Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 5:49 PM

How Car-Clogged Houston Could Be a Climate Policy Leader

May 21, 2020

By Nolan Gray

Read More: https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...sprawl/611893/

Plan: http://greenhoustontx.gov/climateactionplan/

Quote:
April was supposed to be a big month for Houston city planning. America’s largest unzoned city was poised to host the American Planning Association’s national convention for the first time, bringing thousands of attendees to town. Walking tours were arranged; awkward cocktail mixers were scheduled. Of course, with a global outbreak of the coronavirus, it wasn’t meant to be. Undeterred, Houston quietly adopted the Bayou City’s first citywide climate action plan on the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. If city leaders can pull it off, America’s sprawling oil capital could end up teaching a lot to more traditionally green urban strongholds.

- The plan includes plenty of mainstay climate-policy prescriptions, including calls to electrify the city’s fleet of vehicles, switch to renewable sources of energy, and improve energy efficiency in buildings. But then things become rather unique. The city’s first bicycle master plan, adopted in 2017, gets a lot of play, as does the MetroNEXT Moving Forward plan, a widely lauded $3.5 billion push to overhaul mass transit in the notoriously auto-oriented city. The emphasis on mobility makes sense, since nearly one-third of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions come from transportation, and Houston maintains one of the highest rates of automobile use in the country. --- Toward this same end, one of the plan’s more innovative proposals calls on policymakers to eliminate minimum parking requirements by 2030. While Houston famously lacks zoning — meaning that it doesn’t segregate uses or restrict densities, it still enforces some conventional land-use regulations. These include minimum parking requirements, which mandate that developers build off-street parking for each project, regardless of actual demand. In Houston, this can mean up to two parking spaces for every apartment or four spaces for every thousand square feet of office space.

- In pursuit of less driving and more energy efficiency, the plan also calls on policymakers to rally behind infill. With the proposed “Walkable Places Ordinance” and “Transit-Oriented Development Ordinance,” a blend of improved sidewalks and light design guidance could soon improve the pedestrian experience in Houston’s potentially walkable nodes, reducing the incentive to drive. With minimum parking requirements gone, small patches of walkable urbanism could soon take root among some of the Sun Belt’s most notorious sprawl. --- Indeed, Houston’s infamous lack of zoning could end up being one of its greatest assets in pursuing climate goals. Without all of the anti-density baggage that comes with zoning, from apartment bans to an onerous approvals process there is relatively little standing in the way of a rapidly densifying Houston and all of the environmental benefits it brings. The city has a long way to go before it becomes anyone’s idea of an environmental exemplar. But if all goes according to plan, Houston could soon rank among those cities that have scrapped out-of-date parking requirements.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 6:36 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Houston needs to do more with mandatory parking minimums. So far, as mentioned in the article, the steps taken, are half measures and not enough. And it needs to be city wide, not just a few gentrifying areas.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:20 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

That's neat, and then they can go on a driving tour around the "Ranch at Bridge Plantation" in Cypress to see what the unfortunately more politically influential and populous half of Houston thinks about climate change...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
That's neat, and then they can go on a driving tour around the "Ranch at Bridge Plantation" in Cypress to see what the unfortunately more politically influential and populous half of Houston thinks about climate change...
Or the sprawling ExxonMobil Campus cut out of a forest, 30 miles north of the centralized downtown area they vacated.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 7:48 PM

City Lab writers are on hard drugs or just have very very low IQs.

The worst shit I've ever read always comes from them.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

there are always sites where they are on much more drugs and have lower iq's:

city data.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:26 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

city data.
city-data = karen.com

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

city data.
True but City Data is just a random internet forum. City Lab's nonsense has the illusion of legitimacy as media and their bullshit gets shared like it is here.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post

May 21, 2020

By Nolan Gray

Read More: https://www.citylab.com/perspective/...sprawl/611893/

Plan: http://greenhoustontx.gov/climateactionplan/

Atlanta, are you listening....???

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Hey, no drug shaming...lol.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 7:29 PM

I wish I had the optimism to believe humanity has enough time left for Houston to catch up.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I wish I had the optimism to believe humanity has enough time left for Houston to catch up.
There'll be something like 50 billion human beings on Earth in a couple hundred years from now, or maybe even sooner. The world population has been growing at such a mad rate...

You know what? Some will even be crazy enough to give some love to your Houston.
C'est incroyable, n'est-ce pas ?

I'm fed up with ambient pessimism and people complaining all the time like spoiled kids.
That's no positive attitude.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
There'll be something like 50 billion human beings on Earth in a couple hundred years from now, or maybe even sooner. The world population has been growing at such a mad rate...

You know what? Some will even be crazy enough to give some love to your Houston.
C'est incroyable, n'est-ce pas ?

I'm fed up with ambient pessimism and people complaining all the time like spoiled kids.
That's no positive attitude.
Unlike Paris, Houston is only 50 miles (80 kilomètres) from the coast. And only a little more than 12 meters above sea level. Somebody, not you, not I, will see if it's still around in 2220.

Last edited by bilbao58; Jun 12, 2020 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:49 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Houston has been implementing green energy policies for decades. There is nothing for it to “catch up” on.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Houston has been implementing green energy policies for decades. There is nothing for it to “catch up” on.
Oh please. I was born in Houston in 1958. Spent some of my childhood, most of my teenage years, and most of my adult life there. Houston is still almost totally dependent on cars and, if electricity ever becomes too expensive for the average person to afford air conditioning, the city will empty out faster than you can say “I’m gonna die if we don’t get a Blue Norther soon!”

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 3:40 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Yes it depends on cars because most of it was built after they were invented but it has also done a lot for the environment over the past two decades.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Yes it depends on cars because most of it was built after they were invented...
You don’t say? Most of it was built after I was born. Shoot, my earliest memories of Houston go back to 1962... most of it was built since then. The city still depends on cheap energy. The entire state of Texas depends on cheap energy. I’d hate to live here if/when energy becomes unaffordable.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Car-Clogged Houston
Houston is car-dependent, but it isn’t car-clogged. L.A. is car-clogged. Manhattan is car-clogged. It’s been almost 30 years since I’ve driven in Toronto so I can’t say if it’s clogged or not. Houston is surprisingly easy to navigate by car for such a populous place. Sure, it’s worse than it was 20 years ago, but it’s still not difficult enough to get people to abandon their automobiles.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:13 AM

^ Toronto is like a Sun Belt city: even the city proper is mostly post-war. The GTA is very much a place built for cars, as you've probably seen from my threads. Wide roads and huge freeways everywhere, included 12+ lanes wide Highway 401. But the suburban bus systems still growing rapidly. It's very easy to drive around Brampton and Mississauga as well, but their bus systems have 3 times higher transit ridership per capita than Harris County.

Look at a place like Las Vegas. The Las Vegas metropolitan area had less than 50,000 people in 1950. It is place that was built almost entirely in the automobile era, with no rail system, but the metropolitan area has twice the per capita transit ridership of Houston's.

Even nearby Dallas saw 30% increase in bus ridership in 2019 just from simple bus service increase and restructuring. 30% ridership increase in one year! It doesn't take much effort.

Getting people out of their cars isn't about making using cars "difficult enough", but rather making the alternatives easy enough. Even half-hearted TOD measures in new subdivisions can make a big difference, as you can see in Brampton. Making driving "more difficult" will not help if you keep on ignoring the alternatives.

Getting people onto transit isn't about starting a war on cars, it's about ending the war on public transit.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 3:35 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Oh please. I was born in Houston in 1958. Spent some of my childhood, most of my teenage years, and most of my adult life there. Houston is still almost totally dependent on cars and, if electricity ever becomes too expensive for the average person to afford air conditioning, the city will empty out faster than you can say “I’m gonna die if we don’t get a Blue Norther soon!”
That would be true if everything were built to earlier energy code standards. But modern energy codes are slowly but surely trending towards Passive House standards or similar low-energy high-occupant-comfort building standards.

Though I've never been there, Houston is notorious for having extraordinarily hot and swampy summers due to its proximity on the eastern coast next to the ocean and near the path of many tropical storms. For me, the combo of high humidity and high temperatures is the worst.

So how would Passive House standards help Houston? Passive House standards focus on decreasing a building's energy usage in regards to HVAC while also focusing on occupant comfort.

Decreasing HVAC usage is obvious and important. Overall, a Passive House building should use anywhere from 50-90% less HVAC energy than a normal code-standard building. That translates to significant energy savings, especially if you add solar panels or other on-site clean energy generators.

Occupant comfort is based on the science of what humans perceive as comfortable. All humans are different, with some preferring cooler temps while others prefer warmer. However, there is a general range of temperature, air humidity, and air velocity that humans will deem as comfortable. To meet Passive House standard criteria, the building should be designed so the indoor conditions fall within these general ranges on comfort.

Luckily, both HVAC energy savings and occupant comfort go hand-in-hand. The general gist of the design is as follows:
1. Have enough wall, roof, and floor slab insulation. People generally understand wall and roof insulation, but find floor slab insulation to be a foreign concept. Floor slab and foundation wall insulation is very important in cold climates, where the winter soils and suck out a lot of heat from a building.

2. Air and vapor seal the entire envelope of the building. This is especially important in a humid climate like Houston's. Humid air, like all fluids, will always try to normalize. If your building's indoor air is drier than the outdoor air, the humid outdoor air will seek every crack and cranny to try to enter you building. Passive House standard requires air-sealing a building until it meets 0.3 air changes per hour (an air change is equal to the total volume of indoor air).

3. Install high quality windows, doors, roof hatches, or any other openings. This is important for two reasons.
- One, windows generally have the worst insulation performance of all parts of an exterior wall. Studies have shown that without a decently-insulated window (or in industry parlance, a less thermally-conductive window), increasing the wall insulation even to crazy high R-values will have diminishing returns if bad windows are used.
- Generally speaking, double hung and sliding windows are considered too leaky (see point 2), so only fixed, casement (including hopper and awning), and tilt-and-turn type windows can meet Passive House standards. Windows and doors play a very important part in air-sealing a building.

4. Because the Passive House-standard building is so airtight, occupants will experience "sick building syndrome" without proper ventilation. To combat this, Passive House buildings use Heat Recovery Ventilators or Enthalpy Recovery Ventilators.
- These ventilators have been gradually improving over the years to increase efficiency. They are designed to constantly run at low energy and low fan speeds 24/7, and bring in fresh filtered outdoor air while exhausting out stale indoor air.
- To reduce the energy demand, the system is designed to exchange heat depending on the season. During a cold winter day, the stale warm indoor air being exhausted out transfer some of its heat to the cold fresh outdoor air coming in. During the a hot summer day, the hot fresh outdoor air transfers some of its heat to the cold stale indoor air being exhausted out.
- Enthalpy Recovery Ventilators (ERV) also allow humidity to be transferred between the supply and exhaust air. During the wintertime, it helps retain the indoor humidity by transferring to the dry outdoor air coming in. During the summertime, it helps remove the moisture of the fresh outdoor air by transferring it to the stale exhaust air.

We now know that Passive House buildings reduce ongoing operation costs (HVAC), and they also increase occupant comfort. What other benefits do they have?
1. They require less complex and less expensive HVAC systems. This helps save on up-front mechanical equipment and design costs.
2. They can extend the lifespan of a building. There is often invisible mold and mildew building up inside wall cavities. This can be either due to a water leak, or moist air condensing on the colder building components and not drying out. When this is discovered, the affected building components must be disposed of and replaced with new building components. With Passive House designs, this problem is essentially eliminated.
3. They can drastically improve the indoor air quality. Normal buildings are either ventilated through the HVAC system or through the outdoor air seeping its way through every crack and cranny in the building envelope. In Passive House design, the air is ventilated almost exclusively through the HRV or ERV system, which includes a filter to pick up any pollutants and dust from the outdoor air.

One other note:
1. Whereas traditional HVAC systems are focused on sensible cooling (dry air temperature), latent cooling (moisture and humidity management) is more important in Passive House buildings. This is because the good insulation and fenestration mostly takes care of the sensible temperature part. On the other hand, even with good air-sealing and a good ERV, the humid Houston air will tend to find a way into the indoor space (just at a much lower rate than most buildings).
- The way most A/Cs work is that they remove moisture by blowing the warm moist air over the cooling coils. The cooling coils condense the moisture to be drained away, and the cooled air is drier. The problem is that the air is only dried if the cooling coils are operating and remain cold. This is especially true for "oversized" cooling systems, which cool a space too quickly to dry out the air.
- To overcome this flaw, A/Cs are being developed to send the air through a condenser that turns on if the cooling coils aren't on in order to continue to dry the air.

So if you are living or working in a building properly built to Passive House standards, unless you throw your windows and doors wide open during the swampy summer, the only discomfort you should feel is when you are outside in the hot muggy air. You should feel little discomfort inside. And you should feel little pain when it comes to seeing your monthly electricity bill (at least in terms of HVAC costs - your other electrical costs will depend on your usage).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions