HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:49 PM

Request: Post the exotic flora of Vancouver

This is a request from Toronto where we have fewer people with green thumbs. Well, maybe it's just the climate on the west coast that has an effect on people. Please post beautiful images of exotic plants such as bamboo, evergreen magnolia and of course palms among other exotics... In the Vancouver area urban landscape and mountains. I saw great photos of palms by the sea but what about palms in front of mountain snow? Any unique photos like that anyone? There are a number of photos on the Internet but they are of the scientific kind. Vancouver must be seen for how beautiful it really is. That statement is so true when you live in Toronto and then visit Vancouver. Don't forget to post Vancouver landmarks. Let us in the east see what Vancouver is made of. I saw palms on building terraces. Very green and unique. That's what we should see more out of Vancouver. Beautiful as always but different than all other major cities in Canada.

Don't laugh the Leafs won a playoff game. Trees are starting to turn green and our temperatures are similar. God forbid it's so nice and sunny.

Thanks to those who post great images of the west coast on this forum. Much enjoyed from the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ontario
Vancouverites should plant more palm trees because they just add to the landscape there. I like the ocean and palms trees at English Bay. We Torontonians have nothing like English Bay and there was sleet yesterday in North York. It snow on April 20th. We had an ice storm too this April. Our climates are sooo different. Vancouver is not as rainy as non-Vancouverites say or think it is. I agree with that because of my travels. And the summers in Victoria are very dry. Big, damaging summertime thunderstorms in Victoria are as rare as palm trees in Toronto. We don't have the year-round palm trees but we do get big tropical-like thinderstorms all across southern Ontario. We have palm trees in pots for the summer or big plastic palm trees at businesses or in private gardens. The plastic palm trees actually look silly especially when there is week after week of snowcover in the winter.

Let's say like 15 years ago palm trees and winter plants in Vancouver were like a myth heard in eastern Canada. Now you can see picture after picture of palm trees on the west coast. I read online that all of the palm trees at English Bay are donations to the city of Vancouver. It's just too bad that we can't copy English Bay on the Toronto waterfront. It's just ridiculous that they grow eucalyptus in Victoria, BC while I wait all of April to see green leaves appear on trees here. You can clearly see my frustration.

Anyways, Vancouver is a nice city. And plant palm trees for those living east of the Rockies who just can't grow them. We can enjoy Vancouver on our visits or moves. Keep it beautiful.

"Thank you for your gracious post. " replied Trofirhen. Well I'm glad that Vancouver accept compliments because it deserves many.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:21 PM

Some new palms were just planted near Sunset Beach to add to the growing concentration of them down there. These ones are quite large and very filled out. You can get a better sense of their size in the second pic. Pics are mine from this past weekend (April 30).

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 8:45 PM

Thanks!

Those are pretty tall!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos