HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:58 PM
"Native Born"

I have a question: Is it possible to add additional height to a project at this stage because of improved market demands? I realize that new permits, etc. would have to be issued but I am asking from an engineering point of view...of which is far beyond my educational level.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 1:42 AM

The Portland Zoning Code has a 460' maximum height, so it would be extremely unlikely that they could get a taller building approved. Even if they could, there are a few complications that occur to me. The building's foundations and lateral system are likely only sized for a building 460' tall. Any taller and I imagine that they would have to make major changes to the engineer. The risers through the building for plumbing etc may not have any extra spare room for the increased number of utilities. The exit routes will be designed to safely accommodate the predicted number of people using it based on the building occupancy and height. They may not be wide enough to accommodate more people in an emergency.

The biggest issue is that there were a series of post-9/11 changes to the model building codes around buildings over 420' tall. One of the major requirements is an additional exit stair beyond the base requirements. I assume that PAW was permitted based on the 2007 Oregon Codes, which had not yet incorporated those requirements. The 2010 and 2014 codes (in effect as of Wednesday) require this. Getting a new building permit for a building taller than 420' with only 2 exit stairs would probably be impossible.

TL;DR - probably not.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 2:01 AM

Today I could finally see the top sticking out over Fox Tower from the freeway as I left I-5N toward downtown. It's pretty neat to have such a tall building going up in the city. Definitely changing the skyline from all angles at this point.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:13 AM

Anyone notice if they did their final core level?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 12:35 AM

The final core bump. The work platform now stands at 421 feet, or 83% to final height and 92% to roof height. There are two mechanical floors left to put up (42 feet), then another 42 feet of spire.

PAW has now surpassed the PacWest tower in height, making it the tallest building constructed in Portland since 1984. That is the last tower PAW will surpass in height, though it will come within spitting distance of KOIN (only 4 feet shorter).

The latest round of steel is also going up.

Pics taken from Webcam and design advice.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 1:57 AM
BANNED

Very tall building for this city. Pretty amazing.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 6:12 PM

PAW from the West End this morning:

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 11:30 PM

Curtain wall being delivered.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 5:04 PM

Park Avenue West from the Pearl District

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:18 AM

And here is the first bit of cladding. A smoky charcoal, pretty dark. Reminds me of the towers in SOWA.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Downtown's next high rise starts to look like a real building

It's been a long time coming, but the Park Avenue West Tower is well on its way to its expected 2016 completion.

The building, which got sidetracked by the recession and sat as a giant pit in the middle of downtown for more than four years, has hit some significant construction milestones lately, according to Refinement Israel, marketing manager for TMT Development, the firm behind the tower.

"You can really start to feel what it's going to be like as a building," she said.
...continues at Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:34 PM

Reading the above article, it looks like the core framework is coming down this weekend.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 10:19 PM

Center Core Formwork Coming Down

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 7:20 PM

walked over last night, and glass is going up on all sides of the third(?) floor.
Should be an exciting few weeks as they start going vertical with this and the core framework goes away. We'll really start to see how the building will look.

ALSO: The glass so far is *way* better than the strange dark green from the renders. It is hard to tell so far, but looks like a very dark, bluish tint.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:13 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
walked over last night, and glass is going up on all sides of the third(?) floor.
Should be an exciting few weeks as they start going vertical with this and the core framework goes away. We'll really start to see how the building will look.

ALSO: The glass so far is *way* better than the strange dark green from the renders. It is hard to tell so far, but looks like a very dark, bluish tint.
That is good to hear, I will have to stop by that area one of these days when they get a little further along with the cladding to get a better look at it. I love seeing this tower going up on my bike to work along the Springwater Corridor.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:33 AM

curtain wall progress

Sorry. I'm having trouble with Flickr. They've changed. It's a lot more difficult to get the image property info and for a decent size image. If any of you can find that on flickr and repost it at a different size, be my guest. Here's the link for the larger image on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63393397@N02/15035050444/

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 29, 2014 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 3:34 PM

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 5:23 PM

I still can't picture in my head what it's going to look like, so I'm really excited about getting to see it finished.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 9:50 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
I still can't picture in my head what it's going to look like, so I'm really excited about getting to see it finished.
I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I've become so used to the rising skeleton that I can't imagine it as a finished building, especially at the ground level. I'm really looking forward to seeing the glass.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 5:31 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland