanophiles (i.e. if you don't like a project, screw you, you're automatically a NIMBY). Perhaps they do have legitimate concerns, I'd just need to know more info.
I've read through a lot of the written comments submitted to the LA City Council and those responded to in the Millennium Hollywood FEIR. The two most common complaints (by far) are about the towers blocking views of Capitol Records and traffic.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Glass is almost all the way up on both of the Vermont towers. At this rate, it'll probably be done in about 2 weeks.

I love the transparent blue tinted windows. When residents install window coverings it creates an interesting and unique effect (vs. Apex tower downtown, for example).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 4:38 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The gas station and Denny's days are numbered at that corner. That land is simply too valuable.
How a Denny's and gas station are on LA's premier, flagship boulevard in the first place is, I think, pretty sad. I'll be happy to see those go.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
How a Denny's and gas station are on LA's premier, flagship boulevard in the first place is, I think, pretty sad. I'll be happy to see those go.
Denny's isn't on Wilshire; it's just north. Vermont north of Wilshire is a mess until Los Feliz (and even then, has problems).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 6:24 PM

24 hour diners should be in every dense neighborhood, they just shouldn't be in squat buildings surrounded by a parking lot. If anything, we could use more places like Pantry or Denny's to create busier and more dynamic neighborhoods. Sometimes, you just really want a short stack at 3 am.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:30 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Speaking of Vermont, I had to drop a friend off in Los Feliz today, and driving down Vermont, the Vermont towers are visible all the way from Los Feliz Blvd. They're pretty impressive.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:57 AM

Speaking of Vermont, it does seem kind of strange that the development wave has passed it by while the other the streets along the Red/Purple line are getting tons of investment. Can't think of anything of note being proposed near the Beverly, Santa Monica or Sunset stations. Probably just a matter of time, I suppose.

In other news, J.H. Snyder is taking over development of 1601 Vine.

http://www.crala.org/internet-site/M...013_Item_3.pdf

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:01 AM
Paramoderator

Bodes well for the project. One of my favorites in Hollywood, so it's nice to see some (any) progress being made.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post

DC wants its 10-story box back.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:26 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Ha! Well, I think a lot of people would agree with me here that in many cases we'd be happy to take DC's 10-story boxes. This particular one is a Gensler design and a block away from a subway stop, so it's perfect for the location.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:40 PM

Quote:
^ Ha! Well, I think a lot of people would agree with me here that in many cases we'd be happy to take DC's 10-story boxes. This particular one is a Gensler design and a block away from a subway stop, so it's perfect for the location.
The building looks fine but we'd be happy taking some of your skyscrapers!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 4:49 PM

I like the look of the building, the height seems appropriate compared to other buildings on the street (1600 Vine, Montalban Theater, Vine Street Garage, The Broadway). That lot is real eye-sore too - not only is it a surface lot but it has the derelict Molly's shack and an old abandonded key-maker / flower shop building. That corner is particularly attractive to the homeless population.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Vermont, I had to drop a friend off in Los Feliz today, and driving down Vermont, the Vermont towers are visible all the way from Los Feliz Blvd. They're pretty impressive.
Likewise, I was driving through South LA yesterday and was impressed that the towers are perfectly visible from MLK/Vermont.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
DC wants its 10-story box back.
Totally. That's a K Street box if I ever saw one. Unlike DC boxes though, I'm guessing it will actually have a decent ceiling height in the lobby

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 1:26 AM

From the eastsiderla.com

Echo Park housing development to make room for commercial space and parking

By Tony Cella

July 29, 2013

The Canadian developer seeking to build a large housing development on the site of an Echo Park hardware store has tweaked the design of the Sunset Boulevard project to include more commercial space and parking in response to feedback from residents.
Aragon Properties had initially proposed building 201 units of housing on a 2.5-acre site on Sunset Boulevard near Everett Street. After meeting with criticism from some residents over failing to include ground floor commercial space, the company expanded the size of its project by adding more than 8,000-square feet of commercial space, 58 parking spaces and several housing units that can double as work spaces, said company’s the director of planning and development, David Roppel.
The director said the additional parking and commercial space were added in response to community requests for a mixed use space, which would “animate” and “bring more uses” to Sunset Boulevard.

[...]

Source: http://www.theeastsiderla.com/2013/0...e-and-parking/

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations