HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Probably shouldn’t leave very young kids unsupervised with someone >75 anyway. And nannies are cheap relative to the probable non-monetary cost of getting grandma to come over.
Spoken like someone who has no kids and probably never will...

If you are procreating you are a useless drain on society contributing to demographic collapse and social decay...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:48 AM
Never Dell

If you're eating, you're wasting time that could be producing value! What a waste!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:30 AM

Quote:
https://www.theweek.co.uk/london-house-prices

If you’ve been “retired” for more than 5-10 years, you are just a useless drain on resources and space.
That sort of mentality is why you aren't nor ever will be in position of power of society.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If you find a nanny cheaper than grandma, you probably shouldn't entrust your child with that person.
As I said, it’s the non-monetary costs of grandma that are less desirable. The nanny will just take her money and leave. I would never want to live within an hour of an aging parent because they will expect to see you all the time. My wife and I have time for one real dinner together per week as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
That sort of mentality is why you aren't nor ever will be in position of power of society.
People in power don’t retire, they take on different roles. A 75-year-old who sits on a bunch of boards isn’t who I’m talking about.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 7:35 AM

Quote:
A 75-year-old who sits on a bunch of boards isn’t who I’m talking about.
If you are referring to me with this you should get your facts together before you make asinine statements as you are way off base.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
If you are referring to me with this you should get your facts together before you make asinine statements as you are way off base.
How could you possibly have interpreted my statement that would have provoked this response?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I would never want to live within an hour of an aging parent because they will expect to see you all the time. My wife and I have time for one real dinner together per week as it is.
Funny, the only reason my wife and I can get out of the house for one real dinner per week is because my parents live about 2 miles from us and are always willing to babysit our kids.

Having grandma and grandpa close by is an extreme blessing once you have kids.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
How could you possibly have interpreted my statement that would have provoked this response?
Okay well, accusing old, retired folks--regardless of how long they've been retired for--being useless drains on society is pure malarkey. I say that as 25 year guy working full time job and going to school. Rarely do I have time to post on more than one board and if you view my posting history you will see interim's of me signing on. It sounds to me you just have an ax to grind with older folks.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 2:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

10023 is just mad because his grandparents loved his siblings or cousins more than him.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Funny, the only reason my wife and I can get out of the house for one real dinner per week is because my parents live about 2 miles from us and are always willing to babysit our kids.

Yeah and probably 98% people would like your situation.

Not wanting your parents to help babysit your kids or wanting to be away from them because they are sooo needy...Jesus, what a selfish mentality.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Not wanting your parents to help babysit your kids or wanting to be away from them because they are sooo needy...Jesus, what a selfish mentality.
This. Saying you want to live far away from your parents specifically because they might want to see you is... mind blowing. Hopefully his parents were abusive in some way so he is justified in being so incredibly selfish. Otherwise, we are very lucky someone like him doesn't have kids. The fewer selfish people in the next generation the better.

Anyway, to get the thread back on track. Went to a party this weekend and talked a few people about this in a roundabout way. Lots of them (all aged 30-35) said they were spending much more time in the suburbs for errands, movies, etc. Seems to follow that as they get more established in careers and make more money, they could conceivably want a second weekend home there.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:

If you’ve been “retired” for more than 5-10 years, you are just a useless drain on resources and space.
This is obviously trolling. I'd say a person from Wisconsin who has nothing better to do than sit around on internet forums trying to impress strangers by pretending to be a bourgeois, old monied Londoner is a far greater waste of space than your average old person

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know a single person living in the city of Chicago who also owns a second residence in the burbs.

Of the few people I know who do own a second home, it's a lake cottage up in Wisconsin or over in Michigan.

Owning a second home in the burbs seems like the worst of both worlds.

Chicago is more the reverse. I have known a number of people who live in Hinsdale or Naperville or someplace and have a pied-a-terre apartment downtown to crash in if work goes late, to stay in after a play, or the Mrs. goes shopping with friends and wants to stay down. That kind of thing.

Not as much city people buying in the burbs, but yes to city people buying in Wisconsin and Michigan for summer places

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 7:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post

Anyway, to get the thread back on track. Went to a party this weekend and talked a few people about this in a roundabout way. Lots of them (all aged 30-35) said they were spending much more time in the suburbs for errands, movies, etc. Seems to follow that as they get more established in careers and make more money, they could conceivably want a second weekend home there.
I've noticed this as well with city slickers spending more time in the suburbs as the scope of "metropolitan activity" gets more diffuse. Not just for stuff that can't really be located in the city like skiing and water/amusement parks, but also shopping, dining and other outings.

And when I say I've noticed it's not just in my own metro area (which is relatively smallish at 1.5 million) but in much larger cities like Montreal and Toronto which are assumed to be almost totally self-contained within their city limits.

Though in my observation it hasn't reached the point where I've observed city dwellers having secondary homes in the suburbs, or vice-versa (suburbanites having a condo in the city).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:18 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
I have a feeling you think "boards" means online message boards.

Think the older meaning of "boards." Groups of people making decisions, like the ones in charge of companies, non-profits, etc.

Not that 10023 isn't saying bizarre things...

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 9:01 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Chicago is more the reverse. I have known a number of people who live in Hinsdale or Naperville or someplace and have a pied-a-terre apartment downtown to crash in if work goes late, to stay in after a play, or the Mrs. goes shopping with friends and wants to stay down. That kind of thing.
That's what we would do. We live in the burbs and really don't want to pack up our shit and move so a small place in town for just that would be ideal.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 9:19 PM
The City

Quote:

Agree

Another idiotic statement from 10023 that we can add to the bucket

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 9:22 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
10023 is just mad because his grandparents loved his siblings or cousins more than him.
^ Here is the group of people in 10023's life that I truly feel sorry for:

1. His parents
2. His grandparents
3. His kids (if he ever has them)

All of them are subject to his disdain on a daily basis

The only thing in the world that he truly loves is his $10,000 couch!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Oh man...I haven't had the chance to read through this thread, but just this page, and wow, that is a zinger.

10023's weird angst against grandparents looking after children is VERY odd! Interesting though.

But hey, gang...he's ELITE! Scary.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
This is obviously trolling. I'd say a person from Wisconsin who has nothing better to do than sit around on internet forums trying to impress strangers by pretending to be a bourgeois, old monied Londoner is a far greater waste of space than your average old person
He is so bourgeois that he has the mascot of the University of Wisconsin as his avatar. Lol. Man, when I think bourgeois, I think Wisconsin........................

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions