HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:11 PM
Eurosceptic

DETROIT: Look back in anger

So I was reading an article today about how one of my favorite skyscrapers, Detroit's Book Tower, has gone dark due to the failure of its owners to pay the utility bills... and I read about the deterioration of the building... and it made me angry... and I began to think about how Detroit has one of the most impressive collections of skyscrapers circa 1910-1930... and then I figured I might as well post these photos from my visit there awhile back

here is your soundtrack:
Video Link

oh yeah...

The Guardian

what a brawny building

there's the top of the Book Tower peeking out from behind

the canyons of Detroit

what a glamourous tower

diverse eras of architecture

the People Mover

faux-artistique

that's no moon... it's a space station

the winter sunlight plays off the glass cylinder

the portal to Kanada

"there... is our promised land... our Garden of Eden... it's name... is Windsor"

GREEKTOWN!!!!!!

the bi-national metropolis

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:27 PM
Closed account

As far as I know the Book Tower has new owners, and they are restoring it to its original state. Nice photo tour btw.

I really liked this one, and yes, it shows a diverse style of architecture in this one little pic. Art Deco, Modern, and Post Modern.

Last edited by Exodus; Apr 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:29 PM
Always A Classic

Book Tower, what a dump! I think a new parking garage is definately needed in that part of downtown, especially for the new hockey arena.

TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:35 PM
Closed account

First of all, you are Second of all, it's being restored. Last but not least, You are

Last edited by Exodus; Apr 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:44 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
First of all, you are Second of all, it's being restored, Last but not least, You are
No, I'm serious! This would be the best thing for Detroit since we tore down old city hall, statler and whatever the hell was there before IHOP. Imagine the development potential if all of the old buildings on Washington BLVD were demolished, even the Book-Cadillac. We could get a new stadium, Quicken, maybe a Mandarin Oriental and (crosses fingers) a Trump Tower.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
First of all, you are Second of all, it's being restored, Last but not least, You are
You are the one who is wrong. The Book Tower is not being restored. It's almost completely empty and electricity has been shut off. The building is in terrible shape and recently sold for almost nothing.

I think you are confusing the Book Tower with the Book-Cadillac, which is being beautifully restored.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:09 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Brown View Post
No, I'm serious! This would be the best thing for Detroit since we tore down old city hall, statler and whatever the hell was there before IHOP. Imagine the development potential if all of the old buildings on Washington BLVD were demolished, even the Book-Cadillac. We could get a new stadium, Quicken, maybe a Mandarin Oriental and (crosses fingers) a Trump Tower.
Did your renewal plan for Cleveland that included the replacement of the Terminal Tower, the Ameritech Tower, Huntington Bank, etc.?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:15 PM

no you are wrong...the Book tower's purchaser was a developer with the intent of restoring it . http://jcbeal.com/project-book.asp

They have not finalized financing or made any announcements, but the wheels are rolling with the intent of more modest priced housing/office/and reatail arcade

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:20 PM

The Book Tower is one of my favorites too, Evergrey. I think it's among the finest we've got. I saw it for the first time up close this past summer and was disappointed in its deteriorating condition. How wonderful would it be if they could build buildings like this today?... I guess that's what makes them so special though.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:27 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
Did your renewal plan for Cleveland that included the replacement of the Terminal Tower, the Ameritech Tower, Huntington Bank, etc.?
TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN TOO! Washington, DC would be better off if they replaced the old Capitol with a more modern building, even the White House is a bit rundown.

**cough** joke/sarcasm **cough, cough**

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:44 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

faux-artistique

Faux artistique?? You chide me on matters of architecture and yet this is your vocabulary on the subject of art? Riiiiight...

J/K... in all seriousness, some good pics and that building is a beauty

Cleveland Brown - learn to spell the word 'definitely.'

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:49 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by realm0854 View Post
Faux artistique?? You chide me on matters of architecture and yet this is your vocabulary on the subject of art? Riiiiight...
Well, I was being a bit self-depreciating... I am overwhelmed that you hold that photo in such high regard.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 7:55 PM
Red brick mama.

It Tickles

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbest View Post
no you are wrong...the Book tower's purchaser was a developer with the intent of restoring it . http://jcbeal.com/project-book.asp

They have not finalized financing or made any announcements, but the wheels are rolling with the intent of more modest priced housing/office/and reatail arcade
Again, you are wrong. Your link is for the previous owner. It is now owned by a out-of-town entity and it just had its power shut off. The building is in terrible shape and is nearly completely abandoned.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:05 PM

Nice shots!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:49 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

A few things:

- From what I've heard power was shut off temporarily, and most eye witness reports have said the lights were back on within a few hours/days of the poor report by the local newspapers.

- Despite still needing modernization, the former owner did replace all of the heating and cooling systems, I believe, and I know for sure she replaced the elevators. At worst, the building has stagnated in its ability to bring in new tenants.

- Plans are still in the work for the renovation that is to include a complete modernization. Apparently, and this happened last year or the year before that, the former owner moved all of the tenants out of the Building into the Tower for a phased reconstruction whenever it begins.

I'd like to add that the Book Tower is easily one of the most unique historic skyscrapers I've seen, and one of my favorites. It has an awkward charm about it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 11:06 PM

Detroit does have some of the best early 20th century skyscrapers in the US. Only behind NYC and Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 11:15 PM
Always A Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by realm0854 View Post

Cleveland Brown - learn to spell the word 'definitely.'
Bite me! Also, if you want to correct someone's errors, then your "correction" should be error free.

You're missing "how," by the way.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:06 AM

The Book Tower is fine. The plans to bring it back online full time are still in the works. I'm not saying expect anything to be done this year, next, or before the turn of the decade, but I AM saying that the Book Tower is the least of worries...sorta.

Also, the building is not deteriorating. There is still occupancy within it, however low. The power was turned back on. Being it one of Detroit's highest profile buildings gives all the hope in the world to the building. It has the plans and intentions to reuse its space as lofts and offices and will one day return to a profit-maximizing structure. It's address on Washington Boulevard doesn't hurt it either, near to Grand Circus Park, Woodward, and the #1 site location for a new downtown global HQ. If that move happens, it's almost guaranteed the Book will be back as a result...as will the Broderick Tower.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:09 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
The Book Tower is fine. The plans to bring it back online full time are still in the works. I'm not saying expect anything to be done this year, next, or before the turn of the decade, but I AM saying that the Book Tower is the least of worries...sorta.

Also, the building is not deteriorating. There is still occupancy within it, however low. The power was turned back on. Being it one of Detroit's highest profile buildings gives all the hope in the world to the building. It has the plans and intentions to reuse its space as lofts and offices and will one day return to a profit-maximizing structure. It's address on Washington Boulevard doesn't hurt it either, near to Grand Circus Park, Woodward, and the #1 site location for a new downtown global HQ. If that move happens, it's almost guaranteed the Book will be back as a result...as will the Broderick Tower.
Sorry... people on the Urban Planet Detroit forum were mentioning the Book Tower deteriorating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos