HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 10:11 PM

The Hive today. Construction has started!

Hive, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:43 PM

Aberdeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post

That Aberdeen development is a whole lot of urban sprawl. I guess single family lots are needed and good how it includes a commercial centre and school.
It's also got a fairly decent amount of multi-family vs single-family at 50:50, as does West Highlands to the, well, west. https://www.aberdeenhighlands.ca/wes...s/master-plan/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 7:14 PM

Kelowna may be reaching impressive new heights with their 30+ storey developments, but Kamloops still has nicer mid-rise density throughout the city, particularly downtown. Surely the growth the interior is experiencing will not be slowing down any time soon

I'm excited to see a project like The Hive revitalize that part of town. Nice design and appropriate size. Will have to come see it for myself once it takes shape.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 7:32 PM

Ya i would love to see Kamloops (and Castlegar) boom for a while!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:01 PM

This is nothing special, but might finally get rid of an eyesore that has been sitting on the hill between downtown and TRU for probably a decade now. This project has gone through multiple investors so hopefully this time it gets finished.

Instead of market apartments it looks like they're turning it into a "luxury rental community". The views from this site are amazing so would be a nice place to live. The original plan had 5 Mediterranean style buildings, but only 1 ever got finished. The plan now is to finish the 2 started buildings and construct 1 additional building, so there will be 4 in total.

Summit , on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdave View Post
Kelowna may be reaching impressive new heights with their 30+ storey developments, but Kamloops still has nicer mid-rise density throughout the city, particularly downtown. Surely the growth the interior is experiencing will not be slowing down any time soon

I'm excited to see a project like The Hive revitalize that part of town. Nice design and appropriate size. Will have to come see it for myself once it takes shape.
I've commented before that downtown Kamloops feels big city, not quite downtown Vancouver but maybe West Broadway, Westend, or New Westminster, thanks to the mix of old and new mid to high rises. The Hive is a fantasic project. Kamloops and Victoria is density on a human scale.

I love Kelowna but it's going to take decades for the downtown core to feel big city, plus Landmark is winning the commercial office space war. My biggest issue is they're going for these tall projects when there are so many surface parking lots begging for any development.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 9:40 PM

Construction looks to be starting on apartment at 5th & St. Paul. Fencing went up this week. Nice to see another dirt parking lot being developed.

5th , on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 8:20 PM

RIH surgical tower

May 2019

1 , on Flickr

Feb 2020

Feb 2020 , on Flickr

July 2020

July , on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 4:45 PM

Well this is interesting from Mel Rothenburger. 10 projects that newer went ahead. What's your top three?

https://cfjctoday.com/2020/08/08/rot...UJaZDv7G_6_XmY

Here is my top three
Padova City/Tranquille on the Lake
North Kamloops Hockey team
Singh Street Bridge

The Sedric theme park is unbelievably ambitious.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdave View Post

The fact that downtown Kamloops is at the heart of the city and has people going through it to get around helps as well. On the other hand you have to make a deliberate trip to downtown Kelowna. You are not going to make a quick stop in downtown Kelowna on the way home.

Kamloops is also a lot less sprawling than Kelowna so it makes it easier to get into and out of downtown. Having downtown as a major transportation hub does have its downsides as the one way streets limit the pedestrian appeal of large parts of downtown.

That being said Kamloops is building like crazy at the moment.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 10:47 PM

I like Kamloops' downtown a lot and think it has a ton of potential. I'd say that Kelowna's recent development boom has certainly elevated it to a different level though. This is partly due to the density of new buildings, yes the mid- and high-rises, but also the low-rise 4/5 storey residential/office/institutional (e.g. the Library, Interior Health building, Accelerate building, and the copious low-rise residential). However, it is also equally due to public realm improvements. While these developments have created more streets with urban street walls, they have also dramatically improved the public realm. Many downtown streets now have bump outs, plantings, street trees, wider sidewalks and bike lanes. Kamloops' public realm, outside of Victoria street lacks this. The current development will help it get there too though and, as much as the individual buildings themselves, I'm excited to see an elevated public realm.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 6:04 PM

Lunch hour walk around downtown.

Victory Place on Battle Street.
DT Aug , on Flickr

RIH surgical tower. Starting to stand out from Columbia Street.
DT Aug , on Flickr

DT Aug, on Flickr

Apartment going in on 5th and St. Paul
DT Aug , on Flickr

Lightwell Building
DT Aug , on Flickr

Apartment going in at 6th and Victoria Street
DT Aug , on Flickr

The Hive - still digging down. Crane now up.
DT Aug , on Flickr

DT Aug , on Flickr

The Marquees - View from Lorne Street
DT Aug , on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 8:14 PM

Very excited to see The Hive off to a quick start.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 9:37 PM

The Hive from the Delta across the alley. Looks like they've got to the bottom. Footings are being formed.

Hive1 , on Flickr

Hive1 , on Flickr

Hive1 , on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 11:44 PM

Nice!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:03 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Fantastic updates, VantageHD. I'm loving all of these new projects going up in Kamloops.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:32 PM

Sounds like the Kelson Group is making an announcement in the next couple weeks for their downtown project.

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/new...les-1.24201562

Quote:
The company is also in the midst of planning a major multi-million-dollar redevelopment downtown.

In the past few years, the Kelson Group purchased two high-rise apartment buildings downtown, along with other land, in a deal worth an estimated $25 million.

Along with the purchase in October 2017 of the two 10-storey apartment buildings — The Pines on the southeast corner of Battle Street and Fourth Avenue and The Oaks on the southwest corner of Battle Street and Fourth Avenue — Kelson also also bought parcels of land on Nicola Street, between Fourth and Fifth avenues, and the vacant lot on the southeast corner of St. Paul Street and Fifth Avenue, which is then sold to the City of Kamloops, on which social housing will rise.

In total, the purchase includes 1.4 hectares (3.44 acres) of land.
Kelson bought the high-rise properties from Argus Homes, a Kamloops family-owned business that built the highrises in the 1960s and managed the properties for three generations.

In the fall of 2017, the company said its downtown plan includes building four to six multi-family buildings in the next decade, which are expected to add 300 to 500 new residential units downtown, composed of a mix of rental suites, condos, and townhomes, along with green spaces.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 5:43 AM

It would be great to see Kamloops get a 20 storey building in the near future

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 8:09 PM

Really nice looking buildings. I'm glad it doesn't involve the demolition of an existing high rise building.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloo...amloops#311153

Photo source: Kelson Group

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 8:49 PM

^^ Agreed on both fronts. I am glad that the existing buildings and units are retained, and that this is in addition to. I like the building, very Kamloops in its colour-scheme. Really surprised to see something of this magnitude. Wow. This will be a great project for the city. Too bad that cluster of beautiful older homes will be lost though...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia