HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:14 PM

Thanks for the great photo updates Three Hundred and Westside! Webcor is really flying on the W project. Here is an update from their website:

http://www.webcor.com/current.html?proj_id=242

JUNE 2008

The W Hotel and Residences project is moving up fast, averaging a 10-day cycle for the hand-set hotel decks and currently has reached the 6th level. The hotel decks are an average of 18, 068 square feet in size.

The typical size of a condominium deck is 26,684 square feet and the project as recently reached the 7th level deck. Dual man lifts have been installed to service the hotel and condominiums. There are currently 4 man lifts on the W Hotel and Residences. Off-site fabrication of the architectural precast panels that will form most of the exterior skin for both the hotel and condominiums is underway. Erection of the panels is set to start in July.

Concrete is moving fast. In May, concrete was poured every single day. A total of 16 decks were poured during the month of May. Each of these decks averaged between ten thousand and fourteen thousand square feet. Over 3000 cubic yards were placed; often employing up to four of the six placing booms at the same time. Along with the consistent concrete work our team has also placed a sixty-five foot steel bridge at level 2, connecting the hotel and condominiums.

Upcoming milestones in the next few months include the start of architectural precast panel and curtain wall erection, setting of horizontal steel trusses off the 4th and 8th levels of the hotel and framing of walls through out the hotel and the basement.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 12:18 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
Thanks for the great photo updates Three Hundred and Westside! Webcor is really flying on the W project. Here is an update from their website:

http://www.webcor.com/current.html?proj_id=242

JUNE 2008

The W Hotel and Residences project is moving up fast, averaging a 10-day cycle for the hand-set hotel decks and currently has reached the 6th level. The hotel decks are an average of 18, 068 square feet in size.

The typical size of a condominium deck is 26,684 square feet and the project as recently reached the 7th level deck. Dual man lifts have been installed to service the hotel and condominiums. There are currently 4 man lifts on the W Hotel and Residences. Off-site fabrication of the architectural precast panels that will form most of the exterior skin for both the hotel and condominiums is underway. Erection of the panels is set to start in July.

Concrete is moving fast. In May, concrete was poured every single day. A total of 16 decks were poured during the month of May. Each of these decks averaged between ten thousand and fourteen thousand square feet. Over 3000 cubic yards were placed; often employing up to four of the six placing booms at the same time. Along with the consistent concrete work our team has also placed a sixty-five foot steel bridge at level 2, connecting the hotel and condominiums.

Upcoming milestones in the next few months include the start of architectural precast panel and curtain wall erection, setting of horizontal steel trusses off the 4th and 8th levels of the hotel and framing of walls through out the hotel and the basement.
Interesting... I cannot believe how quickly the W is coming along and how slowly the Pali House is moving.

Oh, and you may want to give thanks to the photographers too, dktshb and kingofthehill:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 12:21 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownCharlieBrown View Post
LOL - I love it. Yes, it will even have Cirque du Soleil.

Thanks for posting the pics Westsidelife and thanks for taking them dktshb. Fantastic photo update.
You're welcome I was actually going to originally post the photos here but I ended up taking photos that I wanted to post that weren't really new construction related. Thanks to westsidelife for moving them here too.

Cirque du Soleil coming to Hollywood is really exciting and significant. Hollywood is truly becoming a destination in and of itself.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 5:46 AM
Good Grief

HFF secures $27M for multifamily development in Hollywood

http://www.globest.com/news/1195_119.../172163-1.html

globe st.com

LOS ANGELES, CA - The Los Angeles office Holliday Fenoglio Fowler L.P. has arranged $27.19 million in joint venture equity on behalf of JPI Inc. for Jefferson at Hollywood, a multifamily development situated near mass transit options and the Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood.

HFF senior managing directors Paul Brindley and Doug Bond and managing directors Todd Sugimoto and Mark Wintner represented multifamily development firm JPI, and Fidelity Real Estate Group provided the equity.

Jefferson at Hollywood, slated for completion in 2010, will have 271 residential units averaging 881 sf, 8,500 sf of ground-floor retail and a subterranean 755-space parking garage. Amenities include a business center, clubhouse with concierge services, movie theatre, pool, Jacuzzi, outdoor grill, lounge and a fitness center

Jefferson at Hollywood is located on Highland Avenue adjacent to Hollywood & Highland, home to the Kodak Theatre, and near the MTA Red Line Station. “It’s really a great location,” says Bond, adding, “and one where there’s not a lot of residential currently.”

Brindley adds, “It’s transited-oriented, and the location will support very strong rents. We certainly have the expectation that it will achieve some of the highest rents in the market.”

Multifamily development in the Hollywood area has been fewer than1,500 units since in the last dozen years, the developers say. The West Los Angeles market, which enjoyed increased leasing activity and 1,949 units absorbed in 2007, saw its net absorption rate decrease by 14 units in the first quarter of 2008, with the large volume of new construction over the last 15 months pushing the overall average vacancy rate up to 5.4% in the first quarter, the highest level in at least a decade, according to a recent report by Hendrick & Partners.

Hollywood’s largest multifamily project is the mixed-use project Blvd6200, greenlighted by the Los Angeles City Council in July 2007. The 1.1 million sf project, adjacent to the Pantages Theatre, will provide more than 1,042 units of new rental housing, of which 10% are affordable, as well as live-work units. The $400-million mixed-use project will provide 40,000 sf of live/work/office space; 175,000 sf of retail/restaurant uses; 12,000 sf of open, public plazas; and adequate underground parking for all uses, including the Pantages Theatre. The Clarett Group is the developer of the project, which is situated on a seven-acre site that spans both sides of Hollywood Boulevard at Argyle Avenue east of Vine Street.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Oh, and you may want to give thanks to the photographers too, dktshb and kingofthehill:
My apologies, I didn't look closely enough. Thanks for taking the photos dktshb and king.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 12:56 AM
Good Grief

6230 Yucca

From Curbed LA
Good Vibrations: Hollywood Project Goes Forward
Friday, July 11, 2008, by Dakota
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2008/0...ncil_votes.php

steven ehrlich architects

Council approved developer Second Street's 6230 Yucca project for the corner of Argyle and Yucca. Musicians and executives at the nearby Capitol Records were worried about noise from the construction site, but the two sides hammered out an agreement with a number of provisions, like using construction trucks with rubber tires to generate fewer vibrations, for example, while Second Street will also create an escrow account that would cover any damages incurred during construction. When completed, the 16-story tower will have 85 condos, 8 live-work units and 14,000 sq. ft of commercial space. [CBS 2/Curbed Staff]

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 9:35 AM

^ Wow, I'm glad the City Council stood up to those irrational, overly sensitive freaks at Capitol Records. That parking lot on Argyle is disgusting and a total blight to the area.

When I went to see Wicked with my family last year (they drove, I rode along), it was VERY SAD to come out of a crowded theater and rush back into our cars parked on surface lots in back of the Pantages almost like we were in some hickville town. The Pantages is located in a such a fringe location where the urban landscape drops off precipitately into a suburban nightmare of surface lots, dilapidated/nondescript commercial buildings and car dealerships. It made me so mad! It just felt so "wrong" to have such a pedestrian traffic generating venue like Pantages (like the Staples Center), but no "LA Live" to act as a net to capture all these theater-goers after the show. I felt like it was such a loss for LA.

That's why I'm very satisfied to learn that the City Council is on the same page as anyone who wants to see Hollywood continue to expand its urban landscape through development connections. Pantages is located in a fringe area now, but after the W Hotel, BLVD6200, this 6230 Yucca condo project, Columbia Square are finished, it'll be in the middle of a thriving area that will be exciting both day and night.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 4:46 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Thank you City Council! Definitely LA Beauty... The Capital Records building will bemome much more attractive positioned with other interesting buildings rather than a sea of asphalt parking lots. Looking at the rendering, I think 6230 Yucca will compliment Capital Records rather well.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 8:46 PM
Good Grief

Hollywood is on fire right now, and if Blvd 6200 breaks ground... eruption!!! There is so much going on right now. Thankfully the subway runs right under Hollywood Blvd.

I have passed Madrone several times, and since it is off Hollywood Blvd, I never realized what a presence it has on the Blvd until I saw this picture.

credit: dktshb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Thank you City Council! Definitely LA Beauty... The Capital Records building will bemome much more attractive positioned with other interesting buildings rather than a sea of asphalt parking lots. Looking at the rendering, I think 6230 Yucca will compliment Capital Records rather well.
That was the same thing I was thinking when I saw this picture of the Palace... I mean Avalon... or what ever it is called this week.

credit: dktshb

It is such a great building, but I always hated how it sat in the middle of those two parking lots. Even though Pali isn't complete, it already looks better. Yeah, I know the picture doesn't show the huge lot on the other side, but let's hope that's developed soon.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 4:22 AM

I am so sick and tired of people complaining about the minor effects urban developments create, both direct and indirect. This is why some things don't get done in this town.
Glad that project next to Capitol Records got approvals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Now that I've seen how they will work on Concerto, I want them everywhere

Where appropriate of course.
Dude, I don't want to sound too exclusive, but they kinda belong here.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Jul 13, 2008 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 5:43 AM

Intersection named "Larry King Square"

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Originally uploaded by CD-13In honor of his 50th anniversary in broadcast journalism, I joined Larry King to announce the naming of the intersection of Sunset and Cahuenga Boulevards as “Larry King Square.” The Square is located at the CNN Los Angeles bureau, where King hosted Larry King Live 23 years.

While most know Larry King for his work in radio and television news broadcasting, his influence in the community has reached far beyond that. The Los Angeles resident has established the Larry King Cardiac Foundation, helped organize relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina, and created a scholarship fund for aspiring journalists from disadvantaged backgrounds. King’s recognition for journalism include two Peabody Awards for broadcasting, and he was inducted into both the Radio Hall of Fame and the Broadcaster’s Hall of Fame.

Posted by lacityorgcd13 at 2:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 9:49 PM

Wilshire Corridor

Any information regarding construction of buildings on the Wilshire Corridor?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 8:00 AM
Good Grief

Club View construction view from an airplane

flickr user: LAXflyer

The Century construction view from an airplane

flickr user: LAX flyer

Does anyone know what is planned for the dirt lot that the arrow is pointing to?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 9:10 AM

^ Twin 47-story towers, and a 12-story tower developed by JMB Realty.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 9:17 AM
Good Grief

^Thanks! So that's where those towers are going. Still haven't seen any renderings or updates on this project.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 4:43 PM

Went to Hollywood yesterday to see Lang Lang perform alongside with the LA Phil. Great performance and the Hollywood Bowl was beautiful!

Here are a few pictures from yesterday.

Madame Tussauds Wax Museum (Summer of 2009 completion)

Pedestrians EVERYWHERE! Hollywood is truly an American gem and will only get better as more projects materialize and expand the urban/pedestrian playground.

This is the new Kress (4-story) nightclub, restaurant, lounge, bar, all in one.
The owner did a beautiful job renovating the structure's interior and exterior. The lights on the front actually change colors (between 2 colors - a light violet and light blue).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 4:49 PM

This is the new LAUSD Middle School built right next to the Wilshire/Vermont station. It looks like it's almost done. Will probably be ready for new students for the Fall.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 8:43 PM

From yelp.com review of The Kress

Found these cool pictures from a reviewer on Yelp.com. This is apparently the next hottest location in Hollywood for A-list parties (used to be the Roosevelt). Justin Timberlake, Jessica Biel, etc. have already checked this new place out. I hope to go myself before it gets TOO hot.

Some pics of the food:

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 9:17 PM

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 10:22 PM

so, Candy Spelling has bought the penthouse at the Century. How nice.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,856602.story

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations