HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:59 AM

This isn't a project so this might have to be moved... kinda like the digital billboard though so not liking this ruling.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=8916434

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:32 AM

Double post.

Last edited by blackcat23; Dec 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 2:33 AM

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/1..._expo_line.php

LA Announces (t)expo Line Tech Corridor Along the Expo Line

by Adrian Glick Kudler

Quote:
Today Mayor Villaraigosa revealed to the world what the Los Angeles Mayor's Council on Innovation and Industry has been up to and it is: the (t)expo Line, a "technology corridor" along the Expo light rail line. (The LAMCII is intended to "communicate our city's boundless creativity, spur investment in high-growth industries, connect our plentiful talent to opportunity, and help LA achieve greater recognition as an innovation capital," according to a press release.) LA will encourage development along the Expo Line, which currently runs from Downtown to Culver City and which will one day hit Santa Monica (part of the actual real thing Silicon Beach), using tax incentives and offering up city-owned land to create public-private "innovation hubs." The group is also working with USC and UCLA "to be cornerstone tenants and co-locate their incubation efforts at one of these locations."

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:16 AM

Vermont/Wilshire as of today:

They're now working on the 7th floor, which I believe is the last level of the podium.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 5:17 AM

Awesome picture, blackcat23!

When is construction supposed to wrap up for that project?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 7:20 AM
:o

Oh my.. they're working quickly on that project.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
Awesome picture, blackcat23!

When is construction supposed to wrap up for that project?
Thanks, Wally.

I'm pretty sure I've read that they're expecting to finish in the early months of 2014. At the current pace, they've been putting up one floor every 1.5 - 2 weeks, so that seems about right.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 2:29 PM

Apartments catering to Gen Y being built in downtown Glendale

Apartments catering to Gen Y being built in downtown Glendale

A rendering of the Eleve Lofts & Skydeck apartment and retail complex being built on the former site of a Circuit City store in downtown Glendale. (Image courtesy of the Los Angeles Times)

By Roger Vincent
Los Angeles Times
December 15, 2012

"An apartment complex with small units intended to appeal to young people eager to get away from roommates and parents into a place of their own is nearing completion in downtown Glendale.

The $34-million mixed-use project named Eleve Lofts & Skydeck is designed for the tastes and needs of Generation Y — people between the ages of 20 and 34, said Alan Dibartolomeo of AMF Development.

Research by the Huntington Beach company found that many young adults would prefer to live in a small place alone than to live in a larger space with a roommate, even if it costs more to do so.

AMF razed a former Circuit City electronics warehouse store on the corner of Maryland Avenue and Broadway in Glendale’s urban shopping district to make way for Eleve. It will have three underground parking levels, shops and restaurants at street level, and six stories of apartments with 208 units above the retail spaces..."

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 8:37 PM

ive been watching this go up, rather quickly actually.

The price point is too high for Glendale honestly. drop it down about 20% and it will be very successful

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
Paramoderator

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...n_glendale.php

Here's an interesting article on the substantial amount of residential development in Glendale right now. It's getting pretty crazy up there.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
ive been watching this go up, rather quickly actually.

The price point is too high for Glendale honestly. drop it down about 20% and it will be very successful
I agree. it will be interesting to see how that turns out. They'd have to be cheap enough to make the target demographic forget they are in Glendale. Santa Monica is one thing, but Glendale - I don't know.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:18 PM

We some beautiful crisp, clear weather yesterday, so I did a little photo expedition up La Brea Ave, through Hollywood, and down to Koreatown yesterday. Here we go...

Wilshire at La Brea

Looks like they're still on the 2nd floor. Progress has been a little slow...then again, this is a massive project.

La Brea & 4th

Anyone know what these projects are? Looks like the one on the SW corner is well under way, and the one on the NW corner of the intersection hasn't begun yet. Maybe there are no plans at all, and they're just using the NW corner as a staging area for the project on the SW corner?

NW Corner

SW Corner

CVS (Wilshire & 3rd)

Moving up La Brea, I noticed that the CVS across the street from the Trader Joe's is really coming along.

Romaine & La Brea

According to Curbed, this project is strictly going to be office space now. The new renderings don't look great. Its a shame they plan to cover up so much of the old building. This could have been a much better adaptive reuse than its turning out to be.

Formosa South at the Lot

I accidentally stumbled across this project. New "creative" office space on Formosa, just south of Santa Monica Blvd.

Santa Monica & La Brea

It was difficult to get a good shot of this development, but I tried from the Best Buy/Target shopping center across the street.

Fountain & La Brea

It looks like this project is really coming along- 4 stories now. It really makes this stretch of La Brea feel more filled in.

Blvd 6200

Still working on the foundation, but I'm just glad its finally underway. Can't wait to see how Hollywood Blvd looks when the density finally extends past Argyle.

Emerson College

I haven't walked past this stretch of Sunset in awhile, I was shocked to see how far along the Emerson College project is.

Sunset & Gordon (Spaghetti Factory Project)

Right across the street is the Sunset & Gordon project. They're just ramping up it seems. Can't wait to see this block with a new 18 story mini tower.

Southwestern Law School Housing (7th and Westmoreland)

The Vermont (Wilshire & Vermont)

And finally, the Ktown projects. The Vermont continues to move along at a brisk pace. I tried to get some new angles for you guys.

Southwestern Law School Housing

The project appears to have topped out. Maybe we'll see some cladding soon?

That's it for now. Happy holidays guys!

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:29 PM

Great update, District!

I didn't even realize that construction was underway on the old Spaghetti Factory site, let alone that far along.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:36 PM

DistrictDirt-- great photos, thank you for posting.

It's too bad the CVS invasion is making it's way out west.

Why are so many of the multi-unit buildings in LA constructed out of wood? Is it because wood construction costs much less or because the extra engineering required to meet earthquake codes in California for concrete buildings? Concrete also requires a lot of energy to produce, so I would think CA's emissions goals and requirements also have a role in this.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:41 PM

Hehe, I'm moving to LA and and am happy to see CVS out there too.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:26 PM

Thanks for the photo update, DistrictDirt! Awesome construction updates like these are the main reason why I go to the forum.

Great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
DistrictDirt-- great photos, thank you for posting.

Why are so many of the multi-unit buildings in LA constructed out of wood? Is it because wood construction costs much less or because the extra engineering required to meet earthquake codes in California for concrete buildings?
I remember reading somewhere that it's just cheaper to build out of wood for projects that are 5 stories or less because concrete just costs more. Not entirely sure if that's correct but that's what I've read. But if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear someone who knows the reasons why.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:31 PM

Wood construction is increasingly popular here in Orlando.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
Thanks for the photo update, DistrictDirt! Awesome construction updates like these are the main reason why I go to the forum.

Great work.

I remember reading somewhere that it's just cheaper to build out of wood for projects that are 5 stories or less because concrete just costs more. Not entirely sure if that's correct but that's what I've read. But if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear someone who knows the reasons why.
Correct-- I think wood construction costs much less but so is the quality of the housing. Perhaps some people in the real estate industry here can clarify but I would think if they built these out of concrete, they can get more in rent for the units or sell them at a higher price.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:48 PM
Paramoderator

I'm so torn on the La Brea South of the Lot project. On one hand, the building is way above average architecturally. Unfortunately, it also happens to be very unpedestrian friendly, with no entrances facing the street. I don't know what to think!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I'm so torn on the La Brea South of the Lot project. On one hand, the building is way above average architecturally. Unfortunately, it also happens to be very unpedestrian friendly, with no entrances facing the street. I don't know what to think!
I think that's intentional. The building is part of that lot (anyone know which studio that is?), so its not really meant for the general public to be able to waltz in. There's a security gate right next to it.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations