HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 9:31 PM

I’m hoping if this thing actually gets built we get more of a traditional ballpark. They’re trying too hard to stand out.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 2:48 AM

Absolutely spectacular. Love how it would spur other development in the area as well. Very cool roof. Modern and different. Sightlines look amazing. Bravo!!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 9:40 PM
A before E

I am really liking this proposal, I am curious how this is going to connect with transit because it is in a bit of an odd location.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am really liking this proposal, I am curious how this is going to connect with transit because it is in a bit of an odd location.
My modest prediction: This will NEVER happen. Because... a) MLB is using us for leverage, again, and not actual serious about locating a team here; and/or b) the cost of related infrastructure at this location will be MASSIVE and will scuttle any potential deal because there will not be enough baseball-loving Portlanders who are willing to put up the tax money to make it viable. I am actually astonished that anyone thinks this site is suitable for a large sporting venue.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 11:23 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

The concept for the ballpark sure is fantastic.

Quote:
I am curious how this is going to connect with transit because it is in a bit of an odd location.
I'm curious about that too. Even if the streetcar was extended that far north, it can't handle that kind of ridership. The MAX barely can for Blazer games. People sometimes forget how much smaller the streetcar is compared to the MAX.

That's the only thing I'm disappointed about with this concept. I wish it was on a MAX line. In a perfect world, it would have access to both MAX and the streetcar... but then again, in a perfect world, we'd already have an MLB team & it would be celebrating a 2018 championship

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 1:45 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
the cost of related infrastructure at this location will be MASSIVE and will scuttle any potential deal because there will not be enough baseball-loving Portlanders who are willing to put up the tax money to make it viable.
This.

I'm all for them building this stadium if they can somehow round up enough private funds to pay for it's construction and the subsequently needed infrastructure improvements.

I would even be ok with the city/state using some limited public funds if they could make a strong enough case that those funds could be recouped in the long term via tax collection the economic activity generated by the stadium, but I am skeptical that that would be the case.

I get that many Americans see greater value in sports than I do personally, but even still I'm not sure that limited public funds should be funneled into entertainment. Especially when we have many larger issues such as homelessness, affordable housing, poor basic infrastructure (I walk home every day on a gravel road in the middle of the city), overcrowded jails, an understaffed police force etc etc.

I get that stadiums and sports teams are exciting, fun and sexy... but they are hardly essential parts of a functioning city.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 2:20 AM

I was surprised the gondola was a ballpark gimmick and not an aerial tram solution up Naito to bridge the gap with the MAX.

Anyway...

Quote:
Mayor Ted Wheeler: Public money could support development, roads around baseball stadium
Updated 3:03 PM; Posted 2:53 PM
By Elliot Njus enjus@oregonian.com

Mayor Ted Wheeler left the door open for public money to help support a development anchored by a new major-league ballpark in Northwest Portland.

Wheeler said Friday he had told the Portland Diamond Project that the city wouldn’t pay for a stadium or buy a team.

But he said development fee waivers and tax breaks are still on the table. The city, he said, also could absorb some costs related to transportation and other infrastructure such as utility service.

“It would be very naive to assume there will be no public contribution in any large-scale economic development strategy, in any urban development we do,” he said. “It’s just way too early to tell.”

That could, he said, include financing infrastructure costs by borrowing against future tax revenue from the ballpark, a strategy known as tax increment financing.

The city has frequently made contributions to large-scale developments like the Pearl District and the South Waterfront. It also last year approved a relatively small tax break to the Portland Timbers, forgoing $2 million in ticket tax revenue from new seats created at Providence Park in the expansion currently under construction.

The project’s backers already have said they intend to tap $150 million in state-backed bonds already approved by the Legislature. The bonds would be paid back with an income tax on player and management salaries.
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 2:29 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
...That could, he said, include financing infrastructure costs by borrowing against future tax revenue from the ballpark, a strategy known as tax increment financing.

The project’s backers already have said they intend to tap $150 million in state-backed bonds already approved by the Legislature. The bonds would be paid back with an income tax on player and management salaries.
Yeah, see this all seems reasonable. I could support the project on these terms. It will be interesting to see how this all develops.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 2:53 AM
A before E

Quote:
My modest prediction: This will NEVER happen. Because... a) MLB is using us for leverage, again, and not actual serious about locating a team here; and/or b) the cost of related infrastructure at this location will be MASSIVE and will scuttle any potential deal because there will not be enough baseball-loving Portlanders who are willing to put up the tax money to make it viable. I am actually astonished that anyone thinks this site is suitable for a large sporting venue.
I have been watching this for a while and I think there is a very good chance this will happen since MLB does want to expand the league by two more teams. Portland is currently one of the only cities that have a plan this well formed. Also Portland is a much bigger city than it was the last time they tried for the Nationals and even then were a top contender for possible locations of the Nationals.

As for fan support, I don't see Portland being any different than the Mariners in attendance and viewership numbers. I could see a Portland team averaging 25-28K in attendance.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
I have been watching this for a while and I think there is a very good chance this will happen since MLB does want to expand the league by two more teams. Portland is currently one of the only cities that have a plan this well formed. Also Portland is a much bigger city than it was the last time they tried for the Nationals and even then were a top contender for possible locations of the Nationals.

As for fan support, I don't see Portland being any different than the Mariners in attendance and viewership numbers. I could see a Portland team averaging 25-28K in attendance.

It should also be noted that the league divisions are geographically out of balance. MLB needs another team on the West Coast to balance them out and reduce divisional travel time/costs.. IMO

On a separate note, i would like to see a new bridge, similar to Tillikum, built North of the Broadway bridge. We need to get Max off the steel bridge and this might be a golden opportunity to do it...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:07 PM

A ferry service could really be valuable in this location. We really need to start using the waterways better in pdx. Incredible opportunity to do this. Even the rose garden could benefit.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 11:50 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The concept for the ballpark sure is fantastic.

I'm curious about that too. Even if the streetcar was extended that far north, it can't handle that kind of ridership. The MAX barely can for Blazer games. People sometimes forget how much smaller the streetcar is compared to the MAX.

That's the only thing I'm disappointed about with this concept. I wish it was on a MAX line. In a perfect world, it would have access to both MAX and the streetcar... but then again, in a perfect world, we'd already have an MLB team & it would be celebrating a 2018 championship
Portland should take a page from Los Angeles' transit playbook for Dodger Stadium, a hugely successful transit-oriented development around the stadium that is set for a massive expansion. Currently, the highly successful Boring Company is planning on building a hyperloop from the LA metro system to Dodger Stadium, in addition to the 16,000 parking spaces surrounding the stadium. This will allow you to drive your car from the metro train car into a tunnel that zips you the last mile to the station, where you can park and then walk to the stadium. Pretty much a done deal at this time too, 100% privately funded!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 11:54 PM

haven't seen in it mentioned in this thread, but zoning will be another HUGE issue and one that would not likely be resolved in the time frame that PDP has in mind (factoring in construction duration).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:12 AM
RCTID

Quote:
haven't seen in it mentioned in this thread, but zoning will be another HUGE issue and one that would not likely be resolved in the time frame that PDP has in mind (factoring in construction duration).
You don’t think this has already been discussed with the city before coming to a agreement in principle? The project just came to public light recently, but this has been going on in the background for awhile.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
You don’t think this has already been discussed with the city before coming to a agreement in principle? The project just came to public light recently, but this has been going on in the background for awhile.
In fairness, the negotiated agreement was with the Port of Portland and not the City of Portland. It's possible the convos with the city are just beginning.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
In fairness, the negotiated agreement was with the Port of Portland and not the City of Portland. It's possible the convos with the city are just beginning.
that, and the fact that it's an "agreement to come to an agreement", as I understand it.

I'm actually astonished that the Port signed on to this potential use. they and Metro have been bemoaning the limited large parcel developable land in the Metro area for years.

understand that I am not with the anti-MLB in Portland brigade. BUT, it has to be done with private money (mostly?) and in a way that doesn't straddle the city with an enormous structure that sacrifices other needs. I thought the PPS site in NE would've been nearly perfect for this use. this site, however, has way too many challenges and overlapping interests to be compelling to me.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 11:16 PM
RCTID

Quote:
Not sure if you have followed this process but the group has been having meeting with not only the city of Portland but MLB as well. This has been going on behind the scenes for a while.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article..._backers_1.amp

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
Not sure if you have followed this process but the group has been having meeting with not only the city of Portland but MLB as well. This has been going on behind the scenes for a while.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article..._backers_1.amp
Yeah, I'd expect the baseball group to by lobbying city hall as they'll need those relationships and their support if this is to become a reality. I don't know how much conversation has happened about this particular site with the CoP. Currently, all we know is the agreement to agree is with the Port of Portland and Mayor Wheeler has said the city is expected to contribute, but hasn't stipulated how in regards to the PDP secured/preferred site.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'd expect the baseball group to by lobbying city hall as they'll need those relationships and their support if this is to become a reality. I don't know how much conversation has happened about this particular site with the CoP. Currently, all we know is the agreement to agree is with the Port of Portland and Mayor Wheeler has said the city is expected to contribute, but hasn't stipulated how in regards to the PDP secured/preferred site.
Good write up here regarding the zoning issues:

https://www.opb.org/news/article/por...l-land-zoning/

One huge takeaway:

Quote:
Planners and people more familiar with the land-use process are less optimistic, at least about the timing. Rezoning Terminal 2 would require the approval of the city planning commission, the Portland City Council and the Metro regional council. Opponents would get multiple opportunities to appeal along the way.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Good write up here regarding the zoning issues:

https://www.opb.org/news/article/por...l-land-zoning/

One huge takeaway:
For a project of this significance, I wouldn't be surprised if the Oregon legislature stepped in. They have done so for the CRC, light rail projects, and the urban reserves "grand bargain".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment