HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 3:27 PM

Lightbulb Fantasy transit for Austin, TX

This thread is primarily for the amusement of Austin-area residents or transit connoisseurs...

I'm of the mindset that Capital Metro has no clue what they're doing; they earn votes by running on a platform of "Wasting money by developing inefficient transit alternatives is better than not doing anything at all". If Capital Metro's goal was to truly alleviate traffic and not build a trophy-wife on rail, they should have really come up with a comprehensive transit plan for the Austin area.

That being said, I'm interested in the collective wisdom of this forum: What's your ideal transit set-up for Austin Metro (and possibly San Antonio, a la regional rail, if you fancy)? Does it include more highways, subways, monorails, Maglev, or Rapidbus? Maybe everyone gets issue a helicopter? Use your imagination and get creative - remember, no holds barred.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2007, 4:01 PM

There are a few obvious transportation ideas that I'd implement:

-Downtown would be outfitted with a comprehensive Rapid Bus system that would include, but not be limited to, signal priority, bus lanes, etc. and not stop every block or two (vis a vis current Capital Metro on Congress). This system would run very often (10min maximum wait) during peak times (which can include typical rush hours, special events, and weekend nights.)

-Turn current Amtrak station into very large downtown transit center and give pedestrian access to Whole Foods, town lake pedestrian bridge, Spring condos, etc. Downtown Transit Center would include RapidBus transfers and routes such as:

-Erwin Center by way of Red River, serving both the RR district and Brackenridge.
-DKR Texas Memorial Stadium, connecting with campus bus transfer points
-Convention Center by way of 4th St, serving the Warehouse District
-the Capitol, serving the government buildings

-Sink MoPac (similar to Central Express/US-75 in Dallas) between Town Lake and Northland/2222 and toll it from between Capital of TX Hwy south and 183 North. Add one, non-tolled HOV lane each way.** Keep and acquire the Union Pacific tracks on the surface.

-Somehow retrofit the UP tracks from downtown both directions (north and south) to allow for electric rail cars.

-Allow for easy pedestrian access to Domain Rail Station.

-Acquire the state buildings across MoPac from Camp Mabry; zone them for ultra-high density (no more than 30-stories) residential and give pedestrian access to nearby electric rail station on MoPac.

-Acquire land bordering UP tracks south of downtown; demolish homes and zone for higher density. Build 2-3 satellite park and rides.

-Not sure about the east-west tracks in South Austin - they run under I-35 @ Ben White - but include a rail service to ABIA. Service would run often (10 minutes) during peak hours. Rail would allow access to park and rides and downtown transit center.

-Build a tunneled, east-west expressway under 35th street from I-35 to MoPac.

-Lamar Blvd tunnel from 1st St to 9th/10th St. to allow for a more pedestrian-friendly environment around Whole Foods, Waterloo, etc.

-Add an additional general-use lane on 183 between MoPac and McNeil/Spicewood Springs Rd.

** - I decided to toll MoPac for a couple of reasons: 1) it would be a huge moneymaker and, 2) I want to punish those opting to drive when there are other alternatives, as opposed to now where drivers are punished for driving yet are present with no other reasonable alternatives.

I'll come up with something for I-35 later.... it hurts my head too much.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2007, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDizzle View Post
There are a few obvious transportation ideas that I'd implement:

-Downtown would be outfitted with a comprehensive Rapid Bus system that would include, but not be limited to, signal priority, bus lanes, etc. and not stop every block or two (vis a vis current Capital Metro on Congress). This system would run very often (10min maximum wait) during peak times (which can include typical rush hours, special events, and weekend nights.)
You need to take a look at http://allsystemsgo.capmetro.org/ if you haven't already.

Quote:
-Turn current Amtrak station into very large downtown transit center and give pedestrian access to Whole Foods, town lake pedestrian bridge, Spring condos, etc. Downtown Transit Center would include RapidBus transfers and routes such as:
Have you seen the plans for the Seaholm district? It includes the commuter rail all the way to 3rd and Bowie, right across the street from Whole Foods! That's exciting!

Quote:
-Sink MoPac (similar to Central Express/US-75 in Dallas) between Town Lake and Northland/2222 and toll it from between Capital of TX Hwy south and 183 North. Add one, non-tolled HOV lane each way.** Keep and acquire the Union Pacific tracks on the surface.
It would be freak'n awesome if it were possible to sink MoPac like they did in the big dig in Boston and open up that land as a HUGE park or something! That will never happen though. I personally don't think that there need to be anymore toll roads that the tax payers have already paid for. Besides they are tolling all ways in and out of Austin that isn't I-35 gr!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 8:10 PM

How about referring to the thread in the city's actual forum instead of duplicating here?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 11:23 PM

U.S. Dept of Defense $48.5 billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 7:16 PM
Keep It Weird

Sounds like a lot of moolah! I don't understand why you would sink Mopac then leave the rail track above ground. And if I'm correct you don't mean make it a tunnel. just a channel. Can you explain?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2007, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strayone View Post
Sounds like a lot of moolah! I don't understand why you would sink Mopac then leave the rail track above ground. And if I'm correct you don't mean make it a tunnel. just a channel. Can you explain?
Actually, this isn't my idea, it's TXDOT's. The idea would be to submerge the highway to expand lane capacity (add lanes) and also solve the sound problem the neighborhoods face. You'd keep the tracks because they're already there which, I guess, wouldn't completely solve the sound problem.

There are other odd plans which include a raise middle-portion: look at the I-35 re-design plans, one of which includes having elevated HOV lanes (two, to be exact) and the elevated 183 segment from MoPac to I-35 having higher elevated HOV lanes in the middle.

BTW, this Fantasy Transit thread is doing better - join our convo here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=134777

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 8:29 PM

That really was the neighborhoods' idea; TXDOT only wrote it up because CAMPO twisted their arm, and they did so in such a way that made it crystal clear that TXDOT would submerge the main lanes over their dead bodies.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation