HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I'm not sure why you quote my post. I didn't post the picture of the highrise. I merely stated that that high rise on that corner would block the sunlight and cast shadows on the gardens, which are protected by a provincial act.
http://nslegislature.ca/legc/statutes/halpub.htm the protected area is quite large
A different building with a setback and a narrower top might have less of an impact.
I'm aware of that law and what I was trying to say is that there could be a tall building put there, that when combined with good design, could be both tall and not affect the public gardens. It would just mean that the upper portions of the building would have to be narrow, so as to not cast that much shadow on the public gardens.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 2:00 PM

They've been doing a lot of work on the surrounding sidewalk for this one over the past few days. Looks very nice, very wide sidewalk. Should be a very nice streetscape when it's finished.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 12:24 PM

It is nice and wide, but the way it meets the building is not good at all. There are so many small little relatively steep slopes up to the building in order to meet the different grades. The second it gets below 0 it will be full of ice.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:49 PM

I really like that they kept the two mature trees on South Park Street.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I really like that they kept the two mature trees on South Park Street.
This really impressed me as well.
Trees take forever to grow, so I'm glad this developer left them alone.

The preservation of trees is one Halifax tradition of which I'm very proud.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
The preservation of trees is one Halifax tradition of which I'm very proud.
It's too bad that tradition couldn't have been carried through on the new library site.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 12:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
It's too bad that tradition couldn't have been carried through on the new library site.
This example, aside from angering me, confused me quite a bit because I thought there was plenty of room to keep most of those mature trees.

The library isn't being built that close to the road.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
This example, aside from angering me, confused me quite a bit because I thought there was plenty of room to keep most of those mature trees.

The library isn't being built that close to the road.
I wonder if the trees were just nearing the end of their lives?
We have the same problem out here, but we have a lot trees (I think they are furs??) that are nearing the end of their lives and are dying - since they typically grow for about 25 years. People don't seem to understand that and get upset when developers take them down so appeals end up at the appeal board over trees. One the other day was 4 hours on the removal of 5 trees; which the arborist for the developer proved were going to die in about 5 years time. He was going to replace them with new trees; but it does take time to mature.

Some trees do live way longer lives; but in the case of some species...they don't. I wonder if that was the case here? Short life cycle, take them down now before they die and become a hazard?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I wonder if the trees were just nearing the end of their lives?
We have the same problem out here, but we have a lot trees (I think they are furs??) that are nearing the end of their lives and are dying - since they typically grow for about 25 years. People don't seem to understand that and get upset when developers take them down so appeals end up at the appeal board over trees. One the other day was 4 hours on the removal of 5 trees; which the arborist for the developer proved were going to die in about 5 years time. He was going to replace them with new trees; but it does take time to mature.

Some trees do live way longer lives; but in the case of some species...they don't. I wonder if that was the case here? Short life cycle, take them down now before they die and become a hazard?
Even in an urban setting, the shortest-lived trees--such as birch and ash--should last around 40-50 years (much longer than this in the wild).

Firs, even in a city, can live for hundreds.

They may have been nearing the end of their life, but I doubt this because there was no mention of it. Most of the time, when city trees are close to death, groundskeepers will reveal their thoughts on when the trees should be taken down--given the physical evidence of the trees.

These trees were simply just destroyed.

But who knows...

In any event: I'm very excited for this library--and I hope they replace the trees in some form.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 8:28 PM

Anyone hear any word yet on what stores may be occupying the base of the Trillium?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:32 PM

I think the lighthouses have arrived and are currently being stored inside. It looks like they were serious about those.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:58 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
I think the lighthouses have arrived and are currently being stored inside. It looks like they were serious about those.
Ugh, what a waste of that corner. They might be half decent if they were copper and eventually had a patina... but aren't they like cheap sheet metal?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:04 PM
Salty Town

Hopefully they won't put all of them up.

I think they should get rid of them and replace them something like this....Atlas:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenmasterdod/4649053302/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 6:58 PM

Overall I'm more optimistic about the Trillium than I was throughout most of the construction process but one thing I can't wrap my head around is the white trim on the ground floor. It looks cheap and out of context and will almost certainly wear and get dirty instantly. It almost looks like indoor moldings (!). In contrast, the Vic finishes will likely be much higher quality and more thoughtful because they were designed by Breakhouse.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 7:24 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
Overall I'm more optimistic about the Trillium than I was throughout most of the construction process but one thing I can't wrap my head around is the white trim on the ground floor. It looks cheap and out of context and will almost certainly wear and get dirty instantly. It almost looks like indoor moldings (!). In contrast, the Vic finishes will likely be much higher quality and more thoughtful because they were designed by Breakhouse.
I think those trim sections are intended to have signage over top of them, so it might not end up being so bad.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I think those trim sections are intended to have signage over top of them, so it might not end up being so bad.
True... I'll try to withhold judgment until it's complete.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 3:40 AM
BANNED

I haven't seen the Trillium in person for a while: does it look as though they are nearing the end...or will they most likely extend the date?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 6:56 PM

Photo by me:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 3:30 AM
BANNED

Soon Very, very soon.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I'd have to agree on this - it looks like they are using a concept similar to what is done in Calgary for fascia signs. They've defined the 'signable area' - so a fascia sign can be located in this area, so long as it meets the size restrictions for how big a fascia sign can be.

Considering this was done by DA, that should've been covered in the DA or have a refer back clause to the sign rules in the LUB.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth