HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:07 AM

The thing is – once that whole residential component is built up (and likely another hotel or two), The Forks doesn't need to rely on being a "destination" as much anymore. As busy as it is at times in winter and summer now – it's still quite quiet outside prime skating and dinner hours. When people live there, and there are just more people around in general – they will be busier, at more times.

Also, does the city really need to "sell" the land to The Forks (at least at full price), an organization which they own 33% of – and is going to start generating them a lot more tax revenue. The Forks already maintains all the roads (except Pioneer) and sidewalks surrounding Parcel 4, for "free"

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Also, does the city really need to "sell" the land to The Forks (at least at full price), an organization which they own 33% of – and is going to start generating them a lot more tax revenue. The Forks already maintains all the roads (except Pioneer) and sidewalks surrounding Parcel 4, for "free"
I would think they do have to sell the land, even if it's a formality. When all the legal requirements are not followed, it potentially opens the doors to someone with their own agenda coming around later making waves about how the process was "fixed".

I also noticed in the article posted that the city was ready to sell the land to The Forks twice but the Corporation wasn't ready to buy until now. I hope people notice this, as I suspect there is the potential for some city council bashing over how they are "messing things up".

I personally like the idea of some residential in the area. I don't think it will negatively affect the market and other public amenities b/c there's nothing else like it in the city. As long as the future residents don't start complaining about all the "tourist traffic"!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
As long as the future residents don't start complaining about all the "tourist traffic"!
It will be inevitable. It’s Winnipeg. Just look to the noise regulations in the exchange. You’ll have a bunch of brand new condos going up that only rich old people can afford. At the same time the whole concept is to reduce parking. It could be a recipe for disaster. I’d personally prefer to see the lots preserved until something is truly worthy of being built there. Instead of condos I’d rather see a glass exhibition hall go up behind city tv, something that could house farmers markets, conventions, banquets, craft shows and touring exibits. I’d rather see Parcel four grassed over with a public baseball diamond or soccer fields instead of building offices for skip the dishes... there’s empty lots all over downtown that are more appropriate sites for boring offices. Id rather see that land saved for something grand like a new arena or something one day.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:32 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
It will be inevitable. It’s Winnipeg. Just look to the noise regulations in the exchange. You’ll have a bunch of brand new condos going up that only rich old people can afford. At the same time the whole concept is to reduce parking. It could be a recipe for disaster. I’d personally prefer to see the lots preserved until something is truly worthy of being built there. Instead of condos I’d rather see a glass exhibition hall go up behind city tv, something that could house farmers markets, conventions, banquets, craft shows and touring exibits. I’d rather see Parcel four grassed over with a public baseball diamond or soccer fields instead of building offices for skip the dishes... there’s empty lots all over downtown that are more appropriate sites for boring offices. Id rather see that land saved for something grand like a new arena or something one day.
I don't think so, condos in Exchange are appealing to young people too. Successful young professionals and graduates likely prefer them. I also think you need more people living in downtown to allow for more attractions to thrive

"It's Winnipeg", hearing this again it just makes me cringe

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:39 PM

You can’t really compare buying condos in the exchange with buying condos at the forks though... the exchange has all different types of housing in and around it. Renovated older buildings and apartments allow for more affordable living options. The exchange has homes for all different types of incomes and demographics, the forks with its new builds and the “high end” designs that it wants won’t be affordable for lower income demographics. if you isolate the area along waterfront drive that’s the kind of people that will end up at the forks... do you ever see anyone on the street there? How are all those storefronts doing?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^All of the residential buildings for Railside are/could be ready to start shortly but are being held up by some politics happening with the City and Forks (presumably this exchange regarding parking and Parcel 4).

I have talked to a few of the architects and contractors and they are just "waiting".....frustratingly.
Maybe a dumb question, but why would early phases of Railside development be held up by the sale of Parcel 4? As I understand/stood, development would move from south to north, and Parcel 4 is still years away.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but why would early phases of Railside development be held up by the sale of Parcel 4? As I understand/stood, development would move from south to north, and Parcel 4 is still years away.
From my understanding of what was reported yesterday, the forks wants control of parcel 4 to relocate current parking to before commencing on the build in their current lots.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:01 PM

It looks like the forks wants to be made whole for the lost revenue stream they will incur when the surface lots they currently own are developed.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:36 PM
There is always a way

Yeah but they dont get to dictate those terms to the city. That's kinda stupid. If they're so concerned they should build some more parkades. Even better they should develop some of the land themselves and include a decent amount of parking for visitors.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah but they dont get to dictate those terms to the city. That's kinda stupid. If they're so concerned they should build some more parkades. Even better they should develop some of the land themselves and include a decent amount of parking for visitors.
I’m not sure they are trying to dictate anything.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:46 PM

They will be building parkade (s) too. Seems like they need places for people to park in the interim so development can get started. They can't guarantee that without owning the parcel 4 lot and are willing to pay market value.

There is also a parkade and surface parking already there for visitors. Not sure why the hubbub.

The long term vision is to provide better transit service, reduce waterfront to 4 lanes south of York, in an effort to reduce vehicles traveling to the site. Parkades being built are to serve the residents of the new developments.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They will be building parkade (s) too. Seems like they need places for people to park in the interim so development can get started. They can't guarantee that without owning the parcel 4 lot and are willing to pay market value.

There is also a parkade and surface parking already there for visitors. Not sure why the hubbub.

The long term vision is to provide better transit service, reduce waterfront to 4 lanes south of York, in an effort to reduce vehicles traveling to the site. Parkades being built are to serve the residents of the new developments.
Do we know for sure that the new parkades are strictly for residents? I was wondering about that.

In the end people will just have to get used to the idea of parking and walking a bit. Which isn't unheard of in destinations like the forks.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:25 PM

From what I remember they were for residents. However, maybe I don't quite remember that correctly. I'd be curious to know what the newest plan is. As things have evolved from the original days of towers.

There will still be the public parkade that is there now.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:37 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
The exchange has homes for all different types of incomes and demographics, the forks with its new builds and the “high end” designs that it wants won’t be affordable for lower income demographics. if you isolate the area along waterfront drive that’s the kind of people that will end up at the forks... do you ever see anyone on the street there? How are all those storefronts doing?
Are you sure that's the case? I guess I don't personally recall, but I'd be a little surprised if it was for high income people only.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The thing is – once that whole residential component is built up (and likely another hotel or two), The Forks doesn't need to rely on being a "destination" as much anymore.
I think people overestimate the amount of people that are going to be living here. It's 12 acres, with mostly 4-floor condo buildings. That's peanuts in the grand scheme of things, especially considering this is going to likely be a decade or more of build out. My guess would be at least 20 years for Railside, as I'm not sure how much of a market there is for high-end condos next to one of the busiest rail lines in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 4:34 PM

^ It'll be interesting to see how the developers mitigate noise and vibration from the railway. Thicker walls, better windows, foundation buffering. All these are recommendations in the rail proximity guidelines.

Maybe we'll get more info once the parcel 4 thing is resolved and Jordan releases some plans.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 9:56 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I think people overestimate the amount of people that are going to be living here. It's 12 acres, with mostly 4-floor condo buildings. That's peanuts in the grand scheme of things, especially considering this is going to likely be a decade or more of build out. My guess would be at least 20 years for Railside, as I'm not sure how much of a market there is for high-end condos next to one of the busiest rail lines in Canada.
Busiest? Really? Our lines through town carry 140 trains/day, I don't think there are anywhere near that through Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 12:52 AM

It’s fun to watch all the trains go by in your backyard, isn’t it?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Would it be any different than all the houses / Apartments that are going up next to the CP Mainline in North Transcona. Two big apartment complexes went up in the last few years next to the CP mainline at Peguis and Concordia Ave E.

And to the west of the apartments on the south side of the tracks are all the new houses in Crocus Meadows. There is just a wood fence between your lot and the tracks.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:08 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
It’s fun to watch all the trains go by in your backyard, isn’t it?
Two km away. But yeah, nice to be somewhere with actual commerce and regular rail passenger service.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan