HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
To answer your question about the Ikea location, it was near the corner of Akerley and Windmill. It is behind the buildings on Windmill, and the entrance was probably on Akerley, but I seem to remember going in the end closest to Dawn St. It's a long one-story building with a faded red roof. I drove past it on Saturday.
Sounds like it was probably open in the mis 70's, but it is hard to accept that Ikea's first location was in Burnside.
Oh well,
To my best recollection, Ikea was located in this building at the bottom of Akerley: http://goo.gl/maps/sI9Ff

Its appearance has changed a lot since then.

BTW, according to Ikea's website, the first store in Canada was in Vancouver:
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/about_i...1960_1970.html

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 8:58 PM

Mentioning the Dartmouth Shopping Centre brings back lots of memories.

I remember it as the earlier open mall and later when it was enclosed. Living nearby, most of our family's shopping in the pre-Mic Mac Mall days was at the DSC (and the lower Portland Street area).

Here's a pic of what the area looked like in the sixties (this and all images below - source: NS archives http://gov.ns.ca/nsarm/):

How about the old Dartmouth Memorial Arena (I think that's what they called it) on the site currently occupied by the Dartmouth Sportsplex? I can remember being at the Bill Lynch fair on the site currently occupied by McDonalds on Nantucket in the mid seventies when the rink burned down. I'll never forget seeing the flames coming out of the roof of the old rink.

Anybody remember the "Esso" sign on Nantucket that flashed E-S-S-O...ESSO?

Sobeys and Dominion were in direct competition at DSC and Wyse Rd.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 9:28 PM

[/QUOTE]

Directly across the crosswalk form Sobeys was the location of Nova Scotia's first Tim Hortons. The old house on the corner and the small building on the next lot (a small barber shop) were torn down to build the donut shop. I remember they had probably 20 different flavors of filled donuts covered in powdered sugar.... they also sold really great pies. I think it opened in the summer of 1974.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Anybody remember the "Esso" sign on Nantucket that flashed E-S-S-O...ESSO?

In other cities these signs were usually erected on top of a large building. Here, since we had no tall buildings, they were put on the ground.

I also recall an animated neon sign in Downtown Dartmouth for the Royal Bank.

Interesting to see the old Zellers store on the site where Shoppers Drug Mart is now located.

Quote:

I had forgotten all about that Sobeys store. I remember that space later became a McDonalds in the 1970s, and that it burned in the 1980s.

The return of Sobeys just north of this site next year will bring them full circle.
Sad to see that land up the hill from this site that was open at the time which is now a public housing ghetto.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandpat View Post
Directly across the crosswalk form Sobeys was the location of Nova Scotia's first Tim Hortons. The old house on the corner and the small building on the next lot (a small barber shop) were torn down to build the donut shop. I remember they had probably 20 different flavors of filled donuts covered in powdered sugar.... they also sold really great pies. I think it opened in the summer of 1974.
That sounds about right. I remember my parents went there shortly after it opened and brought home some donuts and one of the pies. The donuts were good but the pies were fabulous. I recall they were amazed that they came in a proper metal pie plate, not the foil type usually used in supermarket bakeries. They couldn't understand how they could make money on the pies because of that and the quality for the price charged. Mom had a collection of Tim's pie tins for a while.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
How about the old Dartmouth Memorial Arena (I think that's what they called it) on the site currently occupied by the Dartmouth Sportsplex? I can remember being at the Bill Lynch fair on the site currently occupied by McDonalds on Nantucket in the mid seventies when the rink burned down. I'll never forget seeing the flames coming out of the roof of the old rink.

I believe that is the Miss Dartmouth restaurant near the intersection. The Bank of Nova Scotia is now in that same general area.

I seem to recall a car dealership - perhaps just their used car lot - in the upper part of this lot. I believe it was Teasdale and Foot, which later became Forbes Chev-Olds when they moved to Portland St in the late 1960s.

Nice to see the old Holiday Inn "great sign" across the street.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:08 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
I remember when forest fires in Quebec turned the sky completely orange and black , it looked like the appocalypse was here, also it was the last day of school before summer vaccation that woulda been a terrible day for the world to end.
I remember this so well, I was at my babysitters, we were playing nintendo in the basement and came upstairs to see outside looking like it did, we thought it was the end of the world.. we went back inside and went and hid under couches till our parents came to pick us up. lol

I was only born in 1987, but I've got a lot of interesting memories of Dartmouth from my years growing up, I never really did venture to Halifax other than to visit my Nan who lived up near the water tower on Robie.... I know Wishblade will share a lot of these too, as he grew up not too far from me lol

Every year on fathers day myself, my dad and my grandfather would go on a bikeride together through the woods to the east of Portland Estates, we would go bike in, and then walk around exploring for hours in the woods, such a good time. We went to go one year only to find construction and the start of the then to-be lower part of portland estates and portland hills.

I remember when they were building the back entrance to burnside, akerley/forest hills extension and the interchange at the 118.. My dad had a nifty little 4 wheel drive Honda Wagovan he used for Atlantic Rallycross- and we snuck into the site of the highway while it was under construction and drive around like it was nobody's business in the dirt.. that was a blast.

I remember when they turned the Tacoma shopping centre into a plaza from an indoor mall- also when the separated the K-Mart to tear down the building to put up the Canadian Tire, I thought converting the mall like that was the most interesting thing. I also recall when the lot at the corner of the #7/Main St/Forest Hills was just a dirt lot and there was a farmer clems there every year before they put up the first "big" sobeys I ever remember. While on the topic of retail.. I remember when the portland street superstore had that huge blue and red box canopy-type thing that came off the front of the store that you could drive under, drop people off or load your car with groceries in inclement weather. The good old days of the Penhorn Mall sunday flea market.. and going way back I remember when there was a Woolco at penhorn- where wal-mart took over. In colby village, there was a Towers which was bought out and converted into a Zellers- which is now a new wal-mart. In the same plaza on the opposite end there was a small IGA which later became a superstore.

Halifax water also for years and years only had 1, nasty dingy looking concrete water tower on Mt. Edward Road.. then they put up a new metal one and then painted them both white, I also recall when Telus put up their tower on the same site on top of the hill.. then rogers went to do the same and the entire area got into a big uproar about there being 2 towers, and rogers ended up taking theirs down and relocating a kilometer or so out towards main st/highway.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
In other cities these signs were usually erected on top of a large building. Here, since we had no tall buildings, they were put on the ground.

I also recall an animated neon sign in Downtown Dartmouth for the Royal Bank.

Interesting to see the old Zellers store on the site where Shoppers Drug Mart is now located.

I had forgotten all about that Sobeys store. I remember that space later became a McDonalds in the 1970s, and that it burned in the 1980s.

The return of Sobeys just north of this site next year will bring them full circle.
Sad to see that land up the hill from this site that was open at the time which is now a public housing ghetto.
Never thought about the sign from the tall-building perspective, it was always "just there"... makes sense though.

I remember that Zellers store well. Since I'm not in that neighborhood much anymore, every time I see the Shoppers Drug Mart there it still looks a little strange to me.

Here's another pic of the Zellers store from the sixties (source: NS archives):

I barely remember that Sobeys store, but remember well the McDonalds in the same location (and a bank?). That McDonalds was a popular hangout for Dartmouth High kids after the school dances.

Here's another pic of the Sobeys from the Chronicle Herald:

Sigh... never quite understood the public housing ghetto thing... sure had a negative impact on the neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandpat View Post
I remember that Tim's well... back in the days when everything was baked onsite...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM

Anyone happen to have a pic of the old IGA on Portland near Prince Arthur

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 8:24 PM

Just stumbled onto this thread and wondered if anyone is old enough to remember "The Arrow" dance club which is the first (and last) place I went disco dancing. From there, I graduated to the "Turret"....late '70s.
The Arrow I think was across from the Town Clock.

Also, my father always called the first KFC in the area in Bedford "Colonel Ernie's". Does anyone recall that nickname or was that just my father's fertile imagination...we went there in the early mid-60s when it was quite the thing.

Also does anyone recall seeing Scotia Square when it was just (gigantic) hole in the ground? I remember asking my parents what happened there as it looked like the Halifax Explosion. They said it was "a new mall".
I fell in love with the "idea" of Scotia Square...and the TV ad: "Shopping's never cold or wet...where the Funshine never sets...get the good good feeling. That very special feeling when you shop along the mall at Scotia Square". It wasn't until later when I realized that it was really killing the area around it. I still have a strange affection for it though...as it was the first new development downtown...and looked like Place VIlle Marie which I saw in person in 1970.

One more thing...was what we (and everyone) called "The Gag and Spew"...the Gardenview on SGR removed for the Park Lane Mall? I just returned to Halifax one time and noticed it was gone.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 8:39 PM

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 9:47 PM

I believe there was a Dominion grocery store where Park Lane is now. I vaguely remember going there when I was a kid. I think the Garden View is where Hakim Optical was.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 10:09 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Actually, the Garden View is where HMV was on SGR. The Cameo was a restaurant many years ago where Hakim Optical was and where Tim's is moving. The Arrow was a club replaced by the New Palace, where now HFX Sports Bar is. Colonel Ernie was the name of the franchisee for KFC way back in the 60's - we use to always call it Colonel Ernies. As for Scotia Square, I remember trying to peek into the windows at the new Woolco Department Store which was to open soon... the anticipation of having a department store downtown and a mall as well. It used to be a happening mall and upstairs had Village Square a separate mall made to look like a streetscape with Dick Turpin's Pub at the back end. Ahhh, memories....

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 11:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsond View Post
Also, my father always called the first KFC in the area in Bedford "Colonel Ernie's". Does anyone recall that nickname or was that just my father's fertile imagination...we went there in the early mid-60s when it was quite the thing.

"Colonel Ernie" Edwards met Colonel Harland Sanders in the 50's and the Town & Country Restaurant at 6310 Quinpool Road became the first restaurant in Nova Scotia to serve Kentucky Fried Chicken. It was a very successful franchise and continues today at that location under the KFC logo/brand.

Photo and text source: http://www.halifaxhistory.ca/other-photo.html

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 11:48 PM

Yes, the Town & Country (along with the Flamingo at Bayers Road Shopping Center) was one of my favorite places to go out for dinner in the early 1960s when I was just a kiddo. Despite all the other things on the menu that my parents would order, I would always get the Kentucky Fried Chicken, which in that environment, was served on a china plate with potatoes and veg.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:15 AM

Right you are....The first KFC was on Quinpool Rd. I thought my dad was just doing his usual "thing" but Ernie has a history.
We also enjoyed the majestic cuisine of Ho Ho Hoagies Swiss Steak House. The home baked bread was really very good.
Also, The Ardmore Tea Room introduced a very important saying to our family. My friends went there and ordered eggs "over easy" This was decades ago. The waitress looked at them disgusted and said: "Eggs is eggs. Eat. 'em." That became the catch phrase for any time I acted "full of myself".
Thanks for filling in the blanks guys...and yes, I loved that darkish but fascintating food court on the second floor of Scotia Square.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 2:28 PM

I'm still pretty young at 29, but I can remember back to the early 90's when Bayers Rd, West End Mall, Downsview, and Penhorn were all indoor malls. I'm too young to have ever been in the Lighthouse Tavern, but I distinctly remember the painting of the blonde, nearly naked chick that was on the exterior wall. I would walk from St. Francis school to Barrington to take the 9 home just so I could look at it. I was 11 so I had that sort of child like, pre-pubescent fascination with it.

I can remember when Lacewood, Radcliffe, Langbrae and Farnham Gate just abruptly ended. I thought it was the weirdest thing, especially Lacewood, which had the painted lines right up to the barrier just past Caxton Close. This was the small window in the early 90's when Lacewood Terminal was appropriately sized.

I remember when the DMV was on Young St, and Kempt Rd continued as a one-way ramp on to Robie before the Esso and Tims were built.

I'm fortunate to have been in the North End tavern before it burned down. They had 2-for-1 steaks on Saturday night my wife and I would go there for steaks and beer, among the best steak I've ever had.

The Pizza Hut on Young when it was a full dine-in restaurant with dessert bar.

When the rail spur that ran along Kempt Rd was an active rail line, and waiting at the Lady Hammond Rd crossing for trains to pass.

When the Joe Howe ramp to/from the 102 ended at Dutch Village Rd, and the Keddy's Hotel at the start of the Bay Rd.

Some transit related memories:

The tiny old DSC terminal, soon to be replaced by the only slightly less tiny Bridge Terminal.

When the Classic 4-cylinder Turbo buses first arrived (967-974 and later 975-985). They had elementary school artwork on them for the first bit, and I thought they were so cool. They're nearly on the way out now, but I am fortunate to have been able to drive them.

The tiny GMC fishbowl buses, that always used to be on the 7 in the mornings.

That super-small terminal at Mic Mac Mall that buses had to zig zag through the parking lot just to get to.

The old (and superior) Mumford Terminal outside of West End Mall.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:42 PM

do you remeber when the Dartmouth 'terminal' was on the other side of Nantucket and food could be bought inside?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 2:17 PM

I remember when there used be Gas Station sin Parkades, the Texaco on Granville and the Shell on Abermarle

I remember when Bayers rd was the place to go because it had the only Kettle Creek

I remember when it was just KFC and GreenGable son Cole Harbour Rd

I remember when SuperStore on Portland was the Farm I bought fresh eggs at as a kid

I remember the Capitol on Portland being slanted and you could let your grocery cart go and it would zip to the other side of the store

I remember having to go to Canal St NSLC to get my Liquor License

I remember when Subway opened in Sackville in the early 80s and failed
then a few years later the one on Argyle opened and was the only one for a couple years

I remember all the Arcades, Backstreet Imports, Electric Avenue, Galaxy, Fantasy 2000

speaking of 2000 i remember Sheldon always trying to rip off kids at Odyssey 2000

I remember when it was big deal to drive to Halifax because they had Wendy's and Burger King

I remember lots of fires on Main St
Hub, MT Bellys, Ponderosa then Swiss Chalet in the same spot
and then Swiss Chalet again
the DQ burned to the ground but the sign out front still said come try our "Charbroiled burgers today"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues