HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I read that Polycorp shipped the 5 Moes off to the Valley to hang a few pieces of siding on a project there. They should be back in a year or so.
Did the Moes make it back from the Valley, or is that piece of siding still giving them trouble?

When I drive down Gottingen and look at the new developments with main floor 'commercial', the main floors are all empty. Maybe over time it will change.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 7:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
When I drive down Gottingen and look at the new developments with main floor 'commercial', the main floors are all empty. Maybe over time it will change.
The same is true for a lot of commercial spaces in residential buildings in other parts of the city. The Barrington Terrace ground floor retail was empty for a while, for example. Not sure if it has a tenant now.

It seems a bit wasteful but over the long term I could see these spaces filling up, and it is important to keep an inventory of commercial spaces along retail streets like Gottingen. It's probably not much of a loss because ground floor condo units fronting onto Gottingen would not be very desirable.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The same is true for a lot of commercial spaces in residential buildings in other parts of the city. The Barrington Terrace ground floor retail was empty for a while, for example. Not sure if it has a tenant now.

It seems a bit wasteful but over the long term I could see these spaces filling up, and it is important to keep an inventory of commercial spaces along retail streets like Gottingen. It's probably not much of a loss because ground floor condo units fronting onto Gottingen would not be very desirable.
It's happening in a lot of places - I think the areas just haven't reached the critical mass needed to make the spaces desirable yet. I know a few new buildings in the west part of DT Calgary where the commercial spaces are failures because the population isn't quite there. It will come.

The thing I would avoid (at all cost) is allowing office to go in though...that would just ruin the street.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 5:42 PM

Theatre Loft Courtyard

Photo by me

Here is the courtyard of Theatre Loft, facing toward Creighton St. The real estate agent tried to sell it as a common area where you can spend time with your neighbours. Unfortunately, it's not really a usable space. Definitely not a space where you would feel comfortable hanging around for extended periods of time.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:12 PM
BANNED

This is still a good try. Though you're correct about its limited usage, I'd still find time for this space if I was a tenant, especially during the summer

I wonder if tenants are allowed to BBQ...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post

This is still a good try. Though you're correct about its limited usage, I'd still find time for this space if I was a tenant, especially during the summer

I wonder if tenants are allowed to BBQ...
It's been awhile since I spoke to the agent (I'm in Ottawa for a term) but if I remember correctly: no BBQs are permitted, they will block either the walkway or neighbour's door, and no smoking in the courtyard (I agree with the smoking ban). When we walked through the courtyard and a couple of units I kept feeling claustrophobic (normally not an issue) and everything felt cheap and temporary. I worry that the owners will be stuck with huge maintenance bills (sooner rather than later).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

To me it does look more like a walkway than a courtyard.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 8:26 PM
Urban Thinker

Yep, defiantly a very nice walkway. It just ain't no courtyard.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
It's been awhile since I spoke to the agent (I'm in Ottawa for a term) but if I remember correctly: no BBQs are permitted, they will block either the walkway or neighbour's door, and no smoking in the courtyard (I agree with the smoking ban). When we walked through the courtyard and a couple of units I kept feeling claustrophobic (normally not an issue) and everything felt cheap and temporary. I worry that the owners will be stuck with huge maintenance bills (sooner rather than later).
Well... maybe I'd hang a bird feeder then.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 2:08 AM

I've seen a few good examples of courtyards throughout various cities; but it seems to me that in the cases I've seen, the lots were much wider. Thus allowing the buildings to be separated a greater distance - allowing more space. I think in this case - the lot was too narrow but they hoped it would still work out.

This will be a tough challenge to get past with the way it ended up; but I still think the units will sell - they just may end up being cheaper than originally expected.

I think if they had done the courtyard setup on a space like the parking lots south of SGR; those lots would be wide enough that you could get the two buildings and then common courtyard and it could work. But this makes me wonder who their designer was? Or if they had a designer that had done courtyards before?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 8:45 AM

The residential part of the building is 100% sold now, although I haven't heard of any prospective commercial tenants yet.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
The theater reference is right. I remember hearing that the intent was to actually have a screen that would fit in that space & occasionally they would actually have films there (watch from you balcony kind of thing. In practice...we'll see. I'm not sure how they would mount a projector. Would be cool if they did do it though!
It would be cool if they did this for Nocturne. It would also be pretty cool (with a much different effect) if they did this 24/7.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:12 PM

Street level:

There are two retail spaces, one on each side
probably could have done a better job with street feel though

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth