HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 6:08 AM

Places to be seen in Denver when you are Dead! - DenverAztec

Something different for the season - This is the first of two threads of photos I shot dedicated to Halloween and the places that the dead rest and where some still roam. Some of the stories that I was able to research are below and some of the homes just look like a fit with the others. I did add one castle in Manitou Springs, just south of Denver.

The Fairmount Mausoleum – Built in 1920, this Denver landmark has more stained glass than any other building in the city. It houses over 15000 crypts and urns and has floors, wall and ceiling made of marble. Denver’s elite were laid to rest here and in the surrounding grounds beginning in 1890. The headstones are very elaborate and range from angels to animal, Rodin’s thinker to sorrowful women. Hundreds of tombs are made of marble and stone found locally and from across the world. Statues and personal paintings can be found inside the mausoleum, which were cherished items of those who lay at rest. Due to the amount of photos, I have spread them in with the historic haunted homes and buildings. Fairmount is extremely well cared for, unlike their recently acquired cemetery Riverside, which will be in thread two.

Also spread out in this thread is my neighborhood of Capitol Hill - Once the neighborhood of Denver’s and some of the countries wealthiest citizens, Capitol Hill continues to wear its decadent image with honor, blending the past with the present, as ancient Victorian mansions and contemporary condos and apartment complexes dot the neighborhood. Also here in this historic neighborhood, are a bevy of ghosts. Ghost tours of the area tell of numerous entities who continue to inhabit this historic neighborhood. At the old Governor’s Mansion, ghosts are said to walk the halls, at the State Capitol buildings, a phantom woman in a long dress is often known to appear. A few homes in Curtis Park and West Denver have also been added.

Denver - State Capitol Buildings - The Colorado State Capitol Building is connected to several others by a series of tunnels. Originally, these tunnels were used to move coal from place to place for heating purposes. One female apparition who wears a long turn of the century style dresses is known to haunt the area. She has been seen in all of the buildings connected to the tunnels and in the tunnels themselves. Very inquisitive, the woman is said to have been seen reading over the shoulders of state employees.

The Molly Brown House Museum - "The House of Lions",1340 Pennsylvania, Denver. A psychic was brought in at one time, and said the spirit of Molly's parents haunted the room that they lived and died in. Unexplained puffs of smoke have been seen near the study, which was where J.J. Brown used to smoke his cigars. Other people have reported smelling cigar smoke in the vicinity of the study. Residents of the neighborhood have reported seeing lights on in the 14 room house at odd times. Hauntings also include dark shadows moving about rooms when there is no light to produce them, and piano keys moving on their own, but making no sound. Molly ran for senate three times before women had the right to vote, she fought for the rights of miners, children and animals. She traveled the world to experience the cultures of Africa, Egypt, Japan and India. She was the most famous survivor of the Titanic for her strength and leadership on that final fateful voyage.

The Grant-Humphreys Mansion at 770 Pennsylvania Street in Denver. By the turn of the century, when the Grants commissioned architects Theodore Davis Boal and F.I. Harnois to design their new home on "Quality Hill," Americans had begun building in the Beaux-Arts style, borrowing elements from the high architectural periods of the ancient world and Renaissance Europe. The Grants' Beaux-Arts mansion is an exuberant mixture of elements, combining a brick facade with terra cotta balustrades, projecting balconies and 20 foot columns. The 30-room mansion was completed in 1902 at a cost of $35,000. James Benton Grant was born in 1848 in Alabama, the son of a plantation owner later impoverished by the Civil War. After studying at the prestigious Freiburg mining institute in Germany, Grant moved to Leadville in 1877 to establish the Omaha and Grant Smelting Company. Grant was elected third governor of the state, a position he held for one term from 1883 - 1885. The mansion is currently used as office and public space and is available for private rental functions. The Grant-Humphreys Mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1970) and has been designated a Denver Landmark (1976). It is consistently on the Halloween night ghost tours of Capitol Hill, Denver and Grant lies in Fairmount cemetery.

The Castle Marne - At 16th and Race in Denver’s Capitol Hill, built in 1889. Richardsonian Romanesque the Queen Anne overtones. Currently a bed and breakfast and is listed on the National Register of Historic Structures.

Miramont (mountain view) Castle, Manitou Springs, is a maze of staircases, hallways, odd-angled rooms and musty Victorian relics. A secret corridor, closed to the public, is on the second floor. It's the prototypical haunted house, and has a boatload of haunts. The castle was built in 1895 by a French priest as a private residence. It later became a tuberculosis sanitarium (run by the Sisters of Mercy), a fashionable retreat and an apartment complex.

Ghosts that inhabit this four-story, 48-room mansion may not be haunting it; they might just be lost. Singing has been heard coming from the chapel accompanied by very cold air. In the castle solarium a man and woman have been heard having a heated discussion. In a guest bedroom mirror, the face of a woman in Victorian dress has been seen looking back. A psychic was going through the castle and said she felt and conversed with the spirit of Mother Francoln’s niece, Amanda. It is not known if the Francoln’s ever had any relatives there from France. Several spirits are said to haunt the mansion. One is that of a pregnant nun who committed suicide nearly a century ago. Another appears to be that of a little girl carrying a doll. Sightings are so commonplace that castle volunteers have started a book, located in the gift shop, in which visitors are encouraged to report any unusual happenings. The castle, now a museum.

House next door.

The Fairmount Gate House – built 1890

Ivy Chapel at Fairmount Cemetery- Ecclesiastical Gothic design was built in 1890. This chapel is a beautiful place to visit if you are particularly interested in classic church architecture. The chapel is the city's purest example of French neo-Gothic architecture, complete with flying buttresses, barbed finials and gargoyles. The structure is a designated Denver Landmark, and is primarily used for funeral services. The public is welcome to enter at all other times.

The Croke-Patterson Mansion, built in 1890, 428-430 East 11th Avenue in Denver - Chateauesque style architecture in Denver. The Croke Patterson Mansion is one of the country's most elegant and frightening haunted houses. Built in 1890, it was modeled after a French chateau and sits on Denver's prestigious Capitol Hill. According to legend, the original owner, Thomas B. Croke, stepped into the house only once, and was so shaken by the experience, he left and never returned. Over the next century, the house served many purposes--a dance studio, radio station, boarding house, an office building and currently a private residence. People have seen floating bats, office equipment turned on automatically and two Doberman Pinschers who were guarding the premises were found dead on the sidewalk. Something in the house had frightened them into jumping out of a third-story window. A séance revealed that the body of a young girl was interred within the walls
of the mansion. Thomas Patterson, the former owner of the Denver Rocky Mountain News and who died in the house, haunts the courtyard between the castle and the carriage house. This is the only mansion that I personally really felt a cold and horrid presence and was unable to stay in it for very long.

Hope you enjoyed the tour. Thread two will come out in about a week and will be a little more on the darker side. Happy Halloween!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 3:46 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

Wow... beautiful AND educational... what more could you want in a photo thread. Thanks DA.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2007, 12:44 AM
no its not...

Good Gravy....

Did you put some work into this or what? Fantastic Job!!!!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 11:18 AM
Lowe's

Again, awesome job!!!!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 11:58 PM

this building kind of looks like it should be facing the Persian Gulf.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 12:07 AM

nice job. i look forward to thread II - do we have to wait two weeks?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:33 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyweaxguy View Post

Again, awesome job!!!!

I second that notion... Awesome job, DenverAztec!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 9:52 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

ZOMG! This is the best architecture i've seen from Denver. Sweet.

On another note, how funny is this pic that features a crevice like opening for "Swallow" with an erected obelisk in the background:

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 10:18 PM
designer&stuff

Spooky stories and great photos DenverAztec.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 11:27 PM
no its not...

Whats scarry is.......

....is how good your photos are getting DA!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 5:36 PM

Thank you all for your comments! This was one of the more difficult threads to put together due to having so many pics of homes and cemetery items that I wanted to post. Hence, I have thread two coming out at the end of this week. Plus, I am in Phoenix until Thursday, so just ran out of time but if you liked this one, you will like the second. Thank you again!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 6:05 PM

Such a great amount of historic architecture that looks really well preserved. You have outdone yourself and this is now the best Denver thread ever. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 9:10 PM
Philadelphia

"ahhh, the sunshine state . . . Denver! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!"

- Mitch Martin (aka - the Godfather)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 9:10 PM

Perfect timing for Haloween! Nice...spooky job!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 12:49 AM
Exploring the world

Very Interesting !

A very unique and historical thread...you have me wanting to visit Denver.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:14 AM

Cool thread, but damm, my fingers are killing me. Well, if I die I at least I know what I'm going to see.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 1:14 AM

Killer photo thread!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:28 AM
arf

I'm so there when I'm dead.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 9:55 PM

Thank you again for all the wonderful comments! Happy Halloween!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 12:42 AM

I forgot to mention, those pics are to die for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos