HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late1 View Post
Not sure whether anyone's already announced this, but PBJ is reporting that Comcast Center will be officially topped out on June 16:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

By the way, great photos all around to those who've been posting them. Much appreciated too!

edit: ah, I see Cro was posting simulanteously
That be 6.18.07. So they still have two equivalent floors to add. Can they do that in ten days? Not convinced this will be the tallest building in Phila. If 1Lib added 60' to the spire, then wouldn't that building retain the title @ 1,005 ft??? Confused in Castor Gardens.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 8:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Not sure whether anyone's already announced this, but PBJ is reporting that Comcast Center will be officially topped out on June 16:

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

By the way, great photos all around to those who've been posting them. Much appreciated too!

edit: ah, I see Cro was posting simulanteously
That be 6.18.07. So they still have two equivalent floors to add. Can they do that in ten days? Not convinced this will be the tallest building in Phila. If 1Lib added 60' to the spire, then wouldn't that building retain the title @ 1,005 ft??? Confused in Castor Gardens.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 9:27 PM

Thanks for the date correction - last thing I want to do is add to the confusion

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you're thinking of is a supposed addition of 15 feet of spire to 1 Liberty's original 945' peak which means 1 Liberty may actually be 960' to its tip. Maybe the 60 in 960 is why you're thinking 60 was added?

If that's the case, then Comcast's highest point is still taller than 1 Liberty's highest point; it's just a matter of whether that difference is 15' or 30'.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 9:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the date correction - last thing I want to do is add to the confusion

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you're thinking of is a supposed addition of 15 feet of spire to 1 Liberty's original 945' peak which means 1 Liberty may actually be 960' to its tip. Maybe the 60 in 960 is why you're thinking 60 was added?

If that's the case, then Comcast's highest point is still taller than 1 Liberty's highest point; it's just a matter of whether that difference is 15' or 30'.
I think you are right re 1Lib. I think I was confused from an earlier reply from MJPhilly...something about 60'...960'...whatever. So would you agree we still have roughly 2 equivalent floors to add prior to topoff on 6.18? I hear from Burholme Park the skyline view is great...need to dust off the digital this weekend.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 10:41 PM

restaurant

There's an ad in this month's Phila Mag for Perrier's Comcast Center restaurant. It's to be called "31." An earlier post notes that there will be no public dining in the building above the ground floor, but what other than floor # 31 can this name refer to? Anyone know?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 11:32 PM
America's Hometown

If One Liberty's Spire was extended....wouldn't have somebody seen the work being done? I don't think that would have gone unnoticed......

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 11:04 PM
Most Trusted

looking amazing

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
If One Liberty's Spire was extended....wouldn't have somebody seen the work being done? I don't think that would have gone unnoticed......
you would definitely think so, but at the same time, it seems like the Comcast Center will not appear taller than Liberty One from most angles. if the top of the Comcast Center is truly 975' and the peak of Liberty One's spire is 945', Comcast should appear to be the taller building from most angles (when topped out).

simply use MJ Philly's photos he takes from his balcony. Comcast should appear slightly taller than Liberty One when topped out but instead it will appear slightly shorter, unless there is much more to go on the crown than i thought. just my thoughts.....

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 11:42 PM

Someone should rent a total station and find out exactly how tall those things are. I'd do it but i'm super poor and far away.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
you would definitely think so, but at the same time, it seems like the Comcast Center will not appear taller than Liberty One from most angles. if the top of the Comcast Center is truly 975' and the peak of Liberty One's spire is 945', Comcast should appear to be the taller building from most angles (when topped out).

simply use MJ Philly's photos he takes from his balcony. Comcast should appear slightly taller than Liberty One when topped out but instead it will appear slightly shorter, unless there is much more to go on the crown than i thought. just my thoughts.....
I totally agree. I think the height is incorrect on 1Lib, which is 960' from what I have read from this forum. So that extra 15' might not be significant enough for Comcast to appear taller. I know the view from Citizens Bank Park, it is not. From what I have gathered, there are two add'l equivalent floors to add, so we'll see in a week or so. Finally, if Liberty Property & Comcast were going for height, they should have broken the 1k foot level.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPhillyRosie View Post
I totally agree. I think the height is incorrect on 1Lib, which is 960' from what I have read from this forum. So that extra 15' might not be significant enough for Comcast to appear taller. I know the view from Citizens Bank Park, it is not. From what I have gathered, there are two add'l equivalent floors to add, so we'll see in a week or so. Finally, if Liberty Property & Comcast were going for height, they should have broken the 1k foot level.
A lot of this is a question of perspective. Lib 1 will more than likely always look taller than CC from Citizen's, simply because Lib 1 is 2 blocks closer to Citizen's than CC.

If you take a look at the skyline from the NW, CC looks significantly larger than everything else, simply because it is closer to that vantage point.

I do agree thought that I find that CC looks a bit smaller than I had imagined it would in comparison to Lib 1.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:55 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks native View Post
There's an ad in this month's Phila Mag for Perrier's Comcast Center restaurant. It's to be called "31." An earlier post notes that there will be no public dining in the building above the ground floor, but what other than floor # 31 can this name refer to? Anyone know?
Check the first post of this thread. The restaurant was originally "Table 31" - I guess the name was truncated. It's not going to be on the 31st floor.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 2:14 PM

In regards to this height issue, it really has everything to do with your viewing angle as was just pointed out a couple posts up (and probably reinforced many times throughout this thread when this discussion has come up). But yes, from the NW, it looks SIGNIFICANTLY larger than Lib 1 or anything else in Center City.

Regardless of whether the CC looks to be a few feet shorter or taller than Lib 1, I think all can agree that it is the dominant tower in the skyline. Solid occupiable space from foot to crown.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:04 PM

Hello guys I am new here, pretty young. But I have noticed the comcast tower. For awhile I was viewing this thread, and now I decided to register. I hope ComCenter is higher then Liberty place, it better. But i'm getting so anticipating the crown to be finished!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 4:29 PM
furified freestyle

i personally think comcast center already looks dominating regardless of location, and (as has been said), they still have two-thirds of the crown to finish yet. as fast as the first third was erected (and then held while the concrete was poured for the liquid damper), i don't think they'll have any problems meeting their june 18th target, weather cooperating of course.

this picture was taken from the packer avenue port way the hell down in south philly, where one liberty place is closer in perspective, but comcast (i think) looks enormous:

here's another from pulaski park in port richmond, where the building massing is relatively equal in perspective:

and one from due north on 17th street, where comcast is obviously closer (and therefore appears taller):

hey jlendo, make the second left after the second right in east philadelphia and you can't miss it!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 6:20 PM

^^^^ nice pics Sasso, great angles. yeah, if there is still 2/3s left to go on the crown, then it should appear slightly taller from most angles. i didnt realize they had that much to go given the top out date of the 18th. but if they can put up another 2/3s of crown in 10 days then much respect to them !

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 6:33 PM

What he said. 2/3 of a crown in another week sounds ambitious to me, but if they can get it done, great. Great pics btw.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 8:01 PM

How are they gona do it?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 2:07 AM
Corporate logo

Some pics from this weekend...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 2:51 AM

2/3rds?

I dont know. After looking at the rendering it appears that the crown is about 1/2 way up. Because it looks like the crown is about as high as wide?

My guess is that there is one more set of topper columns the same size (height) as the columns below. My guess is that the crown is now at 1/2 the final height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive