HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 2:59 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Provided the RCMP HQ has its two cranes installed soon Halifax could reach a milestone 10 CONSTRUCTION CRANES at work at the same time.
Its good news, especially considering how many of them are institutional and that we could see more if some of the taller residential projects start up.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Its good news, especially considering how many of them are institutional and that we could see more if some of the taller residential projects start up.
On my walk around Calgary downtown tonight; I came up with about 14 - so HRM is doing quite well considering we went from white hot to virtually nothing and starting to heat up again...

Granted with Jamison Place done and 8th Avenue Centre nearly done (thank god; I don't think we could take another piece of falling debris from them; they are at 4 so far...) those had 2 cranes each if memory serves...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 3:09 AM

I've divided the proposed thread into two parts with rumoured projects now being in their own section. It's to properly line up the thread with the maps and also not make people think some rumoured projects have been officially proposed.

To moderate them. Projects will only be listed in this section for one year after the lastest information was made available.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 8:08 PM

Okay this is a massive project but hopefully it'll get done sometime in the near future ...

The developments map is being split into five seperate maps in order to keep Google from splitting the list into seperate pages. Each map will end up being unique but for the most part the follow the existing guidelines used for the original map. The five new maps will be; Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford & Suburbs, Urban Core, and HRM by Design. The original map will still be viewable and since I now have a collaborator it is likely it will be the most up-to-date.

With the exception of the Bedford & Suburbs map all will be in the urban format which means the rum/pro/app/uc/rej (RPAUR) format will be followed for all projects listed except roundabouts which will be represented by a truck icon. In the interest of saving space road projects (excluding roundabouts) will not be shown unless it is a major project (ie Third Bridge).

The Bedford & Suburbs map will as the name suggests be in the suburban format. The RPAUR format will be followed for building developments (placemark) and neighbourhood developments (shapes). Roads (major or outside new neighbourhoods) will be black in colour and in the form of a line. Roundabouts will be marked by a truck icon.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 10:10 PM

The Bedford & Suburbs map is now completed. The link has been provided for the Halifax map (still under construction).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 10:36 PM

Great map!

Couple suggestions.

You have the armco development in eastern passage in there twice.

And there is a new neighborhood going up in sackville by the new margeson Dr. Just to the south of it in the field forest there. Development is about 400 single family/ duplex dwellings, and one or 2 generic 4 story apartment buildings.

EDIT: Here is a link http://www.ramar.ca/Twin-Brooks-Community.php

EDIT 2: That is actually a different one. That is going where sackville golf course used to be on sackville dr, past millwood. I can't find it but I can see the subdivision from my house

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Great map!

Couple suggestions.

You have the armco development in eastern passage in there twice.

And there is a new neighborhood going up in sackville by the new margeson Dr. Just to the south of it in the field forest there. Development is about 400 single family/ duplex dwellings, and one or 2 generic 4 story apartment buildings.

EDIT: Here is a link http://www.ramar.ca/Twin-Brooks-Community.php

EDIT 2: That is actually a different one. That is going where sackville golf course used to be on sackville dr, past millwood. I can't find it but I can see the subdivision from my house
Both Sackville projects have been added (Twin Brooks and Sunset Ridge).

Eastern Passage is included twice because it is a new neighbourhood that has a few significant buildings included. Its similar to the individual buildings listed in the Ravines and West Bedford.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 3:01 PM

The link has been added for the HRM By Design Map.

There isn't a whole lot of projects right now but if anybody has the general information about the Venus, NFB, and any other downtown projects it would be appriciated.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The link has been added for the HRM By Design Map.

There isn't a whole lot of projects right now but if anybody has the general information about the Venus, NFB, and any other downtown projects it would be appriciated.
What is the Venus project?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 12:49 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Maybe Venus Envy is doing a major expansion.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 3:08 PM

New feature I'll try to post every month or so. Basically these are projects listed in the first post that have the potential to start construction at anytime.

PROJECT WATCHLIST:

HALIFAX:
Gottingen Towers
Gottingen @ Cunard
Lucknow Street
The Alexander
International Place
Barrington Espace
City Centre Atlantic
Craigmore Condos
Waterton II
Rockcliffe
Larry Uteck Projects

DARTMOUTH:
249 Windmill Road
Victoria @ Ochterlonely
Hector Gate Offices

BEDFORD/SACKVILLE:
Larry Uteck Projects
Southgate Village
Stongington Park A
Dockside A&B

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
the venus pizza building proposal, I think

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 1:00 AM

Just a heads up I have a massive phototour I'm going to upload onto the forum sometime tomorrow or Monday so some active threads are going to get buried quickly.

There's photos of about 18 different projects ...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2010, 2:17 PM

If anybody is wondering about the status of approved/under construction projects I was by all but two approved projects listed, and all of the under construction projects listed over the weekend. So with the exception of Rockcliffe Village and Waterton II, I can guarantee all of the information in the two categories are up-to-date (except construction start dates but in HRM those are widely unpredictable).

- DJ

Old Posted Oct 13, 2010, 4:22 AM
we built this city

Also, Bayview could start anytime?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 1:03 AM

The Halifax and Bedford Suburbs maps are now updated.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 9:23 PM

Just some changes to the Halifax map. Becuase of the high number of projects on the Peninsula, the Mainland portion of the old city will not be included on the map. Instead I'll add it into the Suburbs section later on. Also after discussion with another collaborator rumoured projects are being removed in favour of recently completed projects (6 months after construction has fnished). These will be shown as a light blue colour.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome

- DJ

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 2:33 PM

From the Halifax Herald...

Looks like a building downtown could be changing hands...
Joseph Howe Building draws $14.9-million bid

By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Tue, Nov 2 - 4:53 AM

A Halifax company has submitted a successful bid in for the the Joseph Howe Building on Hollis Street. (Eric Wynne / Staff)

Universal Properties Management Ltd. submitted the highest bid to buy the Joseph Howe Building in downtown Halifax from the province.

The Halifax company bid $14,976,000 for the building, which the province won’t own until 2012 when the term is up for a lease-to-own purchase agreement dating from the 1980s.

The next closest bids came from George Ramia, at $10,150,000. United Gulf Development Ltd. bid $9,250,000, Southwest Properties Ltd., $9,151,000, and Dexel Developments Ltd., $9,007,000.

But Mani Suissa, the president of Universal Properties Management, said it could be late January before he knows if his company will take over the 13-storey Hollis Street building.

"It’s probably going to take awhile before they do the calculations, so I don’t know if I got it," Suissa said Monday.

The building now houses the Health Department, Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission and other offices.

Suissa said he is looking at two options that include moving the Justice Department into the Joseph Howe Building or simply taking it over and renting it out as an office building.

Under the second option, he estimated Universal would likely need to spend $10 million to $15 million to "rectify" problems with the building and make sure it meets Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) green standards.

"The location is excellent," Suissa said.

The 35-year-old structure has been described as a sick building and requires an estimated $36 million in renovations and upgrades. The province expects that cost would be greater than leasing space downtown after 2012.

Maureen MacDonald, who is now health minister, said in 2007 that some staffers refer to the building as "13 floors of misery" and one man has been working from his house since June because of the conditions. Some workers have described symptoms such as respiratory problems, fatigue and headaches.

The deal to buy the building, reached with Centennial Properties (1978) Ltd. on July 30, 1987, said the province agreed to lease 114,210 square feet of office space and 3,094 square feet of basement storage space for 25 years, starting Sept. 1, 1987, and ending Aug. 31, 2012, at a rate of $18 per square foot, or $2 million, annually for the first 10 years and $22 per square foot, or $2.5 million, annually for the remaining 15 years.

The agreement also said the tenant pays all operating expenses, including "maintenance, operation, (protection), repair, reconstruction and supervision, but not management of the premises."

Suissa’s company has been managing the company for 18 years.

It was built by his father-in-law, Ralph Medjuck.

"It’s close to us, this property, for a lot of reasons," Suissa said.

( clambie@herald.ca)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:03 PM

Developments - Suburbs Map

Major work done to this map over the last couple of weeks. Halifax Mainland is now part of the map so everything outside of Peninsular Halifax and Dartmouth are now included. Future major roads are shown in black (where future routing is known) and transportation projects are now indicated by a thumbtack symbol. Recently completed projects have been added and are indicated by a light blue colour.

One interesting pattern I noticed making this was the "clumps" of projects in certain areas. Middle Sackville has its new collector roads and subsequent subdivisions north of Lucasville, Bedford has its ever expanding southern and western areas (aided by some in nearby Halifax as well), and the Mainland Commons area has five projects all under construction.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 5:19 AM

Though its not completed yet I've added the link for the Dartmouth map. Also new districts are in use for Dartmouth now.

- DJ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth