HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 4:35 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg
Maybe they should just close the city down and move it to downtown Toronto.
I suggested that, but TROC thinks it would be too much expense for such a hopeless city.

I liked that proposal, but I really doubt it will go through all the way. It's too 'unusual' for the rest of the city. Personally, I think it's a bold idea, but it needs a bit more work to make it perfect. Some of it's elements don't fit in just right, and it looks a bit off balanced. Great concept though.

You should post some of that at tbchat.com, maybe bring up a conversation or something over there.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 4:51 AM

Of course all that orange and red and stuff isnt actually in the design damn a-cad lol. Tbchat.com? never been maybe spark some interest over this topic and get people to talk some sense into the new city council when they come in.. tell them to stop being so freakin old and get with the times lol

...i hate all the old people here...

Im glad to see some proposals going out there though. more will come in time. but its kinda slow when we only have 3 certified B.Archs in town and one M.Arch in town. i will pst more when i can

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 5:19 AM
I am a typical

It isn't the colours I don't like, its the massing. It looks a bit uneven, I think. Some elements need to be moved or made smaller/bigger, etc. I like those colours, though. There are too many monochromatic buildings in this city.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 11:43 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Here's a pic i snapped in late September of North Bay's newly completed high school (the 6th in the city), the other pic is of a site directly across the street of a new elementary school that was just beginning construction, the steel frame has since been erected since the photo was taken. These new schools are located in a new residential area that is being developed near the city's ski hill, the area is surrounded by long existing neighbourhoods, so it is actually an infill development as opposed to suburban sprawl.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 2:03 PM

" It isn't the colours I don't like, its the massing. It looks a bit uneven, I think. Some elements need to be moved or made smaller/bigger, etc. I like those colours, though. There are too many monochromatic buildings in this city."

I know this city wont fly for this but maybe add on a small mall inside that building to even it out the design? i mean cities like Red Deer have like 2-3 Large malls in the city and we unfortunatly only have one... and it is now turning into the Box Store district... *sigh*

well im on my way to the archs office.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 11:06 PM
I am a typical

We have Intercity, County Fair and Arthur Street Market, those are the larger malls. Northwood Park, Grandview and Victoriaville are the other three. Including other smaller indoor and strip malls, and we probably out-mall Red Deer.

Big Box Districts, properly known as Power Centres, are the 'wave of the future' in the science of turning society into a blasphemous waste of molecules occupying a city's ex-urban hellscape. They're morally and ethically wrong.

A few high and shoppes and restaurants inside the building would be quite lovely, though. Something else to do on the waterfront other than whatever that building was for.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 6:28 PM
Movin' on up

I really like that waterfront developement proposal for Thunder Bay. It would complement the city quite nicely. I think Thunder Bay is a beautiful city that is severly underrated. I am origionally from Winnipeg, and loved to get out to the Shield's sunset country of Eastern Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario when I had a chance. The areas between Hadashville, Mb. and Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. are the most beautiful in the world, and I hope to one day settle down somewhere out there. So many lakes, so much fishing. Oilberta ain't got nutin on this area

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 9:22 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Today i took a couple of shots of the progress of the new transit terminal and of one of the facade improvement projects on Main St. For the latter i added a 'before' pic i took of the same location last year.

Before:

After:

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 11:27 PM
Aimless Wanderer

2006 was another all-time record year for construction in NB.

From www.baytoday.ca:

The City of North Bay Building Department released the 2006 building permit statistics, which revealed a record-breaking $101, 264,797 in construction last year.

Included in that figure is $30 million for the building portion of the water treatment plant, currently under construction. If that building were excluded, as it is a one-time anomaly, the $71,264,797 total still surpasses the previous record set in 2004 by over $180,000.

The construction year included 86 single family homes, a robust industrial/commercial mix, and a large institutional component. The single family dwellings represent the third-highest number constructed in a single year, and while they are expected to slow somewhat in 2007, should continue to remain strong compared to North American trends. The industrial/commercial sector saw construction in the Gateway Industrial Park for the first time in over a decade, many expansions of existing businesses and industries throughout the city, and a new 100-unit Holiday Inn Express currently under construction adjacent to the Information Centre. The new French Public Elementary school and the renovations at Ecole Secondaire Algonquin led the institutional component.

All City departments were involved in making North Bay ‘Open for Business’. The creation of the DART group (Development Application Review Team) was a significant improvement in how applications are handled. The group, comprised of all applicable City departments, assembles to meet with applicants at one time, streamlining the approval process and resolving issues before they get out of hand.

The Building Department ultimately issued a total of 750 building permits, while continuing to implement the changes mandated by the Province under Bill 124.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2007, 6:29 AM
I am a typical

Some info from Thunder Bay. F. Lionel at tbchat.com took the time to compile a list.

Actual Construction -
Unnamed Retail Space at Thunder Center (Near Isabel Street Entrance)
Days Inn North (Junot St)
Unnamed Public School (Sherwood Park)
Holy Cross School Expansion (Jumbo Gardens)
Hilldale Seniors Complex (Hilldale Road)
St. Bernards School Expansion (River Street)
Sacred Heart School Expansion (Franklin Street)
The Beer Store Expansion (Red River Road)
Cascades Mill Modernization (Shipyard Road)
Unknown Retail Space (Arthur Street beside Fat Cats)
Plymouth Landing (Montreal Street)
Commercial Development (Carrick Street behind HSBC)
Roadway Expansion (LU)
Baseball Central Expansion (Baseball Central)
Shabaqua Extension (between Expressway and Twin City Crossroads)
Gore Motors Expansion (Memorial Avenue)
Ecole Catholique Franco-Superieur Expansion (River Street)

Proposed & Approved -
Shopper's Drug Mart Relocation (McIntyre Centre)
A&P Expansion (Arthur Street Marketplace)
Emergency Training Center (Hammond Avenue & Confederation College)
Site Improvements - Security Berm (Marina Park)
Skate Park (Marina Park)
Phase Two Condos (Former Pine Street on School Red River Road)
Medical Clinic (Golf Links Road)
Hospice (Reaume Street - I don't remember the organization's name)
Widening of Red River Road (between Clarkson & Junot)
John Street Resurfacing (Algonquin to Expressway)
Marriot Hotel and Restaurant (Carrick Street)
Husky Truckstop (Alloy Drive)
Unknown Retail Building (Fort William Road & Burbidge Street)
New Railyard Overpass (Brown Street)
Relocation of Broadway Avenue (Neebing Ave south of Bowater)
George Jefferies Children's Treatment Centre (Franklin St.?)
07JA10-Reconstruction of Balrose Bridge at intersection of John Street Road.
07JA10-New gymnasium/library/classrooms at Algonquin Avenue Public School. (I went there. )
07JA11-Renovations of Uncle Frank's into restaurant, hotel and water park. (Neebing)

Other Proposed but not Finalized -
Two Third Party Research Buildings (LU)
New Courthouse (Site Unknown - Possibly Southside Downtown)
Unknown Retail Building (Thunder Centre - Main Street Entrance)
Walmart Expansion (RioCan Centre)
John Street Overpass (Water Street)
The Athletic Club (County Fair Plaza)
Thunder Bay Gymnastics Centre (Duluth Road)
Lake Superior Place (Marina Park)
Grain Terminal Interpretation Centre (Marina Park or Kam Heritage Park)
Can-Op Expansion (Fort William Road)
Farmers Marketplace (11th Avenue)
Tim Hortons (South James Street)
Flying J Truck Stop (Innova Park)
Kam River Pedestrian Bridge (Kam Heritage Park)
Cruise Ship Terminal (Marina Park)
Dollarama (Arthur Street Marketplace)

Not much, but it's not too little either. See how things look when someone takes time to do them? If I didn't break my camera on Wednesday morning, I'd go and get some pictures!

Last edited by vid; Jan 18, 2007 at 11:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 2:39 AM
Aimless Wanderer

^ Nice list!
Another new Hotel is coming to North Bay.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 10:21 PM
I am a typical

Big plans for city landmark
Tb News Source | Web Posted: 1/11/2007 3:58:03 PM

Some major redevelopment plans are in the works for a Thunder Bay landmark. After being owned for over 60 years by the city's Colosimo family, the Uncle Frank's Supper Club property on Highway 61 has been sold and the new owner has a wide-ranging, three phase plan to transform it.

The new owner, Sioux Lookout businessman Dick Davidson, completed arrangements to acquire the property in mid-December. Davidson says he's hoping to create a 'Village mall' type concept on the 40-acre plot of land that would provide a range of services for the large residential population in the area, as well as others using the Highway 61 route.

In the first phase, he hopes to re-develop the restaurant and add an upscale grocery outlet, a banking centre and a coffee-sandwich shop operation. Additional phases would concentrate on more retail space and eventually, a hotel/waterpark complex. He estimates total development costs at over $12-million.

Davidson says the key hurdle initially will be obtaining a highway/commercial rezoning for the 850 feet of frontage on the property, something he hopes to apply for this spring. If all goes well, construction could proceed as early as this summer. In the meantime , Davidson says he will continue to consult with neighbors in the area and look for possible partners to join in the project.

Sounds interesting. It will complement the hockey centre and hotel/convention centre already in downtown Neebing.

(Downtown Neebing and Downtown Shuniah are both in Thunder Bay, because we ate them.)

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 10:29 PM
Movin' on up

Has anyone heard if they are going to re-develope that Minaki Lodge that burnt down a while back?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2007, 10:43 PM
I am a typical

They decided not to, so no. It will remain a burnt out ruin, to be reclaimed by the boreal forest.

Unless it was cleaned up? I don't know. I stopped following it after they decided not to rebuild though. There are lots of other lodges now anyway.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2007, 11:04 PM
Aimless Wanderer

I just heard on the local TV news that the second new NB hotel is to be a 200 room Holiday In Suites, so it seems like a pretty good bet that it will be a little on the taller side if the 100 room hotel already under construction is 4 storeys. Hopefully the second hotel will be twice the height of the first one, but we'll see.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 12:29 AM
I am a typical

265 rooms.

But we do have a six story one with 126 rooms, so who knows? You could get a 10 story one. If it's half the length as the Prince Arthur, it would be 20 storeys.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2007, 10:07 PM
Aimless Wanderer

I think that the new hotel here will have a much smaller footprint compared to the pic you posted, given the size of the lot that it will be constructed on. At least i hope so!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 7:20 PM
I am a typical

Well here's hoping it's ugly!

j/k. I'm just jealous is all.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 11:36 PM
Aimless Wanderer

^ That's right - take that Thunder Bay!

Here are a couple of development related articles from the Timmins Daily Press that I came across.
http://www.timminspress.com/webapp/sitepages

Downtown receiving facelift

Chelsey Romain / The Daily Press
Local News - Friday, January 12, 2007 @ 10:00

The Timmins and South Porcupine downtown cores are in need of a facelift and city officials are looking to the public for input.

Next week public meetings will be held to help develop a streetscape plan, that would help revitalize both the Timmins and South Porcupine downtown areas, said city intermediate planner Andrea Griener.

"A streetscape plan brings a special or unique atmosphere to the community," said Griener. "It's more visual, with a common look and feel throughout the area."

During the meeting, participants will be asked to take a walk through downtown to make any observations about what a common theme should be for the areas, what kind of things create barriers for mobility and what items would help spruce up the area.

Typically, a streetscape plan covers everything from building facades, green spaces and outdoor furniture to parking, the width of streets and sidewalks.

"It's different people with different perspectives walking the downtown together," Griener. "They'll notice different things and point out unique features.

"It's a good learning tool."

Should the temperature drop too low next week, Griener said the walk may not take place, but said organizing the meeting in the winter will help decide what ideas will function all year long.

"The reality is we deal with snow most of the year," said Griener.

The streetscape plan comes after the city introduced the community improvement plans for both areas last year. The plans outline grants and loans to be available to business owners looking to give their business a facelift.

"We're not starting from scratch," said Griener, adding that there has been surveys and a project allowing high school students to give their ideas.

"A lot of those ideas have been pulled out."

To date only Sault Ste. Marie has begun its own revitalization project, while Griener said North Bay is four to five years ahead of the pack, with both a downtown and lakeside project completed.

The last time the Timmins downtown received a new look was 25 years ago, when the interlocking brick was laid in the streets and the lamp posts were erected.

"It's time things need to be re-assessed, the common feel is not there," said Griener.

"We've learned some things from the last project and it's time we go back and look at some ideas."

The public meeting for the Timmins downtown core will take place on Jan. 16 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Timmins Public Library and in South Porcupine at the Maurice Londry Community Centre on Jan. 17 from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

The streetscape project is set to wrap up in March, but it could take up to six months for ideas to be implemented.

Northern cities question exclusion from provincial growth strategy

Scott Paradis / The Daily Press
Local News - Friday, January 12, 2007 @ 10:00

A provincial growth strategy doesn't include Northern Ontario, and a representative of a regional business advocacy group says he intends to find out why.

Steve Kidd, Northeastern Ontario Chamber of Commerce chairman, wrote a letter to the provincial government about its Places to Grow Act, which outlines a growth strategy to urban southern Ontario cities.

"They're identifying areas where they want to put some energy for growth," Kidd said. "We feel Northern Ontario should be identified as a growth area."

A sluggish forestry sector has stalled growth in a number of Northern communities. Bad forestry-related news has also caused a number of cities and towns to shrink.

That doesn't mean growth is non-existent in the North, Kidd said.

"We feel Northern Ontario should be identified as a growth area," he said. "There's enough energy from the mining sector ... and we have a lot to offer."

Kidd said he's disappointed that Ontario didn't considered any of the five major Northern centres- Timmins, Sudbury, North Bay, Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay.

The province, however, isn't excluding the North from being classified as a "growth area," said Amy Tang, spokeswoman for the Ministry of Public Infrastructure and Renewal.

She said the area selected for the "province's first ever growth plan," was the Greater Golden Horseshoe because it will likely see "phenomenal" growth in the coming years.

The act is not meant to suggest that the government doesn't recognize Northern areas as growing. Instead, it addresses the massive growth facing one particular region, she said.

Ministry statistics show the Greater Golden Horseshoe may house an additional four million people over the next 30 years. The Greater Golden Horseshoe area includes cities such as Windsor, Barrie, Niagara Falls and Hamilton.

"The Greater Golden Horseshoe has been selected as the first region for a (provincial) growth plan," Tang said. "It doesn't mean it will be the last."

Kidd said he sent his concerns to the provincial government in the form of a letter in mid-December.

So far, he said he hasn't heard a response.

That letter was sent to John Gerretsen, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, but representatives from that ministry said it wasn't responsible for the Places to Grow Act.

The letter may have been forwarded to the Ministry of Public Infrastructure and Renewal, but that couldn't be confirmed by press time.

Kidd said he plans to get other Northern-based groups involved in lobbying the government to provide parts of the North with its own growth plan.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 12:46 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay may be running a bit behind, but this city council has promised that by the end of their term, work will at least have started on the waterfront and Downtown Fort William will be greatly improved.

I have suggested turning Cumberland South from Red River to Pearl into a residential mall, but I doubt that will happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario