HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 4:11 AM

Tulane University is building a two cell jail (holding area) & a gym for the Tulane Police Department in the former Walgreens at Tulane & Loyola. The Subway next to the former Walgreens will also be closing down due to this project.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
Tulane University is building a two cell jail (holding area) & a gym for the Tulane Police Department in the former Walgreens at Tulane & Loyola. The Subway next to the former Walgreens will also be closing down due to this project.
Oh, so the gym will not be for regular people to use? Just for TUPD?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 12:28 AM
-

Great shot of the progress being made at NOMA’s Besthoff Sculpture Garden expansion.

Woodward Service Group is the contractor behind the restoration of Hibernia Tower’s iconic cupola

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l.../289-572810200

500 Basin St·Design Review · Project #DR111-18 · Ref Code: 1C3NUX
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
The Arts Council New Orleans
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
7/19/2018
Closed:
No
Description
DAC review of a public project for improvements to a bus island in the Basin Street right-of-way.

500 Basin St·Design Review · Project #DR111-18 · Ref Code: 1C3NUX
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
The Arts Council New Orleans
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
7/19/2018
Closed:
No
Description
DAC review of a public project for improvements to a bus island in the Basin Street right-of-way.

3604 Washington Ave·New Construction · Ref Code: R7X531
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Kyle Hamm
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/17/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Build 1,418 sqft warehouse according to plans and specs by Marc Berard.

djsnola
3984 Tchoupitoulas St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: QQQEXP
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Ben Allen
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/20/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Conversion of existing 560 SF wood-framed structure (previously a residence, and prior to that a bar) and outdoor yard to small (<50) restaurant use.

803 General Pershing St, 821 General Pershing St, 4219 Constance St, 8·Design Review · Project #DR109-18 · Ref Code: LNW14H
Download (10) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Ecole Bilingue
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
7/12/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Review of a Campus Development Plan for Ecole Bilingue in an HU-B1 District and CPC Design Overlay Dis

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 3:48 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by socigradstudent View Post
I heard Tulane was opening a gym at the site of the former Walgreens at Loyola and Tulane Ave downtown.
I didn't realize the Walgreens had closed. I guess the CVS in South Market is better positioned to serve Warehouse District residents. Hopefully with the growth in that area Walgreens will open another location, maybe closer to the Convention Center to serve the riverside half of Warehouse District.

Things like this help make a neighborhood walkable so you don't need to hop in your car just to get basic necessities.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 7:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I didn't realize the Walgreens had closed. I guess the CVS in South Market is better positioned to serve Warehouse District residents. Hopefully with the growth in that area Walgreens will open another location, maybe closer to the Convention Center to serve the riverside half of Warehouse District.

Things like this help make a neighborhood walkable so you don't need to hop in your car just to get basic necessities.
i can assure you the reason that walgreens closed had nothing to do with the amount of people in the area and everything to do with that bus stop and the sketchy people always hanging out in front of it.. i live two blocks away and never stepped foot in it once

id like to see more of this type of thing.. makes the urban environment more interesting I think:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 9:44 PM
-

501 Elysian Fields Ave·New Construction · Ref Code: GRKY3B
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Francisco Alecha
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/21/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Hampton Inn by Hilton. New 4 story 133 room wood framed hotel with concrete floor over garage. Sprinkler, fire alarm, two elevators. Outdoor pool. HDLC review Faubourg Marigny.

djsnola
4528 Freret St·Zoning Change, Conditional Use · Project #18-1232 · Ref Code: 10KW7L
Type:
Zoning Change, Conditional Use
Applicant:
Neighborhood Housing Services Of New Orleans
Draft Application
Date Filed:
7/23/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Zoning change and conditional use to create a grocery on the bottom floors, do multi-family on the top floors, and rescind the former conditional use for a bar.

803 General Pershing St, 821 General Pershing St, 4219 Constance St, 8·Design Review · Project #DR109-18 · Ref Code: LNW14H
Download (10) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Ecole Bilingue
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
7/12/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Review of a Campus Development Plan for Ecole Bilingue in an HU-B1 District and CPC Design Overlay District.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:20 AM
NOLA Razorback

[/QUOTE]

This is cool? Who's suggesting doing this?

Also I hope they don't allow that Hampton Inn to be built in the Marigny. Besides the fact its terribly ugly, thats seriously the last thing the fabric of that neighborhood needs.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:32 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post

This is cool? Who's suggesting doing this?

Also I hope they don't allow that Hampton Inn to be built in the Marigny. Besides the fact its terribly ugly, thats seriously the last thing the fabric of that neighborhood needs.
Arts council of Nola is doing the crosswalks... they are supposedly doing many around town .. i always think its neat

Honestly i dont feel one bit sorry for the Marigny .. they screwed themselves by denying the elisio a few years back and get to reap the rewards.... this is why you dont let nimbys speak for you because you end up getting screwed

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 6:17 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Arts council of Nola is doing the crosswalks... they are supposedly doing many around town .. i always think its neat

Honestly i dont feel one bit sorry for the Marigny .. they screwed themselves by denying the elisio a few years back and get to reap the rewards.... this is why you dont let nimbys speak for you because you end up getting screwed
Oh thats great! Would love to see some quirky crosswalks around town.

And i do agree with you on the Elisio project not getting built but still.. I'd rather not have a Hampton Inn as a personal reminder of some folks not so wise opinions.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Oh thats great! Would love to see some quirky crosswalks around town.

And i do agree with you on the Elisio project not getting built but still.. I'd rather not have a Hampton Inn as a personal reminder of some folks not so wise opinions.
They made it look a little better last renderings I saw but zoning wise theres not a damn thing they can do to stop it! Again its why people need to fight back against these small but vocal nimby groups that result in worse developments not better! proof is there about the results

This is what they could have had:

but thanks to their bitching about the building wanting a height waiver for the section closest to Elysian fields a busy street and being next to an entergy substation the neighborhood jerks said no

so this is what you get instead!!!!

and they could have had it even worse because this was original design

so anyone that hates this result can email FMIA and thank them !

President@faubourgmarigny.org

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 24, 2018 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:08 PM
TL;DR

To be honest, the Elisio just looks pretty because of the string lights. It's a good rendering of a meh building. That siding would have looked dated the second it was built. I would prefer residential there myself over hotel, but architecturally it's kind of a wash for me personally.

The neighborhood probably will still consider this a victory because "6 stories bad, 4 stories better (1 story best)".

Via Latrobe to me is a more sophisticated concept, good version 2 from Sean Cummings and a step up from Elisio. The architecture there is also very simple and not super historicist, but the gimmicky siding is gone and the layout of pedestrian streets and courtyards is pretty great. Speaking of which... any news on that? Cummings got all his approvals, but can he actually get it off the ground?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
To be honest, the Elisio just looks pretty because of the string lights. It's a good rendering of a meh building. That siding would have looked dated the second it was built. I would prefer residential there myself over hotel, but architecturally it's kind of a wash for me personally.

The neighborhood probably will still consider this a victory because "6 stories bad, 4 stories better (1 story best)".

Via Latrobe to me is a more sophisticated concept, the architecture there is also very simple and not super historic, but the layout of pedestrian streets and courtyards is pretty great.
The elisio proposal is now almost 8 years old ... my point was dont expect any thing interesting to be proposed in a neigbborhood thats acts that way ... the hampton inn is probably the best they can hope for ... these people would have ruined the riverfront ofer there too if they had gotten their way in the czo

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 2:22 PM

^ Frankly, I'd be super annoyed as Tennis is. The former design still was better. Windows are larger, and I bet it would've allowed better designed volumes and interiors.

Bah, within a few weeks, I'll post some pictures of my inner suburb on here myself, to show you guys that you're at least not alone in this struggle.

I guess it's always a comfort to be aware that you have mates facing the same kind of stupidity, or even worse somewhere in the world.
Lol.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:27 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
They made it look a little better last renderings I saw but zoning wise theres not a damn thing they can do to stop it! Again its why people need to fight back against these small but vocal nimby groups that result in worse developments not better! proof is there about the results

This is what they could have had:

but thanks to their bitching about the building wanting a height waiver for the section closest to Elysian fields a busy street and being next to an entergy substation the neighborhood jerks said no

so this is what you get instead!!!!

and they could have had it even worse because this was original design

so anyone that hates this result can email FMIA and thank them !

President@faubourgmarigny.org
Yeah I agree with you, I always liked the Elisio project. At least the 2nd renderings for the hotel are better than those god awful first ones.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 3:38 PM

I disagree... The contemporary design was better, forward looking.

Holy shit, I guess you'll like my crappy suburb, then!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 5:56 PM
-

4528 Freret St·Zoning Change, Conditional Use · Project #18-1232 · Ref Code: 10KW7L
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Zoning Change, Conditional Use
Applicant:
Neighborhood Housing Services Of New Orleans
Draft Application
Date Filed:
7/23/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Zoning change and conditional use to create a grocery on the bottom floors, do multi-family on the top floors, and rescind the former conditional use for a bar.

533 Third St·New Construction · Ref Code: BT1X75
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Charles Neyrey
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/24/2018
Closed:
No
Description
This application is meant for the purposes of review by the ARC. This application pertains to the construction of 15 new single family residences, to be located on the following lots: 521 Third Street, 533 Third St, 520 2nd St, 2509 Rousseau St, 2511 Rousseau St. This application is being filed in order to gain conceptual approval of 5 Prototypes to be located on the 15 lots, as per the HDLC Proviso, which was determined during the HDLC review of the demolition of the existing warehouse buildings on the site. An application for the major resubdivision of these existing lots into 15 individual lots has already been submitted and is under review.

djsnola
210 State St·New Construction · Ref Code: 1J4S3Y
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Martin Johnson
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/24/2018
Closed:
No
Description
A new Behavioral Health Hospital.

1111 Tulane Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: 47HRES
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Zella May
Application Review
Date Filed:
7/20/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Change of use to Hotel. No work to be done. No plumbing, electrical, and HVAC.
Im assuming this will become a stay adam or sonder property.. makes more sense to do this!

Last edited by tennis1400; Jul 24, 2018 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ Frankly, I'd be super annoyed as Tennis is. The former design still was better. Windows are larger, and I bet it would've allowed better designed volumes and interiors.

Bah, within a few weeks, I'll post some pictures of my inner suburb on here myself, to show you guys that you're at least not alone in this struggle.

I guess it's always a comfort to be aware that you have mates facing the same kind of stupidity, or even worse somewhere in the world.
Lol.
Funnily enough I'm in your city right now wishing we could have more 6-8 floor buildings back in New Orleans. Paris does them so well in the older parts. That being said, it's funny how when you get to the outer areas that have more slightly taller "tower" like buildings with gates around them that the street is completely dead.

However I am of mixed opinion on the area in question. I think in those areas nearer the river 5-7 floors should be standard zoning so there isn't a question of density. But a lot of the "modern" designs proposed in New Orleans have been plain ugly or cheap looking. It's possible to design something attractive without being faux-historic.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 9:30 PM
-

Someone sent me some pictures they took today:

Reilly Foods Complex

Rehab work on Canal:

Hard Rock Hotel and Residences:

WWII Museum Expansion and American Sector Enclosure:

This building is so well done(419 Carondelet)

Residence Inn St Charles:

The Higgins Hotel :

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 9:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
That being said, it's funny how when you get to the outer areas that have more slightly taller "tower" like buildings with gates around them that the street is completely dead.

no matter where you go in the world "towers in a park" never works from a urban design and pedestrian friendly perspective... it kills the vibe

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 3:43 PM
NOLA Razorback

I gotta say the colors they chose for 419 Carondelet are so good. That black trim looks amazing.

Reily foods buildings are really coming out great too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations