HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:26 PM

US cities with sizeable Black immigrant populations

NYC and Miami/Fort Lauderdale obviously have the largest Black immigrant populations - I suspect African Americans with roots in the South are outnumbered by those of Caribbean origin in those cities.

A lot of Black immigrants in Boston too - both Caribbean and Cape Verdean.

The DC has a large Ethiopian population in its metro area and likely a good number of Black immigrants in sheer numbers - though the "non-AA" component would represent a pretty small percentage of the overall Black population.

Then there's smaller Black centers where East Africans have had a very signficant demographic impact like Minneapolis and Seattle.

I will dig up some stats a little later...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:30 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

DC has a large and prominent West African population too. I'm not aware of the numbers.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:41 PM

By observation, Denver seems to have a decent Ethiopian and Eritrean population (concentrating outside of the city proper in Aurora).

I haven’t met very many people from Southern Africa in the United States. Usually it’s West Africa or East Africa. I’m curious: do many make it here, or do they tend to emigrate to other parts of the world (or not emigrate at all)?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:45 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
NYC and Miami/Fort Lauderdale obviously have the largest Black immigrant populations - I suspect African Americans with roots in the South are outnumbered by those of Caribbean origin in those cities.

A lot of Black immigrants in Boston too - both Caribbean and Cape Verdean.

The DC has a large Ethiopian population in its metro area and likely a good number of Black immigrants in sheer numbers - though the "non-AA" component would represent a pretty small percentage of the overall Black population.

Then there's smaller Black centers where East Africans have had a very signficant demographic impact like Minneapolis and Seattle.

I will dig up some stats a little later...
Minneapolis is not "smaller", it's actually got some of the largest in the country, although not as many as NYC.

I can't find much data on Chicago, which is weird, except for a 2013 article that stated that 43,000 African immigrants lived in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:53 PM

Not a US city, but I know Windsor does and they frequently hop the river for work.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 8:54 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Around 45,000 Somalis live in Columbus.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:04 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I haven’t met very many people from Southern Africa in the United States. Usually it’s West Africa or East Africa. I’m curious: do many make it here, or do they tend to emigrate to other parts of the world (or not emigrate at all)?

I think it's mostly a function of population. The most populated parts of Sub-Saharan Africa are the Western and Eastern bits. And South Africa excepted, the more populous parts of the south are mostly former-Portuguese and French/Belgian colonies, so that's where most of their emigration is directed.

South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, and Angola are also generally the most prosperous African countries, if I'm not mistaken. Though I'm not sure that's enough to prevent much out-migration.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:31 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

I bet you can't help yourself huh?

But it is I who mentions racism in every topic right?!

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I think it's mostly a function of population. The most populated parts of Sub-Saharan Africa are the Western and Eastern bits. And South Africa excepted, the more populous parts of the south are mostly former-Portuguese and French/Belgian colonies, so that's where most of their emigration is directed.
Quebec has quite a few recent immigrants from Congo, Rwanda and Burundi, which are in the African Great Lakes region of the southern-central part of the continent.

These are former Belgian colonies but as you allude to, they lean towards the French language as the Belgians imposed that language (as opposed to Flemish ) when they colonized the region.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:58 PM

Re: Minneapolis - I said that it's a smaller Black center, not a smaller Black immigrant center. Black immigrants and their children make up a very large percentage of the overall Black population there. There are probably more African immigrants in the DC area than in Minneapolis-St. Paul, but it's a small percentage of the overall Black population, given that is much, much larger (1.5 million vs. maybe around 250,000 or so).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 9:59 PM

Most immigrants from South Africa are white. In Toronto, there's a fair sized number of South African Jews.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Re: Minneapolis - I said that it's a smaller Black center, not a smaller Black immigrant center. Black immigrants and their children make up a very large percentage of the overall Black population there. There are probably more African immigrants in the DC area than in Minneapolis-St. Paul, but it's a small percentage of the overall Black population, given that is much, much larger (1.5 million vs. maybe around 250,000 or so).
In the few months that I spent traveling to Minneapolis last year, it seemed like most black people there were Somali descendants, or recent descendants of other parts of Africa.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:10 PM

I think Minneapolis pretty much missed out on the Great Migration, it was only around 5% Black in 1970 I believe. The "native" AA population I think largely moved there from places like Chicago and Milwaukee.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 10:17 PM

Minneapolis has the largest Samali American population, with Columbus, Seattle, San Diego, and Washington DC having large populations as well. I noticed on my visit to Minnesota some time ago, there are also Samalis living in rural towns outside of Minneapolis as well.

Of the Afro Latino population, I’m sure the prize goes to New York City, with Miami up there as well.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:03 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Large Nigerian population here in Houston. Sizable Somali population (for its size) in Portland ME.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:08 PM

I don't know about other sub-Saharan African nationalities/ethnic groups, but according to Wikipedia, Los Angeles County unofficially has around 60,000 Ethiopians, supposedly the 2nd largest Ethiopian-American population in the US.

Los Angeles even has an official "Little Ethiopia" neighborhood, the only such official designation in the US.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 11:29 PM

New York might have large numbers of purely African immigrants, but I've noticed huge numbers of Jamaicans and black Caribbean islanders in the NY region. Sometimes I wonder if there is anyone left in Jamaica, such a small island but so many immigrants in the NY metro region.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:15 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Sometimes I wonder if there is anyone left in Jamaica, such a small island but so many immigrants in the NY metro region.

Jamaica's population is still slowly growing, but its diaspora is definitely out-sized given its population. There are 2.8 million people in Jamaica, vs 1.3 million Jamaican-born emigrants elsewhere.

Including all people of Jamaican ancestry, there are 800,000 in the UK; 740,000 in the US; and 309,000 in Canada. You don't wonder if one day it couldn't eventually become a bit of a "Caribbean Ireland" (with the effect of 38 million Irish-North Americans vs 6.7 million in Ireland).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Of the Afro Latino population, I’m sure the prize goes to New York City, with Miami up there as well.
Yes, though Afro Latinos in the U.S. rarely self-identify as black.

They're Latino for most demographic purposes. On the Census form, they won't look that different than, say, Mexicans.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 12:59 AM
BANNED

Largest Ethiopian population centers in the U.S. (in no particular order): DC, Dallas, Los Angeles

Largest Nigerian population center in the U.S.: Houston

Largest Somali population center in the U.S.: Minneapolis

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions