HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 7, 2009, 4:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigirdbers View Post
I disagree with you guys. I "fleed the state" to get a good education because Arizona doesn't have any universities REMOTELY comparable to Georgetown terms of quality of education. You can't give all of the best and brightest Flynns. However if the state, instead of spending all this money on these other colleges funneled it all into UofA (and let them raise their tuition) and tried to bring it onto par with schools like Michigan, Virginia, UNC, Berkeley, UCLA, and Texas, I think much more top talent would stay in state. Universities of this caliber also attract a lot of really smart people from out of state many of whom decide to settle down where they got their education after receiving their diplomas. UofA is the only university in Arizona that has the potential to reach this level and already has a pretty good rep. Give the best and brightest a place where we can get an incredible education in Arizona and I think you will see the state reap greater benefits then creating schools "lower" on the hierarchy then ASU/U of A. We should aim for the top, not the bottom. This whole affordability issue is getting redic. Do you guys know how much people pay in-state at the UC's?
I disagree with you. States need to have schools in all tiers that way they can accommodate the entire population.

Let me use Colorado as a example. We have great colleges like the Colorado School of Mines, Colorado College, DU in Denver, CU, UCCS, CU Medical School, CSU Fort Collins, CSU - Pueblo, Adams State, Western State etc. That allows us to give the opportunity to as many people as possible to get a degree. That is one reason why we are becoming the countries renewable energy leader and a have large space industry among others. I think Arizona would be better to adopt that model then to have a few school that only one or two segments of the population can go to, rather its the top tier or lower tier.

I am not sure if there is a coalition here but how many hospitals in Arizona have level 1 or 2 trauma centers? I know a level 1 trauma center works with a university and a level 2 teaches as well. In fact I have met people interning at Saint Mary Corwin Medical Center in Pueblo. This goes with my first point, that more universities that attract a broader range of people is only better for a state.

Last edited by Eeyore; May 7, 2009 at 4:47 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest