HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:09 PM

Did the "California Dream" finally end this week after a long struggle?

Fires statewide, including one caused by lightening in the Santa Cruz Mountains
that appears to have sadly destroyed some of the ancient redwoods of Big Basin. Record heat. Record homelessness. Crime soaring. Housing out of reach. The pandemic. California has been through tough times before, but his time it seems much worse. California may bounce back, but maybe not to the old heights. I am contemplating a move to upstate New York, perhaps to the shores of one of the Finger Lakes. Goodbye California. It was great.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:12 PM

Jeez dude, you really like to have these "it's all doom" takes. It's having a rough year like most of the country is. Chicago and NYC aren't doing great either, and they have the same articles. Crime soaring? Do you have articles for this? Record heat for the year, or a few weeks? The weather wasn't that bad at all until a couple of weeks ago. There's always been fires, they're just bigger than before. Same for homelessness, although that seems its up all over the country by many accounts. Housing has been out of reach for years.

I wasn't here for 2008, but it sounded like LA/Inland Empire and California went through hell for a few years.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Jeez dude, you really like to have these "it's all doom" takes. It's having a rough year like most of the country is. Chicago and NYC aren't doing great either, and they have the same articles. Crime soaring? Do you have articles for this?
Read the paper. Watch the news. Maybe we are at peak gloom and things will improve. I hope so. But it looks quite awful. Maybe I'm grumpy from social distancing. But reading & watching the news has me a bit down. Didn't help that my sweet cat Maya passed recently. I feel like Job. What's next--a quake? Upstate NY looks good in comparison, and cheaper too. I don't mind cold winters. Better than infernal summers.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:20 PM

I do, often. And LA reddit's a great place of bad and good. To me that's more real than a news article, btw. You get hundreds of opinions in different parts of the city.
Anyway, I'm not seeing alot of "crime soaring" discussions. Chicago's or NYC"s reddit is full of that stuff the last few weeks. Covid numbers are doing better lately, less cases, less deaths, less hospitalizations etc.

It's not great for sure, but most of the country isn't either. It's just a awful year.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:21 PM

There's a major fire now every single year, I would not put up with that crap. Don't know how they do it. Those blackouts and extreme heat dont sound nice either.

Upstate NY seems really nice if you can make a good living there.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
that appears to have sadly destroyed some of the ancient redwoods of Big Basin. Record heat. Record homelessness. Crime soaring. Housing out of reach. The pandemic. California has been through tough times before, but his time it seems much worse. California may bounce back, but maybe not to the old heights. I am contemplating a move to upstate New York, perhaps to the shores of one of the Finger Lakes. Goodbye California. It was great.
California's annual and endemic fires are not a problem LOL.

California being ruled by a single party seemingly full of idiots and activists only is what the problem is. And like all mismanaged institutions when times get tough those problems are amplified tenfold.

And like all people and organizations most will not correct their issues until they have to because of outside forces. This is a well run pattern through history and in your own life if you think about it.

So yeah, California has problems and they seem especially stark right now. And they will probably be forced to actually deal with those problems over the coming years as they deal with the fallout.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
There's a major fire now every single year, I would not put up with that crap. Don't know how they do it. Those blackouts and extreme heat dont sound nice either.

There have been major fires in California every year since long before any humans lived there. What you have is more people around to be in the fire's way and also more ways to spread hysteria about said fires

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:24 PM

Probably the only thing capable of ending California is the big one, which will probably happen this year the way things have been going *knocks on the nearest wood* Fires and moderate earthquakes are par for the course. The homelessness is an issue but the "California dream" as you phrase it is pretty much just lucking out by breaking into a career that can sustain you a nice living, and since it's luck, there's going to be plenty of failures that either leave or hit the streets.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

What do you mean put up with? It doesn't hamper our lives, really. Hurricanes seems more pesky. The smoke can be annoying a few days a year, and it can affect traffic maybe, but unless you live near those areas, it's not really a issue. Blackouts? You mean for a few days for some people for the first time in 20 years?

It's not like the freezing cold, something you have to deal with every day in the winter. Lets be real.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Fires, heat, even earthquakes are part of the deal in California. But the homeless situation and accompanying property crime is not. My neighborhood near Studio City in Los Angeles has become a sewer of lost humanity over the past 5 years. Foot traffic in the area has become like a scene out of the Walking Dead. Housing prices are absurd. Taxes rates are horrific. I liked LA for the first 15 years. The city has gone downhill rapidly the past 5 years. I've accepted a job in Texas and we are moving next week. I'll miss the weather, and the mountains, but that's about it at this point.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
Fires, heat, even earthquakes are part of the deal in California. But the homeless situation and accompanying property crime is not. My neighborhood near Studio City in Los Angeles has become a sewer of lost humanity over the past 5 years. Foot traffic in the area has become like a scene out of the Walking Dead. Housing prices are absurd. Taxes rates are horrific. I liked LA for the first 15 years. The city has gone downhill rapidly the past 5 years. I've accepted a job in Texas and we are moving next week. I'll miss the weather, and the mountains, but that's about it at this point.
I go to Studio City 3 times a week. It's fine. Where are the walking dead exactly? You mean all the women in yoga pants everywhere?
There's only one stretch that seems sketchy, Laurel Canyon under the 101. But I believe they cleared that out.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:39 PM

I really don't get the doom and gloom/apocalypse crap that people love to revel in (mainly westerners and/or converts/adherents to an Abrahamic faith).

Things happen in cycles; nothing is permanent.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I go to Studio City 3 times a week. It's fine. Where are the walking dead exactly? There's only one stretch that seems sketchy, Laurel Canyon under the 101. But I believe they cleared that out.
I said near Studio City. Check out the Vineland and Moorpark undercrossings under the 101. Check out the Lankershim undercrossing under the 135 , it's a horrific slum. Look at the people lying on the sidewalk along Lankershim and Riverside. Look at the broken down motorhomes parked along Riverside near Lankershim. Look at the park and ride lot filled with broken down motorhomes on Ventura near Universal City. Watch the Ring videos of property crimes being committed by people wearing huge backpacks. None of the above (aside from Ring videos, which were not as prevalent) were problems in this part of town 5 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:42 PM

I don't either and stuff has already been exaggerated on this thread. The only real difference I see after traveling in the city last couple of weeks it's less pedestrians and traffic, which is a good thing since we're in the pandemic. Oh, and more vacant storefronts than usual, but that's in every damn place in the country.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I said near Studio City. Check out the Vineland and Moorpark undercrossings under the 101. Check out the Lankershim undercrossing under the 135 , it's a horrific slum. Look at the people lying on the sidewalk along Lankershim and Riverside. Look at the broken down motorhomes parked along Riverside near Lankershim. Look at the park and ride lot filled with broken down motorhomes on Ventura near Universal City. Watch the Ring videos of property crimes being committed by people wearing huge backpacks. None of the above (aside from Ring videos, which were not as prevalent) were problems in this part of town 5 years ago.
Sure, the underpasses have gotten gnarly, but I believe a Judge has ordered the city to take care of it, so the process has started. But the underpasses were never a pedestrian area.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Sure, the underpasses have gotten gnarly, but I believe a Judge has ordered the city to take care of it, so the process has started. But the underpasses were never a pedestrian area.
That's bullshit. The underpases have wide sidewalks and I used traverse them to walk to the grocery store and my favorite burger joint, amongst other places. I always drive to them now because the underpases are now disgusting and dirty and the homeless milling about under them can be hostile. The changes in the past 5 years in my local area of LA have had a negative impact on my life.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
That's bullshit. The underpases have wide sidewalks and I used traverse them to walk to the grocery store and my favorite burger joint, amongst other places. I always drive to them now because the underpases are now disgusting and dirty and the homeless milling about under them can be hostile. The changes in the past 5 years in my local area of LA have had a negative impact on my life.
It's not bullshit. Let me know of one neighborhood pedestrian area that has a freeway running through it. I'll wait. I don't even remember this happening in Chicago. Maybe in NYC, but that's just because of crazy density.

Most people are not walking under freeway passes. They're almost like barriers. It's probably the reason why the homeless set up there, lack of foot traffic and won't be bothered.
You might've, but don't try to say it's something common here. I walked under the 405 (Ventura, the busiest street) in Sherman Oaks to my job for 3 years, and I remember like 10 people doing the same in all that time. And Sherman Oaks/Encino is one of the better connected areas with the freeway seperating them.

Last edited by LA21st; Aug 21, 2020 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 12:11 AM

As long as California keeps dominating in investment, forget about it.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 12:21 AM

Yes, it's all over. Now go home.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 12:30 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
It's not bullshit. Let me know of one neighborhood pedestrian area that has a freeway running through it. I'll wait. I don't even remember this happening in Chicago. Maybe in NYC, but that's just because of crazy density.

Most people are not walking under freeway passes. They're almost like barriers. It's probably the reason why the homeless set up there, lack of foot traffic and won't be bothered.
You might've, but don't try to say it's something common here. I walked under the 405 (Ventura, the busiest street) in Sherman Oaks to my job for 3 years, and I remember like 10 people doing the same in all that time. And Sherman Oaks/Encino is one of the better connected areas with the freeway seperating them.
I'm trying to understand your point. Many of LA's denser and more pedestrian-oriented nodes have freeways and underpasses, and seem like fine places to walk (I'm a guy, if that matters).

Here's one of many: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0389.../data=!3m1!1e3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions